Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

Progressiveness 78%
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear EfficientGrip

Tyre review data from 103 tyre reviews averaging 81% over 829,437 miles driven.

Reports

195/65 R15 £35.30 - £44.00 (14 prices) Compare Prices >>
205/55 R16 £44.80 - £75.04 (42 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/45 R17 £65.00 - £75.14 (12 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/40 R18 £67.80 - £79.56 (6 prices) Compare Prices >>

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance Reviews

Given 53% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota avensis 2.2 D-cat (225-45-18-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 10,000 easy going miles
Have just replaced these (reinforced) front tyres after 10k miles due to heavy edge wear. 4mm tread still left in the middle. I had hoped that the claimed greater economy and less noise compared with the previous Continental Contact Sport 5s might materialise. Actually, mpg fell over the period, and there was no perceptible reduction in road noise. I did notice that the softer compound meant that the sidewalls were more susceptible to cuts and scuffing from potholes on the appallingly badly maintained roads where I live (Cornwall).
On the plus side, no complaints regarding roadholding, wet grip or braking so no worries about safety. To be fair, I don't get good front mileage out of any premium tyre on this vehicle with the big diesel auto lump and silly 18-inch bling wheels not helping, but have reverted to same Continentals in the hope that they stand up a bit better to being battered by potholes !
tyre reviewed on January 19, 2016
Given 53% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi FTO GPvR (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 6,000 average miles
Not that impressed to be honest, same ratings as Uniroyal Rainsport 3s but the performance doesn't match. In comparison the Goodyears just make the car feel considerably less sure footed and wallowy. Perhaps on a small light Euro Box these would be much more impressive, but they cannot handle the weight or power from my FTO. (To be fair the Rainsports aren't the dogs danglies in that respect either but they are better than Goodyear's offering)
tyre reviewed on January 18, 2016
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan Sentra (205-50-17-W)
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on January 13, 2016
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord i DTEC EX (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 17 average miles
I have just bought my 2nd set of Goodyear EfficientGrip performance tyres after having previously owned on my prior vehicle (same car), in actual fact these tyres were probably the reason I was not injured in an accident that resulted in the car being written off and I had to replace with my current! The stopping power in all but the worst road conditions is superb, considering that these are "Green economy" tyres, you normally have to take a hit on the braking ability and handling grip, but these tyres really do deliver the best of both in a healthy compromise.Better in the dry than wet (unsurprisingly), but equally confident in either condition. Others have commented on the side-wall distortion (rolling) effect of these tyres, but I find that this ONLY occurs when accelerating/decelerating hard and turning at the same time (for example a roundabout@speed), but otherwise they are fine...let's not forget, performance around the Nurburging will unlikely be your principle reason for purchasing this model of tyre.

Most of us will be buying for the economy, mileage & handling. Since fitting them (100 miles so far) my MPG has increased by 2MPG, which cannot be a co-incidence as previous tyres ran a consistent 51.3 MPG over 14 months with a smooth and steady driving style-increased to 53.3 with GY-EG fitted. Obviously I have only just got these ones, but the previous ones I owned exceeded 17,500 miles and still had 4-5mm of tread on each tyre before the car got scrapped-astonishing really...considering the "Landsail" tyres they replaced barely lasted 11,000 miles before becoming illegal and an MOT fail! I have already commented on the handling; I do tire (hah!) of reading other people writing about how these tyres lack response and "feel of the road". If you want that performance; buy a Conty or Pirelli which will clearly not last the distance the Goodyears will! All-in-all I am very happy with the purchase and consider them superior to Michelin Energy model that I owned prior to these on the original car. Whilst good on miles the performance in the wet was sorely lacking, which is gladly not the case with the Goodyears. Buy with confidence if economy, value and long lasting performance is what you're after.
tyre reviewed on January 6, 2016
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Renault (195-65-15-H)
This is the third set of the Goddyear EfficientGrip Performance I've been buying in the last 3 years, the 2nd set on this car (Renault Megane 16V 2008) after the previous set lasted ~60,000 KM.
Very nice grip dry/wet, very responsive and I know what's going on with the front just by getting lots of information from the steering wheel.
The fact that I have these tyres on both my cars - speaks for itself.
tyre reviewed on January 6, 2016
Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a BMW E46 3 Series (205-55-16-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
It is a very good tyre and it responds very well in every kind of driving style. It is quiet with plenty of grip and precise steering wheel. The overall driving performance of the car is upgrated, even the acceleration is improved.The wear rate is good in the roads of Greece where the friction factor is low. It is not a race tyre but I suppose it is designed for the roads and not for the race. I own a BMW and I enjoy the spirited style of the car. These tyres never disappointed me whenever I demanded all the potential either from the engine (143ps) or from the handling.
tyre reviewed on December 27, 2015
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Caddy (205-55-16-V)
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on December 9, 2015
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo C30 R Design Sport (225-40-18-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 10 average miles
Just bought a set for my rears, have had them on the front for about a year and a half. I moved from UHP tyres to 'touring' tyres to improve wear rate - and it's definitely worked. The pay of is aggressive grip due to a softer sidewall. For daily driving these are great, not so good f spirited driving but that's not what they're made for.

I woul definitely recommend, iv not got them on all corners. Got loads of tread left after about 10k miles, only used a couple of mm
tyre reviewed on December 5, 2015
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Avensis (225-45-17-)
Good, last 30k front and more on the rear
tyre reviewed on November 18, 2015
Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon TDi SE 110 (225-45-17-)
Fitted to O4 Seat Leon TDI that does a mixture of country roads and motorway miles. I drive fairly sensibly but like to have a blast once in a while.

Good points
-Very good in the dry
-Very good in the wet (not so good when 50% worn)
-Low noise
-Good fuel efficiency (I get 50 mpg driving sensibly)

Bad points
-Wear rate - mine have done 22,000 in 12 months and still have 3-4mm but now it's getting wet they are nowhere near as sure footed.
-Soft tyre walls - tend to roll a bit when pushed round corners and like others I keep checking my tyre pressures!

Overall - not a bad tyre - I like grip and it has loads in the dry - you can push the tyre and it feels good. Likewise in the wet they have good grip and you tend to know what the limits are. Now that they are on 3-4mm they are noticeably less grippy on damp roads and will be replaced soon so I have new rubber for the winter season.

Only been on the car 12m but have done 22,000+ miles so not actually that bad. I know that if I drove the car harder or had them on a higher spec car you could easily scrub them by 10,000 miles. It's a trade off for grip vs wear rate. I previously had Goodrich G-Grip and they lasted 33,000 miles but probably not as grippy but still very good in wet/dry.

For the money the GY are a good tyre but if you are a spirited driver or don't want the squidgy sidewalls you may want to reconsider.
tyre reviewed on October 29, 2015