Continental Premium Contact 5

Show all: Continental tyres, Passenger Car Summer Premium Touring tyres
The Continental Premium Contact 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 33 tyre reviews averaging 76% over 198,363 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Continental Premium Contact 2

54%

86%

66%

Continental Premium Contact 5 Reviews

Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (205-55-16-V)
Updated version of my previous review, 205/55/16, 2011 VW GOLF.
As mentioned before, it is very good tires, good handling, very good grip dry/wet, very stable tires, good comfort and low noise level.
As I have experienced only with other Continental tires before, after they are about half worn out and beyond they seem to loose a little bit of the grip even on dry roads, they are slipping a little easier/earlier at the limit and I have now a slight wobbly feel when the tires start to loose the grip, in the wet the reduced grip is more noticeable.
I was however recently recommended to increase the tire-pressure from standard 2.0 Bar to about 2.5 Bar and this has actually eliminated this slight loss of grip with only minimum reduction of comfort, I'm a little surprised about that and I don't really know why higher tire-pressure than standard/recommended pressure can eliminate a slight reduction of grip on old tires but it did with these tires and it was recommended by a professional Tyre-dealer.
The high wear is as mentioned before absolutely ridicules, I have now only 12.000 km on these tires, they have no shoulders at all and about 1-2 mm left in the middle of the tread. The alignment of the wheels are ok and I did always have correct tire-pressure until recently when I increased the pressure.
Small chunks of the tread has fallen out and there are full of small cracks on the tires, especially on the shoulder area, they look a lot older than the 15 months they actually are and I don't feel safe with these tires anymore.
Although the tires with the increased tire-pressure handles well and still is comfortable they do not age well judging from the small damage on the tires and they do age extremely rapid, it is not good economy and probably not good for safety in the end.
I will not buy again and I will soon try another brand, probably Michelin or Dunlop which I have good experience with other cars.
tyre reviewed on June 17, 2014
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Yaris (175-65-14-T)
Was very impressed when I first had these fitted: Excellent grip in the dry and wet, quiet and decent road feel, and very cheap in the 175/65R14 size!

However, what really let these tyres down is the wear - They didn't even last a year on my diesel-powered Yaris before they hit 3mm.

As they start to wear down, the wet grip drops off quite dramatically, as does the dry grip but less so; Corners you could take at speed when new will increasingly induce understeer as they wear down.

Interestingly, straight-line braking remains face-destroyingly good right down to the legal limit!
tyre reviewed on June 3, 2014
Looking to buy the Continental Premium Contact 5? Click here to search for the best price for the Continental Premium Contact 5 or any other tyre.

Given 59% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (225-45-17-)
really good performance while being in brand-new condition
but after one season - 17k miles - the performance is average for dry and poor for wet conditions. poor durability - tyres were worn after 22k miles
tyre reviewed on May 6, 2014
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso (215-55-16-H)
Driving on mostly motorways for 30,000 easy going miles
Grip was excellent, the car felt confident. I don't usually wear the tyres out as I mostly drive motorways, and these were no different. After 3 years I was confident they could comfortably last another season. They were a bit loud in the wet, otherwise the sound was unobtrusive.
tyre reviewed on April 7, 2014
Given 99% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 206 GTi 137 (195-55-15-V)
Outstanding grip on dry and wet roads ,compared to my previous Cinturato P1 and Turanza ER300.The Turanza is also a good tire when they heat up is almost like ths CPC5 but just in dry,in wet CPC5 beats all
tyre reviewed on March 22, 2014
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9000 Turbo (195-65-15-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 12 easy going miles
Replaced a set of Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres which had done 50,0000 kms.
So far I am very happy with the PremiumContact 5's. I have found that increasing the pressure to 38 p.s.i. has helped reduce wear, but at the expense of a little ride comfort.
One thing I cannot understand. I see reviews for 245/17 versions of this tyre posted on this site, but according to Continental, they do not make this tyre in that size. What gives?
tyre reviewed on March 22, 2014
Given 39% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen MKVII Bluemotion (220-45-17-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 11 average miles
I have recently purchased a VW Golf MK7 Bluemotion 1.6tdi. It came with these tyres as standard and I was not impressed.
Just for some context, I am 19 and live in the country where the majority of the roads are twisty. I do drive with vigour sometimes but am not your typical teenager (on a law degree and often accused of being old before my time).
The tyres are low in grip compared to the ones I had on my Astra SRI, and I have a distinct lack of confidence in the cars handling ability, it seems to let go much too easily in the dry. In the wet, the problem is shown to full extent, the car is basically undriveable if there is any standing water and extreme caution is advised.
What's more, the wear has been appalling. I have covered just short of 11,000 miles in mixed conditions (my route to work includes motorway, twisty roads as well as A Roads). I also regularly cover motorway distances greater than 300 miles per trip. In 8 months, the front tyres are totally short, less than half a mil from the legal limit. The back tyres are about 25% worn.

I would not recommend. I am aware my car is an Eco car and therefore the suspension is not unto the sporting credentials I was used to with my 2010 Astra SRI. However, after fitting it with some fat, good grip mid range tyres (Bridgestones), the car handles 200% better; so much so, I had all four changed immediately.
tyre reviewed on February 11, 2014
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 116d (205-55-16-W)
Driving on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on January 21, 2014
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Corolla (195-60-15-H)
Tried these after the original Maxxis I bought the car with were almost worn out. I bought a full set of 4 and they are most definately a comfort tyre.
Excellent traction straight line acceleration, outstanding wet and dry braking but a little vague when turning in but progressive breakaway.

The biggest disappointment is the wear rate - despite a light, low powered car they've just about seen in 20,000miles where a set of Michelins on my Astra H from new made 30,000miles with similar driving.
tyre reviewed on January 6, 2014
Given 56% (breakdown) while driving a Opel vectra c (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 6,500 easy going miles
Bought them for Opel Vectra C, and totally disappointed. After Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 on previous car in same dimension, this is total fail - in regard to grip, feedback, progressiveness and wear. After not more then 10.000km tread is half worn. Half of that way tyres were on back axle, so only half the way on the front axle. I will not buy it again.
tyre reviewed on December 14, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: