Continental Premium Contact 6

The Continental Premium Contact 6 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The new PremiumContact 6 replaces both the PremiumContact 5 and the SportContact 5, unifying the comfort and efficiency of the PremiumContact range, with the high performance, steering precision and grip of the SportContact.

This tyre replaced the Continental Premium Contact 5

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 33,000 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Shootout - 1st of 43 tyres

2017 Summer SUV Tyre Test - 1st of 5 tyres

• Positive - Very good handling and safest behaviour at the limit of grip on dry surfaces, good handling on wet surfaces
  • Negative - Weakest resistance to aquaplaning, average comfort

2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 20 tyres

• Positive - Excellent results on dry and wet surfaces for braking and handling, precise steering response, good wear
  • Negative - Relatively low resistance to aquaplaning
  • Overall - Exemplary / Test Winner
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Continental Premium Contact 6

Questions and Answers for the Continental Premium Contact 6

2017-02-28 - Will the Premium Contact 6 be available in 205/55/16 size and when? Thank you!

It's a very likely the Premium Contact 6 will be released in 205/55 R16 in 2017, however there has been no date announced by Continental yet.

Top Continental Premium Contact 6 Review

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Megane (205/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Ready to test! Cheers GC
72 - tyre reviewed on January 27, 2017

Latest Continental Premium Contact 6 Reviews

Have you driven on the Continental Premium Contact 6 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Premium Contact 6.

Given 85% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 130 (205/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Had the tyres on all four wheels for a few weeks now, and had a four wheel alignment done, so I feel I can speak with some insight. Honestly, probably not quite what I expected, given the various test results. Feel, feedback and communication are absolutely top notch. Can't fault them in these respects. What slightly surprises me is that they don't seem all that grippy. Dry grip is OK. Wet grip is slightly weak. Now, I will add one caveat here. The 130i in rare SE spec has two allowable tyre size options as standard: either 205/50 17 front and rear, which I've got, or 205/50 17 front and 225/45 17 rear. I'm glad I've got the former, as it allows me to swap tyres front to back to extend life. But, if I had wider rears, I would probably have enough grip. However, does this really matter? In a world where car enthusiasts are bemoaning the ever increasing grip levels manufacturers are adding to cars at the expense of balance, poise and adjustabilty, handling limits, and therefore fun, are becoming more and more out of touch at road legal speeds. These tyres warn me that I'm reaching the limits well before I actually do. They are a triumph of subjective feel over outright grip. Not one for the max power brigade. But if you understand and appreciate the difference between roadholding (how high the limit) and handling (the nature in which it gets there), these might be for you.

My last car was a Clio 182, and I went from Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (very grippy, but tramlining and not enough warning towards limit) to Continental PremiumContact 2 (less grip, but nicer feel). When I bought the tyres for this 130i, I nearly went for the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but I chose the Contis instead and saved £50. Next time I might try the Pilot Sport 4. I expect they will grip better, but I have a funny feeling I will prefer the subjective feel of these Contis.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 6, 2017
Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo 1.9 JTD M (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Generally a great tyre, but I expected more for the price I paid(nearly top price for the size 225/45/17, supassed by a pocket money by Michelin). Got a full fresh set ot Conti Premium 6(XL version, Y rated), with DOT 1 month older than the day of purchase...

Dry grip - amazing. Stunning. It gets further than any tire I have tried. And when you reach the limit of the grip, there is no noise, there is no tickling, it just looses grip at once, violently driving you out of the road. Don`t worry, you can get used to it(after you test it on a track and get out of it a few times). I could take turns at 50km/h where another brand of tyres would screech as hell at 35km/h and start loosing grip afterwards.

Wet grip - more than amazing. It just get you stuck on road as if there is glue. Gets through deep water, making huge bursts on the sides, maintaining grip. This gets you overconfident and that`s bad. Water isn`t the only enemy you have. There is almost always leaves, mud or other garbadge on the road. So while you could pass a 5cm deep water on the road, if it`s full of tree crap - you WILL loose grip without any warning. Tree crap is slippery, don`t get overconfident. Yet, on water you`re the most stable thing there could be around. People driving at 70km/h at heavy rains think they`re the thing? Here, take this 160km/h with stability better than yours. Yet, wipers couln`t do it fast enough at 170km/h+ and you'll be driving nearly not seeing anything half of the time. So there is the "wiper limit" noone thought of...

Wearing - well, this is a problem with my driving style. For around 15 000km they`ve lost nearly 1.5mm tread depth. Quality has faded along with tread depth. I can feel that they`re not performing at their best anymore. When they were new I have tested 100 to 0km/h, which resulted in 36.1 meters. Now the test at 15 000km wear showed 39.5 meters. That shows a lot of fading in quality. Also have in mind that my break pads were not changed in this period, so they`re contributing for the worse results measured(at 90% life remaining when test 1st, at 30% when tested 2nd).

Comfort - medium. I have driven worse. But much cheaper. Feel a lot more stiffer, makes more noise, you could feel all the bumps on the road at 2atm pressure(which is supposed to be 2.2 front, 2.1 rear, but is 2.0 on all - in order to be MORE comfortable). If this is supposed to be a comfortable tyre I don`t want to know about the others.

This basicly means I bought superb tyres for a lot of money, which could be used for no more than 15 000km. After this you feel pretty much disapointed by the fading quality and the high price. For the same amount of money I could buy 3 sets of cheaper tyres and drive 3 years with NEW tyres of lower class, getting nearly the same average performance. I was expecting for this price to get 3 years of good driving expirience. Now I have one year of good driving expirience and ahead of me are two more years of medium to bad driving expirience.

Great tyre, but I will not buy it again. It is too expensive for me to get 4 new Conti each summer, 4 new Conti each winter... and driving an 15 000+ km Conti is just like riding a mid-priced any brand tyre... I suspect that driving a 30 000km Conti will be like driving a low-priced any-brand tyre. So this is not a fair deal, avoid it, unless you have money to throw at tyres each 15 000km. Considering I am already throwing away cash every 30 000km for super expensive break pads and every 10 000km for very expensive oils/filters.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2017
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Tiuan R Line (235/50 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Bought 4 new conti premium contact 6 for a '14 Tiguan R Line to replace the original Bridgestone Dueler HP's. Not done many miles on them so far but both wet and dry they are superb. Quieter than the Bridgestones and feel more compliant maybe even slightly softer perhaps. The bridgestones still had 2mm at 31,000 miles! Hope the new conti's last that long.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 19, 2017
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT (225/55 R18 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
compare with Michelin ps4 215/45/r17 in my sedan Opel Astra
the dry/wet grip is as well as ps4
road feedback is softer than ps4
the handling is not precisely as ps4, may due to tire dimension
wear is not clearly due to only use 1000 miles
comfort is better than ps4
definitely, i would buy it again if ps4 still have this size

9 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2017
Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Astra 1.4 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 2,500 spirited miles
I've been driving on these tyres for nearly 4000 kms. Comfort and noise is really impressing after my old Hankook Ventus s2. The steering feels softer and more responsive; however the softer feeling is definitely a negative thing for a keen driver like me. I can't say much about wet braking, I haven't had the chance to try, but dry braking is very very good indeed, the car just doesn't need any abs with this set of tyres.
The final and most important part is that these continental premiumcontact 6 just doesn't handle as well and progressive as my previous Hankook Ventus s2. This caused a dramatic disappoinment actually. I just didn't get used to this lack of handling quality, and I began to consider changing the tyres. I can't corner with these continentals as well and sharp as mu previous Hankooks. It feels like with these continentals my car is a completely different car. Perhaps the reason is the soft sidewall, I don't know. Also, when you're going straight on the highway, the steering needs small adjustments in order to go straight and precise. It is about lateral stability perhaps.
For short; comfortable, quiet but absolutely not sporty, not quite precise and sharp.
Ams tyre test is definitely right about this premium contact 6. The tyre has just 3 water canals, I think this is why it tends to understeer or oversteer in the wet. This understeering and oversteering never occurred with my hankooks.
This tyre needs an immediate update and for the most part I regret my decision on continental premium contact 6.
6 - tyre reviewed on June 4, 2017

See all 15 customer reviews of the Continental Premium Contact 6 (newest first) >>