Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 69 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 669,139 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 All Season VS Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good acceleration and braking on snow, good in the wet, very short dry braking, excellent dry handling
  • Negative - Weak snow handling

2017 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - As good as a summer tyre on dry roads, short wet braking distances, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive, mid pack wet circle result.

2016 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 7 tyres

• Positive - Top marks dry and wet, and very strong in fuel consumption and wear tests
  • Negative - Weak on snow
215/55 R17 98W XL   C A 69
225/55 R17 101W XL   B A 69
215/60 R17 100V XL   B A 69

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

2017-11-05 - Does cross climate have a greater fuel consumption than summer tyres? Because I see mixed user reviews about this but no actual test.

If you look at the 2017 all season tyre test the CrossClimate has a lower fuel use than the summer tyre included in the test.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
232 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate.

Given 75% (breakdown) while driving a Lexus CT200h (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
I fitted CrossClimate tyres to my Lexus CT200H 3000 miles ago. I keep a track off all expenses with an app called Road Trip. I do find these tyres much quieter and smoother to run but fuel consumption is much worse. With the mixed bag of budget tyres that came with the car I returned 52mpg over 5000 miles. With my Bridgestone DriveGuard Winter tyres I also retuned 52mpg over 4500 miles but with the CrossClimate tyres I have only managed to average 46mpg over the 3000 miles so far. I bought them thinking I would probably just run one set of tyres all year but with the reduction in fuel consumption to that extent I won't buy them again and will continue to run separate summer and writer tyres. An 11.5% increase in fuel costs is to much to bare.
I feel just as confident in the wet and dry with these tyres as I did with the previous ones. I sorry but I''m not a tyre reviewer and this is about as technical as I can be
I haven’t had them long enough to comment on winter performance and as I still have my Bridgestone DriveGuard Winter tyres and wheels, I’ve change them over today. The CrossClimates will go back on in the Spring so unless we get late snow it will be a while before I can comment on that aspect of the Tyre.
7 - tyre reviewed on November 27, 2017
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Touran tdi (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 2,000 easy going miles
I have a steep him to get out of my street we’re I live and in the snow I got up the hill no problem at all ,so they work .
8 - tyre reviewed on November 25, 2017
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 93 Sportwagen 150 TiD (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Great Tyre for all round year use, including wet autumn, and occasional winter showers/ice
6 - tyre reviewed on November 21, 2017
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo V70 2.0D (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 25,000 average miles
These tyres are excellent in wet conditions, pretty good in the dry and better than summer ones in light snow (1-2 inches).

The volvo has quite a lot of torque and is heavy and I have to go up a long steep hill with curves every day , some tyre slippage under the snowy conditions but it did get up. On the flat grip in snow was better than the summer tyres which were originally on car (Goodyear efficient grip), but you would expect that. They have performed excellent under any other conditions and are really suited to the wet roads we see in Ayrshire (W Scotland), and you really feel the benefit when its really chucking it down.

The only other experience I have of all seasons was the bridgestone A100 on a Vectra C 1.9 TD and these performed better on the hill in light snow- this may be like comparising apples to oranges however as the cars are very different. A100 not available in tyres size otherwise I may have stuck with them as they were good in the wet too. However these tyres tended to leave small bits of rubber on the car paintwork (not so with Michelin)

I however get the feeling the volvo would probably need full winters for proper performance.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2017
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (195/65 R15 V) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
Comfort is brilliant. It is the first thing you notice, even if you are not experienced driver.
Negative points are cornering (you have a wobbly feel in corners), and steering (which is not direct enough high speeds)... Comparing it to pure summer tire (GY Performance) on hard acceleration on wheels spins more easily on Michelins, and ABS engages more easily on the wet. Dry grip is great.
Best things are - durability, comfort, they are all extra load tires, and when winter is coming close and all cars are in shops losing lot of time waiting for the tire change, you can relax and drive until first heavy snow. Overall, it is a great tire without any significant weaknesses on dry or wet, butt would not recommend it for snow. You still need proper winter tires. On cold and wet weather they are much much better than standard summer tire. Overall, during the year there are more days these tyres will have edge in front of summer tire.
I would by them again any time as long as they are not more than 15% expensive than average summer tire with the same speed index.

0 - tyre reviewed on October 18, 2017