Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 64 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 609,139 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 All Season VS Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good acceleration and braking on snow, good in the wet, very short dry braking, excellent dry handling
  • Negative - Weak snow handling

2017 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - As good as a summer tyre on dry roads, short wet braking distances, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive, mid pack wet circle result.

2016 AutoBild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Top performance on dry and wet surfaces, accurate and rapid response to the steering, low wear
  • Negative - Long braking distance on snow
  • Overall - Excellent
195/55 R15 89V XL   C A 68
215/55 R17 98W XL   C A 69
225/55 R17 101W XL   B A 69
215/60 R17 100V XL   B A 69

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
210 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate.

Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (195/65 R15 V) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
Comfort is brilliant. It is the first thing you notice, even if you are not experienced driver.
Negative points are cornering (you have a wobbly feel in corners), and steering (which is not direct enough high speeds)... Comparing it to pure summer tire (GY Performance) on hard acceleration on wheels spins more easily on Michelins, and ABS engages more easily on the wet. Dry grip is great.
Best things are - durability, comfort, they are all extra load tires, and when winter is coming close and all cars are in shops losing lot of time waiting for the tire change, you can relax and drive until first heavy snow. Overall, it is a great tire without any significant weaknesses on dry or wet, butt would not recommend it for snow. You still need proper winter tires. On cold and wet weather they are much much better than standard summer tire. Overall, during the year there are more days these tyres will have edge in front of summer tire.
I would by them again any time as long as they are not more than 15% expensive than average summer tire with the same speed index.

0 - tyre reviewed on October 18, 2017
Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Auto (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 3,500 average miles

I had 4 x MCC fitted to my XC 60 AWD, some 3 months ago. They were unnecessarily expensive, but Volvo have always been at the leading edge of cost.

My xc60 had experienced a "pulling to the left" issue for 1.5 years and despite the willingness of the dealer to resolve the problem, it remained. On fitting the 4 x MCC tyres the issue went away, can't possibly explain why it should, but it most certainly did. Much quieter ride than the Pirrelli OE. Great in the wet.
No experience of testing the tyres in the snow or ice yet, but with the winter round the corner, that opportunity may arise earlier than I would have wished. However, the combination of the 4 x MCC and the AWD of the Volvo I am looking forward to winter with the slightest trepidation. I am most interested to see how much mileage can be squeezed from the tyres, as at first glance the tread is not that deep.
Good decision to fit and enjoy driving on them.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 14, 2017
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Avensis Wagon D4D 2.2 (215/45 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 8,500 easy going miles
Can't really fault these at all. They were expensive because mine are a slightly odd size made in smaller quantities, apparently, but they're doing a brilliant job. I've checked the fitting paperwork and it's about 8500 miles since they went onto my (fairly heavy) Toyota Avensis estate. Grip in the wet and dry is fantastic. There's a real solidity to the way they bite and hold, even if you tighten your line mid-corner. My road often isn't gritted in the winter but these got me up the hill and off the estate every time I asked, even when the road surface was sheet ice. I had to be careful to avoid wheelspin, but the tyres found more than enough grip where summer tyres were seeing other cars abandoned at the roadside.

Braking grip is outstanding. My older Avensis doesn't have brilliant brakes but you can stamp on them without causing the tyres any headaches. At the limit (which feels strange in an Avensis), the tyres are super-progressive. Naturally I'm looking at understeer, but the CrossClimates are very reluctant to give up the ghost in the first place, sliding and regaining grip very predictably when they eventually do.

Marks have to come off because of a relative lack of feel next to a top-drawer summer tyre, and also because of a strange 'hissing' sound the tyres make under acceleration, but only on smooth surfaces. I noticed it as soon as the tyres were swapped and, having long since gotten used to it, I thought it had vanished until I listened for it properly again, and it's still there.

Wear rates are practically non-existent. I'm normally fairly gentle with the car to protect it, but 8500 miles seems to have taken less than 1mm off the fronts. That's astonishing. If that wear rate holds up, I could realistically be looking at changing them because of age before I change them because of wear. My wife has just bought a used B-Max with mismatched tyres, and we'll be swapping them for CrossClimates as soon as we can afford to.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 2, 2017
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Superb II combi 2.0 tdi cr (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 35,000 average miles
I'm seriously impressed with these tyres.
I had a set of 4 Crossclimates fitted to my superb 20 months ago and have since covered around 35,000 miles. The fronts still have 4mm of tread left on them and there's no sign of the levels of grip diminishing (as a comparison my car (second-hand) came with a virtually brand new set of Goodyear Eagles on it and they lasted for around 15,000 miles.)

They grip well in all conditions and are especially impressive in mud (I do a lot of outdoor sports so am frequently driving on farm tracks and parking in fields).

I'd buy these again without hesitation.
5 - tyre reviewed on August 1, 2017
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Great tyres overall. I have used these tyres for almost 6 months and 15k kms and I habe inly good words ro describe Crossclimate tyres. I live in a very rainy area in the North of Spain and i really took advantage of this model's great performance on wet roads.

To be honest, although i have driven on very cold surfaces with them, i have no experience on snowy roads.

8 - tyre reviewed on June 9, 2017