Landsail LS388 AS

The Landsail LS388 AS is a Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 67% over 154,662 miles driven.

2018 AutoBild Summer Tyre Overview - 33rd of 47 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Landsail LS388 AS
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Landsail LS388 AS. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Landsail LS388 AS Review

Given 94% while driving a Peugeot 405 (175/70 R14 T) on a combination of roads for 11,000 average miles
Got a pair of these on the front of my old workhorse Pug around June last year. The car's used mainly for business, carrying stock and tools, and regularly has it's load carrying abilities pushed to the limit.

Since then it's covered 11k miles of local (country roads), some town work, and 3 or 4 long distance motorway trips, including a couple fully loaded with camping gear and with a trailer attached.

Frankly, the tyres were chosen because they were cheap. I didn't expect much from them but needed a couple as the old ones were getting low. I've always taken the view that ditch-finders don't find ditches unless you go looking for them, but these certainly aren't ditch-finders despite only costing about £40 each fully fitted and balanced!

Within a few miles of having them fitted I noticed that they were appreciably quieter than the old Goodyears and seemed at least as responsive. I tend not to intentionally push the grip limits on public roads but did put these "through their paces" just to get an idea of how they'd react.

Grip is plentiful for cornering and braking - they happily gave just over 90% straight-line-dry brake efficiency (measured by Tapley) before complaining and cope well with damp roads and standing water (common around these parts!). Pushed to the limit they give a nice gentle warning back through the wheel, followed by a bit of a squeal, and will regain grip easily unless you just keep pushing.

Admittedly, some of their ability with standing water will be down to the very narrow width by today's standards but that's the size I needed!

Haven't had much of a chance to try out their cold / snow / ice performance but, on the 2 or 3 icy days we've had since, I've had no problem with traction or control even on re-frozen snow "the morning after" an unexpected couple of inches.

Comfort is good, undoubtedly helped by the high (again, by today's standards) profile and noise, as mentioned earlier, has remained pleasantly low - a definite benefit when your car's not as soundproof as most are today!

The one slight downside is that they have a slightly soft compound so wear rates aren't great. That soft compound probably explains a lot of their positive characteristics but, in 11k miles, they've used up about 4mm of tread so will probably end up lasting around 18k miles total. That said, that's on the front, driven, wheels of a fairly heavy diesel that's been used to carry considerable loads around twisty local roads and on motorway at multi-lepton speeds.

As to the "would I buy again" questions - I've just replaced the rears with a pair of the same.
61 - tyre reviewed on February 4, 2015

Latest Landsail LS388 AS Reviews

Have you driven on the Landsail LS388 AS tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the LS388 AS.

Given 69% while driving a SEAT cordoba 1.4 TDI stylence (195/55 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 35,000 spirited miles
Great tyre for price.
7 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium X (235/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 12,000 average miles
Purchased these after a bit of reading up and to replace brand new Infinity tyres that had been fitted by the dealer prior to sale. Needless to say the Inifinity's were absolutely dire, with zero feedback the car felt like it was ice all of the time. You just didn't feel 100% in control of the car in any weather.
One went these Landsails.
Now, bearing in mind these are still very "cheap tyres" but the difference was to be honest like chalk and cheese in comparison to Infinity.
These are quiet, comfortable, with what I believe is the most important factor....good feedback.....
I am sure there are better big brand tyres available with regards to scientific on the limit testing, but for as long as you don't drive like "a loon" these really are a good reliable choice. They do their job commendably.
I am no skinflint by a long shot but for everyday use I would not warrant anything else.
If you are 'The Stig', yes by all means get the BBC to pay for more expensive rubber to thrash around your track.
If you are like me with a daily drive that is done mostly within the confines of normal driving, these are shockingly good value for money, with no massively regrettable downsides noted....quiet, grippy, reliable, long lasting.
5 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2019
Given 54% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (215/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
These were present on the front of my MK3 Focus when I took ownership just over a year ago with around 7mm of tread on them, I had heard of the Landsail brand prior to this but never owned this make of tyre (A couple of people suggest they are ATS Euromaster's best budget seller?). Luckily as I took ownership of the car at the start of spring and into the hot summer of 2018 with next to no rain - the mere highlight of the tyre was evident as they performed pretty well in the dry and somewhat comfortable while on the motorway and also once warmed up.

However at the first sight of heavy rain it was a different story, traction was hindered and just about every sharp turn at speed caused the front to loose control in no time at all. Setting off from junctions in the wet, be it to turn left, right or even to travel straight ahead caused a wheel spin at just about every given opportunity & without giving it any welly.

Fast forward to the present, the midst of winter in January 2019 & 10,000 miles later - I've finally had enough of them, despite still having 4mm of tread left but I suppose the wear factor on these isn't bad. I was slightly shocked as well to see that both the tyres were starting to show very tiny cracks along the sidewalls so needless to say I wanted shot of these.

I've just replaced them with some new Falken's, a brand which I have used in the past with success and even though it's very early days yet - they are already making me feel more comfortable with driving the car in the wet. I suppose with the Landsail's at roughly £50.00 a corner in my tyre size, and along with other budget brands - there is only so much you're going to get out of them. Sadly in the 215/50/17 fitment a lot of other Focus MK3 owners out there will opt for budget's regardless due to the high price tag that follows with the more premium brands.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 27, 2019