Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 70% while driving a Renault Megane RS265 (235/40 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 14,000 average miles
My RS 265 (with Cup pack) came with Michelin PS2 tyres fitted. these managed to last a respectable 21k miles (including some rotating) before they really dropped off a cliff, and with around 3mm tread depth left I opted to change them out.

having previoulsy sworn by Kumho KU31 tyres, and struggled to get these, I opted for a set of Michelin PS4 instead, thinking it would retian the same road holding and feel of the car. To a point the tyres do, but athey really arent brilliant in the wet and are a great drop down from the PS2's taht came with the car originally.

at the cost I paid, and only having had 14k miles out a set, they are now at 3mm and have experienced the same dramatic fall off in grip as the PS2 had - which suggests that I really need to change them now, lots of tramlining especially in the wet, and as I live in Scotland, thats pretty much all year round.

these tyres havent been pushed too hard, most driving is on a motorway - which is generally in traffic at 30mph!!! :), with maybe 2-3k miles on country roads.

overall I am very disappointed, had they lasted another 6k miles, I probably would replace with a newer set - but I wont buy these again. wear too fast, grip drops dramatically when at around 50% tread depth left - I am off to find an alternative.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Toyota Celica VVTLi (205/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 20 spirited miles
I have just bought a set of 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres to replace the two I have had on the front driven wheels now for the last 17 months. Moving from Avon ZZ5s which I had found to be a very good all round tyre, and were still fitted to the rear of the car, these were my findings based on daily spirited drives on twisty dual carriageway and country lanes.

My first impression based on appearance alone was that these were quality tyres and a step up from the Avons. On driving, what struck me most about these tyres is their sporty feel and sharp turn in. For the first couple of days I actually had to modify my steering a fraction at times to avoid oversteer. It noticeably enhanced the cars' handling with only a fractionally harder ride. The next thing that struck me was the noise. It is not excessive by any means, but these tyres do produce a little more road noise than the ZZ5s. A minor point also, but worth mentioning is that, where a road has been recently re-surfaced, they also pick up significantly more grit. I discovered this whilst driving two different cars over the same stretch of road over the course of a week.

In terms of grip the car has always felt very sure-footed in both the dry and the wet whether braking, accelerating or cornering at speed. It should be noted however that this is not always the case on Winter roads. Where there is damp salt residue on the roads often long after a gritting episode, the tyres can lose grip quite readily. Loss of grip has been momentary however with the tyres quickly regaining their composure.

Other than that the Pilot Sport 4s have performed impeccably for almost 20,000 miles. Now, with about 1 mm to go to the wear indicators there has been a sudden tendency to tram lining and it is clear it is time to renew. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 suits the Celica down to ground and I am looking forward to the new set being fitted.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 14, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
I’ve had PS3’s before and when I changed my tires last year I decided to put the newer PS4’s on for the first time. All the things I loved about the 3’s remain. The quick response. Excellent grip and braking in both wet and dry. I simply don’t slow down for corners like I used to pre PS3 or 4s.

The confidence these tyres give you is excellent. The cabin noiise is about the same as my PS3s and in comparison to the Nexens I had fitted when I purchased my car they are night and day. So much quieter.

Wear is as you would expect. Very average. I have put 14k on my first set of PS4 on my front tyres. I’ve got approx 3mm left on them so I have switched them to the back and fitting 2 more on the front. I expect I will get 17-18k out of a set. Maybe 20k if I drive a little more smoothly.

The fuel economy is marginally better on the 4’s over the 3’s but honestly you don’t buy arguably the best summer sports tyre if you want to save fuel.

All round an excellent tyre. No hesitation in recommending them for any car.
4 - tyre reviewed on July 27, 2018
Given 79% while driving a (245/45 R19) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
In brief - these tyres have better grip than the OEM Primacy 3s that the Tesla came with and I would buy them again over the Primacy 3s for that reason. I may be tempted to try a different set for comparison purposes, but I would not buy Primacy 3s.

Wear - I've driven these about 15k miles so far (1-2mm legal wear left), and expect to get another 3-5k miles off of them. It's hard to compare to the Primacy 3s as the car/tyres were not new when I got them, so whilst they lasted about 23k in total I don't know if that's due to the previous owners driving style compared to mine, or the tyres. I do employ the full 420bhp of the electric engines, I do drive "spirited" around country road corners, and I do enjoy utilising the 4.4s 0-62 split. Given all of that, I think 18-20k miles isn't too bad.

Grip - Always hard to distinguish between the car and the tyre, but the tyres handle better now than the old Primacy's did at the same stage in their life. The Tesla tends to understeer and that's still true of course, but I can go a little bit more aggressively around a corner before that annoying tendency appears!
10 - tyre reviewed on July 12, 2018
Given 51% while driving a BMW 530dA M Sports E39 (235/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 19,000 average miles
Had them at the front in a E39 5 series and dry handling was reasonable but they always had that slight loss of grip for a fraction and then the grip came. However this behavior ruined the driving experience.

In wet they progressively lose grip. At this range of tyres i'd expect better.

Wear they are pretty weak. The front of a E39 is heavy and the shape of the tyre isn't flat if you look at them in line with you. Since they have less rubber on the sides, combined with the heavy front, the rubber on the sided went pretty quickly even though i checked the tyre pressure every other week.

With all this said, i'll neved buy this model again. Primacy HP are much better overall and they supposedly are inferior.
8 - tyre reviewed on July 11, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Really good tyre. Dry grip great as expected, weat grip amazing. Very happy with small wear.
14 - tyre reviewed on July 2, 2018
Given 70% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 100 spirited miles
Tried the Pilot Sport 4 back to back with the Michelin Primacy 4, i.e. all tires were brand new and I compared the same car on the same day with both models of tires.

In all respects I'd the Primacy 4 tires are the best tires I've tried so far and much better than the Continenal PremiumContact I had earlier.

The main problem with Pilot Sport 4 are that they feel very hard. The road feedback is good, but it's a hard and unpleasant ride compared to Primacy 4.
25 - tyre reviewed on June 27, 2018
Given 97% while driving a Mercedes Benz C220 cdi sport (255/35 R18) on mostly motorways for 15,000 average miles
Had 255/35/18y fitted on rear and 225/40/18y on front . After 15.000 miles had 2.7 mm left on rear and 4.7 left on front.
Even if they didnt last too long I still had them replaced with the same ones recently.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2018