Continental Eco Contact 5

Show all: Continental tyres, Passenger Car Summer Premium Touring tyres
The Continental Eco Contact 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 16 tyre reviews averaging 81% over 62,853 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Continental Eco Contact 3

86%

76%

77%

Continental Eco Contact 5 Reviews

Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Clio IV TCe 90 (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 14,000 average miles
I have these tyres on my Renault Clio TCe 90 as OEM factory fitted tyres. During the first 4-6 months, they were 'ok' but soon after, these tyres became the most uncomfortable, rigid, noisy bumpy tyres I've had. And this is a situation of history repeating itself. Had the EcoContact 3 on my previous Renault Twingo and same thing happened. They are so uncomfortable, so unsettling, so rough and noisy that you will not believe that all this is coming from the tyres. Once, I had a bearing hum noise coming from the rear and I was 100% sure that it was the rear bearing since it had all the properties of a defected bearing (increase with speed, more on turns etc..) Went to my mechanic, almost ready to buy the wheel bearing when all of a sudden, he told me that surely it's not a bearing since the wheel free rotation was perfect. Changed the tyre with the spare wheel and the noise vanished! Incredible! Replaced my front tyres with brand new Goodyear Duragrip (which are relatively cheap to buy) and was astonished with the EXCELLENT comfort, grip, quietness and precision! And they lasted with such good characteristics for, at least 5 years!

On my new Clio, 1 year on, exactly the same problems. Will be replacing them with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance in the coming future. Continental are disastrous. I can't understand why Renault have been fitting them as OEM tyres for all these years!
tyre reviewed on July 5, 2015
Given 20% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Panda (175-65-14-T)
EcoContact5 are bad tyres: noisy inside the car on all surfaces while moving at any speed above walking pace; some surfaces are louder than others but they are never quiet, even on smooth fresh tarmac. They also lurch the car sideways if you hit unavoidable surface grooves or a series of ruts at high speed. When you need to track straight, it's tricky to keep even a narrow car like the Panda in lane, because you never know whether it's going to lurch right or left. Traction and braking on wet or dry roads are not great either: an abrupt halt required ABS on dry concrete to avoid running through a hidden Stop sign. Even the low-powered Fiat loses FWD traction too easily while trying to head uphill on wet tarmac.

The only improvement Continental have made with the EcoContact5 tyres is that they do steer the car around corners better than the previous generation EcoContact3, which would just plough diagonally. Better-gripping and quieter tyres are surely available to replace these on your car, which were probably installed at the factory by the vehicle maker.
tyre reviewed on April 27, 2015
Looking to buy the Continental Eco Contact 5? Click here to search for the best price for the Continental Eco Contact 5 or any other tyre.

Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Honda FRV (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly town for 0 easy going miles
Very weak on sides. I replaced them twice.Sometimes rolling when starting drive.
tyre reviewed on March 15, 2015
Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (185-60-14-H)
Driving on a combination of roads for 840 average miles
The first 1,350 km (840 miles) have been done with the brand new Eco Contact 5s, so these are my first impressions.

The dry grip is perfect. To such an extent that I was amazed at the speeds I could turn in without any signs of understeer (FWD car).

Wet Grip: Definitely better than my previous Eco Contact 3s, more than sufficient, again much higher cornering speeds than before. Also, no aquaplaning whatsoever.

Road Feedback: Excellent for my taste - a sporty car needs good feedback, and that's exactly what these tires do almost perfectly really. You always now what the tire is doing.

Progressiveness: Again almost excellent, when pushed to the limit the tires provide early warning of understeer.

I won't comment on wear yet since it's too early.

Comfort: Brilliant. Very quiet tires, they only pick a tiny bit of noise occasionally on truly rotten road surfaces (of which there are many in Greece). On motorways at 130 km/h for instance, they are much quieter than the Eco Contact 3s I had before.

Overall, up to now I would definitely buy those again, that's for sure. Very satisfied, great all-rounders.
tyre reviewed on November 18, 2014
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo (205-55-16-V)
Bought these tyres after running a softer compound tyre of a different make, swapped to this make after problems with vibration from the softer tyres. Dry braking was slightly worse, but not enough to be a problem. Grip when pushed was also slightly worse, but again, acceptable. However wet grip, wear and comfort all very good. The best aspect for me is that the tyres wear evenly across the width compared to others I have had and they drive the same after 22000 miles / 35000 km and 18 months. They pick up a bit more noise on rough surfaces, but not too much that it bothers me. Overall slight improvement in fuel economy vs older softer tyres.
tyre reviewed on August 1, 2014
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat 500 Abarth (195-45-16-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 9 spirited miles
Originally I was skeptical about fitting Eco tires on my car, but I decided to get on with the suggestion from many friends. So, last year I got 4 brand new Eco Contact 5s and just waited to see the results.

These tires are exceptional, my 500 Abarth is gripping and gripping in both wet and dry roads. The tires are 16 months old and they still have 4mm thread rear and 3,5mm front - which I think is remarkable, given my abusive driving style. The provide warning of understeer early and they are also very quiet. So far I haven't noticed a performance drop, they perform just as they did after they were "ran-in" for about 1,500 km - not even slightly less.

Would I buy them again? Simple answer, Definitely - thanks to everyone for the recommendation - some people still don't believe (wrongly so, as it turns out) the Eco 5s are that capable in a hot little car.
tyre reviewed on June 23, 2014
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo 145 1.6 Boxer (185-60-14-H)
Driving on a combination of roads for 4 average miles
Excellent
tyre reviewed on May 14, 2014
Given 30% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat croma (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 2,500 easy going miles
I ordered ContiPremium contact 5 online because it was voted best tyre by several.magazines. When they srrived I was tired and was in terrible hurry, my friend picked them up and I was exhausted after 1400 km of continuous driving, so I just drove to shop and had them changed. Next time on fuel station, I actually realized that I am driving on ContiECO contact i stead. It was too late to change them, sine I burned a full tank already. And this is what I can say after 3600 km on them - THEY SUCK!
1) I was driving trough warm April on Nokian WR D3,(winer tyre) once with 1600 kg and a passenger in the car and fuel consumption was less than with this ECo garbage when empty (1.2 litres on 100 km)
2) They wander when I am driving, and loose corners. I wasn't sure what is going on so I took car to the shop to check wheel geometry, guy there showed me results - car was OK 100% but said I am not first with these tyres to come with same problem.
3) they are by far loudest tyres I ever had, including situstions when I had to drive with winter tyres trough simmer. Awful!!!
4) They give poor feedback and so far they perform far worse in rain than totally worn out Pirelli Cinturato I had on my car before.
5) overall bad performance and horrible UNSAFE feeling I have when I drive them.
If I were single and didn't have a wife that would nag me crazy for doing it, I'd take them down and burned them hatefully in my back yard. Now i hope to sell them on classifieds and buy something else. I will NEVER AGAIN buy anything Continental makes because this for me is proof that they buy their titles (read:bribe) for published results. no other explanation.
We have 3cars in family and theese are tyres on them:(summer/winter)(rate/rate)
Lancia Delta Nuova - Michelin/BFGoodrich - 5/5
Citroen C1 -Toyo/Yokohama - 4.5/4.6
Fiat Croma - Continental/Nokian - -2/5 ( yes, two points below zero)

I make 60-70 000 km a year, and I was till recently a president of a vintage car club (120 members) - so I know what I ama full tank already. And this is what I can say after 3600 km on them - THEY SUCK!
2) They wander when I am driving, and loose corners talking about.
DO NOT BUY CONTINENTAL TYRES! They are just overhyped marketed GARBAGE. I should listen everyone who was telling me not to buy them.
I throw ashes on myself now and admit my error, and will post this on so many places as I can!!!
tyre reviewed on May 13, 2014
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Fabia 1.4TDi (185-60-14-T)
Excellent tyres. Very good on any surface, a huge improvement over the Matador tyres my car had before. The best part is the ultra low rolling resistance, the car can go further without any acceleration. I managed to break my old record of 4.1 l/100 with an impressive 3.3. Great tyres, I will definitely buy Continentals next time.
tyre reviewed on June 11, 2013
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz A (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 0 average miles
Great tyres for A Class. Much improved driving experience. Highly recommended. Thanks to all for the recommendation.
tyre reviewed on February 12, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: