Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a (245/45 R19) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
In brief - these tyres have better grip than the OEM Primacy 3s that the Tesla came with and I would buy them again over the Primacy 3s for that reason. I may be tempted to try a different set for comparison purposes, but I would not buy Primacy 3s.

Wear - I've driven these about 15k miles so far (1-2mm legal wear left), and expect to get another 3-5k miles off of them. It's hard to compare to the Primacy 3s as the car/tyres were not new when I got them, so whilst they lasted about 23k in total I don't know if that's due to the previous owners driving style compared to mine, or the tyres. I do employ the full 420bhp of the electric engines, I do drive "spirited" around country road corners, and I do enjoy utilising the 4.4s 0-62 split. Given all of that, I think 18-20k miles isn't too bad.

Grip - Always hard to distinguish between the car and the tyre, but the tyres handle better now than the old Primacy's did at the same stage in their life. The Tesla tends to understeer and that's still true of course, but I can go a little bit more aggressively around a corner before that annoying tendency appears!
1 - tyre reviewed on July 12, 2018
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 530dA M Sports E39 (235/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 19,000 average miles
Had them at the front in a E39 5 series and dry handling was reasonable but they always had that slight loss of grip for a fraction and then the grip came. However this behavior ruined the driving experience.

In wet they progressively lose grip. At this range of tyres i'd expect better.

Wear they are pretty weak. The front of a E39 is heavy and the shape of the tyre isn't flat if you look at them in line with you. Since they have less rubber on the sides, combined with the heavy front, the rubber on the sided went pretty quickly even though i checked the tyre pressure every other week.

With all this said, i'll neved buy this model again. Primacy HP are much better overall and they supposedly are inferior.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 11, 2018
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Really good tyre. Dry grip great as expected, weat grip amazing. Very happy with small wear.
5 - tyre reviewed on July 2, 2018
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 100 spirited miles
Tried the Pilot Sport 4 back to back with the Michelin Primacy 4, i.e. all tires were brand new and I compared the same car on the same day with both models of tires.

In all respects I'd the Primacy 4 tires are the best tires I've tried so far and much better than the Continenal PremiumContact I had earlier.

The main problem with Pilot Sport 4 are that they feel very hard. The road feedback is good, but it's a hard and unpleasant ride compared to Primacy 4.
3 - tyre reviewed on June 27, 2018
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz C220 cdi sport (255/35 R18) on mostly motorways for 15,000 average miles
Had 255/35/18y fitted on rear and 225/40/18y on front . After 15.000 miles had 2.7 mm left on rear and 4.7 left on front.
Even if they didnt last too long I still had them replaced with the same ones recently.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2018
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Renault Sport Megane 225 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,500 spirited miles
Fitted them on a sporty Renault Megane RS 225 and I was greatly surprised. The control is clear and responsive and general grip amazing. Pure cornering grip is outstanding even at high speeds.

Overall it is a great tyre for ultimate dry grip and I believe that only semi-slicks and full slicks can offer more grip. Wet grip is also surprisingly good. Not so much on accelaration but cornering and control are still very predictable in the rain.

In my opinion, wear is surprisingly good for this class of tyres.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 25, 2018
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon Cupra ST 290 (FWD) (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
This is a mid life review, as I change these to another set of PS4 mid-life as I like to have a lot of thread. This tyre must be the best rain tyre ever, I drive a very powerful FWD car on relatively skinny 235 section and, if it isn't greasy for other reasons, it is amazing how well these put down the power. It grips in the rain like many an average tyre can't do in the dry. It is also comfortable, quiet and seems to last very well considering my driving style.
That said, I've you are a nerd driving enthusiast like me, the PS4 isn't the most dynamic sports tyre in terms of feedback or dancing on the edge of grip. In that aspect, they remind me of the PS3, a friendly benign tyre. They are very progressive, but don't give as much feedback like the Supersport. Which is the tyre I changed to for that reason, sacrificing some wet grip and comfort in the process I suppose (not tested that bit yet). A question about priorities...
13 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2018
Volkswagen (205/55 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
Great tyres!

Fitted PS 4 205/55/ZR16 94Y (XL) on my B6 Passat instead of Michelin Primacy HP 215/55/16 91V (5 year old ones after 60000+km).
Grip on both dry and wet- extraordinary. As there is no water on the road at all.
A bit noisier than Primacy HP (as i recall from last autumn, because just removed winter tyres - guess which: Michelin Alpin A4 :)
Not much driven, so wear is not rated yet!
Comparing to old Primacy HP 215/55, it's a bit less comfy (although XL), but more that 30% cheaper though!
Had in option Primacy 4, but after reading some bad reviews (on tyrereviews.co.uk) ... there can be only one- PS 4!
Have fitted Pilot Sport 3 on FIAT Bravo 2008...also great tire!
Front ones 14k km, rear 23k km as front + 14k km as rear -near to the end of life - to be replaced with set of PS4.

Would by again definitely!
8 - tyre reviewed on April 20, 2018