Continental Premium Contact 5

Show all: Continental tyres, Passenger Car Summer Premium Touring tyres
The Continental Premium Contact 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 40 tyre reviews averaging 75% over 256,863 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Continental Premium Contact 2

54%

83%

65%

Continental Premium Contact 5 Reviews

Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Punto 1.2 8v (225-45-17-)
Excelent tyres. I'm riding it in 175/65 R 14 dimensions. After Sava Perfecta, this is another car. Amazing grip at wet and dry.
tyre reviewed on May 20, 2015
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo 130 TDCi Zetec (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 12,000 spirited miles
I'll keep it short and sweet. I've had these fitted on the front of 2.0 TDCi Mondeo, 130bhp.

I do 90% of my driving on the motorway but I certainly don't hang around, the tyres have 3mm left after 12,000 miles. I expect them to last at least another 3,000 miles.

When I first had these fitted, they absolutely transformed the ride of my car without a doubt. It's not hard to believe as they replaced chinese ditch finders that vibrated really bad at speed (I thought it was wheel bearing until I replaced the tyres) but I remember being astounded and I'm usually very cynical as to how much of a difference could be noticed.

The tyres themselves are very comfortable, I don't suffer any fatigue from noise driving 2 hours to work and the stopping distance really is pretty phonemenal in the wet. I've done a couple of emergency stops (in the wet) and really I couldn't believe how quick I stopped. In fact I can't recall a time where they've skidded or the cars understeered as I take roundabouts fairly quick. I use to understeer all the time in the wet with Chinese Ditch Finders.

If I was concerned purely about wet braking then I would purchase again, however for me when it comes to replacement time because of the comparatively high wear I'll more than likely choose Michelin Energy Saver +
tyre reviewed on April 26, 2015
Looking to buy the Continental Premium Contact 5? Click here to search for the best price for the Continental Premium Contact 5 or any other tyre.

Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 320d SE (e46) Saloon (205-55-16-H)
Tyres are ok and doing well and dry and in the wet,
not noisy but quickly had spent in 3mm to less than 22,000 km ... For this reason, they are not yet bought ...
tyre reviewed on March 28, 2015
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz B180Cdi (225-45-17-V)
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on November 20, 2014
Given 49% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz 250D (1991) (195-65-15-H)
Driving on a combination of roads for 12,500 easy going miles
I will never buy Continental again. Period.

The wear is ridiculous as stated by others here. Mine last 20k km whereas previous Michelin Energy Saver tires did 50k with more thread left. Given the higher price, the cost per kilometer compared to Michelin is almost 3 times. I could have bought new Michelins at 5 mm and still be cheaper off than the Contis.

The ride was smooth, but too smooth to my liking and actually a bit bumpy. Fuel consumption seemed higher, but my typical drive may be different then before so cannot be sure. No issues with grip, other than aquaplaning due to unexpected high thread wear left in too short a time. The tires did also wear on the sides faster, something I have not experienced with previous Michelins on the same car (200k km and 6 years, 4 pairs of Michelins, 1 Conti)
tyre reviewed on October 2, 2014
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat Variant 1.8T (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 0 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on September 16, 2014
Given 14% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 407 4 door sedan 2.0 petrol (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Like driving on ice. I can not imagine worst tyre than this one. I have them for about 2000km and I am thinking of replacement, or asking my dealer to change them for Michelin, if possible. The sidewalls are so soft, they can not stand the weight of the car in corners in higher speed than 60km/h. Continental? Never again!!!
tyre reviewed on September 7, 2014
Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (205-55-16-V)
Updated version of my previous review, 205/55/16, 2011 VW GOLF.
As mentioned before, it is very good tires, good handling, very good grip dry/wet, very stable tires, good comfort and low noise level.
As I have experienced only with other Continental tires before, after they are about half worn out and beyond they seem to loose a little bit of the grip even on dry roads, they are slipping a little easier/earlier at the limit and I have now a slight wobbly feel when the tires start to loose the grip, in the wet the reduced grip is more noticeable.
I was however recently recommended to increase the tire-pressure from standard 2.0 Bar to about 2.5 Bar and this has actually eliminated this slight loss of grip with only minimum reduction of comfort, I'm a little surprised about that and I don't really know why higher tire-pressure than standard/recommended pressure can eliminate a slight reduction of grip on old tires but it did with these tires and it was recommended by a professional Tyre-dealer.
The high wear is as mentioned before absolutely ridicules, I have now only 12.000 km on these tires, they have no shoulders at all and about 1-2 mm left in the middle of the tread. The alignment of the wheels are ok and I did always have correct tire-pressure until recently when I increased the pressure.
Small chunks of the tread has fallen out and there are full of small cracks on the tires, especially on the shoulder area, they look a lot older than the 15 months they actually are and I don't feel safe with these tires anymore.
Although the tires with the increased tire-pressure handles well and still is comfortable they do not age well judging from the small damage on the tires and they do age extremely rapid, it is not good economy and probably not good for safety in the end.
I will not buy again and I will soon try another brand, probably Michelin or Dunlop which I have good experience with other cars.
tyre reviewed on June 17, 2014
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Yaris (175-65-14-T)
Was very impressed when I first had these fitted: Excellent grip in the dry and wet, quiet and decent road feel, and very cheap in the 175/65R14 size!

However, what really let these tyres down is the wear - They didn't even last a year on my diesel-powered Yaris before they hit 3mm.

As they start to wear down, the wet grip drops off quite dramatically, as does the dry grip but less so; Corners you could take at speed when new will increasingly induce understeer as they wear down.

Interestingly, straight-line braking remains face-destroyingly good right down to the legal limit!
tyre reviewed on June 3, 2014
Given 59% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (225-45-17-)
really good performance while being in brand-new condition
but after one season - 17k miles - the performance is average for dry and poor for wet conditions. poor durability - tyres were worn after 22k miles
tyre reviewed on May 6, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: