Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

Tyre review data from 40 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 305,225 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2016 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 7 tyres

• Positive - Top marks dry and wet, and very strong in fuel consumption and wear tests
  • Negative - Weak on snow

2016 AutoBild All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Top performance on dry and wet surfaces, accurate and rapid response to the steering, low wear
  • Negative - Long braking distance on snow
  • Overall - Excellent

2016 GF All Season Tyre Test - 2nd of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good handling, best steering feel and short braking distances on dry surfaces, good handling and short braking distances on wet surfaces
  • Negative - Tendency to understeer in the snow, average traction and relatively long braking distance on snow
195/55 R15 89V XL   C A 68
215/55 R17 98W XL   C A 69
225/55 R17 101W XL   B A 69
215/60 R17 100V XL   B A 69

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

Top Michelin CrossClimate Review

Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
109 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the CrossClimate.

Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9 3 Vector Sport Sportwagon (150) (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 16,000 spirited miles
changing from Michelin pilot sports to these, I didn't expect much difference - but there was. It's almost like these tires were made especially for my car! sure footed, quiet and very long lasting too - the pilot sports were changed twice on the front of what is well known to be a heavy car in 20,000 miles whilst the front tires have done a shade under 16,000 miles and still have life in them yet. I will definitely be putting another set of these onto my car when the time comes.
for larger cars, these are a must - buy with confidence!
1 - tyre reviewed on February 10, 2017
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15 V) on mostly country roads for 7,000 spirited miles
These have been Excellent on cold wet early mornings on Country roads and Dual carriageways, quiet running with minimal wheel spin on quick acceleration from slimy country junctions, Braking is very good on wet and dry roads. will buy again.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 8, 2017
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo V50 estate (205/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 24,784 average miles
Perfect, Nothing better, Outstanding. I work in remote areas and normally have always had a 4x4 jeep or car. I have had two of these on the front of a Volvo V50 and they amazingly good. So much so they have been replaced with the exact same again after trying Sunny 3830 Snowmaster which are horrific.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 5, 2017
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI (225/55 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 40,000 average miles
bought in spring 2015 and still working very well after more than 60.000 km. what is really outstanding is the wear resistance. to be sure I asked a specialist if they are still good and I had a confirmation from this tyres seller. I think I'll change them in spring 2017, after 70000 km. I tried them in all conditions and I confirm the great behavior in dey and wed. Good on Snow also, but I did not test them in intense snow or Ice. Performance have decreased today but still acceptable. I think they are perfect for the region where I live, north east of Italy, where it's quite cold in winter but the snow is occasional in planes, but mountains are near!
1 - tyre reviewed on February 5, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
I'm still using CrossClimate tyres and it's been almost 10.000km so far. They're great tyres in every condition especially if you're living in a city that doesn't get too much snow in winter. I'm living in Istanbul Turkey and although this winter is quite strong than previous years, (we had nearly 50cm snow for a week and temperature is generally below 4 celcius.) Michelin tyres are doing still doing good job. I definitely recommed it. My previous tyres were Michelin Energy Saver+ and I can say that CrossClimate is way better than EnergySaver.

Thank you for your time for reading.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2017