Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

The MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 S is an ultra-high performance tyre which replaces the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport in the range of outstanding tyres from the French manufacturer.

Designed for sports cars and high performance saloons, the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 S offers unparalleled driving pleasure thanks to its exceptional steering precision and directional stability. It provides maximum performance and safety on all surfaces due to its optimised tread footprint which grips the road in all situations, even the most extreme.

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Tyre review data from 36 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 137,800 miles driven.

Reports

2018 Auto Bild 19 inch Summer Tyre Test - 3rd of 6 tyres

• Positive - Dry specialist with sporty dynamic handling, precise steering and good feedback. Balance performance on a wet track, short stopping distances, good ride comfort.
  • Negative - Expensive.

2018 Sport Auto 19 inch UHP and Track Day Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Super sporty and excellent in all dry tests. Excellent feedback, outstanding cornering stability and the best vehicle balance.
  • Negative - Weaker wet traction and average aquaplaning results.

2018 Auto Bild 20 inch UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Test winner with a very balance result. Excellent handling in the wet and dry, precise steering with good feedback, short wet and dry braking distances.
  • Negative - Average comfort, high price.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

2016-10-06 - What sizes does it come in?

A full list of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S launch sizes can be found here.

2017-04-23 - Which are the differences between Michelin pilot sport 4 and Michelin pilot sport 4S?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the larger, more performance orientated version of the Pilot Sport.

2017-10-03 - ust wondering where the directional indicator is on these tyres ? All I can really find is the word "outside" which seems to suggest the tyres can be run on both Left and Right sides of the vehicle.. Is this correct ? I recently had 4 tyres fitted and when I look at the tread pattern from the rear of the vehicle, the outer tread grooves slant up on one side, whilst on the other side they slant downwards.. Just checking to see if this model of Tyre is actually Asymmetrical, and when looking at the tyre pattern from the rear, they should flow in the same direction ? Overall - do Michelin make these tyres in both Left and Right variations ? or only one variation ?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is an asymmetric tyre, and are mounted based on outside and inside. There are slight variations of tread directions when looking at left and right side tyres mounted, but these have no affect on performance.

2018-02-22 - How have people found the 4 and 4S for driving from cold? I have used Asymmetrics 2s which will need replacing soon and would miss the fact that they seem to have the full complement of grip from the first turn of the wheel ,wet or dry. (Car is a B7 RS4).

The warm up of the 4S is incredibly impressive from cold on my M3. It's mentioned in the latest youtube video here

2018-04-23 - I have a 1-year old AMG C63 which will shortly need new tyres all round. After research I would like to fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres all round but they don't come in a size for my rears. My fronts are 255/35 ZR19 and the rears are 285/30 ZR19. Do you think it would be okay to fit Pilot Sport 4S tyres to the fronts and Pilot Super Sport to the rears? Neither tyre comes in both the sizes I need. If it is not a good idea to fit these two types what would you recommend? My car currently has Continental ContiSport Contact 5P all round but these are wearing out so quickly. My annual mileage is about 6 - 7,000 miles of which a number are not done too gently. Thanks for your assistance.

I'd be more inclined to fit the PSS all round (you can get it in your front size) as I find a balanced car key to driving enjoyment. There's sadly no current plans for 285/30 R19 PS4S.

2018-07-22 - what would be the recommended camber angles for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires 235/45/17 for track day use on a rwd car? I know that exact number depends on car suspension etc, but can you please give me the reference point.

Camber angles are so vehicle and application dependant it's almost impossible to give an accurate starting point. As with any performance tyre, using camber and pressures to ensure the tyre is heated evenly is key. My starting point would likely be a little more negative camber than the OE settings and go from there.

2018-08-27 - Will the PS4S be available in 18" in the near future? I'd like to substitute the Potenza S001 on my 147 GTA by the PS4S but they aren't available and I don't want to spend the money in some PSS and that in a few months the release them. Thank you very much

There's no official date for 17 or 18 inch versions of the PS4S in Europe, but there are rumours it is coming! I wouldn't rely on seeing it before 2019.

2018-08-31 - I am driving a 2018 Mercedes E63s sedan. It came with Pirelli P zero tires. Even in comfort mode the car is extremely harsh for ride quality. I am looking to replace them with a set of tires that would give me the best ride quality over everything else. Is there a better soft riding tire for this car than the Michelin pilot sport 4s. Thank you.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is regarding as a very comfortable tyre in certain sizes so worth checking out, but the 4S is the best all round tyre available at the moment.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S Review

Given 100% while driving a BMW M3 (275/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Replaced the Pilot Super Sports on my F80 M3 and it's better in every way. The wet grip is insane, it's like you're driving in the dry. Best tyre on the market.
210 - tyre reviewed on March 9, 2017

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4 S.

Given 99% while driving a BMW m2 (265/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 18,000 spirited miles
The best tyre I've had on my M2
0 - tyre reviewed on February 14, 2019
Given 60% while driving a BMW 730d Sport (275/35 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Excellent dry grip. Good but not amazing wet grip . Excellent road feedback . Sharp handling . But absolutely awful wear. Cant believe the ratings people are giving fpr wear. I can only assume they have only recently got the tyres. Mine were worn out in under 7000 miles and i wasnt driving the car hard. Overall if you jave unlimited money and want the best sports tyre then yes these are excellent . If you are putting these on an everyday car for commuting then think again these are overrated
6 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2019
Given 93% while driving a SEAT Leon Cupra 300ST 4Drive (235/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 1,800 spirited miles
Oh boy... they really make a huge change and it's not just marketing hype. I tested it to the extreme (involuntarily) quickly after buying - emergency braking on dry. I was astonished by the distance the car stopped completely from 140 km/h speed. It doesn't mean that these tires don't excel in other situations. Excellent braking and traction on wet is something very hard to describe. I braked really hard on standing water and ABS didn't kick in... This is just amazing. You just have to feel it. My previous tires were Continental ContiSportContact 5P. I think that Michelins are superior to 5P's in every way. I would say that only dry grip is similar but braking and lateral parameters are better in Michelins. I am the type of driver who really abuses tires. Even though the tread seems to withhold it quite well. They seem to be very durable as well, coping well with B-class roads which is a huge plus to me. Unlike my winter premiums (Pirellis) which brake on every pothole occasion these are really strong.
4 - tyre reviewed on December 14, 2018
Given 93% while driving a BMW 435d (255/30 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 300 spirited miles
Bought the car a year ago with Accelera PHI tyres. They were fine in the dry but frightening in the wet. Now on Michelin pilot sport 4s. Just buy them.....night and day.
10 - tyre reviewed on December 7, 2018
Given 99% while driving a BMW E46 M3 (225/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 13,000 spirited miles
After having an interesting time with the Falken FK452s on the front of my M3 I fitted these not expecting to see much of a difference. How wrong I was.

The difference with these tyres was surprising! They grip hard! As soon as I took the first roundabout I knew the tyres felt much more communicative. The dry grip is superb as far as UHP tyres go, with this greatness not stopping in the wet. Somehow they just grip and girip in the wet!

These have now done 13,000 on the front of my M3, where I've also done a couple of trackdays on it too. The tyres still have plenty of meat left on them. I'd say around 5mm.
9 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2018