Sunny SN3970

Progressiveness 52%
Sunny SN3970

The Sunny SN3970 is a Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 40 tyre reviews averaging 56% over 455,725 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Sunny SN3970
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Sunny SN3970. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Sunny SN3970 Reviews

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo S80 D5 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 400 average miles
Now, like you, I looked at the reviews on this site to help me decide which tyres to buy. I had found the Sunny SN3970 on ebay for buttons so I thought I'd check them out.
The first question was "who the 'kin'ell is Sunny"??? It turns out atht it is a division of South China Tyre & Rubber (SCTR). They have a modern production facility with over 5000 staff and make millions of tyres each year under the Sunny and Wanli brands - not exactly a back street sweatshop - this is a heavy-weight company. So the credibility stands up.

But what about the actual rubber??? Read the reviews and you wold think that they were only for those with a death wish!! Well I needed to replace the Nexen N6000's on my manual Volvo S80 so a nice new set of Sunny (admittedly, naff name) SN 3970 boots were fitted. On the way home I took the car for a spin arround the Cheshire back roads and motorways. The weather was, as usual, a mix of sunshine and showers. And guess what? I made it home in one piece. The car didn't skid off the road in a ball of fire and there was even some tread left after the 40 mile journey!!
The S80 is a big heavy car with loads of torque. My Car is fitted with active suspension and the ride can be set on ether Sports or Comfort settings - both gave a perfectly acceptable ride comfort and the tyres are quiet on even rough road surfaces so no bleeding eardrums to worry about.

So all in all, if you ignore the rants of muppets in scooby's, the Sunny SN3970 seem alright to me - only miles will tell how long they last - hopefully longer than the 12000 miles I got out of the N6000's
1 | - tyre reviewed on March 9, 2012
Given 32% (breakdown) while driving a Audi S3 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
bought a car with four of these on first time it rained was like driving on a skid pan avoid at all cost binned them with over seven mm on that's how bad they are
1 | - tyre reviewed on July 17, 2015
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota supra turbo (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
These were fitted new on the rear of a set of alloys i bought for my mk3 toyota supra. I was going to replace them before fitting to the car as its highly modified, with 365bhp and 420lb/ft of torque, but decided to give them a try. They performed very well with lots of grip in the dry, only a fool would try hard in the wet with 365hp i dont care what tyres were fitted. With that much torque it dosnt take much to make the rear step out of line, but i had to use quite a bit of right foot to make them break traction, i was impressed. I also maxed the car at 175mph ( private road of course ) without a hint of vibration. Noise was not a problem because the car is so loud anyway. When i priced them i couldnt believe how cheap they were, so paying three times as much for premium tyres proves to me your paying a lot for the name when budget tyres like these will perform at 80% of the premium ones. I wouldnt say all budget tyres are as good as these, but in this case the people who rubbish these dont know what there talking about, or are brand snobs. If your on a budget, Go and buy them, you wont be disappointed.
1 | - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2015

Latest Sunny SN3970 Reviews

Given 43% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 TCDI (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 7,000 easy going miles
I couldn't afford any better tyres for my Mondeo and yes I read and took with a pinch of salt the "ditchfinder" comments. However the noise levels after a little while became almost unbearable to the extent I decided I might have to go out and get a job to buy a better tyre. No. I am not on the dole but am retired. Then the other day an un-maintained bit of road with a catseye sticking 5cms above the surface ripped a hole in the outside wall of the offside front tyre. Yesterday I got another "puncture". On taking the rear wheel off it became apparent that the inner rear wall was stripped to the steel all round and in two places there was only the inner webbing visible. These are tyres one should be very careful of. On the subject of inflatable things this experience has definitely put the wind up me I can tell you!
I have discovered that tyres now have a decibel rating as well as fuel economy and braking efficiency. Just remember though that 3 decibels is the difference between virtually intolerable and fairly quiet.
0 | - tyre reviewed on August 3, 2016
Given 85% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Outback 3.0L (215/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
No comments left
1 | - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2016
Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz CLK350 Coupe (255/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Reading previous reviews, i think these tyres depend on what car you drive. I put them on my car as both my previous back tyres succumbed to bad punctures and couldnt be repaired. So i thought pay a third of the cost. I have found them to be quite reasonable, great in dry conditions and good feel, not too bad in the wet. I have only got 10,000 miles out of them and they have got progressively noiser with wear. Debating wether to get another pair or pay double for the new uniroyal rainsports that i have on the front!!!!
-1 | - tyre reviewed on May 12, 2016
1 | - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2015
Given 53% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz E270 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
I had some sunny 18" on the back wheels when I bought the car. Had to mot the car 2 months later. Mot tester found that the inner sidewalls were TORN/SHREDDED on both wheels ALL THE WAY ROUND. They still had 7mm of tread left. I feel like I've had a lucky escape. I will not recommend these tyres or buy them again.
0 | - tyre reviewed on August 18, 2015