Continental Premium Contact 5

Show all: Continental tyres, Passenger Car Summer Premium Touring tyres
The Continental Premium Contact 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 43 tyre reviews averaging 75% over 308,863 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Continental Premium Contact 2

Continental Premium Contact 5

Continental Premium Contact 5 Reviews

Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Opel corsa d 1.3 cdti (195-55-16-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 35,000 average miles
this came original from the factory
i am pleased with the grip both in wet and dry of course problematic withy icy roads or snow
the wear is not a problem as i read in the reviews here
down side is i had to change one after i hit a bump toughly while 15k
tyre reviewed on October 24, 2015
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (205-50-16-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 5,000 easy going miles
I have purchased a brand new skoda octavia last march, that is 6 months ago.
the tires are fitted from the factory.
regarding handling, those are definitely performance oriented tires in the segment of family sedans: they grip among the best, the corner among the best, steering is superb, and in cabin noise level is mid ground and well acceptable within the segment.
no wonder that at 3rd party independent tests, those tires are always rated at places 3rd to 1st.
what is that I don't get - is how many people in here are complaining about wear, as my 7000 km tires (6 months old) still looks new! the thread haven't lost even 1 mm of thickness in the fronts!
this leads me to believe, that those complaining here about wear, are either drivers who drive badly - thus wasting allot of fuel for unnecessary accelerations and after words ton of breaks because they never learned to leave the gas pedal long in advance of a cross road, while they think they are normal drivers, but in reality they are "racing drivers" on public roads all day long. of that their wheel alignment is broken.
for reference:
I am achieving with "grown up careful driving" around 20km per liter outsize city at 100km per hour speed, and 14 km per liter inside city driving, let me remind you this is a petrol engine - not diesel.
driving like that, the tires doesn't bare unnecessary strong forces and the outcome is tires that do not wear - period.
to conclude: those who complain about wear, must first learn how to drive carefully and environmentally correct. and also check their cars wheel alignment.
accelerating like hell and stopping too much because of it every corner and every traffic light, will kill your fuel consumption, kill your breaking pads, and kill your tires - physics 101.
before complaining about wear, think how much of it is due to your inexperienced driving habits, or lack of knowledgeable mechanics of the car domain.
continental contact premium 5 are so far among the best tires I have ever driven during the last 20 years.
**I am 40 years old now - for reference.
tyre reviewed on September 14, 2015
Looking to buy the Continental Premium Contact 5? Click here to search for the best price for the Continental Premium Contact 5 or any other tyre.
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Fiesta mk7 (195-50-15-V)
Amazing grip, better than the previous Pilot Exalto 2 that the car equipped as standard, both on dry and wet. At some point they also proved fairly good when I had to climb a mountain pass covered with fresh snow (ESP and TCS had to work much less than expected), but did average on dry gravel paths and are mostly useless on sand or packed snow (Pretty much the same you would expect your average summer tyre to do).

I have detected that the car uses a bit more fuel than before with the Michelins, but makes more or less the same road noise. When driven aggressively, Contis squeal, something that the French tyres didn't, so one can notice in advance when they're reaching the limit.

Too bad my front tyres have only lasted 20.000km when my previous set did 50.000km and were able to take 5.000 more.

I can only compare to my old tyres. Continentals equal or improve almost every aspect of driving, except fuel economy and wear.
tyre reviewed on August 21, 2015
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Punto 1.2 8v (225-45-17-)
Excelent tyres. I'm riding it in 175/65 R 14 dimensions. After Sava Perfecta, this is another car. Amazing grip at wet and dry.
tyre reviewed on May 20, 2015
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo 130 TDCi Zetec (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 12,000 spirited miles
I'll keep it short and sweet. I've had these fitted on the front of 2.0 TDCi Mondeo, 130bhp.

I do 90% of my driving on the motorway but I certainly don't hang around, the tyres have 3mm left after 12,000 miles. I expect them to last at least another 3,000 miles.

When I first had these fitted, they absolutely transformed the ride of my car without a doubt. It's not hard to believe as they replaced chinese ditch finders that vibrated really bad at speed (I thought it was wheel bearing until I replaced the tyres) but I remember being astounded and I'm usually very cynical as to how much of a difference could be noticed.

The tyres themselves are very comfortable, I don't suffer any fatigue from noise driving 2 hours to work and the stopping distance really is pretty phonemenal in the wet. I've done a couple of emergency stops (in the wet) and really I couldn't believe how quick I stopped. In fact I can't recall a time where they've skidded or the cars understeered as I take roundabouts fairly quick. I use to understeer all the time in the wet with Chinese Ditch Finders.

If I was concerned purely about wet braking then I would purchase again, however for me when it comes to replacement time because of the comparatively high wear I'll more than likely choose Michelin Energy Saver +
tyre reviewed on April 26, 2015
Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 320d SE (e46) Saloon (205-55-16-H)
Tyres are ok and doing well and dry and in the wet,
not noisy but quickly had spent in 3mm to less than 22,000 km ... For this reason, they are not yet bought ...
tyre reviewed on March 28, 2015
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz B180Cdi (225-45-17-V)
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on November 20, 2014
Given 49% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz 250D (1991) (195-65-15-H)
Driving on a combination of roads for 12,500 easy going miles
I will never buy Continental again. Period.

The wear is ridiculous as stated by others here. Mine last 20k km whereas previous Michelin Energy Saver tires did 50k with more thread left. Given the higher price, the cost per kilometer compared to Michelin is almost 3 times. I could have bought new Michelins at 5 mm and still be cheaper off than the Contis.

The ride was smooth, but too smooth to my liking and actually a bit bumpy. Fuel consumption seemed higher, but my typical drive may be different then before so cannot be sure. No issues with grip, other than aquaplaning due to unexpected high thread wear left in too short a time. The tires did also wear on the sides faster, something I have not experienced with previous Michelins on the same car (200k km and 6 years, 4 pairs of Michelins, 1 Conti)
tyre reviewed on October 2, 2014
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat Variant 1.8T (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 0 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on September 16, 2014
Given 14% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 407 4 door sedan 2.0 petrol (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Like driving on ice. I can not imagine worst tyre than this one. I have them for about 2000km and I am thinking of replacement, or asking my dealer to change them for Michelin, if possible. The sidewalls are so soft, they can not stand the weight of the car in corners in higher speed than 60km/h. Continental? Never again!!!
tyre reviewed on September 7, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: