Goodyear EfficientGrip

Goodyear EfficientGrip

Goodyear EfficientGrip Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 61% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz B180Cdi (205/55 R17) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
Have a problem with directional stability on wet route.
1 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2017
Given 44% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (185/55 R15 H) on mostly town for 3,000 easy going miles
Worst tyres I ever had. The first time I had to make a full stop in a rainy day almost collided with the front car. HUGE braking distance!
Compared to the last ones (Continental Premium Contact 2) these are terrible...
Very dangerous to use the brakes on top of road crossings with these tyres!!!
1 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2017
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo estate (215/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Firstly, some background. This isn't part of the review, but will provide some context. I don't use a single set of tyres. Instead I have summer tyres (the Goodyear EfficientGrip I'm reviewing) on the original alloys that came with the vehicle and winter tyres (Nangkang SV2) on a set of steels. It makes changing them a doddle (sub 1hr) and therefore makes sure that I do swap them over twice a year.

Due to my rotation of winter/summer, it also means I can rotate front/back tyres on both sets and get almost perfect even wear across all the tyres. I've found this is the best way with tyres as it means I'm always getting the best performance from the tread and I can replace an entire set of 4, not pairs and swap with the rears like I used to.

Another advantage is I can inspect each tyre very closely for uneaven wear, bulges, separation etc and make sure that when I drive the car, the stuff that keeps me alive is still at top performance. Now for the review...

Its very hard to give the exact mileage since I've swapped them for winters approximately twice a year (usually October/November and March/April). One thing I can say is I've had the tyres for a VERY long time. I can't actually remember when I last got the summers replace. I'm very impressed, therefore, with the wear overall - bearing in mind I regularly swap front/rear.

The performance of these tyres is very surprising - as is the car to be honest. Its a very boring standard Ford Mondeo Estate (diesel) but the handling of such a normal estate really surprises me sometimes if you push it! Especially with these tyres. Its literally like driving a train. My driving is mixed/modest most of the time (I have a family) but occasionally I travel to Wales and Yorkshire with lots of twisty windy roads and you really can feel the performance of the tyres. I've only started to notice a slight drop in performance down to the last 2-4mm - but that is because the centre treads really have lost most of their grip now - time to replace!

On the motorway, they are quiet as a mouse. I can't really comment on fuel economy as I only have the winters to compare to and it is to be expected there will be a significant difference between the two.

In the rain, I guess they could be a tad better if you push them but then again my driving style changes in the rain and I don't really push it. I've never had any issues with roundabouts, aquaplaning or emergency stops in the wet (defensive driving) - so can't ask for much more. If you try and push them in the wet then yes you will feel them losing grip. This is a positive comment - as you need a tyre to tell you when its losing grip so you can correct before its too late. So good for normal driving, but dont expect them to be like glue in the wet.

I'm so pleased with the tyres overall, I'll be replacing them with the same ones again. Even after some considerable research into what might have come on the market since.

This time I'm going for the EfficientGrip Performance as there is a slight improvement on economy and they are reinforced (estate car and uk potholes, enough said). With the label ratings of A A and under 70db, plus XL, and very high reviews on here and other vendors, its a no brainer for me.

0 - tyre reviewed on May 1, 2017
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a MINI MINI COUNTRYMAN S ALL4 (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 30,000 average miles
Runflat version fitted to Mini Countryman - OK tyres, no pretensions of being a full sports tyres and as a general daily driver tyre they did the job just fine. Comfort their worst feature, but thats as much about the MINI suspension, ridiculously heavy alloy wheels and the runflat version of the tyre. Didn't do anything particularly well, but no real bad points - Used winter wheels so no experience of how these performance in frost, ice and snow. Typically lasted 18k miles.
0 - tyre reviewed on April 28, 2017
Given 65% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Focus Zetec (225/55 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 50,000 easy going miles
Ford Focus estate 1600tdci 2014
Original equipment from new
Fronts lasted 22000 and replaced again after a further 22000 miles
Rears good tread depth of 4mm at 50000 but noise from rears sounded like a bad bearing which happily turned out to be the tyres
So relatively good wear factors
Never tested to the limit of speed or fast cornering however
3 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2017
Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Citroën berlingo (215/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 20,000 easy going miles
Just hit 20,000 mile on these tyres on my Citroen Berlingo Multispace XTR and I already have to replace them as down to tyre wear indicators. Tyres have been rotated and the wear is equal across all 4 tyres. Like other users I found the tyres very quiet at first but increasingly noisy as wear increased. I am disappointed with the tyre wear and wont be buying them again.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 6, 2016
Fiat 500 (225/45 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 16,000 spirited miles
These tyres came fitted to my Fiat 500s God only knows why, they definitely do not help with fuel economy, quiet! I don't think so, the car had only done 11k when I got it, the tyre drone gets on my nerves.
BAD points as there are no good ones.
These tyres are horrific not only do I have to deal with tram lining they are scary as he'll in the wet.
I am at 16k now and after my last scare (aquaplaning, and nearly ending up in someone's front garden) they have got to go and no I am not replacing with the same.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 4, 2016
Given 47% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan almera 1.5 (185/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 10 average miles
had these for 3 years and 1 is scrap thanks partially to a puncture, not goodyears fault but the rubber is cracking badly at the bottom of tread and the serviceable tyre is showing signs of cracking so will be scrapped at the same time. still has 5mm of tread depth on it. sidewalls far too soft
7 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2016
Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Fiesta mk7 (195/45 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 32,000 average miles
I fitted these tyres to my Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCi Titanium 3 years ago. My original reasoning for choosing these tyres was for their ability to increase your fuel economy, and claims over how quiet they were (66dB on this wheel size). The car's OEM tyres were Continental Sport Contact 2s which, to me, seemed like an odd choice given the 67bhp 1.4 diesel engine which is aimed at fuel economy, and has a ‘leisurely’ (putting it diplomatically) 0-60mph time of 15 seconds!

The Good:
From the moment these tyres were fitted, I saw an instant increase in fuel economy. I noted a 5mpg gain on the first full tank of fuel. The car has continued to provide excellent fuel economy on these tyres over the past 3 years, easily averaging 65mpg, with 70+mpg on occasions in the summer months – I never got close to this on the Sport Contacts.

Wear has also been fantastic. The tyres have now completed 32,000 miles (rotated at approx. 22,000), and there is still around 5mm tread on the front tyres, and 4mm on the rear. 40-45k miles is looking realistic.

Grip levels are completely fine with the car handling roundabouts in the wet at speed, and no major loss in feel when driving sensibly - although I am starting to notice a slight decrease in grip in wet conditions now.

The Bad:
When first fitted, they were relatively quiet, although not as quiet as I expected, but still acceptable. As they passed 20,000miles however, they started to get noisier and noisier. On rougher roads, there is now a lot of road roar/rumble. I noted some reviewers below state that they experienced a noise like a wheel bearing wearing out on these tyres, and I have also found this too, especially from the rear of the car – almost like a humming sound at around 60mph.

The noise levels are becoming so bad, it is making me consider replacing them early. Comfort levels are therefore not fantastic in the long term.

Grip levels in snow are very low, even by summer tyre standards, and they are defeated by even the gentlest of slopes, but I get the feeling this is generally the case for all low rolling resistance tyres.

Overall:
These tyres have worked really well on the Fiesta, with fuel economy and wear being fantastic – a definite 10 out of 10 on those front. Comfort though does deteriorate badly as the tyre wears. Also bear in mind this Fiesta engine develops a lowly 67bhp. The Efficient Grips are definitely at their best on ‘normal’ family cars with engine power approx.
37 - tyre reviewed on September 27, 2016