Continental WinterContact TS 860

Continental WinterContact TS 860 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 48% while driving a Fiat LINEA T JET (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 6,500 average miles
I have a Fiat Linea T-Jet car, a 120-horsepower 206 Newton meter torque. On average, I drive 10 km a day, 20 km highway 20km highway. Over 80 Km / h the Conti is very, very loud. On the ice and on the ice soon lose the grip! Aquaplaning should only be expected at higher speeds. It behaves fairly well in rain and dry roads. Flat road and city for cars with lower power and torque, or ESP and torque-controlled cars. The 2003 Semperit SportGrip and the 2008 Dunlop Winter Sport D 3 are better on snowy and bumpy roads and quieter! Wear-resistant, after 10,000 km of running, 7mm of the first driven, 7.7mm rear tire. I thought better, I expected the right from the world famous Continental brand! Could the Conti 860 S have to be bought? If you have someone's experience, please write it.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 6, 2019
Given 78% while driving a Opel Meriva B 1.4 LPG (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 12,427 average miles
I purchased a set of these as new in 2017 (production year 2017 also). Summer tyre is Bridgestone ER300. Comparing to this summer tyre - very quiet tyre, I was astonished - and still am. This is the least noisy winter tyre ever, furthermore it is more quiet then many summer tyres I owned in the past. Big plus. This is their second season. Another big plus - they are visibly more fuel efficient than the said Bridgestones. Wow.

Second of all - I bought these because I was always changing tyres late on, and getting back to summer tyres at first signs of spring. Why? Because of inadequate wet/dry handling of winter tyres. Now these tyres are perfect on wet and dry roads, grip is perfect in all of such conditions, just as the reviews I've read said. Nice.

Unfortunately snow and ice grip is not that good comparing to other winter tyres I have owned. Not that they are not predictable - they simply lack the grip that I had with some other brands. I can definetely feel the car, and a hard stop or corner is predictable. TC off in high snow-mud is a must. Still the tyre is solid in such conditions.

Wear seems to be on the faster side - a tradeoff for wet/dry conditions. Currently on second season front is around 5,0-5,5mm, rear 6,0-6,5mm. I think that at the end of the winter I'll hit them at 4 and 5,5mm respectively. For the third season I'll change frontrear and finish them off during the spring/summer. The tyres I think are good for 30000-40000km in winter and then maybe 10000km as summer finish.

First season they have been definetely better then in the second season. Small skidding has been now observed on wet roads. Still something that is not unexpected, but I guess that with age the tyres will have to behave worse. Seems that the compound hardened - my impression.

All in all a great winter tyre especially if most of Your winter is on wet/dry roads.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 10, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Mercedes Benz C180 (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Bought these tires last year as winter-tires and I now using them again for the winter.
Surprisingly good performance on dry roads even at temperature up to +20 C, very stable and good handling, comfortable and low noise-level.
The grip on dry roads in corners and turns are very good for a winter tire, not exactly as firm as a good summer tire but it is not at all far away.
Very good in wet and heavy rain, very safe in the wet regardless of temperature.
Regarding snow and ice conditions, my car is a 2013 Mercedes C class with a rear wheel drive, it is not a very good car for snowy and icy roads, I can only give my review based on this type of car, I have never driven with these tires on any other car.
The snow and ice performance on my car is most likely significantly reduced compared to basically any front-wheel drive car.
On this car the Continentals are, with reservation, acceptable on snow and ice conditions, but not more.
They are obviously much better than worthless summer-tires in the winter but it is obviously important to be aware of their limits.
On soft and relatively deep and dry snow , they are capable of climbing a 4 km long steep uphill curvy road without too much problems.
On wet and heavy snow and also in heavy slush these tires have huge problems on this car, on that same uphill road I have a very difficult time even to get halfway to my home and while my car gets to a complete standstill when my anti-spin effectively stops any spin, but also consequently any forward movement, my neighbors with their front-wheel drive cars in any shape and sizes are just sailing by me without any problems.
On pure icy roads it is better to leave the car in the garage, certainly if you are going up or downhill, basically no grip at all.
I must always be very careful in any corner and turns when there is snow and/or ice, the car slides very easily.
I can recommend these tires for winters with only occasional snow and ice conditions, but always be aware of their limits, and be aware of your cars limits.
For real lasting winter conditions I strongly recommend so-called "Nordic" winter tires if you can get them, they are usually far better for snow and ice although with reduced dry performance, maybe even reduced wet performance.
Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli, Nokian etc have "Nordic" winter-tires as options, much better for long lasting winters especially if your car, like mine, is not very suitable for winter conditions.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2018
Given 86% while driving a Renault Megane II Break 1.5dCI 105Hp (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 8,700 spirited miles
Been driving them for 2 winters for around 14000 km-8700 miles. Thread left is 5mm, so for another winter. Drive is great, when new there was a little wobble in corners, now there great,,, good on snow, especialy good on wet road. Will buy again even thou i think the wear is avarage.
15 - tyre reviewed on April 1, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 3,900 spirited miles
Never had better winter tyre. Grip in wet, dry and snow is perfect. Wear is also good, after 6000km they have worn for 1-1,5mm. And they are quiet.
There are only two downsides. Sidewalls are pretty soft so car will loose a bit of steering response but not handling and because of thread design they pick up sand and stones so much that i have no color left on side skirts and rear bumper.
If roads in your country are sanded during winter you should consider buying mudflaps.
9 - tyre reviewed on March 24, 2018
Audi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
for my tyresize, 195/65r15, the prices of budget vs premium tyres didnt differ to much. A full set of these cost me about €200,- as opposed to something like €150,- for a B-brand tyre. Also, from seeing the test results, these just seemed like the best tyre money could buy at the time of purchasing.

Dry grip: When i went from a 225/40/r18 section UHP summer tyre to these winter tyres, I didnt expect much in terms of dry grip. However, scince those summertyres were the absolutely dreadfull Ovation VI-388's, the dry grip on these was about equal to the ovations, which was astonishing to me. I still can get wheelspin on agressive acceleration though, but this is only when i do an all out launch, and it is very minimal. For a winter tyre, the dry grip is amazing.

Wet grip: After breaking in the tyres, I decided to test the wet grip a bit. I made a few emergency stops to test the ABS interference, but there wasnt any. Considering i have 280mm (11") disks at the front on a 1100kg car, I was quite impressed with this. On hard acceleration however, the tyres do light up. This for me, drops the scrore to "only" an eight, but scince they are so safe during braking, i still find these tyres great in the rain.

Handling: Running about 2.3 bars of presure on the fronts, and 2.5 in the rears, these actually handle quite well. Ofcourse you cant expect a 15" wintertyre to handle like a low profile uhp summer tyre, but flex from the sidewalls is not bad and corneringgrip seems good. All in all, for a winter tyre, these are quite enjoyable to throw around.

Wear: I can't yet comment much on the wear, scince ive only done about 2000 miles on these. However, the small little groofs on the surface of the threadblocks is still mostly there, suggesting to me they have worn maybe about 0.3 to 0.5mm over 2000 miles. This would give them an expected lifespan of about 25.000 to 40.000 miles, which is inline with some test results. All in all, the wear seems quite good.

Comfort: This has been amazing for me. My car has been lowered by about 5cm which should result in a jarring harsh ride. However, these tyres absorb the bumps and behave great at motorway speeds, requiering little ajustments. Also, they are very quiet, being near to inaudible leaving only the wind noise to be heard. This has transformed my car from a bouncy hot hatch into a comfortable motorway mile muncher (considering its a A3 and 19 years old that is ofcourse)

All things considered, i'm amazed by these tyres, from the grip they offer in both wet and dry, to the handling, and most of all the comfort. Definite buy again for me!
7 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2018
Given 99% while driving a Hyundai i20 (185/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 2,180 average miles
This is my initial review for this tire coming close to the end of the winter season. So far I have driven it on dry, wet and icy roads, bit of snow at some places. The tires feel comfortable and safe in all of these conditions. I had to do an emergency brake on dry and it felt almost like the summer tire. It only feels a slight wobbling, when in tight corners or when suddenly turning the steering wheel, compared to the sumer tires which are stiffer. It's barely noticeable though and I recon its due to the tire thread which is deeper compared to the summer tire. So far I'm very pleased with these tires and I hope they will last for a couple of more winter seasons.
4 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 600 average miles
I have these tyres for 1 week and I will talk about my first impressions. I drive Golf MK5 1.9 tdi. My tyres are 03534870000 195/65R15 91T WinterContact TS 860.
So far I drove 1000km on dry, wet and snowy roads. Tyres perform excellent on all road conditions. Especially on snow, it grips on snow like no other winter tyre. It has ton of grip on snow, you feel extremely safe.
Driving on dry road is also safe, there is no under steer like many other winter tyres tend to do.
Grip on wet road is also excellent.
The tyres and comfortable, and noise level is very low.
I have no idea how long they will last or if they will behave this good during the next few seasons.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 17, 2017