This review is for the 97 V XL version of the tyre.
* Excellent aquaplane resistance & wet grip performance
* Good snow performance, but only based on approx. 5 days snow driving
* Increased confidence in low temp conditions
* Good levels of comfort
* Great stability at speed and under braking. No tramlining etc
* Retain pressures well
* Good general grip, but see below...
* Dry road performance is as expected, compromised. However, this is by a greater margin than the reviews suggested. I would take the 90% suggested performance of a summer tyre and reduce it to 70%. The tyres *do* grip, but feel soft underfoot and don't inspire confidence. My Mondeo feels like my old Citroen C5 now!
* Wear doesn't seem great, but that may just be me. 10,000 miles in, and I can only see another 5,000 on the fronts. Rears are fine, and I can see them lasting another 10-15,000
You really can tell this is a premium tyre, when comparing how it performs to even a good mid range tyre. I'm sure they played a big part in me being able to avoid the idiot who pulled out right in front of me the other week. The tyre gives a good feeling of safety & stability in all weather conditions. Driving on water logged motorways, for instance, is handled without drama.
My only concern is the soft feeling of the tyre in the dry, and the impact this has on cornering feel & confidence. In all other respects, this is a truly excellent tyre, and if spirited driving is not your thing, I would whole heartedly recommend this tyre. I know a Mondeo is hardly a sports car, it did have sharper handling on well worn Michelins!
Given that we don't have many snow days, I probably won't buy these again and get a premium summer tyre instead. But I could be tempted back if that doesn't go well...