Uniroyal Rainsport

Show all: Uniroyal tyres, Passenger Car Summer Ultra High Performance tyres
The Uniroyal Rainsport is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 20 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 427,567 miles driven.

Uniroyal Rainsport

73%

79%

65%

Uniroyal Rainsport Reviews

Given 88% (breakdown) while driving a Mazda 3 Series (225-45-17-)
Swapping from Bridgestones to these tyres was like going deaf! We have had this Mazda 3 TS2 for three years on Bridgestones and I can tell you that they were deafening. These tyres make it feel and sound like a new car. I can actually hear what the passenger is saying to me now. I don't know yet about wear, but I don't care. I can now drive without the earplugs.
tyre reviewed on January 20, 2014
Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a Chrysler PT Cruiser (215-45-17-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 2,000 easy going miles
I bought some used wheels and there were two Uniroyal Rainsport 1 tyres on them. The other ones are Goodyear Excellence. So obviously I put the Uni on the front of my car.
They have a great dry grip and, as assumed with Uniroyal, fantastic wet grip. But these tyres have real soft sidewalls which will make them feel like they want to roll off the rimm. They also tend to screech while cornering.

So I put the Goodyears Excellence on front and that's much better. Equal in dry and wet grip without the downsides.

My conclusion is that the Uniroyal Rainsport tyres are nothing to write home about. I would, for sure, never spend money on them. Same with other Uniroyals cause the thing with the soft sidewalls is something that is mentioned frequently.
tyre reviewed on September 20, 2012
Looking to buy the Uniroyal Rainsport? Click here to search for the best price for the Uniroyal Rainsport or any other tyre.

Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo 147 (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
I found this tyres put on the front wheels when i bought my car. I was thinking it drove good until I bought Pirelli Pzero Neros and experienced that it could be better. No screaming tyres anymore by cornering and less tyre noise by normal driving. And the Pirellis got a better grip.
But I think its still a good tyre.
tyre reviewed on June 11, 2012
Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Mazda Mazda 6TS Estate (205-55-16-V)
Had to get a full set of tyres for my Mazda 6 estate. Looked through various review sites looking for a good grip tyre in wet conditions. Chose the Uniroyal Rain Expert. I can not criticise the tyres performance in terms of grip. Grip in both wet and dry is brilliant. Very safe tyre. I have driven 1500 miles on these since purchasing in November 2011.
I have been driving for over 35 years, in this time I have driven on many different tyres, makes, tread pattens, etc.. so I can honestly say the noise is the WORST I have ever had from a tyre. My daughters liken it to a pod racer in Star Wars, or the sound you get from the tyres of jet landing on a runway.
I did offer Uni Royal via there web site comments link, to listen to the tyre on my car and discuss why they do not put a warning about the sound these tyres make, but it seems to have fallen of deaf ears.... ! perhaps that is why the do not realise there is a noise problem !
tyre reviewed on February 18, 2012
Given 42% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK3 GTi 16v (205-50-15-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 0 spirited miles
Just awful. Went from an Avon zv3 to these and it is now like driving on pillows. Car wallows and feels unconnected to the road. I guess they are predictable and reasonably comfy and quiet but do not get them on anything you would like to go around bends in.....what a disappointment!
tyre reviewed on November 17, 2011
Given 46% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C5 (225-55-17-W)
Driving on mostly motorways for 9,000 average miles
Appalling wear on these tyres - havnt lasted 9000 miles yet !. I noticed wear at 2500 miles. Yes - they stick ot the road, wet or dry. They look good too.

I actually thought these were seconds !. Wear is the worst ever. Its back to Avon Z3's for me.
tyre reviewed on June 29, 2011
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 318is (225-45-17-)
Great tyres - I was lucky enought to be given a set for free and are way better that the bald ones I had on!
tyre reviewed on December 7, 2010
Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Focus ST170 (215-45-17-W)
This is a review of the Rainsport 1's on the front of my car, a follow on from my previous review of these on the rear.

I have to say that I have really not been overly impressed by these. You get more feel of how good or a bad a tyre is when theyre on the driven wheels and what felt like an alright if a little grip deficient tyre on the rear felt completely numb on the front.

Straight line grip in the dry was actually quite good. I didnt find wet grip to be any better or worse than any other tyre ive had, so dont get this tyre if your sole concern is better grip in the wet. As I have said, the tyres feel very numb and made the steering of my car feel overly heavy. One of the biggest things about the st170 is its sublime steering feel, but with these on it was reduced to what i can only describe as steering through sludge, no sharpness or directness. Although there was little feel, the tyres progressed into understeer gradually. The main issue I feel is that the sidewalls are incredibly soft, ompared to continential sport contact 1's, pilot sport 1's and my latest rainsport 2's. I can squash the sidewall with my hand incredibly easily with the rainsport 1's. This soft sidewall is totally apparent in any kind of at speed cornering. Going round a large roundabout with the window open, you can physical hear the point where the sidewalls of the tyre fold on themselves. At this point you still have some grip, but zero feel.

Wear has been ok, at a total of 24000 miles. Not as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport 1's which lasted 30000. Comfort is excellent, I assume as a result of the soft sidewalls and quite soft compound. Of course, in a 'sport' tyre this isnt really what your looking for.
tyre reviewed on March 20, 2010
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Vectra A (215-45-17-W)
Driving on a combination of roads for 40 spirited miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on September 2, 2009
Given 46% (breakdown) while driving a BMW E46 3 Series (255-35-18-W)
Driving on mostly motorways for 2,500 spirited miles
Always run Michlin Pilot Sports on my BMW since I bought it and always had good traction wet and dry with more than just spirited driving and very rarely saw any traction control lights even after I had a DMS remapto 270bhp/410Ibft.
Thought I would see what tyres other people rated and saw these rainsports were in the top 3 when my michlin's were rarely in the top 20 so I thought I would give them a try. Must say they were harder to get hold of but they did come in cheap @ ?150 each. I had both rears changed to rainsports and kept the Michlin's on the front as they are only 1/3rd worn. First impressions were not good as the tyres had zero grip like most new tyres but they also have very soft sidewalls so the car feels like the rear tyre's are flat even though they are pumped up to 3 bar. They got better after around 500 miles but they are still struggling to maintain grip. I find when I exit a motorway and the road bends round the DSC flashes on the instrument and I can feel the car automatically braking individual wheels to keep the car from sliding out as the rears can not live with the front grip. I wouldn't mind if I was really pressing on but this happens when driving normally. (depending on what you class as normal I suppose)!
Overall I'm dissapointed with the Unirayal's mainly in the dry but they are no better than the Michlin's in the damp so I think the reviews for these tyres have been posted by someone from Unirayal's sales team!
You do pay for what you get I suppose so I'll be back on to Michlin's asap.
tyre reviewed on April 16, 2009

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: