Achilles Desert Hawk XM/T

Achilles Desert Hawk XMT Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Isuzu (265/50 R20 Q) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
I have just recently purchased an Isuzu D-Max 4 x 4 with these Dessert Hawks fitted, driving in the rain I had to make a sudden maneuver to avoid a collision and the entire back of the ute fish tailed, immediately I decided to replace them for road tyres. New Zealand is always wet
0 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2019
Given 81% while driving a Toyota hilux (265/75 R15) on mostly town for 25,000 average miles
I’ve been running a set of these in 31/10.5/R15 for the last year and the only complaint I have is they are shocking on wet bitumen like the slightest turn of the wheel and you are sliding about. In saying themat tho after about 30 minutes of driving the tyres handle slightly better in the rain. I’ve been through bug holes without a problem. I’ve snatched mates up hills you can’t walk up on foot. The amount of grip these tyres have is unbelievable, you add that with the self cleaning and they are unstoppable. I’ll defin buy them again. I’ve done 25,000 ks on them and still have around 50% tired left on them. I would have more but let’s just say they wear a lot when spinning the wheels on bitumen.
4 - tyre reviewed on November 29, 2018
Given 33% while driving a Nissan Navara 3.0L V6 (265/65 R17) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
I had a set of xmts on my stx450 navara and they were deadly with he slightest hint of rain on the road, they lasted me 20,000km before they came off my Ute because they were getting worse and worse and knobs had started coming off after 15,000km
I puke never buy these again and I urge people for their own safety to steer clear
16 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2018
Given 30% while driving a Toyota hilux (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
These tires literally fall apart when put into any situation that you would need mud tires. Fast gravel grip is ok.
23 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2018
Given 96% while driving a Ford F 150 (235/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
I've had these on my truck now for a year. They are great tyres! Very good traction in the mud, self cleaning works well. They ride smooth with little noise, good handling on wet or dry pavement. Show little signs of wear. I would purchase them again.
33 - tyre reviewed on June 23, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Toyota FJ Cruiser (305/70 R17) on a combination of roads for 20 spirited miles
If you need a tire to take you anywhere your vehicle is capable of going, this is the tire that will get you there. I've driven thousands of miles on the open road across terrain from rough pot-holed city streets to mud, sand, gravel, snow and 12000 feet above sea level crossing the Rocky Mountains and exploring desolate regions of Southern Utah in winter, at times making my own road. I would have have trusted my life to these tires when help would either have taken days to reach me or not at all. I rarely run a set of mud terrain type tires more than a couple of years (averaging 15,000 miles/year) and when it's time for my next set I will be reordering these. I only wish the raised black letter outlines came in white so I wouldn't have to paint them myself.
27 - tyre reviewed on December 3, 2016
Given 61% while driving a Jeep Wrangler 4.0 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 4,000 average miles
Tires are a good value for the money. I have about 4000 miles on them, no sign of wear yet. Tires size 31-10.50 r 15, are on 97 Jeep Wrangler, no lift, fairly stock setup, 4cylinder 5 gear. For an aggressive mud tire, they are surprisingly quiet on highway, with reasonable handling manners at 50- 60 mph. As good as any Goodyears or BFGoodrich I've had in past.
Good grip in dirt / gravel, seem to clear ok in moderate mud. Looking forward to seeing how they run in snow soon; I live in northern New England.
20 - tyre reviewed on October 9, 2016
Given 81% while driving a Ford Ranger (265/70 R15) on mostly country roads for 45,000 average miles
I had these tyres on my fully loaded work vehicle. I do a lot of miles on the highway and when I get to the work site I do a lot of driving off road, mostly in mud.

These tyres handled very well in all conditions. Grip is fine in the dry, never had any problems.

Tyres were excellent on wet roads and really seem to disperse water - you can see jets of water being thrown out the side as it drives along. Never had any problems with traction in the wet.

They work very well off road. Driven slowly in mud they manage to grip the surface without breaking it. So forward traction is maintained and the wheels did not bog in or sink. When full of mud they cleaned themselves very quickly.

They are noisy on the highway.

I frequently drive over stakes and nails on work sites but had no problems with punctures.

The thing I liked most was the fantastic life of the tyres. I got over 45,000 miles (70,000km) out of them in some very hard conditions. When I replaced them they still had some good useable tread left.

Yes - I replaced them with another new set of Achilles X-MT. I have had a few brands and these have been the best so far. I even managed to sell my old set for a decent amount of money because they still weren't worn out!
10 - tyre reviewed on July 17, 2016
Given 38% while driving a Toyota hilux (265/65 R17) on mostly country roads for 25,000 spirited miles
Not bad wear. Good off road traction and good in the dry but very scary in the wet. I've had the back end step out on me around corners too many times. Even pulling out to overtake in the wet can end up with me just spinning the rears. Even in a gutless old hilux. I'm looking for another tyre now
19 - tyre reviewed on April 28, 2016
Given 29% while driving a Nissan (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
Brought a set of 20" Achilles xmt mud tyres they were down right dangerous on the road in the wet.The car would fish tail if I turned the steering wheel side to side

223 - tyre reviewed on July 15, 2015