Kumho Solus KH17

Show all: Kumho tyres, Passenger Car Summer Touring tyres
The Kumho Solus KH17 is a Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 38 tyre reviews averaging 70% over 568,247 miles driven.

Kumho Solus KH17

Kumho Solus KH17 Reviews

Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a Daewoo Matiz (155-65-13-T)
Driving on a combination of roads for 15,000 easy going miles
Very quiet tyre, much quieter than Avon ZT5 and quieter than Barum Brilliantis. You pay for that with very high wear though. Grip is better than Barum Brilliantis but not as good as Avon ZT5.
tyre reviewed on August 8, 2015
Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a Hyundai I10 (165-60-14-H)
Driving on mostly country roads for 4,800 spirited miles
Fitted as standard to my new Hyundai i10. By far the worst tyres I have ever had the misfortune to own.

I had done 4800 miles on them before I bought four winter tyres. I noticed that these Kumho's KH17s on the front wheels had gone bald across 105mm of the tyre width (excluding the three deep grooves running around the tyre). They are both evenly worn so this is not a tracking issue. Even the edges of the tyres have lost about 50% of their tread. The centre tread is actually made to be very shallow, probably not much more than 1-2 mm deep when brand new. What kind of engineer designed that???

I do drive in a "very spirited" manner and throw the car into bends and use the FULL rev range. I've always thought that the controlled 4 wheel drifting was characteristic of the car itself and it's relatively narrow tyres. Now I wonder what it will be like when I buy 4 brand new decent tyres. My advice is buy the car and DUMP the KH17 tyres.

The rear tyres are fine but I do question again wonder why the centre tread is barely 1mm deep. The tyre wear indicators on BOTH the front and rear show loads of tread left, I'm sure they (the fronts) would do at least 15K before they were illegal and the rears probably 30k plus.

The manufacturer's website kumho-eu-tyre-label.eu/ reveals the EU label. The label for 165/60 R14 75H is actually E E 69dB. Don't be fooled by the same size tyre with a T speed rating which is E B 69dB. That second "E" means the wet grip is the equivalent to 3 out of 7, which speaks for itself really.
tyre reviewed on May 29, 2015
Looking to buy the Kumho Solus KH17? Click here to search for the best price for the Kumho Solus KH17 or any other tyre.
Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Overland (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 10,000 average miles
Rubber to soft. Useless offroad. I had to change them continuously so finally I had change the brand.
tyre reviewed on March 29, 2015
Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk4 1.9 GTTDi (195-65-15-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
These Tyres for there size and price are excellent. They are grippy enough for bombing about on Country Lanes In a clapped out car. These tend to slide but never fully let go so it always a controlled slide which is much better than gripping then fully letting go. They are good in the wet and dry and very predictable. I can always rely on them when going for a hoon.
tyre reviewed on January 29, 2015
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Honda CR V III (215-65-16-H)
Driving on mostly town for 17,000 average miles
Have used these on a Honda Crv, they are quite soft rubber and grip well in dry and wet, also a very quite tyre very little road noise. Only criticism that I have is that they wear quick, worn at 17000
tyre reviewed on November 9, 2014
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v (185-60-15-H)
Driving on mostly motorways for 30,000 easy going miles
not sure how to make the rating for these : (Dry Grip, Wet Grip, Raod feedback, Progressiveness, Wear, Comfort, Buy again), because i have not got others to copare it with - this is my first one.

basically, i have just done the full service and from the vehicle health check, i have still 6mm. however, i have already drove 30,000 miles (yes, 30k. i work everywhere in England regios, travelling 600-800 miles per week, sometimes more)

so, 6mm left after 30000 miles, this should be good?
i dont know.

my car: Valkswagen polo 1.4
i don't normally speed, and went above 80mpg once (from manchester to leeds)

sometimes i do fel a bit of noise when driving on motorway, but again i can't give review as i haven't got otehr to compare.
tyre reviewed on October 6, 2014
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan Sentra (195-60-15-)
Works fine for me. I just replaced my two front tyres this year.

I needed to change my my front tyres two years ago and decided to get kh17. I was impressed by its performance that I decided to replace the 2 remaining Goodyear tyres I have ( they are due to be replaced anyway ) with them as well. Now I have all four wheels running on kh17 tyres and I have to say I'm impressed. The grip is very good. It's quiet and smooth and gives a comfortable ride. The only issue I have is the side wall that I find soft as compared to my previous tyre. No problem when the car is not full or the trunk is not loaded with stuff, but when it is the rear tyre look flat even if inflated in the recommended psi.

Overall this is a good tyre for me.
tyre reviewed on September 25, 2014
Given 36% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Panda (155-80-13-T)
Driving on mostly country roads for 3,000 easy going miles
Quite possibly the worst tyre I have ever driven on, and certainly the worst fitment we have ever had on our Fiat Panda (155/80/13). These replaced a set of Uniroyal Rain tyres, which proved to be very predicatable in the dry, and dependable in the wet. These Kumhos, now with 2.5k miles on them, are extremely poor in comparison to both the Uniroyals, Continental and Pirelli tyres I've fitted previously and are even worse than the budget ones the Fiat dealer fitted when we bought the car originally. The tread blocks are far too soft, as are the side walls. At town speeds its like driving on jelly, you can feel the tyres moving around rather than just gripping. On major A roads and motorways they are OK, with lowish road noise, but as soon as you need to move the steering there is just no precision in either feedback or lateral grip. even my partner, who knows pretty much zero about tyre technology, immediately noticed the poor characteristics. I've tried alternign tyre pressures (within sensible limits) and it makes little difference since the tread blocks have insufficient stiffness. I'm seriously considering taking all four off and replacing with Uniroyals again, I just dont' trust the tyres - goodness knows what would happen in an emergency avoidance situation. These are the only Kumho tyres I've bought, and will most definitely be the last. Do yourself a favour, pay £3-5 more and get a Uniroyal or another £10-12 and get a premium tyre.
tyre reviewed on September 15, 2014
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 8v (175-60-13-)
I was looking for some replacement tyres, with a smaller sidewall for improved responsiveness and found these within my budget.

At first I was quite unimpressed with the lack of grip, although that could have been toe out related, they felt very hard and solid, after putting a few miles through them, and having the alignment sorted they really came into there own, especially compared to other tyres.

Wet grip was pretty average, and when loaded up you could accurately predict the limit, Dry grip was very good, almost surprising infact, you could really load up the tyre, feel the flex in the steering wheel and just hear it roar slightly in the corners, approaching a chirp as it got to the limit or if you carried too much speed. SO it goes hand in hand that the feedback and progressiveness of these tyres was great, there wasnt a sharp cut off it warned you before hand.

There are a couple of drawbacks, all the luxury of grip and feedback does come at the quick wear rate, I went through a set on the front a lot quicker than I would have liked, at the price they were though, not big money to replace. Road noise wasnt that bad, relatively speaking, but my cabin isnt the best for sound proofing, comfort wise, the sidewalls do flex quite well under load, but you can tell theres stiffness there when tootling over speedbumps etc.

I would reccomend these to anyone looking for a good tyre on a budget.
tyre reviewed on September 4, 2014
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan Micra (155-70-13-)
Driving on mostly town for 5,000 easy going miles
Great tyre overall, but after year and a half there was small cracks all over the tyres. Will not buy again for that reason.
tyre reviewed on August 12, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Speed Rating: