Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 64% while driving a Volkswagen GTI MK5 (200) (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 4,500 spirited miles
The tyres are great.
Great handling, great greep and feedback. I'm sure you could find a better alternative for dry roads, but Michelin shines in the wet as well.

However, I had the tyres for almost 2 full (summer) seasons, buying them 22 months ago.
The tyres, inexplicably ovalized over the past months, while being unused.
Now the tyres, cannot be used on the car after only (almost) 2 YEARS and about 7-8.000 km.
Very very disappointed in the quality of these michelins.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2019
Given 85% while driving a Ford Focus mk2 (225/40 R18 W) on mostly town for 600 average miles
Had these tyres for about 2 weeks now, travelled about 500 miles on them. I was torn between the Continental Sport Contact 6 and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I got a cracking deal on the PS4s so went with them. I got the car on 4 Wheel Alignment and precision balance whilst I was there, you know, just for good measure...

The PS4s have replaced a full set of continental sport contact 5 and my first impressions and feelings are that I prefer the PS4s, a lot.

In the dry the car somehow feels more grippy, the Contis were/are pretty good of course, and I am not too sure if it is just because I have new tyres but I definitely prefer the feeling of the Michelins, they feel more positive and they stop better too.

The same result applies in the wet, the PS4s just somehow feel more capable than my old Contis and I was pleased with those when I first got em, but I do not remember thinking blimey these are a bit good in the rai and occasionally would get the feeling they were struggling in heavier rain or wet roads. I have had no such feeling with the PS4s thus far.

Feedback, well, it is difficult to say as both of these brands of tyres are generally considered quite good, but all I can really say, the PS4s feel less numb, not that the Contis were poor of course, just they feel more spongy somehow to me, again this could be a new tyre thing.

Handling, great, feels better all around, not much else to say really,

Wear, cannot really comment, but my Contis wore out a bit too fast for my liking so I am hoping these offer a bit more lifespan.

Comfort wise, well, they are fairly easy to live with, mostly, depends on wheel size, tyre profile and the speed you are travelling I suppose as to just how rough of a ride you get. The Michelin Cross Climates on my other motor are noticeably comfier, but then again they have a much deeper sidewall and on a smaller rim.

Noise, they are quieter than the Contis were but louder than the Michelin Cross Climates and there is a bit of road rumble depending on the speed you are travelling at, and though they are more noticeable than some other tyres, I do not find the noise overpowering or intrusive, and I generally have the radio on anyway.

Buy again, yep, of course, it depends on what's on offer when I need new tyres, but right now I would not hesitate to recommend these tyres or purchase them again.

0 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2019
Given 97% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 225,000 spirited miles
All round decent tyre would only put Michelin's on all my cars.
4 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2019
Given 89% while driving a Skoda Superb 2.0Tdi DSG6 170hp (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 55,000 average miles
These tyres are just great. When they reached the ideal heat, they hold on to road so tight it is really hard to make your car slide, for real. For average crusing speeds like 120-130kph it is very silent, after 150kph they start to be a little bit noisy but I think its ok. It may slide and spin when the weather is really cold and road is wet, otherwise grip is really good.
I want to buy it again of course, my only concern is price.
7 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2019
Given 92% while driving a Vauxhall Astra (225/40 R18 W) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
Well pleased!! I conducted a lot of research on what tyres to buy next after being disappointed with the Bridgestone t001 tyres that come with my car and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 came out on top. I was after a tyre that was good in the wet and I could be confident would put the power down and after reading some of the reviews on here where people were saying you could floor it at low speeds and wouldn't get any wheel spin I was sold if a little sceptical.

After the first few miles of driving I could tell I'd made the right choice dry grip, handling and comfort all felt improved. Later that day it rained so I went out to see for myself how good they are on the rain. Well in a word AMAZING! They do what others have said and grip in the wet like you're driving in the dry! No matter how hard I tried I could not get the wheels to spin after repeated 2nd gear full throttle runs, I was seriously impressed. Handling in the wet too is excellent with no sign of understeer.

So in conclusion would I buy these again? Yes definitely they are superb tyres and inspire confidence in the wet. I just hope they wear well. Michelin make superb tyres!
1 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2019
Given 96% while driving a Mercedes Benz CLK 320 Convertible (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 5,000 spirited miles
Confidence inspiring tyres in all weathers perfect for british weather rain shine sleet snow these tyres never fail to impress will definitely buy again road noise acceptable comfort acceptable but the trade off is very high levels of grip and a good stopping distance so a very safe tyre which is perfect also puncture resistance is good as potholes have been bad this winter
8 - tyre reviewed on February 27, 2019
Given 89% while driving a Audi S4 (235/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Excellent tyre. Very good grip in all conditions.
5 - tyre reviewed on February 17, 2019
Given 77% while driving a Mercedes Benz E Class Estate (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 18,000 average miles
Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Great tyres but fast wearing.
Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate 2010. Road conditions: Australia. These tyres are great. Very low road noise. Fantastic low noise transfer into the cabin from Australian rough aggregate road surfaces which make up the majority of roads in this country. Fantastic feedback and handling. Great breaking ability in both the wet and dry. Biggest problem is they wear out faster than a daily change of clothes! Yes I drive a 2 tonne E Class Wagon, but all the reviews say that the tyres are good wearing. I was expecting at least 30,000 kms, not barely 20,000kms. Considering the price, I did expect more for my dollar. Hardly got double the distance of a set of Pirelli P7's and they were the worst tyre I have ever owned. Not going back to the Michelin any time soon. Think it's time for a set of Falken ZE914 again. Brilliant performance with very reasonable wear.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 10, 2019
Given 71% while driving a BMW 120d M sport (205/55 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 25,000 spirited miles
These tyres replaced Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin 002, which was discontinued and 003 wasn't available locally.

In such direct comparison I have scored the Sport 4 quite low in feedback and progressiveness because the Potenza was so much more communicative, firm and direct in feel. The steering always a had solid feel, only lightening up as the limit approached.

Sport 4 contradicts itself in that the steering became quite springy/spongy and not very direct...but the ride comfort was no better than the Potenza. Like the Sport 4 is stiff only in the vertical plane, but soft in transverse.

The Sport 4 has BAGS of grip in the dry and almost shocking grip in wet conditions. THAT is an achievement and for anyone looking for lots of safe grip will love this tyre. If you want a more engaging drive, you might be dissappointed. Obviously, a lower profile than the 55 tested might improve feedback...but the Potenzas were ace in the same size.
9 - tyre reviewed on January 23, 2019
Given 97% while driving a Nissan Juke (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Replaced Conti Sport Contact 5s on a Juke NISMO RS. The Contis were awful; spinning up the tyres all the time, not to mention an abysmal wear rate.
Got these and they totally transformed the car. Keeps the power down so much better, less torque steer or spin (much less). Also, the brakes themselves instantaneously felt so much better (same tyre pressures too). Can't express in words how much they transformed the car for the positive. 11 out of 10.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 15, 2019