Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 82 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 802,139 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 All Season VS Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good acceleration and braking on snow, good in the wet, very short dry braking, excellent dry handling
  • Negative - Weak snow handling

2017 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - As good as a summer tyre on dry roads, short wet braking distances, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive, mid pack wet circle result.

2016 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 7 tyres

• Positive - Top marks dry and wet, and very strong in fuel consumption and wear tests
  • Negative - Weak on snow
215/55 R17 98W XL   C A 69
225/55 R17 101W XL   B A 69
215/60 R17 100V XL   B A 69

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

2017-11-05 - Does cross climate have a greater fuel consumption than summer tyres? Because I see mixed user reviews about this but no actual test.

If you look at the 2017 all season tyre test the CrossClimate has a lower fuel use than the summer tyre included in the test.

2018-03-04 - Im considering purchasing some cross climates for my car. However, my car has 14" wheels and I understand that Michelin do not produce the crossclimate+ tyre in 14" sizes. Is there a noticeable difference in durability and performance when worn between the standard crossclimate and the + models? And is there a reason why they do not produce the + model in 14"?

There are minimal differences between the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ versions of the tyre. I would imagine the current lack of + version would indicate it's a low volume size and the moulds have yet to be updated.

2018-03-30 - My current Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres are down to 3mm on the front (rear 6mm). On any kind of light snow/slush the front tyres just spin. Could I fit 2 Cross Climate tyres or shouldn't you mix summer and all season tyres?

It is not advised to fit just two all season tyres, when you do encounter snow or ice the grip imbalance is so high it can cause very dangerous situations.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
293 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate.

Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
Fantastic tyres. Great grip wet and dry and transformed my car from hopeless in the snow to awesome. 15000 miles in and heaps of tread left. I am massively impressed - so much so I have just put a full set on my wife’s car.
0 - tyre reviewed on April 21, 2018
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Mazda 3 2.2D 150 (205/65 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
This is my first impression as I drove only around 3000 miles on those tyres here in Ireland. My mazda 3 has a firm suspension and those tyres soften the ride quite a bit. At beginning it felt strange, you may feel it is too soft, but after a while I just love it. It calms you down and the car feels more like a cruiser, they are also a bit quieter, especially on motorways, very happy with it. Also, as I was changing them just before 'the Best from the East' winter, had a chance to see if they are as good on snow as advertised. I have many years of experience with dedicated winter michelin tyres back in Poland, I can honestly say those crossclimates don't disappoint at all. Had no problems starting and breaking on snow and slush. The conclusion is that perhaps those are the best tyres for the current climate here in Ireland (and UK), they give the best of both summer and winter tyres without the need of changing them every 6 months.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 31, 2018
Trying to pick the BEST tyre possible for your car? Watch this!
Subaru (225/55 R17) on mostly motorways for 18,000 easy going miles
I live in the Scottish Highlands, but the majority of my driving is on the UK motorway network - so for me an All Season Tyre is the best option, shown by the fact that I missed the snow altogether in the 2016/2017 winter, though I had my Subaru Forester shod with the Cross Climates in preparations for it.

I have found the Cross Climates fine in dry and/or cold conditions, with strangely a feeling of a more secure grip in the wet. However this first winter in the snow (2017/2018), I was desperately disappointed with their performance.

My first experience of All Season tyres was when I fitted my Fiat Panda 4 x 4 with Vredestein Quattracs, and I can distinctly remember that it was then that I realised that All Season tyres were the way to go (and I'm pretty sure that I have bored a number of people since then singing the praises of the cross breed tyre). I took a big step up after the Panda to drive a Subaru Outback, and prior to my first winter I fitted it with Falken Euroalls.

This is the reason I am so disappointed with the Cross Climates, and for this review - because there is no way I can lay the blame of my uncomfortness in the snow on the car.

Even a Subaru critic would find it hard to blame a Subaru in winter conditions, but the fact that I felt so comfortable in my Outback/Falken Euroalls, and so uncomfortable in my Forester/Cross Climates means that I will definitely not be buying these tyres in the future.
3 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2018
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Kia Motors ceed (205/55 R16) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Years ago I moved to a rural village I was caught out on my way home in unexpected bad snow. I then switched to a AWD car mainly for the reassurance in snow, icy or wet conditions. Last year I made the switch from diesel but because of the lack of choice in petrol AWD I ended up with front wheel drive only. I put on a set of Cross Climate in November and have just been out in the snow for the first time with these tyres. Wow- they are amazing. My driveway is covered in sheet ice, so slippery I could barely stand. The car pulled away with no wheel spin at all. In the snow I had complete confidence to stop and start off again on hills, again no wheel spin and the car remained in complete control. I have to do two sudden stops when out of control cars slid out of side roads in front of me unable to stop. Without these tyres I would have been hit albeit gently, on both occasions. Quite simply these tyres are amazing in the snow and ice and so good in the dry you would not realise that you are not driving summer tyres.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 2, 2018
Skoda Octavia estate (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
As a taxi driver you will soon recoup the extra cost of these tyres in no time in the cold snap we are having they have enabled me to keep working in rural Cheshire best thing since sliced tread (bread):-) 5 star
2 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018