Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

The Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 120 tyre reviews averaging 55% over 1,183,447 miles driven.

Tyre Test Highlights

2014 Auto Bild 50 Summer Tyre Shootout - 46th of 50 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Latest Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Have you driven on the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the SS595 SUPER STEEL.

Given 43% (breakdown) while driving a BMW M3 (235/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
There tires are really bad. They came on my car when I bought it, they had about 1000 miles on them at the time. Dry traction is okay. Wet traction is scary. Never tried them in snow. They are also the very loud. I thought I had wheel bearings going out at speed. During tight slow turns in a parking lot I thought my LSD was growling. Now that I have new tires I can actually hear the exhaust note (stock exhaust). Lane changes on rutted roads can be a nasty experience too. The car would snap in and out of the ruts throwing the car latterly. I don't know that I will ever look at a tire with the "V" pattern tread the same way again. Stay away from these tires. If they are your only option in stock, order something else wait patiently for them to come in and then be glad you did. They wear pretty slowly, but I am counting that as a con because it means you will be stuck with these awful tires for even longer.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 4, 2016
Given 29% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall corsa sri (205/45 R15) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Pretty woeful.
Put these on my old 1.4 corsa and even the mighty 80bhp was too much for these tyres. They would happily spin up in the dry let alone the wet.
Even had some oversteer on a wet roundabout a couple of times, and this was hardly even pushing them. Worse thing was it wasn't even progressive, would just let go out of no where.
Quickly changed to yoko's spec 2's. Awesome tyre in comparison.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2016
Given 68% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (185/55 R14 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Reading the reviews, I really wonder how people *test* their tires.

My ride is an Alfa Romeo Sprint QV with the 1.7 engine. It is a classic as well as a coupe, so use is for track days, historic rallies and minimal daily rides.

As a daily ride, the tire is perfect. It gets noisy on the highway but only at a specific speed, which is totally fine. On the rain, I was afraid at first because of the reviews. My car park has an enormous slippery hill to climb each time I drive out, and with heavy rain the tire, whilst still cold, works fine.

As a rally tire on tarmac, it is PHENOMENAL. The car finished on the Acropolis Rally after 1000ks of twists, turns, speed, on gravel and roads. It performed like a charm. You don't believe me? Here http://www.autodelta.info/#!Passion-for-Race/czjb/57583e190cf24c9615a526e8

As a track tire, it disappointed me. It doesn't warm up quickly enough, and turns seem flimsy. Still, I dropped my times. But yes, it is not a real tire for track. Still, enough for fun - they do drift.

As an overall tire, for the price, are you kidding me? It is perfect, and will soon be fitted on a Lancia of the same period too. It just makes sense.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 17, 2016
Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (225/40 R18) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
Awful tires! Very noisy, awful grip both dry and wet. The ride is very bad. I bought the car second-hand and it came with these tires, fitted 500km before the guy sold the car to me... I changed them for barum bravuris 3 and the car is transformed. I think every driver deserves better tires than these....
0 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2016
Given 55% (breakdown) while driving a Pontiac trans am ws6 (275/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
these federal ss's came on the 96 trans am ws6 I bought. I read some reviews before winter hit ( I live in northwest Montana) and was expecting to have a very exciting winter! What I have found is they were not as bad as every one is claiming ! First dry, they do well gripping better than other tires I have owned on my 82 trans am with less horse power than this 96. the only complaint is they WILL spill your coffee trying to change lanes on rutted roads! That was easily fixed made a wooden box I can seat belt into passenger side with correct sized hole for my cup on top! Seriously, they jerk enough one wonders what the people behind you think when changing lanes from one paved rutted lane to the next, and its the front end first that jerks over then the back its CRAZY!
Wet, they are not good at all on wet cement, we only have one intersection that has cement the rest of the roads are paved. it does not matter how long its been raining, on the cement I cant take off from the light with out spinning, however, they never squeal, just spin, I have never gotten a squawk out of these tires, smoke sure, but not squealing. on pavement if it has rained enough to actually wash some of the calcium chloride and sand off they grip , not like race tires, but they will hold the back end accelerating around corners fairly well.
Snow. Ahahaha! gotta love not being able to drive with the back end behind you!! I actually got stuck trying to back into my drive in the middle of the road because of the crown of the road!! that was on snow pack. wet snow is even worse! I would say snowed more than one inch.. don't drive it! of course if it snowed more than three inches I am shoveling snow with the nose any way! I found though much to my surprise, if you can have snow pack that is sanded these tires once again shine! I guess the width and the sand on the snow makes it comparable to studded snow tires (on my 97 dakota) Seriously! I could stop faster than I could on wet cement! ( Did I mention the amount of deer, elk, moose and bear we have on the road ways here in North west Montana? Trust me a moose is VERY!! intimidating when sitting in a trans am!!)
Like I mentioned earlier, I have only had these tires since I bought the car last fall, I drive it every day I can to work 17? miles one way in the next town, so I get it up to seventy on the four lane, and have to drive through two small towns, the three weeks of dry roads I had were actually pretty awesome with these tires, with the exception being they really do have flat spots for about two miles at 60mph when the temp starts to dip. enough so, I was wondering about u joints or bearings! then they did great! the other five months I have yet to have dry roads with out sand or calcium chloride. black ice or frosty roads are ridiculously fun and exciting! touch the gas the back end starts around, touch the brake, the back end starts around! I am getting good at shoving the shiftier into N. because this trans am has a posi trac. when I come creeping up to a stop sign, and push the brake to bring it to a complete stop, it just pushes the front tires locked and of course the front end starts sliding which ever way the road is sloped. The couple hundred pounds I put in trunk to not get stuck in middle of the road helps, but increases the front end just sliding not stopping problem
0 - tyre reviewed on February 1, 2016