Avon ZX7

Avon ZX7 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 89% while driving a Volkswagen Touareg (275/45 R20 W) on mostly motorways for 5,000 spirited miles
2016 VW Touareg 3.0 tdi. OE Continentals were expensive at the time and tbh weren't great, although didn't have much to compare against and lasted 18k which sounds ok for a 2+ ton car (mainly motorway miles). These worked out around 200 less for 4. Just in for MOT, done 5k miles, 5/6/5 (in/centre/out) on fronts and 6/7/6 on rears, think i'll swap them round at service to even it out but looking good to at least match the originals. The car handles well, plenty of grip wet or dry, thick channels run round which is probably why they get a good wet rating but had no issues in dry either. Noise wise, these things are fantastic. The car was quiet enough but the road noise now is negligible - for a big heavy car with fat wheels the cabin is incredibly quiet at, ahem, motorway speeds. If I get c20k miles out of these I will be well impressed and will buy again. Oh, the rubber protects the alloys too, which the originals didn't (unfortunately, when you have to park so close to the kerb in London), so another plus. Might not be a "premium" brand but def a premium tyre.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 20, 2020
Given 51% while driving a Volvo XC90 4.4l 7p 450hp (255/50 R19 V) on mostly town for 9,000 easy going miles
I had these tyre fitted on my xc90 about 18months ago and lasted about 9000 miles very steady driving style. Very disappointed with wear rate 80% worn out within 12months.
17 - tyre reviewed on September 3, 2019
Given 98% while driving a BMW X3 3.0dA (225/60 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 300 average miles
I recently replaced the BMW-spec (but non-runflat) Pirelli P7s on my X3 with these Avons. My first impressions are that the Avons are a fair bit quieter and give slightly better feedback in the dry. I haven't had the chance to do many miles in the wet on the Avons, but they do seem to have better grip on damp roads compared to the Pirellis.
As it stands at the moment (only done 300ish miles) I find them better in all aspects than the Pirellis.
Some reviewers have said they thought the Avons don't last very long. As long as I get 15000 miles from mine, I'll be happy - I value wet grip and all-round feedback above longevity. The Avons are 80% of the cost of a set of Pirellis or Dunlops, so anything less than 20% reduction in tyre life is acceptable in terms of "bang for buck".
Based on these impressions, I would definitely buy them again. If I should happen to change my mind before they need to be replaced, I will report back.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 1, 2019
Given 33% while driving a Volkswagen TOUAREG V6 TDI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,500 average miles
I had Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on my car which have lasted 28000 miles per set - great. Switched to Avon ZX7 based on the local tyre dealers recommendation and these have only lasted 8500 miles. Absolute waste of money
20 - tyre reviewed on July 30, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Lexus RX 400h (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 30 average miles
I find this tyre very good in the dry and the wet giving good grip and predictable handling however I also find the tyre quiet noisy unless the road is smooth Tarmac, if it was quieter I would be 99% happy with it.
5 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2019
Jeep (215/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 average miles
These tyres are very good in all aspects, except wear.
I have my car since new and it came fitted with Bridgestone Turanza. The front ones lasted for 27k miles and the rear ones are still the original tyres with 40k miles :-O.
I've decided to change the front tyres to Avon and they lasted 13k miles, so half of the Bridgestone.
Is the compound so soft that wears quite fast ? Maybe.
If you don't mind having to change tyres every 13k miles, then these are an excellent choice. Buy them !
If you are after something that lasts longer maybe you should go with Bridgestone.
4 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2019
Given 76% while driving a Ford Kuga (235/50 R18) on mostly country roads for 26 average miles
Good tyres with good grip in all conditions. Low noise but disappointed in the mileage. Using these on AWD Ford Kuga and they are lasting for approx. 30,000 miles, and that is on normal roads.
8 - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Lexus Rx450h (225/45 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
These replaced awful Dunlop OE tyres in my L:exus RX450h. They7 offer superb dry weather grip, handling and feedback and surprisingly good wet weather grip with little to no understeer or loss of traction even when the going gets very wet!

They proved to be very good in the snow as well as for summer use but for serious off road use thyou're better looking at dedicated off road tyres.

Their one weakness is wear. These tyres have a very high wear rate. I only managed 6,000 miles from my last pair before they needed changing on the fronts. Expect closer to 12k Miels rear. It's the price you pay for the soft compound and superb grip levels.

However, as they are the best, safest, and offer better comfort and much lower noise than the Dunlops they replaced, I'll stick with them.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2019
Given 64% while driving a Honda CR V III (225/60 R18) on mostly motorways for 8,000 average miles
These tyres were recommended by my dealer as an alternative to the Micheline, which were the original tyres, these tyres are so noisy the road noise is excessive. The tyres behave very well apart from the road noise, which for me is distracting, so I will go back to Micheline when these have worn down,I am disappointed as they were rated at 69db.
8 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2018