Nokian WR A4

The Nokian WR A4 is a Ultra High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR A3

Tyre review data from 10 tyre reviews averaging 86% over 23,349 miles driven.

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 AMS Performance 18 inch Winter Tyre Test - 5th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent grip on dry surfaces, very low rolling resistance
  • Negative - Low lateral stability and understeer on snow. Weak grip, unstable behavior and a long braking distance on wet surfaces
  • Overall - Recommended with restrictions

2017 235/55 R17 SUV Winter Tyre Test - 5th of 8 tyres

• Overall - Recommended.

2017 Sport Auto Winter Tyre Test - 7th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Very good in the dry with good grip and precise steering, short braking distances in the snow, low noise level
  • Negative - Unstable in the wet with high levels of oversteer
  • Overall - Conditionally recommended
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Nokian WR A4

Questions and Answers for the Nokian WR A4

2016-11-19 - Hi. What is the maximum speed for wra4 nokian tyres and also is there a regular and a run flat option or just one version? thank you.

The Nokian WR A4 is available in different speed ratings and runflat options depending on the size chosen.

Top Nokian WR A4 Review

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 400 spirited miles
This year I took the plunge and bought a set of WR A4s despite the lack of online reviews. I was attracted by its assymetrical design and overall inclination towards wet&dry conditions, as Romania only has snow for about two-three weeks a year. After driving a few hundred miles with them on my Mk5 GTI, I have to say they match the character of the car very well.

I have to start by saying these didn't give me the impression of an expensive premium tyre without drawbacks, but I think they are a good choice for people who drive fast and/or have "sporty" cars.

In terms of grip there is nothing bad to say about them, I've driven on both dry and wet roads (no ice/snow yet) and they had no problems coping with some very spirited driving. I enjoyed my car both in high-speed driving on mountain roads and under heavy rain with these tires. The best thing about them is that they made the balance of the car very pleasant, as it has moved from heavy, eeek, horrible, hateful understeer to a small amount of safe FWD understeer which can be easily overcome if you know what you're doing. Back to the Nokians: as they are winter tyres, they are very soft when compared to a summer tyre (local temperatures are at about 5-10 degrees Celsius) and this results in the chassis having a lot of small movements from the tyre flex. At first you think this isn't a good thing for a sporty car, but it turned out to be a lot of fun without affecting stability or road feeback. Of course, this softness also increases the roll in corners, but it also makes the car become very progressive. I'd say in the dry and wet they are very good indeed for a winter tyre.

Except the extra tyre flex, the only drawback so far is the extra noise compared to my summer tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT). This might be or might not be related to my wheel alignment; I'm saying this because I didn't hear as much tyre drone at constant speed, as I heard a high-pitch sound when applying torque (accelerating) to the tyres at speed. This also varies with the surface you're driving on, but overall these are definitely not the least "vocal" winter tyres out there.

Overall I am very satisfied with the performances of these tires. They aren't the most silent and they are quite soft at higher temperatures. However, having good road feedback and grip, allowing some little movements of the chassis thus making the car more playful and having a good balance between understeer and oversteer, make me recommend these tyres to anyone passionate about spirited driving.

These might be one of the best choices for spirited driving in countries with changing weather, except the expensive premium options (of which there is a complete lack in this size). The WR A4s are fun and they give you confidence, the most important two things for a hot hatch like a GTI. I'm waiting for the snow to hit Romania to see how they handle the white stuff.
58 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2016

Latest Nokian WR A4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR A4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR A4.

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz Vito (225/55 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Mercedes Viano rear wheel drive Vs 4X4 in the snow no contest Merc wins every time.
These tryres have allowed the rear wheel drive people carrier to drive on roads up hill when a Range Rover and a Land rover got stuck!! I just pulled passed them nd carried on.

1 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2018
Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a Ford S Max (235/45 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 3,500 average miles
Instant difference to car handling, much much better than stock Michelin tyres that where on from new! Much reduced road noise, much better grip in dry and wet conditions than other reviewers had given. I was initially a little sceptical, but really unjustified. A very competent tyre in all settings.

Done 3.5k miles in them now and its a joy to drive the car with them on. You can get very leary in them and you know where you stand and what will happen if you push too far, there are no surprises with these tyres. Done long motorway journeys in them and well as short hops between local villages. Its going to be hard to replace them with as comfortable summer tyres with the same attributes.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 28, 2018
Looking for the fastest tyres for your car? Watch this video!
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a BMW X3 (235/50 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Well, first impressions from pair new WR A4s' on my 2007 BMW X3. Brought the tyres about 3 months ago-10000 km already. Pretty quiet for a winter tyre. Stability in dry condition up to 200 km/h - car cant achieve higher top speed. Stability of course, easy to control the car and no surprises in torrential rain on highway up to 160 km/h on autopilot. I was affraid to put the pedal to the metal. Stabile in snow up to100 km/h. May be xdrive helps, i dont know. Autobild said, that there is a understeer in snow. Thats true . I think that is the only drowback. It is written that were made in Finland. After this pair is gone, i think that will buy again a new one.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 21, 2018
Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 328i (225/40 R19 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
I bought these tires for my 2013 BMW 328i (403m rims). The tires are too soft for 403m rims such that at speeds above 100 Km/h they deflect and the car starts drifting to the sides and I have to continuously steering to make the car goes straight. This also happens when I try to change lane at highways (even at speeds as low as 100 Km/h). I had the car inspected by BMW workshop who did wheel alignment and tire balance, but it didn't help since there was no problem with the wheel alignment and tire balance in the first place. I tried different tire pressures, 2.4 bars, 2.6 bars and 2.8 bars. At highest tire pressure (2.8 bars) there is less deflection problem with the tires and the car keeps going straight at 110 Km/h, but this high tire pressure makes over-streeing problem (the car slides easily at turns). Since there is no policy to return the tires back, I have to live with them for this winter. But I am going to buy a new set of rigid RFT winter tires for the next winter. I do not recommend these tires for high performance cars.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2018
Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mustang gt (275/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 1,999 spirited miles
Despite them being released nearly a year before my purchase, there were very few reviews for these tyres available online at the time I ordered them. I also struggled with a relatively limited range of tyres available in both 255/40/19 for my fronts and 275/40/19 for the rears, and mixed reviews for the few premium brands available in those wide, low-profile configurations. Nevertheless, I took the plunge and ordered these Nokians off the back of reviews for their other tyres and the WR A4's focus (according to their marketing blurb) on higher performance vehicles.

I've now had the tyres fitted for about 1,000 to my 5.0 litre V8 2015 Mustang, which I use as a daily driver, primarily around town but with the occasional early morning thrash through the countryside. I've been really impressed with the performance offered by these tyres. Despite the mid-level price point, they've proved adept at dealing with the slippery conditions of a coldish winter in the UK. Wet grip is excellent, with a reasonable level of feel and a very progressive breakaway at the limit. Dry grip also seems good from the few drier days there have been since I had the tyres fitted. These tyres are a world away from the OEM fit Pirelli P Zeros, which were good in the warmer months but hopeless as soon as the temperatures dipped in November - the compound becoming so hard that the tyres were constantly overwhelmed by the power and spinning at the slightest provocation.

It's too early to assess wear or form a conclusion on whether I'd buy again, and likewise I haven't yet had chance to test them over a proper covering of snow (which will, I suspect, be 'interesting' in a 415bhp RWD car regardless of how good the tyres are...), but my initial impressions of these tyres are very positive. The Nokian WR A4s have allowed me to go back to enjoying the drive at the limits rather than nannying the car around on the summer tyres. If these are on your shortlist and suit your budget, then I doubt you'll be disappointed with them.
10 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2017