Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 119 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 1,447,350 miles driven.

Reports

2018 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 9th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Lowest wear on test, good in the dry and on icy roads.
  • Negative - Weak on snow.

2018 New and Worn Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 17 tyres

2017 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - As good as a summer tyre on dry roads, short wet braking distances, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive, mid pack wet circle result.
185/60 R14 86H XL   C B 68 6.85kgs
225/60 R17 103V XL   C A 68 10.82kgs
215/65 R17 103V XL   B A 69 10.80kgs
225/55 R18 102V XL AO B B 69 11.00kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

2017-11-05 - Does cross climate have a greater fuel consumption than summer tyres? Because I see mixed user reviews about this but no actual test.

If you look at the 2017 all season tyre test the CrossClimate has a lower fuel use than the summer tyre included in the test.

2018-03-04 - Im considering purchasing some cross climates for my car. However, my car has 14" wheels and I understand that Michelin do not produce the crossclimate+ tyre in 14" sizes. Is there a noticeable difference in durability and performance when worn between the standard crossclimate and the + models? And is there a reason why they do not produce the + model in 14"?

There are minimal differences between the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ versions of the tyre. I would imagine the current lack of + version would indicate it's a low volume size and the moulds have yet to be updated.

2018-03-30 - My current Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres are down to 3mm on the front (rear 6mm). On any kind of light snow/slush the front tyres just spin. Could I fit 2 Cross Climate tyres or shouldn't you mix summer and all season tyres?

It is not advised to fit just two all season tyres, when you do encounter snow or ice the grip imbalance is so high it can cause very dangerous situations.

2018-06-28 - I'm in a quandary; which would be my best choice? Michelin CrossClimate or Nokian Weatherproof SUV 235/65R17 for a Toyota RAV4?

It depends on your usage plans, however I believe the CrossClimate a better all season tyre for the majority of the UK as the Weatherproof behaves more like a winter tyre in the dry, which gives you extended dry braking.

2019-03-01 - Why Crossclimate have so much difference from Crossclimate+ on ice performance?

It shouldn't, both tyres should be very similar.

2020-05-05 - In which country or countries are your Michelin CrossClimate tires that are sold in Iceland currently manufactured?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, but it will be noted on the sidewall of the tyre.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
437 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate >>

Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 140 TDI Sport Estate (235/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
I live in Yorkshire. Little snow to be had. Two winters back we had a snowfall and it laid in the country. I set off in my Yeti on Continental winter tyres (850s I think}. They managed the snow fine and in pushing the Yeti I did manage to create a skid on a bend. Now over to the Cross Climates on my 2.0 tdi Passat estate. I travelled the same route and I was just as impressed. Whilst the winters on the Yeti (2wd) were excellent, I couldn't really tell the difference between the winter tyres and the Cross Climates. I was careful on the compacted areas but far happier than I would have been on a traditional summer rubber. The Cross Climates have been excellent in all weathers including 33C last summer. I have completed 15,000 miles and this autumn have swapped front to back. Front having 4mm and back 6mm remaining. I expect to get to 30,000 and will replace with new all seasons although I will review others when I get to that point and the 4seasons from Goodyear maybe the next ones on my car. One thing for certain - I'll be buying all seasons tyres for any car I own for the rest of my driving days. It's really silly not to - and furthermore ....for the cost of a bar snack for four you can move up to a premium tread and have the best quality on the road. It might just save a life.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2020
Trying to pick the very best all season tyre? Watch this!
Skoda (235/50 R19 W) on mostly country roads for 2,000 average miles
I put Michelin Crossclimate tyres on my new Skoda Kodiaq 4 x 4. They performed as well as the reviews BUT I have one observation that I feel you and your readers should be made aware of. If the car is parked on my (or other) gravel driveways the gravel will stick to the tyres. And I mean stick! The longer the car is parked the more the gravel becomes stuck. The gravel stays on the tyres as I reverse up the driveway and is then deposited on the roadway. The gravel is so well stuck that the car feels like it is going over bumps as the tyres rotate. The problem is bad enough for me to now go to the trouble of prising off the gravel each time I use the car! The tyres have done this since new (now covered around 2000 miles and around 6 months old) and the problem is present irrespective of weather conditions - it makes no difference if it's freezing cold, hot, wet or dry. The problem isn't related to the gravel type in our driveway, it's a standard chipping used by the developer on our and neighbouring properties. My neighbours do not have the gravel sticking to their tyres - needless to say, they don't have Crossclimate tyres. Our other car (Suzuki S Cross All Grip) has Vector 4Season tyres on it and from brand new the gravel has never stuck to them. I also have a motorbike (BMW 1250GS) and it's soft compound tyres do not pick up the gravel either. I can drive the full length of our driveway to put the motorbike in the garage and not have a single piece of gravel in the garage. So the Crossclimates are a tyre with excellent performance but also with a considerable flaw should one regularly park on gravel.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2020
Given 80% while driving a BMW 520d (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 11 average miles
Given that this is a winter rated summer tyre Iíve been pleasantly surprised at how well they handle in the wet and ice. Only driven once in snow but were way better than normal summer tyres on my rear wheel drive BMW 5 series. Not as good as some tyres in the dry but completely manageable. Comfort levels felt unchanged from the previous Pirelli tyres fitted by BMW.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 28, 2020