Nankang SV2

Show all: Nankang tyres, Passenger Car Winter High Performance tyres
The Nankang SV2 is a High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 23 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 157,340 miles driven.

Nankang SV2

86%

73%

80%

Nankang SV2 Reviews

Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz E350 (255-35-18-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 40,000 average miles
Hard wearing with 40000 miles on a 260bhp E350 mercedes. Slippy in the wet. Made the E350 feel like an AMG63!
tyre reviewed on July 21, 2015
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Camry (195-65-15-T)
I bought this tire - knowing about the very negative reviews of its predecessor - because it was a great buy. I could purchase them very cheaply, so I thought, what the heck, it would be a great tire test...

After mounting and balancing, away I went out to the highway and the first impression was scary! The car was very loose; it had a shimmying motion diagonally which was downright frightening.
I pulled to the next gas station to check things. Everything was OK, but as I pushed the sidewall of the tire, I noticed that it was VERY soft. The pressure was set to the recommended 1.8/1.8 bar on my Camry. I thought that if the tire has so pliable sidewalls, then I have to compensate this with more pressure. So I decided to raise the inflation pressure to 2.5/2.4 front/rear. I was right!!!
The car was immediately transformed! It rode very well despite of the raised pressure, and the SV-2 was exceptionally quiet - I started to trust the tire.

Then came the true winter with deep snow. Although the SV-2 doesn't have an aggressive winter profile/sipes, the raw bite and traction is simply awesome. I towed other cars from a parking garage with the ramp completely covered in fresh 20cm thick snow without any wheelspin. It felt like a platter ski lift!
Turn in was spontaneous, understeer was minimal if any. Braking performance and overall stability was also impeccable. The winter was absolutely convincing, so I decided to leave on the SV-2s to see how they perform in the scorching heat during summer months. Here in Hungary we have a -20°C - +40°C temp range, so a tire must prove itself.
Obviously, the compound went softer, and a tad indifferent, but a /65 tire will never be so spontaneous and instant like a low profile sporty one. It kept its absolute silence, predictability and again performed very well. I must note that the wear factor was simply nonexistent. I rotated them correctly and they looked remarkably fresh. Finally, after 65.000 km, the shoulder blocks wore away on the fronts, as I usually corner with sprightly 0.6+ Gs, avoiding unnecessary braking whenever possible.

Now at the 80.000 km mark, I still have the rears on, but they are on their final kilometers now. I replaced the fronts with Nokian AllWeather Pluses, but I'm very dissatisfied with them. They offer nowhere near the performance of the Nankangs, and they have extremely low grip in damp conditions. I'm running dangerously wide in some corners...

So, to summarize, the Nankang SV-2s gave THE MOST PLEASANT tire owning experience in my life. It was an exceptional winter tire, but I can recommend this even as an all-season one. I'm an automotive journalist, so I drive lots of different tires, but after these I truly don't know what "premium" means. Quite often the premium brands simply don't have the longevity/performance compared to others, and that questions the objectivity of tire testing in me.

Definitely a Buy Again.

+ quietness, snow grip, wet traction, stability (with raised pressure!), wear/degradation, overall balance, good water management/evacuation, attractive profile, ride comfort

- errm... well, slightly longer braking distances in the summer compared with high performance/low profile tires, but this is natural, you MUST compensate the soft sidewalls with more inflation pressure (usually around/upwards of 2.5 bar), otherwise the tire will be indifferent, snappy
tyre reviewed on June 15, 2015
Looking to buy the Nankang SV2? Click here to search for the best price for the Nankang SV2 or any other tyre.

Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Fiesta ST (205-40-17-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 800 easy going miles
Quick review

Bought for my fiesta st180 front wheel drive 200bhp.

Wanted some cheap winter tyres as i live in rural south west england. There is not much choice in the larger / low profile tyres unless you want to pay a fortune.

Due to the size of the standard st alloys 205/40/17 i had to buy some winters to match which i know is not ideal on a wide / low profile tyre. But i have to say i am impressed! Had these fitted for around 800miles now and wear is good they still look like new. Excellent through rain with a decent enough stopping distance. Handling is not as good as my Bridgestone summer tyres but this is due to the tread pattern of the winter tyre, which i wouldn't expect them to be. Do get me wrong they are not bad but who is going to be throwing a car into a corner in bad conditions. NOT ME! After having some snow this morning it performed great had no problem travelling 18miles through it.

Looking back they recommend buying a wheel diameter down from what is fitted with a slightly more narrow profile. This would then perform slightly better in wintery conditions. But have no complaints with mine at all.

Overview:
Better than a summer tyre in under 7oc conditions
Cheap with decent performance
I would recommend them for winter against a summer tyre all day long.
tyre reviewed on January 14, 2015
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 530D M sport (245-40-18-W)
Driving on mostly motorways for 8,000 average miles
Firstly I'd suggest everyone should use winter tyres in winter in Europe where temperature in winter falls below 7C.

My prime purpose buying Nankang was to test a cheap brand to see if that makes much difference from Goodyear or Continental & I must say I am not diappointed. Driving in dry conditions with as high speed as 130 mph in Germany and as snow with a food of snow in alps they performed very well.

Pros:
- I found then stable with speed upto 130 miles per hour in (winter) dry conditions (in Germany).
- Dry grip is pretty decent.
- Snow grip is pretty decent.
- Tread is stable. I have already driven for more than 8000 miles & I guess it will still go at least 8000 more.
- Cheap, almost half the price of any primium brand.

Cons:
- High fuel consumption (I compared it with my summer tyres only).
- Wet grip is manageable.
- Breaking distance is longer than premium tyres (due to less wet grip), but still 4 times better than summer tyres.

I think being budget tyres they are excellent choice. Those who want to stay secure in snow & icy conditions and dont want to spend a lot of money, its best choice.
tyre reviewed on October 10, 2014
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Citron C5 Tourer (225-55-17-W)
Driving on mostly town for 3,200 average miles
tyre reviewed on May 22, 2014
Given 76% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda (215-45-16-H)
Driving on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
This tyres are good at winter. Snow and ice grip is well. I went on the worst foggy and icy road it was still gripping well. There is not abrasion because tyre is little harder. If you drive in rainy weather, grip is not so well but enough . But it increased my fuel consumption %20 at least,this one is the worst. But if you need cheap and saver winter tyre you can choose.
tyre reviewed on March 24, 2014
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Rapid TDI (215-45-16-H)
Driving on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
tyre reviewed on March 24, 2014
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Citron C5 Tourer (225-55-17-V)
tyre reviewed on January 6, 2014
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 323 Touring (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 500 easy going miles
its a low buget tire that can have good grip on snow but offers no confort , its feel like a runflut tire
tyre reviewed on November 19, 2013
Given 36% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 206 1.4 90hp (225-45-17-)
Grip was in dry takelt decent. In the wet goedver, they were just about average. The deal drawback was that the tyres werd comfortable on bumps. They also made the car feel like a shoppingcart on the motorqay. The back end felt very loopse and sloppy. I should recommend A-grade tyrres, it's the only point of contact between the road and your car.
tyre reviewed on October 18, 2013

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: