Michelin Primacy 4

The Michelin Primacy 4 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre offers a new a reference for safety. After three years of development, this tyre provides a high level of performance on wet roads, from the first use until worn to the legal wear indicator (1.6mm). This tyre, thus responds to the need to perform at a high level when worn; a long lasting performance.

Compared to its direct competitors, the new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 lasts an average of 18,000 kilometres more; confirming the long lasting performance of the new tyres designed by Michelin. The new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre is a concrete demonstration of the Michelin Group’s strategy: consumers must be able to drive safely, throughout the life of the tyre, right down to the legal wear indicator of 1.6 mm

This tyre replaced the Michelin Primacy 3

Tyre review data from 42 tyre reviews averaging 81% over 150,530 miles driven.

2019 Summer and All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 18 tyres

2019 NAF Summer Tyre Test - 5th of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent braking performance.
  • Negative - Weak lateral stability.

2019 ACE Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 9 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Primacy 4

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Primacy 4

2017-09-27 - Can you mail the catalog of primacy 4 or all the tyres size for me?

We will be attending the Michelin Primacy 4 launch in mid October 2017, so we will have a full list of Primacy 4 sizes on the website shortly after.

2018-02-13 - When will 15'' sizes be availabe for this tire? Michelin said they would be availabe from january. Have they dropped 15''?

The plan is a phased transition in some sizes from Energy Saver+ to Primacy 4. 2018 sizes are 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 in May/Sept, more to follow in 2019.

2018-03-12 - Need your help . Can’t decide between Michelin Primacy 4 , Continental Premium 6 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT2. Car: Ford Focus 2008 1.6 Ti-VCT 115hp . 2009-2013 ContiSportContact5 (35000km) . 2013-2018 ContiSportContact5 (30000km). 225/4018 both of them

A very hard question to answer! I would be between the Michelin and Continental Premium Contact 6, but I would probably end up choosing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4!

2018-06-04 - For a 205/55/R16/91V tyre size, which is better, Michelin Primacy 4 or Continental Premium contact 5?

They are both comparable tyres. The Michelin will have better mileage, the Conti might have slightly better wet grip.

2018-09-01 - Considering both these or Pilot Sport for Golf 1.4 in 205.55 R16. Both seem excellent tyres...but not really sure how they compare to each other. I am assuming PS is more sporty, ie stiffer sidewall? Can anyone clearly characterize the differences in "qualities" of these tyres in order to aid decision-making? (over and above all the excellent reviews). Thank you!

Your assumption is correct in that the Primacy 4 should be slightly more comfortable, slightly quieter and slightly better mileage, where as the PS4 will feel slightly more sporty.

2018-09-17 - I am thinking about buying this tyre, but I don't know which version to choose between: 225/45/R17 91W/Y or the 225/45/R17 94W XL. The XL has better fuel rating and one decibel lower noise level. Would there be any drawbacks if opting for this version? The car is an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170HP.

In theory the higher load rating could give you slightly less comfort, but in practice the differences can be very hard to notice so I would suggest that would be the tyre I would look at fitting.

2018-10-15 - Following on from the question someone had relating to the XL version being better noise and efficiency ratings that xl version appears more preferable to the 91 rated version. Would the 94 xl version need a higher psi or is it OK to run at the car manufacturers recommended psi (assuming the only psi rating given is for a 91 rated tyre)?

It's always best to start running at the manufacturers recommended pressures. Sometimes XL tyres with loads like to be around 2 psi higher, but again worth checking.

2018-11-23 - What is your advice 're replacing 2 tyres? Front primacy 3 on my volvo are worn but rears have over 5mm tread left. Do you think primacy 4 would be a good fit to replace the fronts as presumably they have similar characteristics to the primacy 3s. Do you think I should put the newer tyre on the rear?

Yes, the Primacy 4 would be a good replacement for the Primacy 3, and the general advice is to put the newer / better tyre on the rear of the vehicle to avoid oversteer.

Top Michelin Primacy 4 Review

Given 65% while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 2,200 average miles
2016 BMW 320i 225/50/17
2014 VW GOLF 205/55/16
After the initial minutes of euphoria having the latest Michelin's on both of our cars I am now more doubtful about these tires.
We have only driven ca 2200 km with the BMW and ca 1800 km with the VW, not much distance but on very various roads in just a few days and enough to have a good impression, it is similar impression with both cars.
It's rather good tires on good roads, good grip in turns wet and dry, acceptable/good comfort on good roads, relatively low noise although there is an unusual, but modest, mechanical or metallic sound from these tires, it is not loud but a little unpleasant.
The steering feel and handling is not quite as precis as I got used to with the other tire-brands, not at all a huge difference but I miss that little extra sense of road-feel and response.
As soon as I left the tire dealer with the new Michelin's I noticed a little slippery unstable feeling basically at all the time at any speed and road surface, wet or dry on both cars.
This little slippery feeling has not disappeared on any of the cars.
It is difficult to explain, it must be experienced, it is as if there is a little wax or oil on these tires, it is very little and hardly noticeable, not a huge problem but it is always there and it's slightly annoying.
Even on completely straight driving on highways there is this little sliding feeling, basically at any speed, it's very little but it's there, it's like the cars somehow are floating a little bit and never lands, the cars never really feel completely solid planted on the roads like with the other previous tire-brands.
I never really drive the cars over the limits in turns but very near the limits, the grip is good with the Michelin's on good roads, it is possible to go fast in turns, but on both cars there is this for me an unusual little slippery unstable shaky or vibrating feeling near the limits, not much, but still, I never felt that with the other tire-brands near the limits and I felt that I had more control with those other brands, although the grip is good it makes me drive these Michelin's a little bit slower in turns even on good roads than with the other tire-brands.
And on bad roads I have to slow down quite a bit with the Michelin's compared to my old tires, not so much a problem with the VW but still noticeable and unwanted, the BMW however is really bouncing around on bad roads with the Michelin's, it is uncomfortable and unstable, it does not feel safe at all.
I can not explain this, if it had been a different tire dimension and bigger wheels then I could understand the bouncing but it is the same roads and the same cars with the same wheels and tire-sizes that I have driven with other tire-brands.
The Michelin's are significantly more expensive than most other brands, I can not say anything about the wear because they are brand new, they do however in my opinion not excel at anything and their behavior on bad roads are not good.
In general the Michelin's are good tires but they do not handle quite as good as my previous tires, very small differences but in favor of previous tires.
My previous tires was Continental on BMW and Dunlop Sport BlueResponse on VW, good and stable tires with no particular fault except very high wear, I would still prefer any of them over the Michelin's.

334 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018

Latest Michelin Primacy 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Primacy 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Primacy 4.

Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 TDI (225/45 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Bought these for my 2014 Golf TDI only a week ago so it's early days. I noticed immediately they are much quieter than the Bridgestone Turanza's I had previously. They hold the road well in the dry and as far as comfort is concerned they are exactly what I wanted, the ride is well balance and smooth and the tyres soak up minor road defects without fuss, they are altogether a very good tyre for low noise and comfort. I have only really pushed them hard into a bend at high speed once and I didn't think they gave great feedback but they did not feel as if they would give way. I felt safe and in control but think they will improve after a few hundred miles.
My test drive was over the same route I tried the Turanza's on which included good tarmac roads, poor concrete surfaces and poor quality country lanes. The Turanza's gave a comfortable ride but couldn't cope with different road surfaces being very prone to increased noise on poor surfaces. in contrast the Michelins' didn't suffer from increased noise levels very much at all.
Generally I feel these are great all around tyres which suite my Golf very well and will cope with whatever the roads throw at them. I would certainly buy them again.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 25, 2019
Given 77% while driving a BMW 118d (225/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 5,000 average miles
good tires, good in wet and dry , less sporty(handling and road feedback) than PS4 I had previously, but better comfort(less noise)
7 - tyre reviewed on May 16, 2019
Given 64% while driving a BMW X1 2.0d Sdrive (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 300 average miles
Real touring tire. No compromises to confort. Road feeling is numb and soft in side changes. All you get is quiet silent wheel an you reach speed whithout knowing thats fast! Sonehow mire touring than primacy 3 but with better grip, quieter and good on wet. An improvement but if you want to drive your car and be sporty, stay away.
19 - tyre reviewed on April 24, 2019
Given 94% while driving a Peugeot 3008 (225/50 R17 V) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
These tyres need some worn to get the best of them.
In the first 1000 km or so, the steering doesn't seem precise like primacy 3 .
But after that the tyres are fabulous .
I had michelin HP and primacy 3 in the same car, and these beat them by large.
41 - tyre reviewed on April 19, 2019