Avon 3D Ultra Sport

Avon 3D Ultra Sport Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 91% while driving a Suzuki 2000 vatari jx2.0 (180/55 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
My bike isn't standard, it has modern running gear, is much lighter and goes very nicely thankyou very much ! I like corners and like my tyres to communicate well. I bought a pair of 3D ultra sport tyres hoping press reports were accurate - they are.
Scrubbing them in didn't take long and with temperatures in the low teens the tyres felt really planted, the front is especially brilliant, it's one of the most dependable fronts I've ever used - always leaves a feeling that the corner that felt like you were pushing it a bit was easily done and could've been pressed harder. The front does need to be run at 36 psi, not lower like I tried to start off with, the rear feels good at 38 psi - I altered the suspension to get the best feel/decent comfort/control. They're a fairly sporty feeling tyre for turn-in, the rear more domed than my recent tyres, but the rate of turn is great for the road. My bike is around 205 kg fuelled, so not heavy, these tyres would seem to suit sporty, sports tourer and sports bikes, I read one review by someone with an FJR1300 who wasn't pleased that the tyres didn't wear like Pilot road 4s, those are sport tourer tyres, not the same.
The tyres are fairly new, so I don't know how long they'll last, if the rear last 3000 miles I'll be very happy, I prefer sporty characteristics to longevity and they fill that requirement nicely. For the price they're brilliant, for any price they're damn good ! Will I buy again ? damn right I will !

I don't know too much about wet weather riding with these, on damp roads they're good though and start to communicate pretty quickly.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 13, 2019
Given 92% while driving a Kawasaki ZX636 (180/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
brilliant road tyre, fast warm-up, feels good and confidence inspiring.
3d ultra sport have stuck like glue from the first ride, no slides just grip- and fun.
front tyre profile gives pretty neutral turning but still easy to change your lines quickly.
a noticeable improvement on my old bridgestones, which took much longer to warm up and always felt remote.

too early to talk about tyre life, but after 2 weeks and 500 miles, the tyres look unused.
highly recommended for middleweight bikes.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 8, 2017
Given 97% while driving a (190/45 R17) on for 0 miles
I have a Benelli TNT 1130 Evo Sport. Bike is a bit of a handful but in a good way. It came to me with Metzlers and in all honesty I have now had two bike with these tyres and they just don't work for me. Changed onto £d Ultra's and boy my bike has become even more enjoyable and I can now ride within militias with confidence. I live in the south of France so rain is not a problem. The Avons are a really good tyre and I would recommend easily to anyone with a big HP bike.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 27, 2017
Given 92% while driving a Aprilia SL1000 Falco (180/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
Having come from a set of premium Dunlop SportSmart 2 tyres, I was expecting the Avons to feel like the poor relation. I am pleased to say that this is in no way the case. These Avons are grippy, predictable, quick to turn in and very stable. I can't comment on their limits as I haven't yet found the limit on the road, but have happily reached the edge of the tyre, so they clearly inspire plenty of confidence. I've not used these in the wet yet, but have no reason to doubt their ability. Only done 500 miles, so can't yet comment on lifespan. I'm definitely getting a set of these on my R1. Great tyre!
0 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2017
Given 80% while driving a Triumph Street Triple R (180/55 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 2,500 spirited miles
Avon 3D Ultra is a great tyre on road and track, grip is terrific as is feedback. The drop into corners is very linear and predictable. I've had them slide a bit on damp roads and this too was very predictable and not the least bit scary. They're not quite as expensive as similar tyres from the big manufacturers. The only downside is the rate of wear, my rear tyre is wearing out after 2500 miles, the front is giving about 4500 miles. I would like to try the Supersport or the Extreme but I don't think my bank manager would like it. I only ride recreationally on road and occasionally on track and allow my throttle hand a lot of freedom, a more leisurely approach would yield better mileage but if you're looking for longevity these are not for you.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 18, 2016
Given 89% while driving a Acura KTM 690 Duke 2008 (160/60 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 7 spirited miles
Bought in pairs with a 120/70ZR17 on the front. Now on my second set: first set was entirely A & B road work, one up 99% of the time in all weathers. Found them to be excellent in the dry (edge to edge riding a doddle) and above average in the wet. These lasted approx 4,500 miles. The rear was on the stops, the front could have done maybe 1,000 miles more.

The second set went touring (2,500 miles so far), taking in 80% A & B roads, 20% motorway. Again in all weathers - one day especially was not far off waterfall territory! The rear did spin up a few times on the motorway, but this could have been down to the fact the fitters overinflated the tyres to start with.

These are the best Avon tyres I've ever had and feel just as capable as the Michelins that come as standard on the bike. Should easily last more miles than the first set (probably down to the motorway miles).
0 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2013
Given 80% while driving a Yamaha R1 (225/45 R17) on track for 6,000 easy going miles
great tire only 6000km drive me but its grip is great and I really liked the agility behavior in water have good grip
29 - tyre reviewed on September 3, 2012