Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

Progressiveness 53%
Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

The Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 116 tyre reviews averaging 55% over 1,159,447 miles driven.

205/55 R16 £41.70 - £48.70 (5 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/45 R17 £45.04 - £55.40 (9 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/40 R18 £49.70 - £58.50 (5 prices) Compare Prices >>
235/35 R19 £82.80 - £87.00 (4 prices) Compare Prices >>

Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Given 55% (breakdown) while driving a Pontiac trans am ws6 (275-40-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
these federal ss's came on the 96 trans am ws6 I bought. I read some reviews before winter hit ( I live in northwest Montana) and was expecting to have a very exciting winter! What I have found is they were not as bad as every one is claiming ! First dry, they do well gripping better than other tires I have owned on my 82 trans am with less horse power than this 96. the only complaint is they WILL spill your coffee trying to change lanes on rutted roads! That was easily fixed made a wooden box I can seat belt into passenger side with correct sized hole for my cup on top! Seriously, they jerk enough one wonders what the people behind you think when changing lanes from one paved rutted lane to the next, and its the front end first that jerks over then the back its CRAZY!
Wet, they are not good at all on wet cement, we only have one intersection that has cement the rest of the roads are paved. it does not matter how long its been raining, on the cement I cant take off from the light with out spinning, however, they never squeal, just spin, I have never gotten a squawk out of these tires, smoke sure, but not squealing. on pavement if it has rained enough to actually wash some of the calcium chloride and sand off they grip , not like race tires, but they will hold the back end accelerating around corners fairly well.
Snow. Ahahaha! gotta love not being able to drive with the back end behind you!! I actually got stuck trying to back into my drive in the middle of the road because of the crown of the road!! that was on snow pack. wet snow is even worse! I would say snowed more than one inch.. don't drive it! of course if it snowed more than three inches I am shoveling snow with the nose any way! I found though much to my surprise, if you can have snow pack that is sanded these tires once again shine! I guess the width and the sand on the snow makes it comparable to studded snow tires (on my 97 dakota) Seriously! I could stop faster than I could on wet cement! ( Did I mention the amount of deer, elk, moose and bear we have on the road ways here in North west Montana? Trust me a moose is VERY!! intimidating when sitting in a trans am!!)
Like I mentioned earlier, I have only had these tires since I bought the car last fall, I drive it every day I can to work 17? miles one way in the next town, so I get it up to seventy on the four lane, and have to drive through two small towns, the three weeks of dry roads I had were actually pretty awesome with these tires, with the exception being they really do have flat spots for about two miles at 60mph when the temp starts to dip. enough so, I was wondering about u joints or bearings! then they did great! the other five months I have yet to have dry roads with out sand or calcium chloride. black ice or frosty roads are ridiculously fun and exciting! touch the gas the back end starts around, touch the brake, the back end starts around! I am getting good at shoving the shiftier into N. because this trans am has a posi trac. when I come creeping up to a stop sign, and push the brake to bring it to a complete stop, it just pushes the front tires locked and of course the front end starts sliding which ever way the road is sloped. The couple hundred pounds I put in trunk to not get stuck in middle of the road helps, but increases the front end just sliding not stopping problem
tyre reviewed on February 1, 2016
Given 33% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru 04 WRX (255-35-18-)
they are okay in the dry

wet it gets worse but the worst thing about this tyre is how it reacts to the road and its unevenness, also it is EXTREMELY NOISY, i couldnt tell if my wheel bearings were out or the tyre until i changed tyres....

being a hardish compound, hence the name super steel, its wear is pretty good but thats the only plus!

WOULD NOT GET AGAIN
tyre reviewed on January 8, 2016
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Chaser (245-40-18-)
Driving on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
Owned a set on my JZX100 Toyota Chaser. Abit noisy in the dry and steering feel is at tad numb with the soft sidewall.

In the dry these tyres have good to decent grip and not to mention progressive too. Tyres talk back and can drive close to the limit before it screeches.

In the rain these tyres are terrible. Dont even hope of having grip what so ever. Can barely get traction off the line, just spins the rear wheels. Dont dare to drive fast in the rain, you will stack your car into a tree or gutter.

But it is run the rear out in the rain at 20/30/40 km/h.

Cant comment on tyre wear, but hope these wear out soon, excuse to get new tyres.
tyre reviewed on November 11, 2015
Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Colt (205-45-16-V)
Not bad tyres for the money they cost. Their biggest downside is noise in the cabin and their very average grip on wet.
tyre reviewed on November 7, 2015
Given 36% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz S500 (225-45-17-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
very noisy on my Benz s500.
tyre reviewed on October 2, 2015
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru 04 WRX (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 5,000 average miles
I have an AWD car so dry grip is already an advantage although in the wet.. had a bit of tramlining which shows it does have very bad road feedback.

ITS VERY NOISY.... i am looking to change tyres soon as these are not good, but they are a budget tyre!
tyre reviewed on August 27, 2015
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Land Rover Discovery 2 (255-55-18-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 32,000 spirited miles
awesome tyre for the money, fitted to my discovery td5, last for 32thousand miles,great grip in the wet dry anything.
tyre reviewed on June 7, 2015
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Innova (225-55-17-V)
For the price and performance, this is a great buy. Used for over 15 months both on and off-road. Highly recommended.
tyre reviewed on May 26, 2015
Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan Silvia (225-45-17-)
Absolutely horrendous tyres. I bought my Silvia S15 about 2 months ago with these tyres on the rear, i expected them to be pretty mediocre except much to my surprise they are OKAY in the dry - however the first time driving them in the wet I honestly thought I was going to die, I even pulled over for a bit. Aquaplaned every 30 seconds or so & even loses traction going 60km around a small bend.
I've since ordered Potenza Adrenalin RE003 which seem like amazing tyres.

DO NOT purchase these tyres unless you want a deathwish. I've never fully understood the importance of premium tyres until experiencing the absolute atrocious quality of the SS595 Super Steels
tyre reviewed on April 22, 2015
Given 49% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Fabia vRS (205-45-16-W)
Driving on mostly motorways for 50 average miles
Expect shortcomings if you're prepared to buy budget tyres.
tyre reviewed on November 10, 2014