Kumho Ecsta PS71

The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 9 tyre reviews averaging 71% over 24,273 miles driven.

2018 Ace 235/45 R18 Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 11 tyres

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good wet braking.
  • Negative - Poor balance during emergency maneuvers.

2018 Auto Bild 20 inch UHP Tyre Test - 7th of 8 tyres

• Positive - Good aquaplaning result, short dry braking, cheap to buy.
  • Negative - Poor wet handling with slow steering and long wet braking distances.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS71
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS71. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Kumho Ecsta PS71 Review

Given 83% while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
same kumho problem... balancing & egg shape. 245/45/18 100Y XL
I've always used kumho because the price well reflects in proformance if only they didn't need constant rebalencing.
I've had 4 duff pairs, ku31 x 2 pair, ku 39 x 2 pair that had to come off in the end they were so bad.
No amount of balencing can sort an egg shape tyre.
These new ps71 are very soft, squishy, feel like running on 20psi with 30g wheel wobble even after twice rebalencing them & 1 of them is egg shape.
I am worn out with trying to get them right & think after years of kumho on various different cars I'm giving up on them.
Changing to Dunlop.
I always feel bad going back to the shop to moan they must think it's me lol but kumho have let themselves down & I will say so.
PS71 is more expensive, lower spec & lower quality, not for me, I like a tyre to be not thought about coz it's getting on with it's job instead of feeling there's a 60mph side wind blowing me around & the steering wheel hammering out of ny hands not to mention the amount spent on rebalencing & hanging around tyre shop waiting for my turn.
130 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS71 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Ecsta PS71.

Given 48% while driving a BMW 520d Tourer (245/40 R18) on for 0 miles
Just avoid these! Impossible to get in balance. Tyres are not "round". Didn't even know that it would be possible for tyres that are not even the cheapest on the market and has had decent reviews in test. I feel really fooled and am really disapppointed. Save your money and buy something better!
8 - tyre reviewed on July 1, 2018
Given 70% while driving a Toyota Prius (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 17 average miles
after a year and a half of a love-hate relationship with these tires it was time to end it.

I have to admit - the grip was always phenomenal. sometimes on the wet even better than on dry. breaking really strong, you just new the car would stop really quick if needed. the steering response was great, handling confident, the greatly understeered Prius became a joy to ride even through the curvy country rooads. so, on that part, it is a genuine, pure 10. A+. best of what I drove, ever. easily.

but - there's always a but - at the cost of the comfort. I did cca. 27.000 km with these tires. and had to balance, rebalance and refit and whatnot, 5 different times! 5! TIMES! usually I did it only when switching from winter to summer tires, but here, I had to do it basically after every 5000 km. yes, I did rotate the wheels - front to back, back to front, last time we even took the tires of and switched the alloy rims, just to make sure the rims are not problematic. nothing. we even did inspection of the suspension, as there were also some strange noises coming from underneath the car. and vibrations were present still.

the party would mainly start on the highways, with speeds above 110km/h. small, but annoying vibrations. at 130 vibrations would go away in straight line but would appear during faster long highway turns. a strange noise would appear, somewhere from the front part of the car - first I thought it was my wheel bearing, but since there was no noise during country road and city driving, I assumed it was not the bearing. we even did a check on all four, but the bearings were fine. then we turned the wheels front to back, and the noise would start to come from the back of the car so - tires.

also, these tires are quite a bit "thirsty". they need cca. 0.2 to 0.5 l/100 km more than Michelins I had prior to them and Goodyears I have now. Actually, I can feel less rolling resistance when I am cruising around the city.

so, after a year and a half of love-hate relationship, it was enough. with some 5 mm of thread still left, so plenty of live and grip in them still, I threw them off the car and fitted GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance. completely different car. runs smoothly, much more comfortable and much more quiet in the city and finally with no vibrations on the highway.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 25, 2018
Given 70% while driving a Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Soport (225/45 R19) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
I got these to replace the nexen tyres on my mazda 6. Tyres are ok good grip in the wet etc. just to much road noise for me I’ll be going back to nexen su1 tyres asap
10 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2018
Given 62% while driving a Toyota Auris (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,400 average miles
Having used Kumho winter tyres with good experience, I confidently changed to PS71.
Initial reaction was not as noisy as the old Dunlops, but there is a distinct feeling that the tyres are soft which prompted me to immediately think the fitting station had got it wrong; but the pressures were spot on.
By 700 km from the south coast, via Calais down to Strasbourg the Hybrid "Economy Meter" had climbed from 4.8 lt per 100km to 5.5lt per 100km.
I have now done 1400km and the Economy Meter has stayed at 5.5lt.
Very disapointed, but next month I have to put on the winter tyres. (by law)
My choice but sorry Kumho !
0 - tyre reviewed on September 29, 2017
Given 87% while driving a Toyota Prius (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,500 average miles
I did some 17.000 km on these tires. The grip is still on the same level, no matter the road, dry or wet. Slowly showing some signs of ware, but still pretty much all of the profile available still - the "checkered" flag marking disappeared on fronts, still some visible on the rears.
Had some problems with vibrations, but after rebalancing these tires are really comfortable. They are a bit louder than when they were new, especially during city braking.
They are not as "eco" as the Michelin Primacy HP I had before, maybe about 0,3-0,5 l/100 km of fuel consumption more, but on the other hand the car really drives nice and also give more information about what is going on under the tires.
Definitely the Kumho Ecsta PS71 are on par with the premium tires (at least comparing to Michelins which were fitted prior), but for a fraction of the price.
19 - tyre reviewed on August 29, 2017