Michelin Primacy 4

The Michelin Primacy 4 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre offers a new a reference for safety. After three years of development, this tyre provides a high level of performance on wet roads, from the first use until worn to the legal wear indicator (1.6mm). This tyre, thus responds to the need to perform at a high level when worn; a long lasting performance.

Compared to its direct competitors, the new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 lasts an average of 18,000 kilometres more; confirming the long lasting performance of the new tyres designed by Michelin. The new MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 tyre is a concrete demonstration of the Michelin Group’s strategy: consumers must be able to drive safely, throughout the life of the tyre, right down to the legal wear indicator of 1.6 mm

This tyre replaced the Michelin Primacy 3

Tyre review data from 57 tyre reviews averaging 81% over 788,130 miles driven.

2019 NAF Summer Tyre Test - 5th of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent braking performance.
  • Negative - Weak lateral stability.

2019 ACE Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 9 tyres

2019 AMS Summer SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 11 tyres

• Positive - Short dry braking, easy to manage.
  • Negative - Poor wet grip, average aquaplaning resistance.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Primacy 4

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Primacy 4

2017-09-27 - Can you mail the catalog of primacy 4 or all the tyres size for me?

We will be attending the Michelin Primacy 4 launch in mid October 2017, so we will have a full list of Primacy 4 sizes on the website shortly after.

2018-02-13 - When will 15'' sizes be availabe for this tire? Michelin said they would be availabe from january. Have they dropped 15''?

The plan is a phased transition in some sizes from Energy Saver+ to Primacy 4. 2018 sizes are 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 in May/Sept, more to follow in 2019.

2018-03-12 - Need your help . Can’t decide between Michelin Primacy 4 , Continental Premium 6 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT2. Car: Ford Focus 2008 1.6 Ti-VCT 115hp . 2009-2013 ContiSportContact5 (35000km) . 2013-2018 ContiSportContact5 (30000km). 225/4018 both of them

A very hard question to answer! I would be between the Michelin and Continental Premium Contact 6, but I would probably end up choosing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4!

2018-06-04 - For a 205/55/R16/91V tyre size, which is better, Michelin Primacy 4 or Continental Premium contact 5?

They are both comparable tyres. The Michelin will have better mileage, the Conti might have slightly better wet grip.

2018-09-01 - Considering both these or Pilot Sport for Golf 1.4 in 205.55 R16. Both seem excellent tyres...but not really sure how they compare to each other. I am assuming PS is more sporty, ie stiffer sidewall? Can anyone clearly characterize the differences in "qualities" of these tyres in order to aid decision-making? (over and above all the excellent reviews). Thank you!

Your assumption is correct in that the Primacy 4 should be slightly more comfortable, slightly quieter and slightly better mileage, where as the PS4 will feel slightly more sporty.

2018-09-17 - I am thinking about buying this tyre, but I don't know which version to choose between: 225/45/R17 91W/Y or the 225/45/R17 94W XL. The XL has better fuel rating and one decibel lower noise level. Would there be any drawbacks if opting for this version? The car is an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170HP.

In theory the higher load rating could give you slightly less comfort, but in practice the differences can be very hard to notice so I would suggest that would be the tyre I would look at fitting.

2018-10-15 - Following on from the question someone had relating to the XL version being better noise and efficiency ratings that xl version appears more preferable to the 91 rated version. Would the 94 xl version need a higher psi or is it OK to run at the car manufacturers recommended psi (assuming the only psi rating given is for a 91 rated tyre)?

It's always best to start running at the manufacturers recommended pressures. Sometimes XL tyres with loads like to be around 2 psi higher, but again worth checking.

2018-11-23 - What is your advice 're replacing 2 tyres? Front primacy 3 on my volvo are worn but rears have over 5mm tread left. Do you think primacy 4 would be a good fit to replace the fronts as presumably they have similar characteristics to the primacy 3s. Do you think I should put the newer tyre on the rear?

Yes, the Primacy 4 would be a good replacement for the Primacy 3, and the general advice is to put the newer / better tyre on the rear of the vehicle to avoid oversteer.

2019-07-30 - Is Primacy 4 an upgrade to the Primacy 3? Reason I ask if because the Primacy 3 is more expensive than the Primacy 4. Making me think that Primacy 3 might actually be better as an overall tyre? As I currently got my 2 rear tyres changed and bought the Primacy 4 tyres. However the Formula One Autocentre fitted the Primacy 3 tyres saying that the order of the Primacy 4 is due in another 6 weeks so he suggested to keep the Primacy 3 for the same price? Wondering if I should just keep the Primacy 3 tyres now they are fitted.

If you ordered the Primacy 4, I would want those tyres. They are a direct replacement for the Primacy 3, and improve on the Primacy 3 in most areas.

2019-08-26 - Living in a small market country like Cyprus where the market is limited to options in "strange" sizes (Lexus IS220d with 225/45/17 & 245/45/17) I have the following decision to take. The Pilot Sport 4 I have on the car now are wearing down (will get roughly around 30K km on them) and I enquired about Evo 3, Conti Premium 6 and F1 A5 (had the A3 before the PS4) and I can only find the front tyres (!!!) at the moment. So I'm kinda left with the F1 A3 and the Primacy 4. I liked the F1 A3 a lot but knowing that the F1 A5 is out there I'm a bit bummed. I know one tyre is a performance tyre and the Primacy 4 is a touring tyre and I'm not really driving the car on sport mode so I'm leaning towards the Primacy 4. Price for the Goodyear should be a bit cheaper (around €530 compared to €580 for the Primacy 4). Any opinion to get me over the line? :) Thank you.

Without knowing your market it is very difficult for me to recommend anything else, especially as you really seem to know your tyres! The extra purchase price of the Prim4 should be offset by the extra mileage, but the Asymmetric 3 will likely be the grippier tyre overall.

Top Michelin Primacy 4 Review

Given 65% while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 2,200 average miles
2016 BMW 320i 225/50/17
2014 VW GOLF 205/55/16
After the initial minutes of euphoria having the latest Michelin's on both of our cars I am now more doubtful about these tires.
We have only driven ca 2200 km with the BMW and ca 1800 km with the VW, not much distance but on very various roads in just a few days and enough to have a good impression, it is similar impression with both cars.
It's rather good tires on good roads, good grip in turns wet and dry, acceptable/good comfort on good roads, relatively low noise although there is an unusual, but modest, mechanical or metallic sound from these tires, it is not loud but a little unpleasant.
The steering feel and handling is not quite as precis as I got used to with the other tire-brands, not at all a huge difference but I miss that little extra sense of road-feel and response.
As soon as I left the tire dealer with the new Michelin's I noticed a little slippery unstable feeling basically at all the time at any speed and road surface, wet or dry on both cars.
This little slippery feeling has not disappeared on any of the cars.
It is difficult to explain, it must be experienced, it is as if there is a little wax or oil on these tires, it is very little and hardly noticeable, not a huge problem but it is always there and it's slightly annoying.
Even on completely straight driving on highways there is this little sliding feeling, basically at any speed, it's very little but it's there, it's like the cars somehow are floating a little bit and never lands, the cars never really feel completely solid planted on the roads like with the other previous tire-brands.
I never really drive the cars over the limits in turns but very near the limits, the grip is good with the Michelin's on good roads, it is possible to go fast in turns, but on both cars there is this for me an unusual little slippery unstable shaky or vibrating feeling near the limits, not much, but still, I never felt that with the other tire-brands near the limits and I felt that I had more control with those other brands, although the grip is good it makes me drive these Michelin's a little bit slower in turns even on good roads than with the other tire-brands.
And on bad roads I have to slow down quite a bit with the Michelin's compared to my old tires, not so much a problem with the VW but still noticeable and unwanted, the BMW however is really bouncing around on bad roads with the Michelin's, it is uncomfortable and unstable, it does not feel safe at all.
I can not explain this, if it had been a different tire dimension and bigger wheels then I could understand the bouncing but it is the same roads and the same cars with the same wheels and tire-sizes that I have driven with other tire-brands.
The Michelin's are significantly more expensive than most other brands, I can not say anything about the wear because they are brand new, they do however in my opinion not excel at anything and their behavior on bad roads are not good.
In general the Michelin's are good tires but they do not handle quite as good as my previous tires, very small differences but in favor of previous tires.
My previous tires was Continental on BMW and Dunlop Sport BlueResponse on VW, good and stable tires with no particular fault except very high wear, I would still prefer any of them over the Michelin's.

382 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018

Latest Michelin Primacy 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Primacy 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Primacy 4.

Peugeot (235/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
I have not had one problem with my Michelin Primacy4 tyres. I do not drive fast but I don't hand around either. the roads I use are a good mix of motorway, main and side roads. The tyres are very comfortable with no real noticeable road noise. They are lasting extremely well and I will have no hesitation in buying them again when the time comes.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 20, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Renault Megane (205/55 R16 H) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
Superb Tyre in wet and dry conditions. Virtually no road noise . I really trust these tyres as they grip so well
1 - tyre reviewed on January 15, 2020
Do winter tyres really work on supercars? Watch this video to find out!
Given 57% while driving a Honda Accord (205/60 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I purchased a set of 4 of Primacy 4 tyres approx. 4 weeks ago after being told the Primacy LC were not available.
After having 8 sets of Primacy LC these tyres are a very hard compound compared to the Primacy LC and the amount of noise and thumping of the suspension over bump strips,expansion gaps on bridges and general road pot holes is beyond belief. I now have rattles in the car and suspension that I have never had before. Adjusting tyre pressures has made no difference and when the tyres are cold the problem is worse. The tread is far to hard and is not compliant and has been developed for wear and not handling. Braking is very good on dry roads but only average on wet roads and it is very easy to spin the front wheels on acceleration from traffic lights on damp bitumen.
The smoothness of the Primacy LC's on the same roads has gone, along with the road holding when pushing into corners at speed and I am using a lot more fuel compared to when the Primacy LC's were fitted.
my regular commute to work is approx.350 kms per week on the open road and I was getting 400km per half tank.
This has now dropped back to between 310km & 350 km since fitting the Primacy 4.
These tyres are overpriced and ride very harshly and do not inspire confidence in corners and there must be better buys.
I have only done 2000km on them so far so I cannot judge what the wear rate will but as that a very hard tyre know doubt it quite high.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 12, 2019
Given 84% while driving a Skoda Octavia mk2 vrs (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
Quite a decent tyre nothing much to complain about grips really well driven around 10k km and there is almost no wear at all ! Pretty happy with them
3 - tyre reviewed on November 15, 2019
Given 54% while driving a Volvo S80 2 litre diesel se sport (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 21,000 average miles
Wanted the Primacy 3's again. 20k out of those and was happy. currently 21k out of these, after tyre swaps front to back at 14k. currently 5mm front and rear. Its November and really want to change to winter tyres, but can't see the point as there is too much left on these tyres after 10 months of use.

They don't keep pressure too well. tend to lose 2 to 3 psi all round in a month. obviously they get softer and comfort kicks in before steering gets heavier.

straight line traction is OK in acceleration. braking is a different matter. these are the only tyres that have caused me wheel shake on baking hard. (disks and pads changed for the same reason, but the effect is still due to the tyres at 38 or 36 psi both sides.

4 - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2019