Toyo T1R

The Toyo T1R is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Toyo T1S

This tyre has been replaced by the Toyo Proxes T1 Sport

Tyre review data from 263 tyre reviews averaging 73% over 3,429,173 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Toyo T1R
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Toyo T1R
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Toyo T1R. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Toyo T1R Review

Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru wrx turbo (205/50 R16 W) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
Quite happy with the tyre performance both in dry and wet including braking. Noisy but car is fitted with coilover suspension which contribute to part of the noise and discomfort.
168 - tyre reviewed on April 11, 2016

Latest Toyo T1R Reviews

Have you driven on the Toyo T1R tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the T1R.

Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Evo 4 (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I have used toyo t1r's for a number of years and have had a set on my Mitsubishi evo 4 (running 380 bhp) for over 3 years. Never had any grip issues in the wet or dry. laterally or in in straight line. They have enough grip to stop the wheel spinning up when you do a 5k launch!

One thing i do wonder is whether or not Toyo have changed the compound as i see some advertised with a wet braking score of "c" and some with a wet braking score of "e". i know the ones i bought were rated as "e" and TBH they are great in any condition. Maybe the newer "c" rated tyres might be better at braking in a straight line but possibly due to a compound change (or how else do they have different ratings) not so good at lateral movement

to test this out i have bought a set for my Honda CRZ 205 45 17 (not sure on wet grip rating yet.)which i will also test out and post a review. But be sure that these are great tyres i had a set fitted to my rear wheel drive r33 GTSt skyline and they coped with 500 bhp and 500 lbs of torque so i'm at a loss to see how they could be so bad on some peoples cars unless they haven't inflated them properly or have geometry issues....
1 - tyre reviewed on April 3, 2018
Given 21% (breakdown) while driving a Mazda MX5 (205/45 R16) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
By far and away the worst tyre I have ever had the misfortune of owning and using.
Dry grip is just about bordering on acceptable but I'm being really generous when I say that.
Wet grip can at best be described as optimistic and the tyres do have a tendency of flooding and loosing all grip

But it's on damp or moist roads where the true, terrifying nature of these tyres really comes alive. There is no consistency in grip at all and the tyres are prone to just let go completely. There's no sign of warning that the tyres are losing grip, they just go from making a vague effort of having grip to giving up entirely, all in the space of a split second

These tyres should be taken off the market and consigned to the dustbin by Toyo. How they ever made it to production and public release is beyond me.
7 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018
Trying to pick the BEST tyre possible for your car? Watch this!
Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (190/50 R15 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Well... i had a set of these tyres fitted on the front of my 200hp FWD car and at first was slightly unimpressed at the levels of dry grip... then one day it rained.

The oxford English dictionary does not contain a single word to describe how bad this devil spawn of a tyre performs when faced with any type of moisture. I had as much control as my 3 yr old nephews RC car on our laminate kitchen floor.

Turning the steering wheel on any kind of wet roundabout resulted in certain under steer whereby my car would just carry on in a straight line, comparable to your Xbox controller batteries running out mid corner online on forza motorsport.

I had these on for 1 month and removed them, straight line acceleration had my front wheels spinning more than an autistic kids fidget spinner throughout the whole of the 2017 craze.

Id buy them again if held at gunpoint to do so, and would highly recommend them to my ex girlfriend.
9 - tyre reviewed on February 23, 2018
Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Clio 172 (195/45 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
These are the worst tyres I've ever owned and I would never buy them again. Grip in wet or icy conditions was dangerous on my car. So much so, I had to apply opposite lock on quite a few occasions as the Toyos at the rear generated would break away immediately with no warning. I then switched the Toyos to the front axel and the car understeered dangerously instead (even breaking away at sub 20 mph on occasions). As well as the lack of grip, these tyres also had very little feel through the steering wheel and made the car slower to respond to change of direction. In the dry they gripped a lot better but screeched a lot. In the end I ended up taking these tyres to the tip despite over 6mm of tread left on them. They were replaced with Continentals which had none of the above issues.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2018