Nokian WR D4

Nokian WR D4 Reviews (newest first) - Page 2

Given 90% while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Excellent snow and ice grip. Surprisingly good dry and wet handling for a winter tyre. Just a note: it sounds like the other reviewers are incorrectly using these all year, or just not bothering to rotate their tyres. I’ve used these for 12,000 miles of winter only use, and they still easily have 6-7mm remaining.
20 - tyre reviewed on September 28, 2018
Given 77% while driving a Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 18,000 average miles
I bought these tyres when they appeared in 2015, and drove them every winter since on my Audi A4. Their performance in snow is outstanding, on wet surface is pretty good as well, but on dry, if you force the car, they won't be so "happy". They aren't noisy and the fuel consumption is normal. The only weak points are the stability at high speeds - the car starts to womble even if the tyres had the right pressure in them - and the wear, which i find kind of unexpectedly weak. In the first winter, they lost 3 mm. I sold them this year at nearly 4mm, but their performance this winter wasn't the same like it was the first two ones. I would definitely buy them again for their performances and good price/quality ratio, but i recommend, however, to pe put on a lighter and less powerfull car, where i think they can last more than 3 winter seasons.
6 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2018
Given 67% while driving a Citron C4 (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Excellent performance in wet conditions, above average in snow but the wear of the tire is the worst ever. Only after 20000 kilometers the front tires are for the trash bin.
8 - tyre reviewed on April 29, 2018
Given 77% while driving a Volkswagen Passat (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
These tires have a really good grip in snow, but the wear is terrible
5 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2018
Given 100% while driving a Subaru Outback 2009 (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 27 spirited miles
im writen this march 6th 2018 ive had these tyres on my subaru outback 10month i live in eyam in the derbyshire peak distric so bad weather in winter ive dun 27.000 mile on these tryes and the tread is just the same the day they were put on in buxton derbyshire how amazing is that god grip got threw this bad weather here wen everyone stuck
10 - tyre reviewed on March 6, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Toyota Prius III (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 75,000 average miles
Here in Italy it is the law to have winter tyres from 1st Nov to 31st March, so this was my first purchase of winher tyres, as previously I always carried chains.
First purchased in November 16, as strongly recommended by my fitting station.
The boss was so confident that I would like them, he said he would change them to whatever, within 500km if I wasn't satisfied.
For work I travel extensively in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France and cover on average about 100.000km a year of which half are on winter tyres.
The first most noticeable difference to the Conti summer tyres, was that they were significantly quieter at speeds under 80KPH (50mph) and also the odd pot-hole incident tended to be a softer collision.
First snow was in Italy/Austria in Jan 17, and the grip and control at 60/70kph was faultless.
Later when this same snow turned to slush and froze, the ride was a bit like holding on as the car jumped about between the corregations.
To date, I have covered about 120.000km on these tyres and as they are now between 3 & 4 mm of depth left, I intend to change them for another set in the coming days.
6 - tyre reviewed on March 5, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Skoda Yeti (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 20,000 average miles
20,000 miles in on my Skoda Yeti. Tyres are half way through wear.

I've driven with the WR D3 before so have not be surprised about how good these WR D4 tyres are in the snow. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any other tyre to get me around in winter. My Yeti is 2WD but with these tyres I've no problem getting over the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road throughout winter (the road in the Scottish Highlands that you always hear about being blocked on Radio 2!). The grip is fine on dry and wet roads but I tend not to drive quickly in winter anyway so I am unable to advise what these would be like at the limit, but they feel confidence inspiring and a strong tyre. They are also good in modest mud and slush (I visit farms as part of my work and have never lost traction / got stuck). I had Goodyear Ultragrips on once - never again, they were so soft and 'squidgy' feeling and dreadful in the snow - maybe ok if all you want is a winter tyre for that one day of snow in a milder area of the country. I also had Vredestien Wintrac Extremes once, tbh they seemed pretty good, but the Nokian definitely have the edge on snow-grip.

Downsides? Noise. On some surfaces they can be quite noisy, but during winter I am happy for this trade-off given their superb grip in snow.

So, if you regularly drive on snow / slushy mud then these are the best tyres I have ever used.
6 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2018
Given 60% while driving a Opel Astra J Sports Tourer (205/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
This is my second review on these tyres. Although it is most important how well do they handle snow (and they are not so bad on snow) the wear is terrible. Huge chunks are falling off after just two winters. Mileage I did was low. As long as they are turning you feel secure on snow, but as soon as you lock them (even when you actually completely stopped on a incline!), they slide out of control. Twice there was real drama as they couldn't cope with small incline.
Mine were made in Russia. Took them back to seller, hoping that warranty covers excessive rubber tear.
6 - tyre reviewed on January 25, 2018
Given 80% while driving a Opel Astra J 1.4 turbo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 300 spirited miles
To get an idea, we use the Nokian Winter tires on our rentok Rentok Craiova car rental https://www.rentok.ro and I went for sure with these tires. There are some even better Nokian models, and therefore more expensive, but these have so far been more than enough for our roads and our climate.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2017
Given 61% while driving a Citron C4 (205/55 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Still waiting for the snow but my initial feel is like I am disapointed.
These tyres are ment for cold climate. They don't feel good with temperatures above zero degree Celsius. If you push them slightly harder on dry roads they will easily loose grip without any feedback.
Lets hope they perform well on snow and ice.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 24, 2017