Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 134 tyre reviews averaging 86% over 1,391,588 miles driven.

Reports

2019 Auto Bild Sports Car Tyre Test - 4th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good handling in all conditions, highest aquaplaning resistance, good level of comfort.
  • Negative - High price, average lateral stability in the wet.
  • Overall - Exemplary.

2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 20 tyres

• Positive - Best driving dynamics on test, and in the top 3 in almost all tests. Excellent wet and dry handling, low wear.
  • Negative - High purchase price, average rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - 2nd of 45 tyres

225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

2018-05-07 - Hello. My Audi A4 Quattro needs only Front Tyres at the moment. I would like to fit Pilot Sport 4. Do you think these will behave ok with the standard fit Hankook Ventus S1evo2 that are on the back? Thanks

Both tyres are produced within the allowable size guidelines so technically they should work fine together, however it might be worth checking owners forums to be sure.

2018-06-15 - Hi guys! I am using this tyre (Pilot Sport 4) on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe also equipped with B14 Bilstein coilovers... I have 225/40/19 front and 245/40/19 rear... BUT I still haven’t found a proper pressure tyre to set, in order to feel a good feedback and feeling from the car... I feel it not coumicative, and on the fast straight I find a little vagueness in the center if I move left/right of few cm on the steering (with pressure at 2.3 bar) What di you recommend??

Sadly the PS4 is a little vague due to the higher levels of comfort. I can't recommend anything specific, but a small amount of over inflation can help with steering response.

2018-07-31 - I really want PS4"S" for my 18inch E46 M3. BUT they are only 19 inch at the moment right? So given I want decent performance on track, do I go Cup2 or would these non "S" PS4's be ok?

Good news, subscribe to our youtube channel and hit the bell icon as in the next 2 weeks we have a PS4 vs PS4S vs Cup 2 video :)

2018-09-05 - Hey there. I own a '06 Mercedes E550. I just bought a set of lighter 18'' rims and next summer, I want to fit new 245/40 tyres. I only drive 4000kms in the summer, rarely spirited, so wear is not a concern. Yet I demand a good steering response and light weight to make for a more nimble feel of the car. I think I wanna go with the PS4, yet I think about the Falken 510 also. In the past, I regretted fitting mid range tyres. But due to the low miles, and the good test, I feel like giving the 510s a try. Yet I fear that they will be overwhelmed by the weight of the car and the V8 on the front axle. Would you recommend just going with the PS4 or could the 510s be an option?

I'm not sure either the PS4 or FK510 will be the answer to your question, both have quite soft sidewalls. If steering precision is your drive above all else, something like the Vredestein Vorti R might be a good tyre to look into.

2018-10-29 - I going to replace my Jaguer XF3.0 tyre, previously I tried Pzero and Pilot Super sport. could you please comment if I change to PS4 (no S), I'm not an aggressive driver, want maintain the sport feeling but a little more comfort and silent...

The PS4 won't feel as sporty as the Pilot Super Sport, but will certainly more comfortable and quieter and it has excellent wet grip, so would be a good choice for your Jag.

2019-03-18 - Hello! I'm about to replace the Michelin Energy tires on my VW Golf5. I'd like to extract more sportiness and feel out of the car while retaining a solid and safe daily driver with nice comfort and low noise. Aiming for the Pilot Sport 4 or the PremiumContact 6. The Golf is not a sports car but since i dont wear tyres too fast, the price premium is not that much considering the relative small 205/55 R16 size, so both fits within my budget. Which one would you think suit me (or the car) better? I heard a few complaints about the PS4-s behaving jelly-like when pushed. Im aware that a road tyre in this size, no matter the brand, wont give the kind of feedback as a smaller sidewall variant with a bigger wheel would, so that behaviour might still be the same with a PC6-s in the same size. Whats your take on this? Thank you in advance, and keep up the great content!

The differences between the Pilot Sport 4 and PremiumContact 6 are now so small both tyres will be an excellent option if available in your size.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 70% while driving a BMW 650 i convertible (275/35 R19 W) on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
These MPS 4 replaced MPSS on my BMW 6 series, to me these are more of grand touring tyres. They are less noisy, steering is not as responsive, handling is similar but not as good even though the PSS were introduced many years ago. I know the MPSS were replaced by the MPS 4s, but still some praised the MPS 4 when compared to MPSS when they were first introduced.
Talking about the sidewall design, it is dead flat with minimum flange rim protection, this combination makes the tyre look funny and ugly especially since they are on 9" OEM wheels (275 wheel range is 9-11"), the tire is wide at tread and caves in to the rim, also less wider than other same size tyres. I measured the section width on my wheels and they were 260 mm ( they should be minimum of 275 on 9.5" wheels), MPSS measured 280 mm. Going to the front set of 245/40ZR19 on 8.5" wheels these look like bicycle wheels.
In short, these don't look and don't drive like sport tires.
Definitely not buying again.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 18, 2019
Given 76% while driving a Audi A4 3.0 litre TDI S Line Quattro (245/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Never done a tyre review before, but fitted these Michelin Pilot Sort 4 245/40 ZR18 to my 2012 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 tdi quattro, about 18 months and 10,000miles ago. Still plenty of tread ( 4mm ) but oh dear the noise of them now is terrible.It sounds like a dodgy wheel bearing, but my garage have told me that all tyres have stepped on the inner edge ( rub smooth one way and rough in the opposite direction )
The tyres have performed fine prior to this occurring.
Disappointing and I am now considering to either live with it ,or change to possibly the continental contacts.
I would be interested to know of anyone out there has had a similar issue.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 15, 2019
Looking for new tyres? Watch this video now!
Given 60% while driving a Jaguar xf premium luxury (245/40 R19) on mostly motorways for 5,000 average miles
They would be an excellent tyre but as they have only lasted 5000 miles a very costly experience.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/40 R18) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
Replaced potenza s001 with PS4 s noticeably more comfort good grippy tyre
Only thing I don’t like is steering slightly more precise with Bridgestone s other than that I’m impressed
Time will tell
1 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Subaru 2007 Impreza GB270 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Typical Michelin once warm they work very well..wet grip is very good.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 8, 2019