Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

Show all: Federal tyres, Passenger Car Summer High Performance tyres
The Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 100 tyre reviews averaging 57% over 1,022,532 miles driven.

Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

50%

44%

Tyre Test Results:

Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Given 30% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 1.8T S-Line (245-40-18-W)
Driving on mostly town for 15,000 average miles
Probably the worst tyres I have ever had on a car!

They were brand new fitted by the dealer before I purchased the car, first time out I instantly noticed the very very loud road noise....

But the worst thing with these tyres is though the wet grip - well complete lack of it... They are laughably dangerous in even slightly damp weather...

I have been looking for an excuse to get rid of them, this came along in a recent MOT - all 4 failed due to delamination (massive cracks in the side wall) 2 year old tyres with less than 15k miles on them!!

Please take my advice DO NOT BUY!
tyre reviewed on March 29, 2014
Given 0% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C5 (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 12 average miles
Had three of these on the car since I bought it. It is a heavy Citroen C5 2.2 turbo diesel. Absolutely no problems. Don't buy a budget tyre then drive like a nutcase. They do the job fairly well. 12,000 miles mixed urban and motorway. Not the quietest tyres around, but by no means the noisiest. The other tyre on my car when I bought it is a Falken, and it is just barely legal now, whereas the Federals have 5 mm minimum on them. Progressiveness is pretty good do, but I tend to drive to suit the weather and my abilities, so the boy racers and "expert" drivers might disagree. (I have my ROSPA advanced drivers qualification) Have a look at Tiff Needhams trials with premium and budget tyres if you think premium will always stop you quicker.
tyre reviewed on March 27, 2014
Looking to buy the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL? Click here to search for the best price for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL or any other tyre.

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 207GT (215-45-17-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
the best tires i ever used!!!!!
tyre reviewed on February 25, 2014
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Transporter (225-45-17-)
Had them on my new transporter 4motion and done 36k miles on same set.

Its just van, but i did enjoy the handling the 4motion and these tyres provided. Getting same tyres on next new van.
tyre reviewed on November 9, 2013
Given 41% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Integra DC2 (225-45-17-)
These were fitted to my DC2 when I bought it and I hated them. The grip is just about OK in the dry but they are not progressive at all, they just suddenly let go. They are absolutely hopeless in the wet. The DC2 isn't renowned for its torque but it would spin the wheels in third. I have an aftermarket diff fitted and it was terrible in the wet with these tyres. When I replaced the Federals with Avon's the car was so much better in the wet. I would never buy these tyres again! You have been warned!
tyre reviewed on October 14, 2013
Given 34% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Fabia vRS (205-45-16-)
These are horrible tyres!! I bought my fabia vrs with these tyres on the back. Iv got rainsport 2`s on the front and never had the front slide on me but iv had the back slide out on roundabouts several times in the wet,but the worst thing is the horrendous droning noise that comes off them. I have bought a new pair of rear wheel bearings thinking that was the problem but have been told by garage that the bearings are fine and the source of the horrible warbling drone is these crappy tyres.
AVOID AT ALL COST!!!!!
tyre reviewed on September 14, 2013
Given 72% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 106 gti (185-55-14-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 4,000 average miles
I fit those tyres on a Peugeot 106 Gti almost a month ago and since then I did with them 4000 km (summer vacation season). Half of the kilometers were held on highway and the rest on "B roads" and very twisty mountain roads. The km driven in dry roads, so I do not rate those tyres in wet grip (anyway in wet condition we should be more careful and furthermore I have winter tyres for the heavy winter). I did not rate the tyres in wear also because I have them for only 4000 km.

The dry grip is very good with great amount of grip in any kind of roads even if the asphalt is very worn or the road is like a "mirror". The braking is also good. The feedback is stiff and you know all the time what is the traction of each tyre. The steering is directly proportional the the steering wheel angle and this makes them very progressine.

The comfort is the only drawback of these tyres. Not so much their comfort on the bumps and holes where they are very good and above average for their small profile but the noise they produce especially on bad roads at speeds above 100-110 kph. I knew that before I purchaced them, but 90 percent of the usage is on B roads and less on highway and since it is a rotational agressive tyre giving good feedback and g-forces , I installed them.

Generally I recomend these tyres for those who want a good priced tyre with very good dynamic characteristics but do not travel a lot or travel with speeds of up to 100 kph.

I do not recomend the tyres for those who want travel a lot at high speeds since it gives a headache for the passengers as a result of the directional pattern of the large blocks.
tyre reviewed on August 20, 2013
Given 34% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Legacy (225-45-17-)
The noisiest tyre I have ever experienced in 40 years of driving. At low speeds a roar akin to a 747 taking off. At 50 mph the stepped wear ( yes stepped wear even after 6k miles ! ) produces a whining like the diff has packed up...at 70 - 80 they sound like all 4 wheel bearings have disintegrated...Terrible tyres. If you fit these prepare to have your stereo turned up to maximum.!
tyre reviewed on August 15, 2013
Given 44% (breakdown) while driving a Dacia Super mobile XL (225-45-17-)
As an avid car enthusiast with decent competency in performance cars, I can honestly say that these tyres are just scary in the wet.
Entering, mid, and exiting corners, your ass pinches up because of the terrible handling the tyres offer. Makes you look like you're driving like a tool, even when you're driving like, Miss Daisy. Unpredictable is how I'd describe them.

They're fine in the dry.
tyre reviewed on July 2, 2013
Given 50% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz CLK 280 (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
Shocking in the wet. The tyres were mounted on the wheels just prior to me purchasing the car. As they were new, I kept them on the car. Budget permitting - I'll change them at first opportunity.
tyre reviewed on June 16, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with Asda Tyres to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!