Hankook Optimo 4S

Show all: Hankook tyres, Passenger Car All Season High Performance tyres
The Hankook Optimo 4S is a High Performance All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 25 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 280,842 miles driven.

Hankook Optimo 4S

86%

90%

Tyre Test Results:

Hankook Optimo 4S Reviews

Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a BMW (225-55-16-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 28,000 easy going miles
After years of company cars I bought a mint '02 E39 520 SE and ran it as my full time car, including a raft of motorway and urban miles.

I needed to be able to get around during winter so I thought about getting some winter tyres to swap to, but our summers and winters in the UK midlands are so variable I'd never know when to make the swap. After researching I decided to give these Hankook optima 4S tyres a go.

Compared to the P6 cinturatos they replaced I was immediately taken with the improved wet performance, but also a bit of extra noise. I fitted them in Autumn, so I really only noticed the benefits when the first frosts arrived. The Hankooks were unaffected by even heavy frosts and dustings of snow, with grip being workable in general use. The extra confidence these tyres gave in icy conditions was excellent compared to the P6s.

The tyres did not magically turn my car into a Land Rover, but they certainly made the car much safer in poor conditions, while not compromising normal dry, warm driving too much. They never felt like "bad tyres" in the summer.

They had done 28k miles when my car was written off by a clumsy lotty driver. They still had more than 2.5 mm on them.

Recommended for drivers who want to keep moving all winter without the dry compromise of winter tyres.

I just bought some for my new e39 with 17 inch wheels on them.

tyre reviewed on June 28, 2015
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Spacestar (185-65-14-T)
Driving on a combination of roads for 34,000 easy going miles
I constantly keep all-season tires on the back axle - so I drove these Optimo's on the back axle through summers and winters. That saves our budget, having total of 6 tires instead of 8. That also means I can't rightfully score progressiveness or road feedback, which are more applicable on the front... It doesn't give me unwanted skids on the back side, since the car is short and the cornering style is calm.
Other than developing an unsolvable problem with rear right tire which deflates about 1 bar/week, I am completely satisfied with them. The problem was tackled 3-4 times by different tire fitting shops (servicemen), but with little change. Run for 55000 km's in all conditions - from -20 deg.C to +40 deg.C (yes, that is the weather amplitude in Serbia). Had to give lower wearing score because of the problem. Plan to replace them next week with my old set of winter Hankooks (which really fine), to wear them for few mm more - this should be the last season for them, too.
Very good tire, despite my problem with one of the two.
tyre reviewed on June 12, 2015
Looking to buy the Hankook Optimo 4S? Click here to search for the best price for the Hankook Optimo 4S or any other tyre.

Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 TCDI (235-45-17-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
This review is for the 97 V XL version of the tyre.

Positive Points

* Excellent aquaplane resistance & wet grip performance
* Good snow performance, but only based on approx. 5 days snow driving
* Increased confidence in low temp conditions
* Good levels of comfort
* Great stability at speed and under braking. No tramlining etc
* Retain pressures well
* Good general grip, but see below...

Negative Points

* Dry road performance is as expected, compromised. However, this is by a greater margin than the reviews suggested. I would take the 90% suggested performance of a summer tyre and reduce it to 70%. The tyres *do* grip, but feel soft underfoot and don't inspire confidence. My Mondeo feels like my old Citroen C5 now!
* Wear doesn't seem great, but that may just be me. 10,000 miles in, and I can only see another 5,000 on the fronts. Rears are fine, and I can see them lasting another 10-15,000

Summary -

You really can tell this is a premium tyre, when comparing how it performs to even a good mid range tyre. I'm sure they played a big part in me being able to avoid the idiot who pulled out right in front of me the other week. The tyre gives a good feeling of safety & stability in all weather conditions. Driving on water logged motorways, for instance, is handled without drama.

My only concern is the soft feeling of the tyre in the dry, and the impact this has on cornering feel & confidence. In all other respects, this is a truly excellent tyre, and if spirited driving is not your thing, I would whole heartedly recommend this tyre. I know a Mondeo is hardly a sports car, it did have sharper handling on well worn Michelins!

Given that we don't have many snow days, I probably won't buy these again and get a premium summer tyre instead. But I could be tempted back if that doesn't go well...
tyre reviewed on May 14, 2015
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Avensis (205-50-16-V)
Just about to replace a set of these after 40,000 miles spanning 3 winters.

Remaining tread is around 2.0 mm so still good for another couple of thousand miles, but with winter just around the corner it makes sense to replace now whilst they're still available.

A little noisy when new, but the noise reduced after a while.

They were great in the winter, ploughing through snow with ease. Even left behind a 4x4 which couldn't gain transaction in fresh, deep snow.

Absolutely no complaints whatsoever, excellent regardless of the weather conditions and with excellent lifetime.
tyre reviewed on September 10, 2014
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Captur (225-50-17-V)
after years off Expensive Michelin Primacy 3 with start 6.5 mm? this is a excellent Tire, and the complete fam switched over on all seasons from Hankook.
tyre reviewed on September 2, 2014
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Chevrolet Uplander Van (225-60-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 2,400 easy going miles
I purchased these tires in October 2013. While I've only put 4200 Kms on them and mostly in snow (I am in Montreal,
Canada), I've been extremely pleased with them. As winter tires are mandatory here, I didn't want to go through the hassle of purchasing both all season and winters. The Optimo 4S is the only certified all weather tire here so I thought I'd give them a shot. So far so good. They handle extremely well in all weather conditions including deep snow and ice.
tyre reviewed on April 20, 2014
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso (215-55-16-H)
Driving on a combination of roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Could this be the only tyre we should buy? I think so! After driving on a wide range of tyres over the years I can say with confidence the Hankook Optimo 4S is the best tyre I have ever had.
Still need to try it in the snow and if it performs as well as it does in the heavy rain we've had I will be very happy.
It is quiet - comfortable and stable It has changed the feel of my car dramatically I no longer want to sell my car...
If we get some snow I will update this review but for now put this tyre on your wish list you won't be disappointed.
tyre reviewed on February 19, 2014
Given 76% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi (195-65-15-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 15,000 average miles
Bought these to replace the OE Michelin Energy Savers. The Hankooks use the same fuel, ride fine and are no noisier. No braking or handling issues in the dry or wet (or very wet). But on snow and ice they are just as good as Winter tyres I had on the previous car. Rears have hardly worn at all, the fronts by 2 mm after a lot of summer motorway miles. And they were a very reasonable price, certainly alot cheaper then the Michelins. I can't see a down side to these. So much so I now have these on our other car too.
tyre reviewed on November 20, 2013
Given 99% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Toledo (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 30 average miles
I've just brought a pair of GoodYears and the're FANTASTIC:

- low noise
- excellent grip
- outstanding quality
- great confort

Do I have to say more???
tyre reviewed on September 30, 2013
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Toledo (225-45-17-)
They came with my Seat Toledo car.
They were ok (mixed seasons), BUT I've decided ti take a step further and I've just brought a pair of GoodYears for summer.
They weared and at the end the cars was a little bit noisy.
tyre reviewed on September 26, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: