Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Tyre review data from 95 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 382,906 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild Summer SUV Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good performance balance, very good results on dry and wet roads, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Low traction on grass, expensive

2016 Sport Auto UHP Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent overall grip in the wet, high resistance to aquaplaning, good balance in the wet and dry, very low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None noted
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 2nd of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good handling and a short stopping distance on wet and dry surfaces, high lateral stability on wet roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69
255/35 R20 97Y XL   C A 69 11.21kgs
245/40 R20 95Y   E A 71 14.50kgs

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2016-03-24 - Is it true that asymmetric 3 has a smaller rim protection than asymmetric 2?

Just as an update to this question, we have been in contact with Goodyear regarding the rim protection on the Asymmetric 3 and the answer should be with us shortly!

2016-03-24 - When can we expect a test with the pilot sport 4, sport contact 6 and the asymmetric 3?

You're unlikely to see the Sport Contact 6 in a test with the Pilot Sport 4 due to the sizes they're made in, the Continental rivals the Pilot Super Sport.
The best test so far this year is the GTU test, however that missed the Michelin.

2016-04-27 - Is it true the side wall height has increased on the 3 vs the 2?

As with all Goodyear tyres, the Asymmetric 3 is within ETRTO (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) guidelines, which does allow for a small variation on side wall height. Whether the size increases or decreases can depend on the size.

2016-04-26 - Will the 3 be N rated for Porsche, Cayman GTS specifically, like the 2?

A reply from Goodyear - We continuously work with OEM partners to develop OE Marked versions of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the tyre is currently approved on the Jaguar XF (J Marked) and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (MO Marked). The tire will only be N rated if we gain an approval on a Porsche platform.

2016-05-06 - is the goodyear F1 AS3 directional

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is an asymmetric tyre, not directional

2016-05-30 - What does 94y and 98y mean and what is the differance

The 94 and 98 are the load ratings for the Asymmetric 3 tyre. 94 means each tyre is rated to carry 670 kgs, and 98 750 kgs. As a rule of thumb, the high load rating tyre will create slightly more noise, have a slightly harder ride, but will offer a more sporty steering feel.

2016-09-03 - I have Swift Sport 1.6 and I would like to replace my tires with either Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. They are similar but I can't decide. Could you help me ?

Both the latest Dunlop and the Goodyear are extremely similar tyres, you'll be happy with either. We would always side with the Goodyear as we feel longer term the availability would be better.

2016-08-27 - I am about to purchase either Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance or this Asymmetric 3. I think the Efficientgrip is the older design yet has the better fuel efficiency and same wet braking distance. I am surprised by this. It is also cheaper by £10 from Blackcircles. Does the labeling stay consistent such that you can compare older tyer designs against new ones. Why would you buy the Asymmetric 3 over the Efficientgrip? I drive a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0l diesel and do about 22000 miles per year.

The label tests do stay constant. Wet braking is only one performance quality of a tyre, and while it's entirely possible the F1 Asymmetric 3 and EG Performance to have the same wet braking grade, the Asymmetric 3 will have a better balance of overall qualities when you account for wet handling, aquaplaning, dry braking, dry handling etc.

2016-09-16 - I have Lotus Elise s2 sport 135. Its never used on track just occassional road use. Following a blow out on a rear Bridgestone pirenza I am considering replacement tyres with the Goodyear eagle F1 Assyimetric 3. What is your opinion

Sadly we've not yet driven on the Asymmetric 3! One thing to watch out for is that replacing just the rear tyres with the Goodyears could give the car a curious rear-steering feel due to the difference in sidewall strengths between the hard Bridgestone tyres, and the softer Goodyears.

2016-10-16 - I've had the Goodyear asym 2's on my old bmw z4 which were a superb drive although did have to change them fairly often. Now I've got a Toyota gt86 and considering the Goodyear asym 3, Michelin pilot sport 4, or the kumho ku39's? Any advice between them?

The F1 A3 and MPS4 are very closely matched. We've not yet driven them back to back, but would say the F1 A3 would have the slight edge in comfort, and the MPS4 the edge in sporty handling.

2017-01-24 - Where are the Goodyear asy 3 tyres made ?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is made in a variety of locations depending on the size and market.

2017-03-18 - Hello, tell me when choosing tires efficientgrip performance and asymmetric 3 for durability what will be better?

Unfortunately no one has done the test to compare wear data. The treadwear rating of each tyre should give you an indication of which will perform better.

2017-06-08 - I am about to renew the front tyres on my 2014 Ford Focus st. The car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Should I stick with those or go for the Asymmetric 3 tyres.

The Asymmetric 3 is the natural replacement for the Asymmetric 2 so it would make sense to upgrade to the new and improved model.

2018-01-04 - Are these run flat tyres?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 has a runflat option in certain sizes.

2018-03-28 - I have Honda Civic 1.8 8th gen on 225/40/R18 XL. Bridgestone Potenza on front, Michelin PS3 rear. Rears due for replacement soon. I want to improve ride comfort, Thinking of putting Potenzas on rear and new Goodyear Asymmetrical 3 or Pirelli P Zero PS4 on front. Which of these tyres would give best comfort? Is there much difference as far as comfort is concerned between them? Would handling be significantly affected by having stiffer walled Potenzas on the rear, requiring all tyres to be replaced

Personally I would go for the A3, put them on the rear and wear through whatever is left as quickly as possible on the front so I can have 4 matching tyres.

Top Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Review

Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
I previously had the asymmetric 2's whilst my car runs about 280bhp and 450nm of torque and i hardly ever got any wheel spin with them. On the other hand with asymmetric 3's i get a lot more wheel spin so i would definitely not buy them again and I'd stick to tglhe previous ones..
583 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Jaguar XF S (255/35 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Fitted these to my XFS to replace the original manufacturer Dunlop Sport Maxx. They've been on the car for 6 months now, we have 2 XFs the other one was still on Dunlops and it made for an interesting comparison, I've found the Goodyears to be a little grippier in the wet and dry and quieter with slightly improved fuel consumption over 6 months, maybe 1.5mpg better. As we actually had some snow days this past winter I would say that the Goodyears were acceptable if not brilliant in the snow, the Dunlops were really poor in comparison. The wear rate seems slightly higher with the Goodyears which in my experience has always been the case. A good compromise though for better performance. One other thing, the Goodyears have a protruding lip to give greater protection to the rims, if your other half parks as carefully as mine does then this is a real money and rim saver! Would I buy again? I just did.
2 - tyre reviewed on June 12, 2018
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a (225/45 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 3,000 average miles
I really had great expectations from this tyre on the Tesla Model S 85D. It is not that the tyre is not good. On the contrary, it is possibly the best fit for this car. A great all arounder with good dry and wet grip and very good rolling resistance and noise levels. I really cannot find any significant drawback. I just got a little dissapointed that it is rather a solid 8.5/10 everywhere. I would probably buy the Michelin PS4 if I had to choose again, just for the little extra grip. Relative to its price, the ASY3 will surely be in everyone's shortlist in this segment. Cannot evaluate wear yet.
10 - tyre reviewed on May 23, 2018
Looking for the best tyres for your car? Watch this video!
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 130i M (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 15,000 average miles
Masterpiese tyre!
Its name - BALANCE
10 - tyre reviewed on May 1, 2018
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo V40 sport lux (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 6,500 spirited miles
THANK YOU GOODYEAR!!
These tyres does it all!!
From the first drive these tyres are a fantastic blend of high performance and comfort.
In Norway we have some very nasty tarmac and still these UHP gives very good comfort, low noise.
Replaced them from pirelli P7 and the difference is astonishing- especially in the wet and the comfort aspect.
Volvo V40 is a small neutral car with good balance of dynamic and comfort, good weight balance and low weight and of cource as all frontwheel drive cars - just a tad under steer when pushed.
But with the goodyears eagle AS3, 225/45-17 94YXL the grip in both wet and dry is more than you need for spirited driving- within both ethical and physic laws.
And the car does feel neutral most of the time as it should.
The tyres gives you so much confidence when you drive but still you know this is not michelin super sports so with that in mind the safety reserves will always be there.
I have driven in severe rain on a long journey in Sweden, 90 km/h in a pool of water, did not aquaplan.
The car also holds its line very well in both low and high speeds and on all kinds off bad or good tarmac with these Goodyears.

I think the sidewalls in this size feels - yes exactly - not overly stiff and not overly soft. at least in this size 45- low profile.
Some say that the progressiveness at the limit is hard to feel- but I do not agree! you feel maybe, just maybe a little under steer yes -but unless you are going like a mad man in 100 MPH (160 km/h) into a tight corner/bend this is easy to controll, as you feel the sidewalls bend a little bit and the car really does it for you with the stability systems like all new premium cars. I do not drive with stability systems off as I appreciate not crashing into either cars or trees..
The braking is tremendous in both wet and dry- over 10 degrees celsius-!!
Guess there are even more superperformance and track oriented tyres (michelin/contis sport) but they are not as comfortable and quiet, and is"nt that also a safety aspect of driving? the noise level in your car so you do not get tired on long journeys?
This tyre does it all:
If you are looking for a comfortable, well priced tyre that does it all, good performance , safe braking in wet and dry, very good aquaplaning resistance , low noise and very good fuel economy this is a safe pick!
I always ride new tyres so the wear is not a subject for me but after two years, 6500 miles on really bad roads the wear on these tyres seemes really ok.
HIGHLY RECOMENDED
7 - tyre reviewed on April 13, 2018
Given 96% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen 1.8 20vT Sport (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 20 spirited miles
Just bought the tyres but enough to say that they are far better than the Conti Sport Contact 5. Incredible comfort and response. The car goes to where I want immediately. No noise at all. This is the best quality for the price tyre.
14 - tyre reviewed on April 5, 2018

See all 87 customer reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (newest first) >>