Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

Progressiveness 53%
Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

The Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 118 tyre reviews averaging 55% over 1,171,447 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Latest Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Given 68% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (185/55 R14 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Reading the reviews, I really wonder how people *test* their tires.

My ride is an Alfa Romeo Sprint QV with the 1.7 engine. It is a classic as well as a coupe, so use is for track days, historic rallies and minimal daily rides.

As a daily ride, the tire is perfect. It gets noisy on the highway but only at a specific speed, which is totally fine. On the rain, I was afraid at first because of the reviews. My car park has an enormous slippery hill to climb each time I drive out, and with heavy rain the tire, whilst still cold, works fine.

As a rally tire on tarmac, it is PHENOMENAL. The car finished on the Acropolis Rally after 1000ks of twists, turns, speed, on gravel and roads. It performed like a charm. You don't believe me? Here http://www.autodelta.info/#!Passion-for-Race/czjb/57583e190cf24c9615a526e8

As a track tire, it disappointed me. It doesn't warm up quickly enough, and turns seem flimsy. Still, I dropped my times. But yes, it is not a real tire for track. Still, enough for fun - they do drift.

As an overall tire, for the price, are you kidding me? It is perfect, and will soon be fitted on a Lancia of the same period too. It just makes sense.
0 | - tyre reviewed on June 17, 2016
Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (225/40 R18) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
Awful tires! Very noisy, awful grip both dry and wet. The ride is very bad. I bought the car second-hand and it came with these tires, fitted 500km before the guy sold the car to me... I changed them for barum bravuris 3 and the car is transformed. I think every driver deserves better tires than these....
0 | - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2016
Given 55% (breakdown) while driving a Pontiac trans am ws6 (275/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
these federal ss's came on the 96 trans am ws6 I bought. I read some reviews before winter hit ( I live in northwest Montana) and was expecting to have a very exciting winter! What I have found is they were not as bad as every one is claiming ! First dry, they do well gripping better than other tires I have owned on my 82 trans am with less horse power than this 96. the only complaint is they WILL spill your coffee trying to change lanes on rutted roads! That was easily fixed made a wooden box I can seat belt into passenger side with correct sized hole for my cup on top! Seriously, they jerk enough one wonders what the people behind you think when changing lanes from one paved rutted lane to the next, and its the front end first that jerks over then the back its CRAZY!
Wet, they are not good at all on wet cement, we only have one intersection that has cement the rest of the roads are paved. it does not matter how long its been raining, on the cement I cant take off from the light with out spinning, however, they never squeal, just spin, I have never gotten a squawk out of these tires, smoke sure, but not squealing. on pavement if it has rained enough to actually wash some of the calcium chloride and sand off they grip , not like race tires, but they will hold the back end accelerating around corners fairly well.
Snow. Ahahaha! gotta love not being able to drive with the back end behind you!! I actually got stuck trying to back into my drive in the middle of the road because of the crown of the road!! that was on snow pack. wet snow is even worse! I would say snowed more than one inch.. don't drive it! of course if it snowed more than three inches I am shoveling snow with the nose any way! I found though much to my surprise, if you can have snow pack that is sanded these tires once again shine! I guess the width and the sand on the snow makes it comparable to studded snow tires (on my 97 dakota) Seriously! I could stop faster than I could on wet cement! ( Did I mention the amount of deer, elk, moose and bear we have on the road ways here in North west Montana? Trust me a moose is VERY!! intimidating when sitting in a trans am!!)
Like I mentioned earlier, I have only had these tires since I bought the car last fall, I drive it every day I can to work 17? miles one way in the next town, so I get it up to seventy on the four lane, and have to drive through two small towns, the three weeks of dry roads I had were actually pretty awesome with these tires, with the exception being they really do have flat spots for about two miles at 60mph when the temp starts to dip. enough so, I was wondering about u joints or bearings! then they did great! the other five months I have yet to have dry roads with out sand or calcium chloride. black ice or frosty roads are ridiculously fun and exciting! touch the gas the back end starts around, touch the brake, the back end starts around! I am getting good at shoving the shiftier into N. because this trans am has a posi trac. when I come creeping up to a stop sign, and push the brake to bring it to a complete stop, it just pushes the front tires locked and of course the front end starts sliding which ever way the road is sloped. The couple hundred pounds I put in trunk to not get stuck in middle of the road helps, but increases the front end just sliding not stopping problem
0 | - tyre reviewed on February 1, 2016
Given 33% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru 04 WRX (255/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
they are okay in the dry

wet it gets worse but the worst thing about this tyre is how it reacts to the road and its unevenness, also it is EXTREMELY NOISY, i couldnt tell if my wheel bearings were out or the tyre until i changed tyres....

being a hardish compound, hence the name super steel, its wear is pretty good but thats the only plus!

WOULD NOT GET AGAIN
-2 | - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2016
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Chaser (245/40 R18) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
Owned a set on my JZX100 Toyota Chaser. Abit noisy in the dry and steering feel is at tad numb with the soft sidewall.

In the dry these tyres have good to decent grip and not to mention progressive too. Tyres talk back and can drive close to the limit before it screeches.

In the rain these tyres are terrible. Dont even hope of having grip what so ever. Can barely get traction off the line, just spins the rear wheels. Dont dare to drive fast in the rain, you will stack your car into a tree or gutter.

But it is run the rear out in the rain at 20/30/40 km/h.

Cant comment on tyre wear, but hope these wear out soon, excuse to get new tyres.
0 | - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2015