General Grabber A/T3

The General Grabber AT3 is a All Terrain and Off Road All Season tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4

The Grabber AT3 features three new technologies from General Tire that allow for high grip both on and off-road, enhanced acoustic performance and improved mileage.

The technologies consist of “TracGen”, which includes an open shoulder design, traction ridges which the developers call “traction pockets and sipes arranged at different angles to enhance grip properties.

“DuraGen”, is a rubber compound that provides excellent rip resistance and improves mileage in rough terrain. This combination of design features boost the self-cleaning properties of the tread, permits good interlocking with loose surfaces and provides a large number of edges to deliver grip in every direction.

The third technology, known as “ComfortBalance” demonstrates the developers’ success in overcoming the conflicting interests of ride comfort on road and good off-road grip. The balanced block geometry of the tread with low stiffness and the specially modified arrangement of the blocks in the center of the tread reduce vibration in the tyre, providing good ride comfort on the road.

On wet and dry surfaces, the new Grabber AT3 performs at the same high level as its predecessor, while traction on snow has been substantially improved. In off-road use, grip in mud and on wet grass has been improved and the tyre presents higher resistance to tread damage than its predecessor.

The Grabber AT3 will be available in 44 sizes for rims between 15 and 20 inches, with an additional 20 LT and C sizes to follow in the spring of 2017. These tyres are approved for speeds of up to 150 mph and as an all-season tyre, the Grabber AT3 bears the M+S mark and the snowflake symbol to signify safe handling on snow-covered surfaces.

This tyre replaced the General GRABBER AT2

Tyre review data from 7 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 189,800 miles driven.

Reports

2018 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test - 8th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Low noise level.
  • Negative - Very poor wet grip, high risk of aquaplaning, long stability and long braking distances in the snow.
  • Overall - Not recommended.

2017 Drive Out Off Road 4x4 Tyre Test - 5th of 7 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the General Grabber AT3

Questions and Answers for the General Grabber AT3

2017-07-03 - Looking at the test results above how come the "wear" results is so bad ?? If it's a great tyre ? Other than that they seem just the job ?

At time of writing, neither of the two reviews of the General Grabber AT3 have given a score for wear, so it isn't that the wear score is bad, it's just that no one has graded it yet.

2018-09-28 - If one had to compare the General Grabber AT3 to the Goodyear HP all Weather, what EU ratings would the Grabber get in terms of Fuel efficiency and road noise. The EU ratings normally indicate a A-H rating for each.

EU label scores depend on size and dot codes. If we don't list all the Grabber AT3 label scores on the main page, then it is best to consult the manufacturers website for the latest information.

Top General Grabber AT3 Review

Given 97% while driving a Honda CRV (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
I use these both on and off the road. No really heavy off roading but up a lot of farm tracks and across grass. fields. I had Bridgestone Dueller ht684 but were not impressed with them. As soon as the Grabber AT3 were fitted the car was a lot more responsive, but above all they are a lot quieter and makes for a lot more comfortable ride on the road. I ran the Bridgestone's at 26psi as per the handbook but I run the Grabber's at 36psi as per tyre fitter recomendation. I am getting an extra 2-3 mpg since fitting these tyres.
181 - tyre reviewed on December 8, 2016

Latest General Grabber AT3 Reviews

Have you driven on the General Grabber AT3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Grabber AT3.

Given 76% while driving a Mitsubishi Outlander (215/65 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 16,000 spirited miles
General AT3 fitted to Mitsubishi Outlander Commercial 4wd. Absolutely superb tyres. Wear isn't up to BFG AT traditions but many manufacturers lacking the carbon black in the rubber for enviro reasons. These tyres are incredible in snow and soft/light mud. They are on another level on snow vs the Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather which I have on a Jeep GC. Quiet, responsive, very impressed.
7 - tyre reviewed on January 31, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Volkswagen Toureg R Line V8 Diesel (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 140,000 average miles
Put a set of AT3's on my VW touareg R line . To begin with i thought i had made a big mistake as the tyres were unbelievably poor grip in wet conditions .However as they wore the shine off they started to perform better and better . now i think they are very good tyres , better than the AT2's in most respects.Great combination on and off road .I tow big loads and they give very good traction on all surfaces . Would definately buy again .
32 - tyre reviewed on June 11, 2018
Given 85% while driving a Kia Motors sorento (235/70 R17 T) on a combination of roads for 2,000 easy going miles
I've rated them against other AT tyres with my marks out of ten....
I've put them on a 2913 Sorento as the occasional off road trip requires them. AT tyres....I think cheaper ones are so noisy with poor performance there not worth the hassle where as better all terrain tyres just have much better design and testing so using them on the road does not become an ordeal.
On the car were Pirelli Verde on the rear and Nexen on the front. On the road these were great.
While tyres is a subject all sorts of people get up on there soapbox for me its a totally personal choice between what you want,how you drive and what you will put up with.
Me I like all terrains on my SUV I believe at the minimum highway terrain's should be fitted as standard.
First off there well made, I do not think tread looks as good as some others(which matters to some) but they do have a nice sidewall.(no white letters on these)
On the road I do not drive fast and to be honest no massive deterioration in handling in the dry, noise it a tiny bit louder but really no great increase. The one place none road tyres(and this includes HT tyres) struggle is that damp condition after a dry spell where suits lifts oils and grime to create a bit of a slime. Here you notice a little more under steer but no great increase. When occasion I've had the push along a bit again excellence.
These are the best handling AT terrain tyres I've used by a mile....
In the recent snow where I actually went up ion higher ground with a foot plus on the lanes and they were excellent. The car actually stayed in front wheel drive mostly with me actually stopping on fairly steep gradient hairpin and pulling away easily. Braking and cornering were excellent. It obviously never got below -10 and in the UK this is where in my opinion an all season tyre suffices. You do have to obviously cut of traction control as it cuts engine power.
They are 3 peaks mountain snowflake labelled.
Off road apart from some tracks I did misread a grass field. I didn't think it was a boggy as it was or wet as I picked the higher line.....
The tyres were sinking in a good 10", the field was grass and soaking with this being one of the worse conditions for traction with the mud and grass creating a really slimy surface. While it wouldn't just drive out I did need to cut traction control and get the tyres spinning a bit.The tyres totally ejected all mud and grass....
They were probably nearly at the point where I would need to air down, in places it had dropped at least a foot bit it still drove out....Fantastic for an all terrain.
It was between these and the Continental ATR with the AT3 being a bit more aggressive. I would have picked the ATR(obviously Continental own General with General offering a more extreme tyre)
On the Sorento is a 235/65 r17 as standard and I just wanted a little more height.
I did need to replace rear springs anyway but fitted a full set of Eiback Pro which have maybe a 20mm lift.
The AT3 is offered in many more sizes and I fitted 235/70 r17. The tyre has totally exceeded expectations in all areas.
As an initial review it ticks all my boxes so highly recommended for the price(I think I paid about £118 a tyres at Boss tyres)
I think the only thing that would hold some people back is like I said earlier the tread is not as good looking as some which to be fair when people are so concerned how there car looks I think the tyres are a big parts of that.
They still look great and I think my Sorento looks so much better with these on so big thumbs up.
13 - tyre reviewed on February 25, 2018
Given 30% while driving a Ford Ranger (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
I have been driving 4x4 vehicles for at least 25 years and drive off road as paet of my job, construction and forestry. I have mainly used Nissan Navara but a couple of years ago I bought a new Ford Ranger double cab pick up truck, the truck was fitted with Bridgestone all terrain tyres and they lasted to 70,000 miles. They were extremely good on road and about average off road.

I recently bought 4 x new General Grabber AT3 tyres as I have used them before on one of the Nissan Navaras, but what a disaster they have truned out to be, extremely harsh ride with jolting and axle tramping, and on the poor country roads in my area the truck bounces across the pot holes. I took the truck back to the supplier and asked them to check the pressure, the pressure was actually a couple of psi low so they put them up to the correct pressure and they are even worse.

These are without a doubt the worse tyres I have ever bought.
64 - tyre reviewed on July 31, 2017