Dunlop SP Sport LM704

The Dunlop SP Sport LM704 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 196,500 miles driven.

2015 Auto Review Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 9 tyres

• Positive - Price, strong sidewall
  • Negative - Extremely low wet grip, low resistance to aquaplaning, high rolling resistance
  • Overall - Not available in the UK market, Auto Review found the Dunlop LM704's dangerous thanks to a shocking performance in the wet. OK for hot climates with pot holed roads that don't see rain. No where else.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Dunlop SP Sport LM704

Questions and Answers for the Dunlop SP Sport LM704

2016-10-11 - There are mixed reviews about this tire's wet grip. I live in the tropics, so if this tire is dangerous on wet roads, that's a serious no-buy issue for me. Can anybody shed light on the issue about the wet grip?

Unfortunately we have no direct experience with the Dunlop LM704, however we are confident Dunlop would never release a product which could be classified as dangerous in the wet.

2017-06-14 - Who performed the 2015 Auto Review Summer Tyre Test? Because in the other Q&A you mentioned "no direct experience" with this tyre. As a family man, I only want safe tyres and the reviews between "tester" and "user" are contradicting each other. So can you please confirm if this tyre has good grip on wet?

Auto Review are a Russian automotive publication. They tested the tyres themselves for the article. Auto Review found the LM704 had poor wet grip compared to 8 other leading competitors.

2019-03-21 - Pls provide threadwear rating on this tire

Unfortunately we don't have the treadwear rating for the LM 704.

Top Dunlop SP Sport LM704 Review

Given 87% while driving a Mazda 2010 2.3mps (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Best tyre so have ever had on a car, I am running 260+hp through the front wheels and while they will break traction in a straight line relatively easily I can't think of a time they have produced under steer in the wet or dry. I got them when I purchased the car, they had some light wear, after 15000km of somewhat spirited driving, the fronts are quite worn (still 2mm of tread before needing replacement) but the rears have only worn a couple of mm.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat if they were still available in New Zealand
134 - tyre reviewed on December 1, 2015

Latest Dunlop SP Sport LM704 Reviews

Have you driven on the Dunlop SP Sport LM704 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the SP Sport LM704.

Given 51% while driving a Mazda Mazda 6 2.5 GH (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 50,000 average miles
These tyres lack grip both dry and wet. My car, that is by no means powerful, easily spin them from standstill and on inclines. I would call these dangerous in the wet as they are frequently prone to aquaplaning.
On the plus side, the tyre does give very direct steering feel and is easy to control just past its limit which made for some fun drifting. Wears well too - have done roughly 80,000km on a combination of highway and city roads.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 31, 2019
Given 70% while driving a Honda Odyssey (215/60 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,000 easy going miles
Everything is ok for this tire. The only downside is its a little noisy.
3 - tyre reviewed on June 15, 2019
Given 44% while driving a Honda Fit (Jazz) (205/50 R16) on mostly motorways for 100 average miles
Changed to 16” Dunlop LM704 from Kumho HS51. Tyre shop advised that it has good grip and durable. Until recently I experience aqua planing from these new tyres which I changed. I was driving the same route home after rain and it just ‘floated out of lane’ from a slight bend with not very wet ground. Luckily I’m a seasoned driver and knew that I can’t brake hard and had to slowly steer back with minimum steering. Luckily there were 2 lanes and no cars on the next lane. If not,I would definitely have an accident. Even with my Kumho almost worn out tyres, I would have no problem navigating the bend. Just wanna share my views with other consumers like myself looking for new tyres change and I dun think I will be using them again.
18 - tyre reviewed on September 4, 2018
Given 30% while driving a Ford fairmont ghia ba (225/50 R17 V) on mostly town for 10,000 easy going miles
I have replaced these for some Continentals
Car was downright dangerous in the wet . A terrible terrible tyre
Car's characteristics have change with new tyres
58 - tyre reviewed on May 12, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Mercedes Benz 190 2.3 16 (195/70 R14 H) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
Wow, What a fantastic difference! Excellent wet and dry grip... I can drive over any kind of road surface with confidence, even those shiny patches on old roads in the wet that you think for sure will cause your car to go for a slide, these Dunlop LM 704 tyres just grip. Handling... another wow! Finally my Mercedes 230E handles corners because these tyres love corners. I think you will be impressed with the cornering, just magic. You can turn onto a corner with these tyres and they just want to go around with no effort at all, they practically drive the car around corners willing to turn with ease and great precision. Comfort is much better than previous tyres too so thats a relief, they are rubbery supple and not harsh at all. Noise seems to be low but its difficult to say because i can't hear if they are making any noise over the usual wind noise etc. so thats ok too. So far fuel economy looks ok but its too early to say for sure. Will see how they last and I'll add a second review in around 6 months or so. The terrain these tyres are being used in is all winding mountain roads, steep sections and some hair-pin bends too, often wet and slippery because it rains for about 7 months of the year, low temps and the occasional very light snow. Then there is the short hot summer to deal with. Conclusion; a wow tyre for handling and steering precision, great wet grip and dry, with excellent rubbery supply comfort. I believe you will love them! :D
21 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2018