Michelin Primacy 4

The Michelin Primacy 4 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre offers a new a reference for safety. After three years of development, this tyre provides a high level of performance on wet roads, from the first use until worn to the legal wear indicator (1.6mm). This tyre, thus responds to the need to perform at a high level when worn; a long lasting performance.

Compared to its direct competitors, the new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 lasts an average of 18,000 kilometres more; confirming the long lasting performance of the new tyres designed by Michelin. The new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre is a concrete demonstration of the Michelin Group’s strategy: consumers must be able to drive safely, throughout the life of the tyre, right down to the legal wear indicator of 1.6 mm

This tyre replaced the Michelin Primacy 3

Tyre review data from 35 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 128,730 miles driven.

2019 AMS Summer SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 11 tyres

• Positive - Short dry braking, easy to manage.
  • Negative - Poor wet grip, average aquaplaning resistance.

2019 Auto Zeitung Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the dry and wet, very low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - None mentioned.

2018 New and Worn Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 17 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Primacy 4

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Primacy 4

2017-09-27 - Can you mail the catalog of primacy 4 or all the tyres size for me?

We will be attending the Michelin Primacy 4 launch in mid October 2017, so we will have a full list of Primacy 4 sizes on the website shortly after.

2018-02-13 - When will 15'' sizes be availabe for this tire? Michelin said they would be availabe from january. Have they dropped 15''?

The plan is a phased transition in some sizes from Energy Saver+ to Primacy 4. 2018 sizes are 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 in May/Sept, more to follow in 2019.

2018-03-12 - Need your help . Can’t decide between Michelin Primacy 4 , Continental Premium 6 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT2. Car: Ford Focus 2008 1.6 Ti-VCT 115hp . 2009-2013 ContiSportContact5 (35000km) . 2013-2018 ContiSportContact5 (30000km). 225/4018 both of them

A very hard question to answer! I would be between the Michelin and Continental Premium Contact 6, but I would probably end up choosing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4!

2018-06-04 - For a 205/55/R16/91V tyre size, which is better, Michelin Primacy 4 or Continental Premium contact 5?

They are both comparable tyres. The Michelin will have better mileage, the Conti might have slightly better wet grip.

2018-09-01 - Considering both these or Pilot Sport for Golf 1.4 in 205.55 R16. Both seem excellent tyres...but not really sure how they compare to each other. I am assuming PS is more sporty, ie stiffer sidewall? Can anyone clearly characterize the differences in "qualities" of these tyres in order to aid decision-making? (over and above all the excellent reviews). Thank you!

Your assumption is correct in that the Primacy 4 should be slightly more comfortable, slightly quieter and slightly better mileage, where as the PS4 will feel slightly more sporty.

2018-09-17 - I am thinking about buying this tyre, but I don't know which version to choose between: 225/45/R17 91W/Y or the 225/45/R17 94W XL. The XL has better fuel rating and one decibel lower noise level. Would there be any drawbacks if opting for this version? The car is an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170HP.

In theory the higher load rating could give you slightly less comfort, but in practice the differences can be very hard to notice so I would suggest that would be the tyre I would look at fitting.

2018-10-15 - Following on from the question someone had relating to the XL version being better noise and efficiency ratings that xl version appears more preferable to the 91 rated version. Would the 94 xl version need a higher psi or is it OK to run at the car manufacturers recommended psi (assuming the only psi rating given is for a 91 rated tyre)?

It's always best to start running at the manufacturers recommended pressures. Sometimes XL tyres with loads like to be around 2 psi higher, but again worth checking.

2018-11-23 - What is your advice 're replacing 2 tyres? Front primacy 3 on my volvo are worn but rears have over 5mm tread left. Do you think primacy 4 would be a good fit to replace the fronts as presumably they have similar characteristics to the primacy 3s. Do you think I should put the newer tyre on the rear?

Yes, the Primacy 4 would be a good replacement for the Primacy 3, and the general advice is to put the newer / better tyre on the rear of the vehicle to avoid oversteer.

Top Michelin Primacy 4 Review

Given 65% while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 2,200 average miles
2016 BMW 320i 225/50/17
2014 VW GOLF 205/55/16
After the initial minutes of euphoria having the latest Michelin's on both of our cars I am now more doubtful about these tires.
We have only driven ca 2200 km with the BMW and ca 1800 km with the VW, not much distance but on very various roads in just a few days and enough to have a good impression, it is similar impression with both cars.
It's rather good tires on good roads, good grip in turns wet and dry, acceptable/good comfort on good roads, relatively low noise although there is an unusual, but modest, mechanical or metallic sound from these tires, it is not loud but a little unpleasant.
The steering feel and handling is not quite as precis as I got used to with the other tire-brands, not at all a huge difference but I miss that little extra sense of road-feel and response.
As soon as I left the tire dealer with the new Michelin's I noticed a little slippery unstable feeling basically at all the time at any speed and road surface, wet or dry on both cars.
This little slippery feeling has not disappeared on any of the cars.
It is difficult to explain, it must be experienced, it is as if there is a little wax or oil on these tires, it is very little and hardly noticeable, not a huge problem but it is always there and it's slightly annoying.
Even on completely straight driving on highways there is this little sliding feeling, basically at any speed, it's very little but it's there, it's like the cars somehow are floating a little bit and never lands, the cars never really feel completely solid planted on the roads like with the other previous tire-brands.
I never really drive the cars over the limits in turns but very near the limits, the grip is good with the Michelin's on good roads, it is possible to go fast in turns, but on both cars there is this for me an unusual little slippery unstable shaky or vibrating feeling near the limits, not much, but still, I never felt that with the other tire-brands near the limits and I felt that I had more control with those other brands, although the grip is good it makes me drive these Michelin's a little bit slower in turns even on good roads than with the other tire-brands.
And on bad roads I have to slow down quite a bit with the Michelin's compared to my old tires, not so much a problem with the VW but still noticeable and unwanted, the BMW however is really bouncing around on bad roads with the Michelin's, it is uncomfortable and unstable, it does not feel safe at all.
I can not explain this, if it had been a different tire dimension and bigger wheels then I could understand the bouncing but it is the same roads and the same cars with the same wheels and tire-sizes that I have driven with other tire-brands.
The Michelin's are significantly more expensive than most other brands, I can not say anything about the wear because they are brand new, they do however in my opinion not excel at anything and their behavior on bad roads are not good.
In general the Michelin's are good tires but they do not handle quite as good as my previous tires, very small differences but in favor of previous tires.
My previous tires was Continental on BMW and Dunlop Sport BlueResponse on VW, good and stable tires with no particular fault except very high wear, I would still prefer any of them over the Michelin's.

276 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018

Latest Michelin Primacy 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Primacy 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Primacy 4.

Given 79% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 230 (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 700 spirited miles
Had these installed on my 1998 SLK 230 after my Bridgestone Turanza T001's were worn. I drove those tyres from new and I must say that these Michelins feel much better. Lower noise, better comfort. It gives the car a bit more "floaty" feel, but not in a bad way. Feedback from the tyres is good and they can cope with a pretty high cornering speed, without feeling too soft or unstable, though I must say that the Bridgestones gave better feedback during high speed cornering. But that is something these tyres aren't made for. Can't say anything about the wear yet, because I only drove them for 1000 kilometers.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 27, 2019
Given 67% while driving a Skoda Octavia estate (225/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 1,500 average miles
I purchased a pair of Michelin tyres from Black circle and used one of its tyre fitting centers.
On returning home the tread on my new tyres looked the same as my old tyres on the rear which have done 25000 miles. I contacted black circle after checking with a web review the correct tread depth which was 8mm, They asked me to take the car to have the tread measured, it was 5.6mm. I contacted black circle again, they contacted Michelin and they said the tread should be 7mm +/- 0.4mm. I have spoken to Michelin independently and been told tread depth is not important any more, it how many miles per tyre you get. I have had it suggested by black circle to by 2 new tyres and they will return them to Michelin for review. Not sure who's customer service is the poorest Black circle or Michelin.
5 - tyre reviewed on February 19, 2019
Looking for new tyres? Watch this video now!
Given 96% while driving a Vauxhall Astra (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I used these to replace my Goodyear efficient grip performance on my astra in the size of 225/50 17 and I can say they outclass the Goodyear's in every way especially wear which the Goodyear's gave out at about 7000 miles of realitvley quick driving where as primacys 4 still got tons of life after same mileage, dry handling is better too, even comparable to 245/45/18s I have on my other astra (exact same model) and wet grip is only slightly out done by the wider goodyear eagle f1s. Comfort is far better as they obsorb bumps better and the sidewalls are slightly stiffer than both the Goodyear's hilariously which means less wallow in corners. Fuel consumption is slightly and I mean very slightly worse on the primacy 4s compared to the efficient grip performance Goodyear's but it's vastly out weighed by positives in every other regard.

So you want excellent grip while maintaining a good fuel econemy and wear get these hands down best tire going.

Need something wider I'd suggest pilot sport 4s.
10 - tyre reviewed on February 6, 2019