Continental Premium Contact 5

Show all: Continental tyres, Passenger Car Summer Premium Touring tyres
The Continental Premium Contact 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 35 tyre reviews averaging 75% over 198,363 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Continental Premium Contact 2

54%

84%

64%

Continental Premium Contact 5 Reviews

Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat Variant 1.8T (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 0 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on September 16, 2014
Given 14% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 407 4 door sedan 2.0 petrol (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Like driving on ice. I can not imagine worst tyre than this one. I have them for about 2000km and I am thinking of replacement, or asking my dealer to change them for Michelin, if possible. The sidewalls are so soft, they can not stand the weight of the car in corners in higher speed than 60km/h. Continental? Never again!!!
tyre reviewed on September 7, 2014
Looking to buy the Continental Premium Contact 5? Click here to search for the best price for the Continental Premium Contact 5 or any other tyre.

Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (205-55-16-V)
Updated version of my previous review, 205/55/16, 2011 VW GOLF.
As mentioned before, it is very good tires, good handling, very good grip dry/wet, very stable tires, good comfort and low noise level.
As I have experienced only with other Continental tires before, after they are about half worn out and beyond they seem to loose a little bit of the grip even on dry roads, they are slipping a little easier/earlier at the limit and I have now a slight wobbly feel when the tires start to loose the grip, in the wet the reduced grip is more noticeable.
I was however recently recommended to increase the tire-pressure from standard 2.0 Bar to about 2.5 Bar and this has actually eliminated this slight loss of grip with only minimum reduction of comfort, I'm a little surprised about that and I don't really know why higher tire-pressure than standard/recommended pressure can eliminate a slight reduction of grip on old tires but it did with these tires and it was recommended by a professional Tyre-dealer.
The high wear is as mentioned before absolutely ridicules, I have now only 12.000 km on these tires, they have no shoulders at all and about 1-2 mm left in the middle of the tread. The alignment of the wheels are ok and I did always have correct tire-pressure until recently when I increased the pressure.
Small chunks of the tread has fallen out and there are full of small cracks on the tires, especially on the shoulder area, they look a lot older than the 15 months they actually are and I don't feel safe with these tires anymore.
Although the tires with the increased tire-pressure handles well and still is comfortable they do not age well judging from the small damage on the tires and they do age extremely rapid, it is not good economy and probably not good for safety in the end.
I will not buy again and I will soon try another brand, probably Michelin or Dunlop which I have good experience with other cars.
tyre reviewed on June 17, 2014
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Yaris (175-65-14-T)
Was very impressed when I first had these fitted: Excellent grip in the dry and wet, quiet and decent road feel, and very cheap in the 175/65R14 size!

However, what really let these tyres down is the wear - They didn't even last a year on my diesel-powered Yaris before they hit 3mm.

As they start to wear down, the wet grip drops off quite dramatically, as does the dry grip but less so; Corners you could take at speed when new will increasingly induce understeer as they wear down.

Interestingly, straight-line braking remains face-destroyingly good right down to the legal limit!
tyre reviewed on June 3, 2014
Given 59% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (225-45-17-)
really good performance while being in brand-new condition
but after one season - 17k miles - the performance is average for dry and poor for wet conditions. poor durability - tyres were worn after 22k miles
tyre reviewed on May 6, 2014
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso (215-55-16-H)
Driving on mostly motorways for 30,000 easy going miles
Grip was excellent, the car felt confident. I don't usually wear the tyres out as I mostly drive motorways, and these were no different. After 3 years I was confident they could comfortably last another season. They were a bit loud in the wet, otherwise the sound was unobtrusive.
tyre reviewed on April 7, 2014
Given 99% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 206 GTi 137 (195-55-15-V)
Outstanding grip on dry and wet roads ,compared to my previous Cinturato P1 and Turanza ER300.The Turanza is also a good tire when they heat up is almost like ths CPC5 but just in dry,in wet CPC5 beats all
tyre reviewed on March 22, 2014
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9000 Turbo (195-65-15-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 12 easy going miles
Replaced a set of Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres which had done 50,0000 kms.
So far I am very happy with the PremiumContact 5's. I have found that increasing the pressure to 38 p.s.i. has helped reduce wear, but at the expense of a little ride comfort.
One thing I cannot understand. I see reviews for 245/17 versions of this tyre posted on this site, but according to Continental, they do not make this tyre in that size. What gives?
tyre reviewed on March 22, 2014
Given 39% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen MKVII Bluemotion (220-45-17-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 11 average miles
I have recently purchased a VW Golf MK7 Bluemotion 1.6tdi. It came with these tyres as standard and I was not impressed.
Just for some context, I am 19 and live in the country where the majority of the roads are twisty. I do drive with vigour sometimes but am not your typical teenager (on a law degree and often accused of being old before my time).
The tyres are low in grip compared to the ones I had on my Astra SRI, and I have a distinct lack of confidence in the cars handling ability, it seems to let go much too easily in the dry. In the wet, the problem is shown to full extent, the car is basically undriveable if there is any standing water and extreme caution is advised.
What's more, the wear has been appalling. I have covered just short of 11,000 miles in mixed conditions (my route to work includes motorway, twisty roads as well as A Roads). I also regularly cover motorway distances greater than 300 miles per trip. In 8 months, the front tyres are totally short, less than half a mil from the legal limit. The back tyres are about 25% worn.

I would not recommend. I am aware my car is an Eco car and therefore the suspension is not unto the sporting credentials I was used to with my 2010 Astra SRI. However, after fitting it with some fat, good grip mid range tyres (Bridgestones), the car handles 200% better; so much so, I had all four changed immediately.
tyre reviewed on February 11, 2014
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 116d (205-55-16-W)
Driving on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on January 21, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: