Bridgestone Potenza S001

Bridgestone Potenza S001 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 37% while driving a BMW 218d Active Tourer (255/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 2,000 spirited miles
Overpriced, not even close in performance as the price of them suggests.

Wet grip is appalling. Tyre noise is horrific, fuel economy is worse from my previous set of dunlops.

Steering wheel feedback is good, and I like how they have a lip and sit proud of the edge of the alloy giving slight protection. but I dont trust them one bit and no longer trust my car because of it. Very unpredictable handling when pushed. My BMW is xdrive and now struggles for grip off the line as the dunlops didnt.

Recommended by a BMW specialist over the dunlops when I had them fitted, would never listen to BMW again, will never buy again and will never recommend to anyone. Plenty of tyres out there that are better for the money.

Worst 800 pound I ever spent.

Very disappointed Bridgestone!

0 - tyre reviewed on January 19, 2020
Given 50% while driving a Mazda mx 5 (205/45 R17) on mostly town for 3,000 spirited miles
These are oem tyres fitted to a 2019 Mazda mx5. The car has 5000km's done, and mostly driven on city roads with the odd dual carriageway blast here and there.
My initial thoughts were that they felt like a hard compound tyre. The rear wheels have lost traction when conditions were damp under mild acceleration numerous times. Traction control has kicked in a lot during wet weather. Car has skidded out sideways (a little) on many occasions, but not enough to cause serious concern, however its enough to warrant removal of tyres.
On occasions where I've had to accelerate hard from a standstill these tyres spun in wet and damp conditions,
But they managed to grip ok whilst dry.

Under normal weather conditions they perform adequately but still aren't a match for the calibre of the car they are fitted to.
Ive noticed poor road feedback at speed, high noise, and theyre not very accurate in terms of road position. The response is very slow and not confidence inspiring.
At times ive felt like my car is not a sports car. I've had landsail tyres on a Hyundai coupe that performed better than these potenzas.

While road conditions are poor in my country, there's no excuse to be fitting these tyres as oem equipment. Combining these tyres to the Irish climate, Irish roads, and finally to a tail happy rear wheel drive car is asking for trouble.

I do not recommend these tyres unless you live in a warm/moderate climate and only do motorway trips.
They are not suitable for my car or it's driving environment.
I will be changing these tyres asap.

1 - tyre reviewed on January 4, 2020
Given 73% while driving a Mazda MX5 2.0 SE (ND 2015 onwards) (205/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 12,000 miles
Regards grip these are Ok in the dry unless it's cold (15degC. If it's cooler damp wet weather, they are really slidey, and quite a hard tyre. On snow, these are absolutely useless.
After a puncture, I fitted a softer (and cheaper) set of Avon-ZZ5 tyres to the fronts and the confidence in grip was very noticible, especially in cooler damp weather.
For the UK winter months, these tyres are very slidey on the back of my 2.0 ND MX-5. I'll replace the backs with something softer and better in the wet when they wear out ... and given how hard the compound obviously is, I may be waiting some time !
3 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2019
Given 63% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Fitted as original equipment on my 17 plate Golf Mk7 GTD. I'm not a boy racer so the grip in both wet and dry is more than adequate for my purposes. I do like to accelerate though, and this is beginning to show as relatively high wear on the fronts, but probably no more than any other tyre exhibit. The big disappointment however is the road noise on anything other than the smoothest of surfaces - to be frank, it's often b****y awful and can turn what should have been a pleasant drive into an ordeal. Unless you are deaf, do not buy these tyres!
1 - tyre reviewed on November 10, 2019
(225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 3 spirited miles
This tire is not good at all. OK, grips well in dry roads and its handling is OK, but that's all. It's by far the most uncomfortable and noisy tire I ever tried on my VW Golf 7, 1.6 TDi R-Line and the handling on wet roads is at least scary. Buy something else.
5 - tyre reviewed on October 28, 2019
Given 56% while driving a SEAT 1.4 TSI (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
I'm driving 6,000 miles (18,000-26,000). I am not satisfied. He does a lot of skating and doesn't reassure the bends. Also very hard. The tire life is long and the tread depth is very good but the handling is below my expectations. I won't buy it again.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2019
Given 97% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 6,600 spirited miles
+Amazing grip, never lost traction.
+Even at hard launches the brand new clutch is slipping while the tires are launching the car.
+The tire is definitely quieter than Pirelli p zero and and offer much better wet grip.

- The only possible con of the tires is that their supreme performance is very dependent on the pressure.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 1, 2019
Given 56% while driving a Mazda MX5 2.0 SE (ND 2015 onwards) (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 1,000 spirited miles
Great in the dry, lethal in the wet. Loose traction suddenly, few scary moments!
7 - tyre reviewed on August 12, 2019
Given 68% while driving a BMW 120d M sport (225/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
Not at all a bad tyre, but the difference in dry vs. wet is surprisingly large. The grip loss in the wet is sudden. (Maybe the Runflat design is partly to blame for that.)

I think the RE720 (yes that was LONG time ago) and the 050A were much better in the wet, not much more grip, but much more progressive slip. It's all about confidence and control.

S001 will stand up to a trackday, which was part its predecessors brief too. That makes it a good choice over some other UHPs, which tend to overheat and never really recover.

Oh, if you have lots of motorway miles, the noise is quite intrusive.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 21, 2019