Event WL905

Show all: Event tyres, Passenger Car Summer Ultra High Performance tyres
The Event WL905 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 62 tyre reviews averaging 51% over 540,561 miles driven.

Event WL905

66%

55%

37%

Event WL905 Reviews

Given 33% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall zafira 1.9 cdti 150 bhp (225-45-17-)
Fine in the dry but since I bought them and over time the wet weather performance has gone from bad to worse. In the week I drove on wet but not soaking roads and was seriously concerned about the lack of grip going round bends and accelerating and braking for roundabouts. I was glad my partner was not driving and my children were not in the car. I am changing the tyres early as they are just not safe for UK roads.
tyre reviewed on April 5, 2014
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 140 Sport Estate (235-45-17-)
Bought these tyres because I'm suffering the excessive rear tyre inner edge 'sawtooth' wear which haunts Passat estate owners.
Was fed up of ditching expensive tyres well in advance of the expected time so thought I might as well try a cheap and cheerful option.
Before I start I'll give an indication of what 'qualifies' me to give my opinion.
I've competed in Motorsport for over 40 years, rallying through the 80's, one make saloons series through the 90's and noughties, design engineer who has developed and tested competition cars, specifically suspension, for the last 30 years.
Appreciate the Passat is no competition car, it's my workhorse, although it is the sport version and is chipped, so it's not quite 'driving Miss Daisy'.
Also, the Event tyres are only on the rear. Not a fan of a mixed fleet of tyres but this was a test, I'm happy with the Dunlop's on the front and if anything they would probably exaggerate any failings of the rear Events.
Fist point is that these tyres are graded as G (the lowest/worst) for fuel economy and C for wet grip, which isn't bad. Problem is the companies self certify, so not centrally tested, although the test parameters are allegedly strict, I suspect strict isn't the same in all parts of the world.
Anyway, my testing has involved all driving conditions with a specific aim of making the tyres lose grip. Inducing oversteer on a front wheel drive car isn't as natural as on a rear wheel drive such as a BMW but I managed to get the back end to break away, in the wet. It wasn't too dramatic and it required a driving behaviour I'd only expect to be replicated in an emergency situation.
Road noise is absolutely fine, don't be put off by any negative comments regarding noise, they are no different from tyres 3 times the price.
Driving in the dry is without drama, including heavy braking action. This even included some ABS activated braking on a high speed bend. A little a bit of 'tail out' reaction but as in the wet, nothing to over concern.
I don't want to be critical of other reviewers, but expecting a tyre to offer grip on a wet man hole cover?? On leaves??
Find a tyre that'll deliver that, and you'll make a lot of motorcyclists very happy.
I think some of the expectations are a little high, and minds already made up, so why did you bother buying them?
If you have a high performance car, drive your car like you stole it or worse of all, think you are on the Top Gear track every time you're out, buy a different tyre, if only so you can't use the tyres as an excuse for your lack of ability.
If your on a budget, drive within the limits of yourself, your vehicle and the road conditions, they are a perfectly acceptable budget option.
All this with the caveat that they were only on the rear of a front wheel drive vehicle and I can't comment on wear yet.
If it all goes horribly wrong at some point I'll update. But these things are cheap as chips and could certainly be a tyre twice the price.
So if you're going to spend 3 times the price you'll notice a difference, if you're only going to spend double, I'd say just buy these.

tyre reviewed on April 2, 2014
Looking to buy the Event WL905? Click here to search for the best price for the Event WL905 or any other tyre.

Given 13% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 330 Msport (225-45-17-)
I have had these tyres on my car, a BMW 330, for a while now and feel I am now in a position to offer a review focusing on the positive aspects of these tyres. These tyres offer a very low amount of grip in wet conditions, they encourage the driver to be aware of the road ahead, looking out for water, damp corners, inspection covers and leaves. Normally you would take for granted that a tyre would cope with these kind of road conditions resulting in the driver paying less attention to the road, failure to pay attention will result in a crash. The feed back and ride also make you more aware of what your car is doing and will make you very familiar with your suspension components and the local garage airline. This is due to the very firm ride, huge amounts of road noise and the extreme tram-lining experienced while running these tyres. You will be examining your car looking for faults on the suspension, you will know where all your bushes are and how the tierods look and feel, after all, tyres can't cause all that noise can they?

Wet cornering will introduce you to unpredictable understeer and oversteer, maybe even both at the same time if that is possible. Wheel balancing also proved to be a challenge, the amount of lead the tyre fitters had to use will keep the lead mines in business for a little while longer. So there we go, a positive review of the Event WL905 tyre fitted to a BMW. If your name is Ari, Juha, or Colin and you live on or near a rally stage (in a car with FIA cage, buckets seats and harnesses) these are the tyres for you. If you are a normal person driving around the roads of the UK and like a challenge and have the reactions of a Formula 1 driver, these may be right up your street.
tyre reviewed on January 25, 2014
Given 24% (breakdown) while driving a BMW (225-40-18-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 5,000 easy going miles
I fitted two event WL905 on the front 6 months ago just before a tour of Scotland. I read the various reviews but thought the people complaining about the wet grip were perhaps driving too hard for the conditions and that no tyre can be that bad. I was wrong, very wrong. These tyres are quite honestly the most dangerous tyres I have ever fitted. Even moderate driving will see the car understeer, standing water was deadly and damp round-abouts would feel very vague. I initially thought the car was at fault, perhaps a failed bush, trackrod or steering rack failure but inspection didn't show any faults.

I don't like giving bad reviews on anything but I would seriously advise anyone looking for a cheap budget tyre to buy something else. Wet grip, dangerous. Wear, very poor. Feedback, poor. Severe tramlining.Changed after 5k very sedate miles.
tyre reviewed on January 24, 2014
Given 43% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 325i (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
Truly terrifying in the wet on my e46 bmw 325i. Back end feels fidgity as soon as the road is damp and when they let go they do so with little warning. Replacing mine after only 500 miles for safety reasons with continentals.
tyre reviewed on January 5, 2014
Given 84% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (225-45-17-W)
Hi, I had this budget tyre put it on last week in my audi a3. After I read review here I was extremely worried but I am confident now after I driven my audi. Tyres are gripping firmly on dry and wet condition and drive quite smooth and noise level is ok. It is a really good tyres and have no complain and would definitely buy these tyres again.
tyre reviewed on December 26, 2013
Given 68% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Civic (195-55-15-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 8,000 average miles
My wife ordered two of these and when after checking out the reviews here I was extremely worried. However, I've been pleasantly surprised. I have had no problems with braking either in the wet or the dry. I've even tried wheelspinning in the wet and couldn't in normal wet road conditions (ie not driving like a maniac). Personally, I expect to have to drive more cautiously in the wet - but I've not found these tyres any worse that the excellent Michelins that I had on my previous car (which incidentally, I notice garner similar complaints about poor grip in the rain elsewhere on this site). So maybe it is down to driving style and type of car. The only time I've noticed any problems is crossing raised white paint lines at speed in the wet, which has sometimes felt slippery. And yes they are noisy, even around town. So for me these are not the death traps some say they are. If you want a sports performance tyre and like to drive like an extra in Fast and Furious, then I would suggest these are not for you, but that's why high performance tyres cost so much. The only caveat I would add is that I have yet to take these through a winter, which might affect my opinion.
tyre reviewed on December 17, 2013
Given 30% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall zafira 1.9 cdti 150 bhp (225-45-17-W)
Driving on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
Dropped a real clanger with these tyres was in a bit of a rush.the tyres tyres looked the part and cconvinced they were a good budget pair to put on my car. First bit of moisture and they're a death trap, no grip, you don't whether you going to need to oversteer or understeer. Only done 200 miles and now considering changing them which will cost me. VOSA should recall them as dangerous.
tyre reviewed on November 29, 2013
Given 39% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo (225-45-17-)
Had two of these on the front, in wet weather the car unexpectedly lost control in the roundabouts, even at low speeds. Very dangerous.
tyre reviewed on November 19, 2013
Given 43% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Stilo (215-45-17-)
I think there is truth in all of the reviews here about these tyres - they are cheap, look the part and wear well (so far) and in normal driving conditions around town they are OK. However, wet grip is quite laughable - having changed from Dunlop Sport Maxx RT and driving on familiar roads, there is no question that grip in the wet is markedly reduced - the car will easily break traction and understeer into turns even at low speed like it never did before. Most of the time this isn't an issue if you drive cautiously but you certainly don't have to be driving like a hooligan to find yourself "ploughing on" mid-bend. On a wet hill start you have to be careful not to end up spinning the front wheels and there's a slight panic if you are pulling out into a gap in the traffic - it requires more concentration and doesn't inspire confidence. Standing water on motorways results in aquaplaning with the classic scary feeling of driving on top of the water/light steering effort all too obvious. I cannot imagine what this would all mean if you had to deal with an emergency situation in the wet at 60 to 70mph! I've always been a bit of a 'posh brand' tyre cynic - it's all black rubber and you don't get much for the extra cash except the writing on the tyre wall to impress your friends. They are undoubtedly the first set of tyres I have bought in over 27 years of driving that makes me realise that saving around £50.00 a tyre for this brand just isn't worth it for the possible risk to myself and my family.
tyre reviewed on November 2, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with Asda Tyres to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!