Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 66% while driving a BMW M240i (245/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 18,000 spirited miles
The tires came factory fitted to my M240i, which I use as a daily driver. The dry grip and dry handling was the best part of the tires, but they needed some temperature to grip properly. Wear wasn't bad considering I often drove spirited on twisty roads. Once you experienced the Michelin PS4 you soon realize the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has very weak wet grip. Aquaplaning was very bad. Comfort wise the tires were quite hard, but not runflat hard. Overall an excellent tire for dry conditions, but weak in dry conditions.
1 - tyre reviewed on April 9, 2020
Given 69% while driving a BMW M140i (245/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
This review has been prompted since putting the PSSs back on the car from running a set of winter tyres. Coming back to these after running a set of Continental WinterContact TS 850P (over a mild winter) has clarified my initial impressions. To properly understand the scores I have given the Michelins, I need to give some background to the car they are fitted to and its dynamic traits. The M-lite cars suffer on bumpy, broken UK roads in a similar way to their full M Division bigger brothers. Overly stiff springs, no LSD and 370ft-lbs delivered from 1500rpm taxes rear traction at the very best of times. The suspension is designed for smooth German autobahns when fully loaded. So this car (on standard suspension) is particularly sensitive to the correct tyre match and the pressure they are set to. On a warm (15deg+) dry day, these tyres are magical. Immense grip, fast steering reactions and great stability. I love them on these days. On 'most' northern UK days i.e. cooler and damp, these tyres seem to stiffen up with the net effect of giving traction problems, having noisy tread-block movement on full lock and a fidgety unsettled ride that lowers confidence because I feel the car is skimming the surface of the road. Interestingly with full heavy rain, they seem to find more traction than just damp conditions, so maybe the tread design clears water better than the rubber compound seems to deal with lower temperatures? In contrast, the Conti winter tyres lost all the dynamic sporty benefits of the PSS (they are winter tyres after all) but replaced them with a far better ride and greater confidence in wet/cold weather. They are winter tyres! Back to the Michelins. Set to 34psi all-round and with the temperature hovering around 10degrees, all the negatives have come to the fore again. On the first day of fitting them back on the car, the steering precision, stability and dynamic behaviour where amplified directly after removing the softer Contis. The car felt dynamically amazing.....However since then I have adjusted back to how they behave on a daily basis. My conclusion is this; On the right car in a warmer climate, these are fantastic. If you do track days in warmer climates - amazing. I think they work well in a narrow window provided they suit the dynamics and power delivery of the car. In the UK on an M140i, I find them disappointing on more days than I love them. So the scores I have given them actually reflect the car/tyre match and not necessarily the tyres on their own. For what I want my car to behave like, I'll probably try a set of Goodyear Asymmetric 5s next. Hopefully these will give most of the plus points of both the Michelins and the Contis combined. I also need to set aside some funds for a suspension upgrade.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 22, 2020
Given 74% while driving a BMW na (275/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
well
i have had around 4 trackdays including couple of laps on the wet rainy Nurburgring day, it was indeed tricky and almost got me with the wet/standing water oversteering but dry performance is what you would expect: stable and you get what you paid for . probably ps4s / cup 2 would be better for the dry
2 - tyre reviewed on February 13, 2020
Given 87% while driving a BMW M140i (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 13 spirited miles
Excellent in the dry although I could break traction in my 140i took a few cycles on launch control to hook up without spinning the wheels. Brilliant all round tyre, I occasionally track my car and it handles surprising well with fantastic tread wear. My car seems to wear the outer edges first but that's due to the standard control arms I've read M4 control arms fix this with more camber. In the wet they are pretty good for a summer tyre I always take it steady in wet weather anyway I'd advise anyone to do the same. They are noisy on the motorway. Country roads are the same however the grip is fantastic they really stick to the road and don't skip as you bounce from undulations in the road.
Overall highly recommend.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Honda Civic Type R (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
they are expensive
0 - tyre reviewed on December 12, 2019
Given 73% while driving a Nissan 370Z (275/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 11,000 spirited miles
Replace the set of PS2, these tyres had more grip in both dry and wet than the PS2 and significantly better than the original RE050A. Quicker turn in and better road feedback, very grippy but it did give me a feel of sudden lost of grip at the limit than the PS2. Good fun on the track. They were also more quiet and less harsh even I had 98 at front and 100 loadings at the back. The PSS triggered the traction control to step in earlier than other sets, I got a habit of turning off the traction control when i started the engine.

My set didn't last very long though, had them for around 18ks before replacing them because cracks appeared on the surface of both rear tyres and at similar locations - cracks along the circumference on the inner tread blocks. My mechanics said the tyres were delaminating. Tyres made in week 13 of 2016, so about 3yrs old and no more.
4 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2019
Given 89% while driving a Ford Focus ST250 (235/35 R19 W) on mostly country roads for 1,500 spirited miles
I bought this tyre, because I like to drive for weekend on country roads. My focus st now has grip, safety and the stearing is on the next level. Great job Michelin !!
0 - tyre reviewed on June 15, 2019
Given 91% while driving a Mercedes Benz E350 (245/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
PSS are great tyres which replaced front pair of PS4. PSS's brought huge improvement in all aspect comparing to PS4's. Wear wise PSS's are by far better than PS4's. After 8000 miles tyres are still in very good condition. I love PSS's.

Sporty driving is excellent especially having PSS's in front.

Only downside on PSS is that manufacturer doesn't offer size 265/35/18 that I can fit on rear. Therefore PS2 fitted instead.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 31, 2019