Michelin Primacy 4

The Michelin Primacy 4 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre offers a new a reference for safety. After three years of development, this tyre provides a high level of performance on wet roads, from the first use until worn to the legal wear indicator (1.6mm). This tyre, thus responds to the need to perform at a high level when worn; a long lasting performance.

Compared to its direct competitors, the new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 lasts an average of 18,000 kilometres more; confirming the long lasting performance of the new tyres designed by Michelin. The new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre is a concrete demonstration of the Michelin Group’s strategy: consumers must be able to drive safely, throughout the life of the tyre, right down to the legal wear indicator of 1.6 mm

This tyre replaced the Michelin Primacy 3

Tyre review data from 29 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 114,530 miles driven.

2018 New and Worn Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 17 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Primacy 4

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Primacy 4

2017-09-27 - Can you mail the catalog of primacy 4 or all the tyres size for me?

We will be attending the Michelin Primacy 4 launch in mid October 2017, so we will have a full list of Primacy 4 sizes on the website shortly after.

2018-02-13 - When will 15'' sizes be availabe for this tire? Michelin said they would be availabe from january. Have they dropped 15''?

The plan is a phased transition in some sizes from Energy Saver+ to Primacy 4. 2018 sizes are 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 in May/Sept, more to follow in 2019.

2018-03-12 - Need your help . Can’t decide between Michelin Primacy 4 , Continental Premium 6 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT2. Car: Ford Focus 2008 1.6 Ti-VCT 115hp . 2009-2013 ContiSportContact5 (35000km) . 2013-2018 ContiSportContact5 (30000km). 225/4018 both of them

A very hard question to answer! I would be between the Michelin and Continental Premium Contact 6, but I would probably end up choosing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4!

2018-06-04 - For a 205/55/R16/91V tyre size, which is better, Michelin Primacy 4 or Continental Premium contact 5?

They are both comparable tyres. The Michelin will have better mileage, the Conti might have slightly better wet grip.

2018-09-01 - Considering both these or Pilot Sport for Golf 1.4 in 205.55 R16. Both seem excellent tyres...but not really sure how they compare to each other. I am assuming PS is more sporty, ie stiffer sidewall? Can anyone clearly characterize the differences in "qualities" of these tyres in order to aid decision-making? (over and above all the excellent reviews). Thank you!

Your assumption is correct in that the Primacy 4 should be slightly more comfortable, slightly quieter and slightly better mileage, where as the PS4 will feel slightly more sporty.

2018-09-17 - I am thinking about buying this tyre, but I don't know which version to choose between: 225/45/R17 91W/Y or the 225/45/R17 94W XL. The XL has better fuel rating and one decibel lower noise level. Would there be any drawbacks if opting for this version? The car is an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170HP.

In theory the higher load rating could give you slightly less comfort, but in practice the differences can be very hard to notice so I would suggest that would be the tyre I would look at fitting.

2018-10-15 - Following on from the question someone had relating to the XL version being better noise and efficiency ratings that xl version appears more preferable to the 91 rated version. Would the 94 xl version need a higher psi or is it OK to run at the car manufacturers recommended psi (assuming the only psi rating given is for a 91 rated tyre)?

It's always best to start running at the manufacturers recommended pressures. Sometimes XL tyres with loads like to be around 2 psi higher, but again worth checking.

2018-11-23 - What is your advice 're replacing 2 tyres? Front primacy 3 on my volvo are worn but rears have over 5mm tread left. Do you think primacy 4 would be a good fit to replace the fronts as presumably they have similar characteristics to the primacy 3s. Do you think I should put the newer tyre on the rear?

Yes, the Primacy 4 would be a good replacement for the Primacy 3, and the general advice is to put the newer / better tyre on the rear of the vehicle to avoid oversteer.

Top Michelin Primacy 4 Review

Given 65% while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 2,200 average miles
2016 BMW 320i 225/50/17
2014 VW GOLF 205/55/16
After the initial minutes of euphoria having the latest Michelin's on both of our cars I am now more doubtful about these tires.
We have only driven ca 2200 km with the BMW and ca 1800 km with the VW, not much distance but on very various roads in just a few days and enough to have a good impression, it is similar impression with both cars.
It's rather good tires on good roads, good grip in turns wet and dry, acceptable/good comfort on good roads, relatively low noise although there is an unusual, but modest, mechanical or metallic sound from these tires, it is not loud but a little unpleasant.
The steering feel and handling is not quite as precis as I got used to with the other tire-brands, not at all a huge difference but I miss that little extra sense of road-feel and response.
As soon as I left the tire dealer with the new Michelin's I noticed a little slippery unstable feeling basically at all the time at any speed and road surface, wet or dry on both cars.
This little slippery feeling has not disappeared on any of the cars.
It is difficult to explain, it must be experienced, it is as if there is a little wax or oil on these tires, it is very little and hardly noticeable, not a huge problem but it is always there and it's slightly annoying.
Even on completely straight driving on highways there is this little sliding feeling, basically at any speed, it's very little but it's there, it's like the cars somehow are floating a little bit and never lands, the cars never really feel completely solid planted on the roads like with the other previous tire-brands.
I never really drive the cars over the limits in turns but very near the limits, the grip is good with the Michelin's on good roads, it is possible to go fast in turns, but on both cars there is this for me an unusual little slippery unstable shaky or vibrating feeling near the limits, not much, but still, I never felt that with the other tire-brands near the limits and I felt that I had more control with those other brands, although the grip is good it makes me drive these Michelin's a little bit slower in turns even on good roads than with the other tire-brands.
And on bad roads I have to slow down quite a bit with the Michelin's compared to my old tires, not so much a problem with the VW but still noticeable and unwanted, the BMW however is really bouncing around on bad roads with the Michelin's, it is uncomfortable and unstable, it does not feel safe at all.
I can not explain this, if it had been a different tire dimension and bigger wheels then I could understand the bouncing but it is the same roads and the same cars with the same wheels and tire-sizes that I have driven with other tire-brands.
The Michelin's are significantly more expensive than most other brands, I can not say anything about the wear because they are brand new, they do however in my opinion not excel at anything and their behavior on bad roads are not good.
In general the Michelin's are good tires but they do not handle quite as good as my previous tires, very small differences but in favor of previous tires.
My previous tires was Continental on BMW and Dunlop Sport BlueResponse on VW, good and stable tires with no particular fault except very high wear, I would still prefer any of them over the Michelin's.

230 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018

Latest Michelin Primacy 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Primacy 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Primacy 4.

Given 76% while driving a Skoda Yeti (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 26,000 average miles
Only lasted 26000 miles on front. Happy with performance but not durability. Replacing fronts with Goodyear efficient grip performance, saving £50 fitted on the pair.Will see if there is a difference in durability. Rears (primacy 4 also)were changed at same time and still have at least 4mm tread
0 - tyre reviewed on January 10, 2019
Given 100% while driving a Citron 1.0 petrol (195/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
Recently replaced 3 years worn energy saver Michelin on an French MPV vehicle.
On dry steering where before felt steering light, with new tyres i have not yet found the tyres limits. Grip and road info with grip is always there. No need to try find the limits. Concluding, now i can steer in a more confident fashion and in corners.
On dry, simply superb. On these tyres you got the confidense that you can steer and brake like on dry. Always respect wet conditions and never try to find limits, though grip is always there while road feedback is excelent.
Comfort. My vehicle is a really confirtabke one (french), while these tyres added confort. I could not believe how confort despite low profile and rather cold weather, that i checked pressure to verify all ok. Pressure was fine. So it was the tyre, not the setting.
Crossing fingers, since tyres carry our lifes, but first impression wasreally good. Hope that this is the case and later on
3 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2019
SEAT Leon 5f mk3 2014 (205/55 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 30,000 average miles
Seat Leon 5f (mk3 2014).changed very noisy Dayton d320 with these Primacy 4 on 205/55/16.
Thoughts after 3.000km on various roads in Greece with more country driving.
-very quite and very very soft,in town is going over bumps like a charm.
-I’ve seen at the end of the bead small cuts from stones or bad road condition.didnt expect
-dry grip is good but wet grip is not as good as expected,it loses grip on BAD asphalt wet roads easily,but on new asphalt is really ok.
-worst,is that my steering now is a bit sluggish and off feeling with these versus the cheap precious Dayton wich has a softer sidewall.i consider better fuel economy with the Primacy but the steering was more aggressive and accurate with the previous..

Overhaul, 8/10 from me.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 3, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Toyota 86 GT (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
This is was a polarising tyre for me, at least in the beginning. After a bit of research, I decided to go with the Primacy 4 as I got a good deal, and my first choice, the Bridgestone S001, was out of stock here in SA. So I had them fitted to my GT86, and off I went. Initially, I got the same "slidey" feeling that others have mentioned, however I knew the tyres need to be run in before you get proper grip, so I soldiered on. After about 200 km, there wasn't much difference though. The comfort and road noise were very good, but the perceived grip and steering feel were off. I did notice that braking was good though. So I drove for another 250 km and was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. Its weird, the tyres do grip but the perception is that there isn't much grip. I can confirm this because I chuck my car very hard into corners, and the rear end actually breaks out less than with my previous Yokohamas. At one stage I was thinking of offloading them and taking a loss, and just buying the Bridgestones that I wanted. What I did find out eventually is that they take a bit longer to run in , and to improve the steering feel, I'm running the fronts at a slightly higher tyre pressure ( have no idea why but this improved things ). I'm now happy with the tyres , and as mentioned they deliver excellent comfort and quietness. These are perfect for the high mileage rep, not the first choice for the sporty driver as its definitely a touring tyre, but I've worked out a tyre pressure setting that works, and overall its a quality tyre that should deliver for the average driver. I may even keep them now for the duration of the lifespan.
3 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2018
Given 93% while driving a Honda 1.6 I DTEC (215/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 400 miles
Oreviously on Yokohama, Dunlop and ither japanese tyres. Swith to Michelin primacy 4. very quiet,comfort and good dry grip
2 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2018