Nokian WR A4

The Nokian WR A4 is a Ultra High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR A3

Tyre review data from 6 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 9,849 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Nokian WR A4
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Nokian WR A4

Questions and Answers for the Nokian WR A4

2016-11-19 - Hi. What is the maximum speed for wra4 nokian tyres and also is there a regular and a run flat option or just one version? thank you.

The Nokian WR A4 is available in different speed ratings and runflat options depending on the size chosen.

Top Nokian WR A4 Review

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 400 spirited miles
This year I took the plunge and bought a set of WR A4s despite the lack of online reviews. I was attracted by its assymetrical design and overall inclination towards wet&dry conditions, as Romania only has snow for about two-three weeks a year. After driving a few hundred miles with them on my Mk5 GTI, I have to say they match the character of the car very well.

I have to start by saying these didn't give me the impression of an expensive premium tyre without drawbacks, but I think they are a good choice for people who drive fast and/or have "sporty" cars.

In terms of grip there is nothing bad to say about them, I've driven on both dry and wet roads (no ice/snow yet) and they had no problems coping with some very spirited driving. I enjoyed my car both in high-speed driving on mountain roads and under heavy rain with these tires. The best thing about them is that they made the balance of the car very pleasant, as it has moved from heavy, eeek, horrible, hateful understeer to a small amount of safe FWD understeer which can be easily overcome if you know what you're doing. Back to the Nokians: as they are winter tyres, they are very soft when compared to a summer tyre (local temperatures are at about 5-10 degrees Celsius) and this results in the chassis having a lot of small movements from the tyre flex. At first you think this isn't a good thing for a sporty car, but it turned out to be a lot of fun without affecting stability or road feeback. Of course, this softness also increases the roll in corners, but it also makes the car become very progressive. I'd say in the dry and wet they are very good indeed for a winter tyre.

Except the extra tyre flex, the only drawback so far is the extra noise compared to my summer tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT). This might be or might not be related to my wheel alignment; I'm saying this because I didn't hear as much tyre drone at constant speed, as I heard a high-pitch sound when applying torque (accelerating) to the tyres at speed. This also varies with the surface you're driving on, but overall these are definitely not the least "vocal" winter tyres out there.

Overall I am very satisfied with the performances of these tires. They aren't the most silent and they are quite soft at higher temperatures. However, having good road feedback and grip, allowing some little movements of the chassis thus making the car more playful and having a good balance between understeer and oversteer, make me recommend these tyres to anyone passionate about spirited driving.

These might be one of the best choices for spirited driving in countries with changing weather, except the expensive premium options (of which there is a complete lack in this size). The WR A4s are fun and they give you confidence, the most important two things for a hot hatch like a GTI. I'm waiting for the snow to hit Romania to see how they handle the white stuff.
44 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2016

Latest Nokian WR A4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR A4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR A4.

Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mustang gt (275/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 1,999 spirited miles
Despite them being released nearly a year before my purchase, there were very few reviews for these tyres available online at the time I ordered them. I also struggled with a relatively limited range of tyres available in both 255/40/19 for my fronts and 275/40/19 for the rears, and mixed reviews for the few premium brands available in those wide, low-profile configurations. Nevertheless, I took the plunge and ordered these Nokians off the back of reviews for their other tyres and the WR A4's focus (according to their marketing blurb) on higher performance vehicles.

I've now had the tyres fitted for about 1,000 to my 5.0 litre V8 2015 Mustang, which I use as a daily driver, primarily around town but with the occasional early morning thrash through the countryside. I've been really impressed with the performance offered by these tyres. Despite the mid-level price point, they've proved adept at dealing with the slippery conditions of a coldish winter in the UK. Wet grip is excellent, with a reasonable level of feel and a very progressive breakaway at the limit. Dry grip also seems good from the few drier days there have been since I had the tyres fitted. These tyres are a world away from the OEM fit Pirelli P Zeros, which were good in the warmer months but hopeless as soon as the temperatures dipped in November - the compound becoming so hard that the tyres were constantly overwhelmed by the power and spinning at the slightest provocation.

It's too early to assess wear or form a conclusion on whether I'd buy again, and likewise I haven't yet had chance to test them over a proper covering of snow (which will, I suspect, be 'interesting' in a 415bhp RWD car regardless of how good the tyres are...), but my initial impressions of these tyres are very positive. The Nokian WR A4s have allowed me to go back to enjoying the drive at the limits rather than nannying the car around on the summer tyres. If these are on your shortlist and suit your budget, then I doubt you'll be disappointed with them.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2017
Given 85% (breakdown) while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 4,000 spirited miles
I replaced my very old WR ZG2's with this tyre because I was very happy with ZG2 model. I bought them online and barcode indicated that they are made in Finland, but country of manufacturing is Russia.
My summer tyres are Conti Sport Contact 2 and when I mounted these winter tyres it was like "WOW, my car can be quiet!" Very happy with road noise, even it is stated 72 dB
Dry handling is excellent compared to the old summer tyres: no more "power slides" of my Audi A4 quattro
After 6K kilometers I am still very satisfied:
- no vibrations
- there is snow now in Bulgaria and driving is a pleasure: no ABS while braking, no sliding in sharp turns, no problems while maneuvering on snow or ice
- I was impressed from these tyres when there was a mist and temperature was - 3 degrees Celsius. Roads were covered with "black ice" but feeling was like driving on a summer day.

Definitely a good tyre for a good price. Hope it will stay that way next winter
0 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2016
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 1,250 average miles
Today i have climbed to a ski center which was around 2500 meters above sea level. I have a rear wheel drive car. the roads are so curvy and covered with all snow and ice. i didnt even had a small problem on the roads. the tyres grip is at highest level on the snow and ice. it is really a reliable tyre on every type of roads. So in my opinion it is one of the best winter tyre you can get to your car.
4 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2016
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Hyundai i40 tourer (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Just perfect
8 - tyre reviewed on November 19, 2016
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 308 BlueHDI EAT6 (225/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 1,200 average miles
the dry road very long break distance and vibration. prices=performance mid level tyres.
16 - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2016