Federal Super Steel 657

The Federal Super Steel 657 is a Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 8 tyre reviews averaging 55% over 110,200 miles driven.

2011 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 10th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good dry braking.
  • Negative - In spite of M+S marking the tyre fails on snow an dice. Long stopping distances on wet roads, unbalanced handling.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Federal Super Steel 657
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Federal Super Steel 657. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Federal Super Steel 657 Review

Given 57% while driving a Chevrolet Lacetti (195/55 R15 V) on mostly motorways for 40,000 average miles
Bought these as I'd had federal on my Mondeo 2.2 TDCI which were fine. These to be fair have lasted a massively long time, just over 35k on the fronts. I do mainly motorway driving and there's not my power in a Lacetti so no rip roaring starts.

However they are really, really bad in the snow and wet, they give very little grip in the wet and have skidded often on braking and when pulling away, and as I said 1.6 Lacetti wont pull the skin of a rice pudding!

In the snow I almost demolished a garden wall, slight hill, foot on brake at about 10mph, the tyres let go and I slid 20m - 30m down the incline, in a straight line, down a curved road and then over the pavement, it's only because the off side wheel caught the curb that I went round the corner and on to the flat and stopped. It's lucky that no one was on the path or I'd have taken them out at about 20mph.

Won't be getting them again.

N.B. Mondeo same hill, same speed (probably faster), same conditions, Kumo 205/50/17 tyres no problem at all.
4 - tyre reviewed on July 21, 2010

Latest Federal Super Steel 657 Reviews

Have you driven on the Federal Super Steel 657 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Super Steel 657.

Given 30% while driving a Honda Accord (195/65 R15 S) on mostly town for 2,000 easy going miles
This is the worst tires ever. I got two of them from a used tires dealer...They still have over 80% tread on them. Drove it for two months and notice the vibration started... thought it was unbalance so took it to have it balance and discovered that one of the tires was twisted like a prezel so got it replace with another used tires. Two weeks later I felt a bumb while I was on the freeway. Got of the freeway and check on the tires and the other one that was left had two hug bumbs on the middle of the tires. Took it off and discovered that the tread were separated, completely peel off like a banana. I could of been hurt. The worse tires ever...I can understand if one is bad but both of them are...dame at 80% treads and this happen. I know it's used but it's has over 80% tread life left on them. I bought used tire before but none is worse than the FERAL SS 657 AND I AM SURE THAT ALL OTHER FERDERAL TIRES ARE PRABABLY THE SAME.
2 - tyre reviewed on October 28, 2014
Given 34% while driving a Citron berlingo (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 8,000 average miles
Ok in the dry, but shockingly bad in the wet, to the point that I think I will be changing the tyres for another make even before they have reached the end of their useful life on the car, they are that bad.
Relatively hardwearing however, comfort/road noise/economy are all fairly average.
My opinion, not great tyres, probably best to look elsewhere...
1 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2013
Given 54% while driving a GMC Saturn Ion (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 100 average miles
The tires do not like the grooves that are cut into the road, Makes it feel like your driving in ruts. On smooth roads tires are fine.I would not buy again.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 31, 2012
Given 47% while driving a Ford Focus (195/60 R15) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
Do not buy,much better tires for the same price.
3 - tyre reviewed on April 17, 2012
Given 56% while driving a Ford Fairlane NL (205/65 R15 H) on mostly motorways for 100 average miles
Horrible in the wet!! Never again
0 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2011