Toyo T1R

The Toyo T1R is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Toyo T1S

This tyre has been replaced by the Toyo Proxes T1 Sport

Tyre review data from 280 tyre reviews averaging 72% over 3,639,683 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Toyo T1R
195/40 R16 80V XL   F C 70
185/50 R16 81V   F C 70
225/50 R16 92W   F C 70

Questions and Answers for the Toyo T1R

2018-07-11 - For many years I used continental's sport contact 2(195/45/15) for my Peugeot 106 and the grip is excellent. I am very pleased with them, during cornering, acceleration etc even with 200BHP without an LSD. But this time I was thinking of trying the T1R's because of the lower price, which are supposed to be great. I am not expecting the grip of the sport contact 2, but i want a progressive Tyre at the limit(very important) and with a bit less grip will be acceptable due to the price but not awful grip... And all the reviews I am reading here and from some tests, some say they are awesome and some say they are the worst tyres with no grip....Almost nothing in between....And I am wondering what the truth is...Maybe those with a good review do not push their car close to the limit? If anyone can help it would be great...

The T1R is now an old tyre. They still seem to work in specific sizes on lighter cars, but for bigger heavier cars, they're not the best option anymore.

Top Toyo T1R Review

Given 73% while driving a Subaru wrx turbo (205/50 R16 W) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
Quite happy with the tyre performance both in dry and wet including braking. Noisy but car is fitted with coilover suspension which contribute to part of the noise and discomfort.
284 - tyre reviewed on April 11, 2016

Latest Toyo T1R Reviews

Have you driven on the Toyo T1R tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Toyo T1R? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Toyo T1R >>

Given 94% while driving a Peugeot 306 (195/50 R15) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
Amazing handling on wet as well as on dry tarmac, quiet and responsive. The only drawback was rather quick wear, as you would expect from very grippy tyres.
2 - tyre reviewed on April 23, 2020
Want the best tyre for real world driving? Watch this!
Given 80% while driving a Saab Automobile 9 5 Wagon 150 275bhp (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I drive a large front wheel drive estate car, 275bhp or so. Firstly, these are a SUMMER tyre, so you have to anticipate that they may not be so great in the wet, although I managed OK in the Central Belt's big freeze (-11ºC) of 2010 on them.
They are a little noisy, especially as the temperature drops and the rubber gets slightly harder. (At this point I normally put winter tyres on)
In the wet they behave very well, breakaway is quite gradual at high speeds and very controllable. I've never actually found the lateral breakaway speed...
Some of the comments on here amuse, the chap whose car went wobbly when braking and cornering, that's why you do one or the other! You don't drive your car in the same manner in the wet as the dry. To do so is stupidity.
I've had about five sets of these tyres and wouldn't hesitate in getting them again. If you want bad, go and fit a set of Talon Triangles.....
5 - tyre reviewed on November 29, 2019
Given 50% while driving a Mazda MX5 (205/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
The tires came with a set of wheels I bought for my car, but the weren’t worn im any case.
First thing I nad realised was very poor level of comfort. At 205/45 I could feel even the smallest crack in the road.
Dry performance was good, although the car had a tendency to understeer.
DISASTER CAME after the first rain. Never have I ever came across anything worse than that. Please consider that those tires are EXTREMALY DANGEROUS in wet conditions. I’ve quickly replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4, and I am happy with my decision.
6 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2019
Given 54% while driving a SEAT Ibiza 1.4TSI ACT (215/40 R17) on mostly motorways for 80,000 spirited miles
Replaced my factory fit P7's up front after 51k with the T1R's - not sure it was the right choice for the car.

Main issues:
- Unsure in the wet - depends fully on road surface
- Factory recommended tire pressure seems too low for these tires - they feel flat and spongy
- Due to above, the cornering is questionable as is braking
- Corner to tight and tire "wobbles" and tries to ping you out of the corner - feels uncontrolled.

The only way I can get past this is running them at 42-44psi - which is not great given the working limit is 50psi...

May be good on other cars, but not on the Ibiza..
6 - tyre reviewed on March 23, 2019