Michelin CrossClimate Plus

The Michelin CrossClimate Plus is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

In February 2017, Michelin will launch MICHELIN CrossClimate+ which will continue to combine the best of both summer and winter tyre worlds with long-lasting performance.

We will have more information on the CrossClimate+ as we receive it!

This tyre replaced the Michelin CrossClimate

Tyre review data from 24 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 80,770 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2018 AZ Summer AND All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Overall - As the most "summer tyre like" of the all season tyres, the CrossClimate+ wins its category. It is however the most expensive tyre on test.

2017 Auto Express All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - The best balance of performance for the UK climate. Dominated in the dry and wet, and wasn't the worst all season tyre on test in the snow with more than enough performance for the UK winters
  • Negative - Average curved aquaplaning result.

New VS 4mm VS 2mm All Season Tyre Performance - 1st of 6 tyres

• Overall - Exemplary all-rounder with balanced performance and the least performance degradation throughout the treadlife. One of the highest priced tyres, but the mileage balances with the price as the best wearing tyre on test. Highly recommended.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

2017-01-17 - I am considering buying a set of Crossclimates for my Jaguar - the size is 225/60 16 102W. Discovering the tyre is about to be replaced by the Crossclimate+ is making me hesitate! Michelin introduced the original Crossclimate in a fairly narrow set of sizes - my 225/60 16 was not one of them. Is Michelin likely to do the same thing with the new Crossclimate+ - with the slightly less popular tyre sizes like mine being introduced later - in which case I should just go ahead and order the original Crossclimate, rather than wait for the Crossclimate+? Does anyone know how Michelin has improved the tyre? - Is the new tyre a better compromise (better warm dry braking and handling) or is it less fundamental tweaking?

Our full report of what has changed in the new CrossClimate+ can be found here. The sizes will roll out in stages as before, so if you need new tyres we'd suggest getting not waiting for the CrossClimate+!

2017-08-30 - I am considering buying either 4 Michelin CC Plus or Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrical 3 for my Jag XF 2.2, tyre size 245/45/R18. I live in semi rural Wales just outside Cardiff and although I probably wont be exceeding 10,000 miles a year, I will be driving around the welsh valleys on A and B roads with my new job more than I have previously when I used to catch a train more often than not. Its the million dollar question of whether to pay for winter tyres or just a good quality summer tyre and now we have the option of an all-season/ weather tyre. I don't do any high performance driving etc. We are yet to have another harsh winter since 2012 but no doubt this year will be the year. I was after some advice on the suitability of these two tyres for my car and driving situation as a good all rounders but being able to handle a cold snap should it arrive. Also whether I could realistically consider a slightly cheaper tyre that would fit the bill? Thanks There is a £30 difference in price on blackcircles.com

If you need to stay mobile when the bad weather comes, and don't want to pair the Goodyear summer tyre with a full winter tyre, the CrossClimate is your best option.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Plus Review

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 200 easy going miles
Bought set of 4 new Cross Climate XL from Halfords a week ago and only covered approximately 200 miles.

So it is still very early days BUT I have noticed a lot less road noise and much more responsive steering.

My car came with Continental tyres as OEM & has covered just over 21K miles from new - was registered March 2014.
212 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2017

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate Plus tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate Plus.

Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord Euro (145/50 R17) on mostly town for 1,500 average miles
Purchased tyre after all the good reviews but felt disappointed when driving car in winter. I previously had goodyear vector 4seasons tyres and they were the true all season tyre. Yes the mitchelin are good in dry and wet conditions but not good for winter as I found out. (Nearly wrecked my car as my car slid) I feel I've just waisted 600 pounds. Definitely will go back to goodyear vector tyres without a shadow of doubt.
12 - tyre reviewed on March 31, 2018
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (225/40 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 20,000 easy going miles
Ive done 5000 miles on them so far and I was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to have driven in snow and dry roads back to back with a week. I personally believe there is no such thing as a all season tyre and I would’ve never even thought of buying one if I was to live in my home country, however in the UK where I live now they do the job well. Had no no problem with the snow this year at all, motorway driving is a lot quieter now too. The main reason to fit them was the extra expense of having to swap summer and winter tyres twice a year. I was running Pirelli sottozerro 3 , but I hit a crater on the road the size of wales and destroyed two of them. So I thought I’d give michelin a go. In a real winter they cannot hold a candle next to the Pirelli if I have to be completely honest, but again, do we have a real winter in the uk? I don’t think so, therefore I went done this route . I’ve been to Switzerland with them and there was snow, compact snow, this is also one major factor you have to consider when you decide on a tyre , are the roads ploughed , is the snow compact or none of the above. Anyway that is a choice you have to make if the winters are severe and as I said in my opinion in the uk they are not that bad. The 3” of snow in Switzerland was dealt with sufficiently and I have no complaints. The biggest drawback in my opinion is that people may start trusting the tyres too muck and forget that they are not actually real winter tyres and probably push them too hard and end up in trouble . We often spend hours researching and comparing different parameters of cars and equipment but the truth is that it mostly depends on the driver. A good driver will never get stuck in winter on a summer tyre even if it is up on a hill with 10” inch snow, because a good driver wouldn’t go and drive in such conditions if the car has not been properly prepared for it. I think a lot of people think driving in the snow is accomplished as long as you are going forward, but in reality it is as much going forward as it is to able to stop. Back to the tyres, if you live south of Nottingham go ahead and get them, they truly are a great tyre and you can drive all year round no worries. Be real with yourself, if you think where you live there is too much snow , don’t risk it , get a good winter tyre, it is after all your life you are risking.
7 - tyre reviewed on March 30, 2018
Trying to pick the BEST tyre possible for your car? Watch this!
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI 105HP (185/60 R15 V) on mostly motorways for 12,000 average miles
Bought at 370€ at a local dealer seemed pretty expensive at first to be honest. But after 20,000km they've only gone 1mm of tread down..! So, these tyres really last like forever. Apart from that, they're really quiet and comfortable and excellent in wet conditions. However, dry grip isn't excellent in contrast to conti eco contact5 that the car used to wear. Overall, the best tyre I've ever fitted.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2018
Given 42% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat (215/60 R16) on a combination of roads for 9,500 average miles
I realize that everybody can have different opinions and experiences but I am more than perplexed about the good reviews of the CrossClimate tires.
All season tires.....? What a joke!! Definitely not for real winter conditions.
This mentioned car is not mine but I drive it regularly for long distances on very various roads and weather conditions, sometimes in the winter up in mountain areas with plenty of snow and ice.
Based on the good test results and the good reviews the owner of this VW Passat, and also with his previous VW Passat, has for a few years now used Michelin CrossClimate and now recently CrossClimate Plus.
And I wonder why, the owner of the car don't particularly like the tires and neither do I, it is, as always with all-season tires regardless of brand, a lousy compromise.
These Michelin tires are probably among the best of all-season tires and will certainly be at the top level compared to other brands of all-season tires.
But as with all all-season tires, they are basically mediocre under all circumstances, summer and especially winter, I simply do not understand the good test results and the good reviews, I find it incredible that any serious reviewer would recommend this or any other all-season brand as an alternative for real winter conditions.
On snow and ice the CrossClimate+ are way better than regular summer tires which are totally useless on snow and ice.
However, CrossClimate+ do not come close to real winter tires under any real winter condition, in my opinion a dangerous alternative and in my opinion it is very irresponsible to recommend these type of tires for real winter/snow/ice driving, regardless of brand.
Also in summer conditions they are, as usual with all season tires, not comparable to regular summer tires in any dry circumstances.
In wet and heavy rain I estimate that these Michelin's would be about average compared with regular tires, maybe even a little better than some winter tires, nothing very good or very bad with one exception, I have had a few very scary aquaplaning incidents with these Michelin's in heavy rain, it is very surprising how easy they loose grip in heavy rain and water puddles, it is at much lower speed than expected and compared to regular tires.
Handling, dry and wet braking seems to be better than most other all-season tire I have tried, but not up to the standard of regular tires especially in hot weather in the summer and certainly especially in snowy and icy winter conditions.
The comfort is acceptable, the noise level is a little higher than average, not very bad but I do not like the sound they make.
I can not really comment on the wear because this is not my own everyday car, the owner thinks however it is acceptable.
These days it is possible to find good budget tires for both winter and summer, I strongly recommend that solution instead of buying these very expensive Michelin tires or any other all-season brand, you can buy good sets of winter and summer tires for almost similar price, you will be much safer and have a better driving experience.
Because there is no verdict for snow and ice I will here give these tires 3 out of 10, two points more than regular summer tires.
Just my opinion, I never liked all-season tires and this is also true with these Michelin's.
3 - tyre reviewed on March 14, 2018
Given 88% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Captur (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 250 average miles
I fitted these tyres to my wifes Renault Captur having previously run the first gen CrossClimates on a BMW 320d. The confidence it gave to driving in winter on the BMW has now passed over to the Renault. The main reason for fitting them to the Renault was the poor winter performance of the original Primacy 3 during colder months. The car would scrabble for grip when moving off. I put this down to the petrol Renault being very light over the front wheels and hardening of the summer tyre rubber. It did not give me confidence about the car in poor weather. The Crossclimates have eliminated this problem completely. The car had limited use during the recent snowy spell but coped with a 200 mile round trip mostly on gritted roads but including snow covered side roads without a problem. I would say in an area with extreme winter weather the tyres probably wouldn't work as well as a true winter tyre but for the UK I think they are perfect and the bonus is they don't have to be swapped for summer.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 6, 2018