Goodyear OptiGrip

The Goodyear OptiGrip is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 16 tyre reviews averaging 71% over 208,500 miles driven.

Reports

205/60 R16 92H   F C 68
225/45 R17 94W XL
205/50 R17 93W XL
225/50 R17 98W XL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Goodyear OptiGrip. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Goodyear OptiGrip Review

Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Rover 75 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 50,000 average miles
I was very happy with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres however on switching to the Goodyears, the wear and wet grip are fantastic. Highly recommended.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 23, 2012

Latest Goodyear OptiGrip Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear OptiGrip tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the OptiGrip.

Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia estate (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 30,000 average miles
I fitted 4 of this on my Skoda octavia in December 2011 and have driven 30,000 miles since. I have just gone to change 2 of them today because of damaged side wall and nail puncture. The remaining 2 have about 5mm thread depth left. I think the wear and tear all depends on driving style. If you slow down your car in good time by changing down the gears; not speeding fast towards a traffic light will prolong the life of the tyres. Road noise was very terrible at some points on M25
0 - tyre reviewed on May 6, 2016
Given 36% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
10000 km and the tyres are so loud I had to change them. I am so disapointed with them I'll never buy Good Year again. Dry grip is good, wet grip good but overall the tyre is worse-buy. When I changed the winter tyres/rims and put on summer tyres/rims the noise was so loud I went to my mechanic to ask him to verify/change my bearings. The bearings were fine. The loudest noise is at 40-50 km/h. The wear on the both sides of each front and back tyre looked like the saw teeth. The mechanic checked the weels orientation and it was OK. winter tyres wear even after 20000+ km. Today I bouth new tires and my car is quiet again. The worse way to spend 100 euro/tyre.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 30, 2014
Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205/50 R17 W) on mostly town for 15,000 average miles
at the moment (For a few days) I have one of these at the front nearside and another type of tyre on the front offside. It is noticeable that the road noise is much louder from the nearside. There was one of these on the front offside until a few days ago when it failed MOT due to cracked side walls.
The side walls have cracked on both fronts after 1 year and 15000 miles, with 3.8mm tread left. Goodyear have agreed to take it back to investigate under their 5 year warranty.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 18, 2013
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo V70 2.4 (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Absolutely superb tyres in the wet. I've now done approx. 5000 miles on these, and with the exception of the first 250 miles or so (I've seen a few complaints about initial grip - they do take a while to bed-in), the wet grip has been pretty much constant since I got them. The 'tread gets wider as the tyre wears' design really does seem to work.

The drawback is the dry performance. Grip levels are OK (though not up to my previous Vredestein Sportracs), but there's not a huge amount of feedback from them, and if you push hard it feels like the tread is squirming around a bit on the road surface. They never feel unsafe though, and I've not had a single 'moment' with them, even with some fairly enthusiastic driving.

Overall a great tyre for all-round use, though with the bias firmly towards wet performance, which is exactly what you want in a big lardy old barge of a car with a torquey engine, like I've got. I'd hesitate to recommend them if you've got a more sporty car that you like slinging round bends in the dry, as there are definitely better tyres for that, but if you want something for general touring / commuting use all year round, they should definitely be high on your list. They are also (at least in my size) considerably cheaper than Conti Premium Contacts (which I've yet to try, but tend to rate even higher than the Optigrips).
0 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2012