Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D

Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 89% while driving a BMW 525xd (225/55 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
In short I am really impressed by these tyres and I can easily recommend them, although I don't have a direct comparison with similar winter runflat tyres. I chose between these and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, and ended up with the Dunlops. I would definitely buy them again.

On dry roads they behave really well, with good comfort and lower noise than my summer Continetals 18 inch (staggered 275 / 245). Only thing is that you feel the extra sidewall in corners at higher speeds. No complaints on wet roads and very good traction in snow (xDrive helps as well). Only on ice you start to fell their limits but overall I found this to be an excellent and versatile winter tyre. Cannot say exactly how long they will last, but after 4000 km there is minimal wear.
4 - tyre reviewed on January 12, 2019
Given 94% while driving a Jeep Cherokee Limited 2015 (225/55 R18) on a combination of roads for 16,000 average miles
Have spent two full winters living in the mountains on the Italian Austrian border, driving between ski resorts on steep twisting mountain roads and motorways that were sometimes covered in deep snow and ice, as well as days when it was heavy rain or even in springtime 30 degrees hot......and the Wintersport 4D's never let me down. On more than one occasion I got out where others also in 4x4's were having to fit snowchains. They always felt assured. They have had 15000 miles of use and still have loads of tread left. I use Michelin Primacy 3 in the summer but actually prefer the Wintersport 4D for feel and handling, they are certainly better off road too. I was recommended this tyre by someone that had used them and can only echo that recommendation. The drive to our house had a steep drive which often became sheet ice that you could not walk on, but with these tyres on the car just drove out like you were on tarmac. Will definitely buy them again.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 19, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Mazda 6 Wagon (225/55 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
I have put these tyres on, and went on a 600km trip in pouring rain, and it was like driving on dry roads - even deeper ponds at high speeds are handled great. After an hour, snow started falling and temperature went down, but no change, Dunlop performed perfectly. At the end of the trip, it was dry road and this "test" was over in beautiful manner: these tyres are great. Silent, comfortable and you can feel that it is a premium tyre. Guys at the shop commented that, from their experience, 4D lasts longer than Wintersport 5 and that they are a great choice. I think they were right, and we will se about the wear rate. But right now, I don't care - I love them!
2 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2017
Given 97% while driving a Toyota Prius III (205/50 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
It's hard to imagine a winter tire more capable than this in central European winters. Meaning rainy, cold, freeezing and snowy. Variable conditions require a tire to be good in all winter domains. This Dunlop 4D is the best winter tire I have ever used. It's even rather comfortable even against an all season or summer tyre. That is no easy task. I'm sure thee are better tyres in the rain, or ones that are better pure snow tires. But this is the best all rounder I have experienced. It's even transformed a understeering machine Prius, into dare I say something confidence inspiring.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 4, 2017
Given 63% while driving a Skoda Superb II 4x4 2.0tdi (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 15,000 easy going miles
After 15.000km bumps on tyres, terible quality. Won't buy again
10 - tyre reviewed on December 16, 2016
Given 99% while driving a Jaguar XF S (255/45 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
I've just completed my 3rd winter season on there tyres totalling approx 20,000 miles on all road types & conditions. Fantastic grip in corners, stopping power and comfort, very quiet on all read surfaces and even after 20k miles have 5mm of tread left. Gives great confidence when driving in winter conditions that I've never felt before. The only reason for not giving 100% is a very slight squirming in the dry when taking fast "S" bends, but with such a heavy car I can't complain. A fantastic tyre and would definitely recommend and buy again.
18 - tyre reviewed on March 24, 2016
Given 73% while driving a BMW X1 X Drive (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 5,000 average miles
I'm running 225/50/17 on a BMW X1 X-drive M-sport. I'll deal withe downside first. This tyre, on my car, exhibits a strange handling in high speed corners. Example would be a sweeping motorway slip road. The car feels like it's is squirming on the tread blocks, which is disconcerting, but probably not actually a problem and just a consequence of the the softer rubber and sipes etc. If you don't drive at high speed you wouldn't notice this and it may improve as the tyre wears.

In every other regard, they are an excellent tyre. Quiet and comfortable in all conditions, especially as I'm coming from run flat summers that are an inch bigger. It's actually a pleasure to put them on. They feel sure footed in cold temps, and have excellent snow traction and braking. I live up an unadopted farm track high in the Pennines, and have tested these in deep fresh snow and compressed snow and ice. They excel in these conditions giving great confidence and control.

Overall, has great winter and cold properties, but slightly strange high speed handling character.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 30, 2015
Given 97% while driving a Fiat Stilo (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Very, very good tyre. Noisy at speed 10-20 km/h.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 7, 2015
Given 86% while driving a SEAT Altea Freetrack (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 7,000 spirited miles
Not run winter tyres before, but after reading a few reviews on here thought i would try a set of these, living in north yorkshire the conditions can get wild , was very glad to have these on winter 2012-13 with the mass of snow we had and frosty days, the car felt safe, great to drive and bags of traction even in the snow and icy conditions we had that year, i live up a fairly steep hill and even with 3-5 inch of snow on the ground the car went up with ease, only got the car stuck for bit when i planted it on a compacted large snow drift, my fault for not realising but amazing where i could take the car . put them on last year but was a very warm winter, this year they are paying off again, will prob get 4-5 seasons out of them at the rate i am going.
not cheap tyres but the road noise is good, feel in all conditions is excellent and would rather pay a little more for tyres that are this good knowing that it could make the difference in getting home safe or not.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2015