Hankook Optimo 4S

Progressiveness 76%
Hankook Optimo 4S

The Hankook Optimo 4S is a High Performance All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 298,842 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Hankook Optimo 4S
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Hankook Optimo 4S. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Hankook Optimo 4S Reviews

Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn xsara picasso (185/65 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 11,000 average miles
Great tyres, selected because I drive all year round and must get to work, even in winter. I also drive to the Alps in both summer and winter. No problems at all with handling, comfort or noise, good in dry and very good in standing water and wet. As for Snow- excellent in deep snow, ice, as in ski lift car parks. Never needed , or felt the need for chains. Max depth of snow 20cm . And this is with tyres with 11000 miles on them. - Also great value.
1 | - tyre reviewed on January 24, 2016

Latest Hankook Optimo 4S Reviews

1 | - tyre reviewed on January 24, 2016
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 (195/65 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
No comments left
0 | - tyre reviewed on October 6, 2015
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a BMW (225/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 28,000 easy going miles
After years of company cars I bought a mint '02 E39 520 SE and ran it as my full time car, including a raft of motorway and urban miles.

I needed to be able to get around during winter so I thought about getting some winter tyres to swap to, but our summers and winters in the UK midlands are so variable I'd never know when to make the swap. After researching I decided to give these Hankook optima 4S tyres a go.

Compared to the P6 cinturatos they replaced I was immediately taken with the improved wet performance, but also a bit of extra noise. I fitted them in Autumn, so I really only noticed the benefits when the first frosts arrived. The Hankooks were unaffected by even heavy frosts and dustings of snow, with grip being workable in general use. The extra confidence these tyres gave in icy conditions was excellent compared to the P6s.

The tyres did not magically turn my car into a Land Rover, but they certainly made the car much safer in poor conditions, while not compromising normal dry, warm driving too much. They never felt like "bad tyres" in the summer.

They had done 28k miles when my car was written off by a clumsy lotty driver. They still had more than 2.5 mm on them.

Recommended for drivers who want to keep moving all winter without the dry compromise of winter tyres.

I just bought some for my new e39 with 17 inch wheels on them.

0 | - tyre reviewed on June 28, 2015
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Spacestar (185/65 R14 T) on a combination of roads for 34,000 easy going miles
I constantly keep all-season tires on the back axle - so I drove these Optimo's on the back axle through summers and winters. That saves our budget, having total of 6 tires instead of 8. That also means I can't rightfully score progressiveness or road feedback, which are more applicable on the front... It doesn't give me unwanted skids on the back side, since the car is short and the cornering style is calm.
Other than developing an unsolvable problem with rear right tire which deflates about 1 bar/week, I am completely satisfied with them. The problem was tackled 3-4 times by different tire fitting shops (servicemen), but with little change. Run for 55000 km's in all conditions - from -20 deg.C to +40 deg.C (yes, that is the weather amplitude in Serbia). Had to give lower wearing score because of the problem. Plan to replace them next week with my old set of winter Hankooks (which really fine), to wear them for few mm more - this should be the last season for them, too.
Very good tire, despite my problem with one of the two.
0 | - tyre reviewed on June 12, 2015
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 TCDI (235/45 R17 V) on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
This review is for the 97 V XL version of the tyre.

Positive Points

* Excellent aquaplane resistance & wet grip performance
* Good snow performance, but only based on approx. 5 days snow driving
* Increased confidence in low temp conditions
* Good levels of comfort
* Great stability at speed and under braking. No tramlining etc
* Retain pressures well
* Good general grip, but see below...

Negative Points

* Dry road performance is as expected, compromised. However, this is by a greater margin than the reviews suggested. I would take the 90% suggested performance of a summer tyre and reduce it to 70%. The tyres *do* grip, but feel soft underfoot and don't inspire confidence. My Mondeo feels like my old Citroen C5 now!
* Wear doesn't seem great, but that may just be me. 10,000 miles in, and I can only see another 5,000 on the fronts. Rears are fine, and I can see them lasting another 10-15,000

Summary -

You really can tell this is a premium tyre, when comparing how it performs to even a good mid range tyre. I'm sure they played a big part in me being able to avoid the idiot who pulled out right in front of me the other week. The tyre gives a good feeling of safety & stability in all weather conditions. Driving on water logged motorways, for instance, is handled without drama.

My only concern is the soft feeling of the tyre in the dry, and the impact this has on cornering feel & confidence. In all other respects, this is a truly excellent tyre, and if spirited driving is not your thing, I would whole heartedly recommend this tyre. I know a Mondeo is hardly a sports car, it did have sharper handling on well worn Michelins!

Given that we don't have many snow days, I probably won't buy these again and get a premium summer tyre instead. But I could be tempted back if that doesn't go well...
0 | - tyre reviewed on May 14, 2015