Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat

The Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR Run flat

Tyre review data from 19 tyre reviews averaging 67% over 176,717 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat Review

Given 67% while driving a Mercedes Benz (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,000 average miles
I had a set of 225/40R18 CONTI SPORT 5 SSR Runflats on the front of my Mercedes from new - great grip in the wet and dry but terrible mileage!

I work in the tyre industry for a living and although Conti have a great OE share within Europe (30% apparently) their replacement share is one of the lowest out of the Premium brands.
216 - tyre reviewed on August 20, 2013

Latest Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat Reviews

Have you driven on the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat >>

Given 69% while driving a BMW 320i (225/45 R18 W) on for 20,000 miles
I had these Conti Sport contact 5 fitted from New on 18 inch rims when I upgraded from thr stock 205/60 r16 tyres and rims my BMW F30 320i came out with. They had very good dry grip and even the occasional "hooligan" antics didn't produce any scary or unpredictable behavior. (even though the car had only 135kw and 270nm) They were comfortable on motor way or by road speeds. They were the SSR versions so ride comfort was never comparable to regular tyres. I had the occasional heavy rain stirm that's so common in Johannesburg South Africa. They handled standing water well and I never felt aquaplaning. Very smooth tarmac could produce a slight slip or slide that thr traction control caught out. But regaulr road surfaces never caused a slide. The only negative was wear rate. The rear tyres were half worn by 10000km. The fronts about a quarter worn. I roared at 10000km to place the worn CSC5s on thr front axle of the Beemer. They wear a lot but they area a soft sporty Tyre that's not marketed for longevity. I also wished that had a better rim protector as I accidentally scuffed or curbed the rims on thr offside more than a few times. I even experienced a 6 inch nail penetrate the rear left Tyre at about110kph and it lost pressure but I continued to drive at about 90kph for about 100km until I cold get it patched or plugged. I love the grip these SC5s gave but they wore out too fast on a moderately powerful 320i F30 BMW. They also had good water clearing ability and predictable behavior. Good steering response
0 - tyre reviewed on May 12, 2020
BMW (255/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 15,000 spirited miles
Changed the tyres on my BMW 428I M sport from Bridgestone Potenza which were a very hard & noisy tyres to Continental Sport and the improvement in the handling and road noise has been dramatic.
The Conti Sport 5 tyres are very predictable when pushed hard and offer just the right amount of road feeling through the steering. I have covered nearly 15k miles since they were fitted and I have less than 2mm of tread wear on all 4 tyres.
The only issue I have with these tyres is the aqua plaining when driving in the wet, compared to the Pirelli PZero's I had fitted on my previous vehicle which were excellent in the wet.Seriously considering Michelin Pilot's next time I change my tyres.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 17, 2019
Want the best 18" Sports tyre? Watch this!
Given 53% while driving a BMW 125D (245/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 6,000 average miles
These are very good for a runflat tyre, good dry and wet road holding and progressive break away, these just wear far far to fast I got no less than 6k miles from them and that’s Mainly my wife driving to shops and doing short runs! Will be paying bit more for the Michelin PS3 ZP next time for better wet performance and far more longevity.
6 - tyre reviewed on February 17, 2019
Given 73% while driving a BMW 320D M Sport (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 34,000 easy going miles
I've never driven a BMW or any car with runflat tyres before, so much of this is guesswork.
The Continentals grip extremely well in the dry, no doubt about that and I never came close to the limit.
They also generally grip well in the wet, although I did have one problem where the car aquaplaned on a bend that I know well and wouldn't normally have expected it to happen.
Although I drive mostly motorway speeds, I've found tyre wear to be very good. I'm looking for replacements as one front tyre is on the limit at 34000 miles. I'd guess the rears (same tyres, but 255/40) are good for another 10k.
The big downside of these is the road noise. I find them very noisy, but how they compare to other runflats, I couldn't say.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2019
Mercedes Benz (225/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 12,500 average miles
These came with the car new, and now at 20k (km), it is about 1.5mm or there about from the tread wear indicator - it's a bit of a surprise, i was expecting these the last to at least 35k. That is why i'm venturing here to research for the replacement.

Frankly i don't mind run flats at all. My previous car was a bmw 1 series, and with that car, each set of tyres last to 40k. Apart from its durability, I don't mind these tyres at all.
12 - tyre reviewed on August 19, 2018

See all 19 customer reviews of the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat (newest first) >>