Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 98 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 1,170,939 miles driven.

Reports

2018 New and Worn Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 17 tyres

2018 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 9th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Lowest wear on test, good in the dry and on icy roads.
  • Negative - Weak on snow.

2017 All Season Tyre Test - 2nd of 12 tyres

• Positive - The Michelin CrossClimate has an excellent all round performance, with a particular strength in the dry and wet.
  • Negative - Average snow handling.
195/55 R15 89V XL   C A 68
215/55 R17 98W XL   C A 69
225/55 R17 101W XL   B A 69
215/60 R17 100V XL   B A 69

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

2017-11-05 - Does cross climate have a greater fuel consumption than summer tyres? Because I see mixed user reviews about this but no actual test.

If you look at the 2017 all season tyre test the CrossClimate has a lower fuel use than the summer tyre included in the test.

2018-03-04 - Im considering purchasing some cross climates for my car. However, my car has 14" wheels and I understand that Michelin do not produce the crossclimate+ tyre in 14" sizes. Is there a noticeable difference in durability and performance when worn between the standard crossclimate and the + models? And is there a reason why they do not produce the + model in 14"?

There are minimal differences between the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ versions of the tyre. I would imagine the current lack of + version would indicate it's a low volume size and the moulds have yet to be updated.

2018-03-30 - My current Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres are down to 3mm on the front (rear 6mm). On any kind of light snow/slush the front tyres just spin. Could I fit 2 Cross Climate tyres or shouldn't you mix summer and all season tyres?

It is not advised to fit just two all season tyres, when you do encounter snow or ice the grip imbalance is so high it can cause very dangerous situations.

2018-06-28 - I'm in a quandary; which would be my best choice? Michelin CrossClimate or Nokian Weatherproof SUV 235/65R17 for a Toyota RAV4?

It depends on your usage plans, however I believe the CrossClimate a better all season tyre for the majority of the UK as the Weatherproof behaves more like a winter tyre in the dry, which gives you extended dry braking.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
377 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate.

Given 84% while driving a Ford Cmax (215/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 12,000 easy going miles
Grip on slushy ice was not as good as grip on fresh snow.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 27, 2019
Given 77% while driving a Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 HDI (90) Sport (195/55 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 20,000 average miles
Have ran the original CrossClimates for a couple of years now up in Cumbria. Wet and dry performance has been great, I don't push the limits but do drive fairly quick when I need to, usually I try to drive as economically as possible. They have worn really evenly across the tread and never really felt like a worn tyre like others usually do as you get below 3mm. Michelin weren't lying about their efforts to maintain performance as the tyre wears, while I'm sure it does change, it doesn't seem like it. They've also been very stable regardless of the temperature.

Saw snow twice, the first time was maybe 1-2 inches down but small FWD estate that was 4-up managed a 13 degree uphill incline covered in snow and slush without too much drama. It wandered laterally a little bit but once it found grip it was away, not bad considering the tread would have been at around 3.5mm at that point in time. The 2nd time with newer tyres, the ol' Beast from the East struck us and our village was cut off for a few days as we'd had over a foot of snow down. Needless to say it caused trouble and even the farmers in their tractors were spinning their drive wheels hunting for grip. The problem was a 2" thick layer of ice sitting underneath all the snow. On day 2 I cleared the snow from around the car and attempted to move it, silly idea that was. Looking back, I don't think anything other than studded tyres would have worked due to the ice, even a metal shovel struggled to break it up.

All in all they have been good tyres, no scary moments to speak of. I agree with many of the test results regarding aquaplaning as it does seem a weakness compared to other tyres I've used in the past and they tend to bounce through deep puddles rather than cut through them. On the open road in heavy rain though I've not had any aquaplaning issues but then most of my driving is very rough country lanes. Which not only harbour endless puddles and potholes but also seem to shred tyres faster than normal. They only had 6mm tread when new which was disappointing, hopefully the CC+ will have improved on this.

1 - tyre reviewed on January 14, 2019
Given 72% while driving a Peugeot 307 (195/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 80,000 easy going miles
These tyres perform really well in dry, and especially they surprised me positively in wet conditions. The ride comfort is ok and they're not noisy. However taking in account that this is, after all, a summer tyre modified for snow and ice, their winter performance is actually not that great. Don't get me wrong, they perform way better than summer tyres on snow, slush and ice but not nearly as well as a good winter tryre. They will get you through mild winter conditions if you drive carefully. However don't expect them to be good in serious and long winter conditions. These tyres will give you about 40-50% winter performance of a real winter tyre. Grip on snow and slush is acceptable, but cornering is really iffy. Since where I live we have about 2-3 months of snowy conditions per year, these tyres are acceptable for me, but if you live in a place where winter is long and conditions are rough, it'd be dumb to use these as winter tyres and expect decent performance.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 10, 2019
Given 100% while driving a CitroŽn DS3 vti120 (205/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 0 spirited miles
This is the first time i have used all season tyres, having previously used winter tyres on a different car, but decided for cost sake and not having to change tyres twice a year, to go for Michelin CrossClimate+ and ehat a revelation these tyres are, all the reviews ive read rave about them, and i whole heartedly agree, they are tremendous on wet roads and feel great on dry roads.

They are quiet in use, but if i was to make one observation they feel a bit like runflats as the side wall seems quite stiff and going over ridges in the road you do feel it more than on some other tyres ive used, but bearing in mind the confidence these tyres give on wet bends and roundabouts this is a minor thing to my mind.

Would i fit these again, absolutely but they're not cheap, but if they last a couple of winters it all evens out.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 17, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Skoda Suberb MkII (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 60,000 average miles
My original CrossClimate tyres were fitted back in late January 2016, I have since done over 60,000 miles/96,560 km in nearly 34 months! They are 205/55/16 size, driven in South of England conditions. We did have a few days of bad snow in places, these tyres got me out and gave me confidence on the road. But they feel like a good summer tyre in the dry and wet which was the main thing! At that mileage in nearly 3 years, longevity is legendary! Ultimately I doubt many tyres will match on longevity which is the reason I will stick to the Michelin CrossClimates. I am looking forward to the Plus model as performance of tyre stays more consistent on wearing, and that is a great thing!
5 - tyre reviewed on November 20, 2018