Bridgestone A001

Progressiveness 80%
Bridgestone A001

The Bridgestone A001 is a High Performance All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 43 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 500,216 miles driven.

185/60 R14 82H   F B 72
185/65 R15 88H   F C 72
195/65 R15 91H   E B 72
205/55 R16 91V   F B 72
215/55 R16 93V   F B 72
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Bridgestone A001. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

195/55 R15 £67.80 - £87.58 (6 prices) Compare Prices >>
195/65 R15 £46.66 - £57.43 (6 prices) Compare Prices >>
205/55 R16 £57.37 - £66.49 (6 prices) Compare Prices >>
215/55 R16 £92.98 - £114.49 (2 prices) Compare Prices >>

Bridgestone A001 Reviews

Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo V70 2.5 (195/60 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
Scotland - Volvo V70 - an excellent tyre well suited to the northern climate.
Wet grip is excellent in winter and summer, and deep water at speed doesn't upset them. You can fly into a cold wet roundabout and nothing scary will happen, they stick and keep on trying at the limit – i.e. progressive. Summer wet grip is also excellent with no apparent degradation in grip.
Never got stuck in snow, not that they've had to deal with a lot of it.
Also excellent in the dry, the only time I noticed any “squidging up” was on a hot summer's day down in Kent when the tarmac temp must have been in the high 30s.
Steering response remains good with only a little tread-block “wibble-wobble” (the sort you can get with blocky tread patterns, as experienced in greater amounts on other all-season tyres). You might notice it a bit on a performance car.
They are well worn down now but still excellent wet grip, no increase in noise or any rumbling. As for noise, a wee bit noisier and you get a bit of whirring in fast corners.
I'd buy them again but will try the Michelin cross-climates, just to see if that makes any difference to the steering response.

I suppose an acid test is this – in light snow/ice I take this car rather than my Toyota RAV4 (4x4) as the Volvo on the Bridgestones steers/stops noticeably better than the RAV4 on it's Kuhmo summers – I'd say for snow traction the RAV4 on its summers/4wd is equal to the Bridgestones on 2wd. (Note though the RAV4's tyres are too wide for snow, but it does have a ride height benefit which makes a difference on deeper stuff). I wish the Bridgestones came in the RAV4's wheel size - I'd put them straight on...
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2016
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Scenic (185/65 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
These are decent tyres.

One word review? Neutral.

Three word review? Neutral, safe, predictable.

If you wish to know more, read on...

I havent found the reported handling attributes or supposed masses of wet grip but what I did find was a balanced, neutral tyre, safe in all areas that wears fairly well and is better than reported in snow and ice.

Snow performance on the front driving wheels was never tested, but on the back they proved to be a godsend and a nuisance, depending on how you looked at things... What I mean by this is that they were bloody good, never stepping out, locking up, being nervous, and should you wish to touch the handbrake it was like throwing anchor! This is where the nuisance part comes in. When it snows, I like to find somewhere out of the way to play and/or practice car control... these ruined that as any attempt to invoke a slide resulted in the car slowing down rapidly with the slightest of rear movement which would instantly pull back in line with the rest of the vehicle. Once, just once, I managed almost a 180, and I had to do 20+mph before throwing the car round and pulling the handbrake. It still pretty much stopped the car dead and overwhelmed the front Dunlop winter tyres, making almost as much movement at the front of the vehicle than the rear...

Wet and dry behaviour has been tested on both ends of the car, and is good. Nothing more to say really than that, just good! I'd like to say they were excellent, dynamic, really good in 'x' area but I can't. The handling is neutral, not sharp with crisp turn-in, but not sloppy and mushy either. They are safe and secure in wet weather, stable in the dry. They do however shift a lot of water, and are very predictable.

Wear has been good, I bought them 3 years ago and are currently residing at the back of the car showing probably just shy of 3mm tread after being on the car almost constantly since purchase, 4 months off and 5 months on the front during this period.

In a nutshell, if you want a neutral, safe, predictable tyre that will be there for you all year you can do a lot worse, but in the summer upfront you'll feel the all season thing as you round the bends or come to a stop.

I'd have some more for sure if they came at a silly price or free, but I'd buy something else otherwise because I like sharp handling and better tread behaviour in the dry.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on September 19, 2015
Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Yaris (165/45 R14) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
After reading the reviews here I decided to fit them to my yaris, to replace the mixed junk that was on the car. Easily the best tyre I have ever driven on, transformed my Yaris into something thats fun to drive! Fantastic levels of grip with a good sidewall that doesn't fold under very hard cornering. Noise level when I first put them on was shockingly loud but this has toned down after a couple of thousand miles of hard driving. Superb dry stopping distance and a good wet weather performance. Can't comment on wear as I have only done 3k on them.
There that good my mate who's been 30 years in the car trade asked what I was running after borrowing the car and purchased some for his car!
Spent ages reading reviews and went with these, hoping the top reviews for this tyre were on the money and not written for money and it's safe to say these reviews are correct.
Brilliant tyres.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on May 31, 2015
Given 96% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Yaris (185/60 R15) on a combination of roads for 22,000 average miles
Superb all year option. Very safe in the wet, as good as a summer tyre in the dry and with the added bonus of cold/snow/ice performance for 95% of the UK. Why fit anything else?
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2015
Given 84% (breakdown) while driving a Hyundai (175/65 R14) on mostly country roads for 300 spirited miles
Had them since Oct.Been brilliant in heavy rain and some muddy surfaces.
Good on frosty/icy days.Some noise but can live with that.Mpg down by 3-4%,but can accept as feel much safer.Have impressed two others who went off to get some!
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2015
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Citron C3 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 2,000 easy going miles
I fitted these tyres replace the michelins on a citroen c3. They have improved the handling and road holding ability of this car by 100%. They feel very assured in driving in all conditions. I have just been using them in the wintery snow covered conditions and they have not let me down. They break very well. Quite simply one of the best all round tyres you could put on a car. My neighbour is so impressed he will be fitting them to his Lexus..
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on December 30, 2014
Given 99% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
A super tyre in all conditions! Ive had many tyres from the leading makes over the years, pirelli,goodyear,michelin,avon,verdestien and I cxan honestly say that these tyres are the best all round ive ever had. the only ones that matched them in the wet were the verdestien ones I had (ive forgotten which ones they were). They are super in the wet giving super confidence on a very wet motorway for example and also they are good in the snow, no more silly summer tyres for snow driving, these tyres just grip with no problems. I dont think for my Mondeo that I will look at another set of summer tyres from any manufacturer again and will deffintaly be putting another set of these on the backs when my pirelli rear tyres wear down as I only have these A001s on the front at the momment.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2014
Given 84% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Laguna Phase II (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Great tyres,Give confidence in every condition.Both our cars have them all round and wear slowly.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2014
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9 5 2.2 TiD Linear Estate (215/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 33,000 easy going miles
Now @ End of life on the second set on the front. Both sets consistently lasted over 32K miles (surprisingly previous summer Goodyears and Michelins 22K). Also unlike previous tyres, still performed well when down to 2mm even under stress. Never put a foot wrong under any condition (heat, rain, snow...). Resistance to aquaplaning at motorway speeds was particularly impressive. Amazing product. Note it is directional and you can't swap wheels to the other side of the car.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on October 29, 2014
Given 53% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Laguna II (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Possibly the worst tyres I ever had. On wet roads, several times the car
broke out in a curve. Never again.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2014