Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

This tyre has been replaced by the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Tyre review data from 116 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 835,501 miles driven.

Reports

2018 EVO UUHP Tyre Test - 2nd of 6 tyres

2018 Auto Express Summer Tyre Test - 4th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Well balanced tyre, excellent curved aquaplaning result. Low rolling resistance and quiet.
  • Negative - Poor straight aquaplaning result, average in the wet.

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 5th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good handling in the dry and wet, very safe handling balance.
  • Negative - Relatively long wet braking.
  • Overall - Recommended.
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69
255/35 R20 97Y XL   C A 69 11.21kgs
245/40 R20 95Y   E A 71 14.50kgs

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2016-03-24 - Is it true that asymmetric 3 has a smaller rim protection than asymmetric 2?

Just as an update to this question, we have been in contact with Goodyear regarding the rim protection on the Asymmetric 3 and the answer should be with us shortly!

2016-03-24 - When can we expect a test with the pilot sport 4, sport contact 6 and the asymmetric 3?

You're unlikely to see the Sport Contact 6 in a test with the Pilot Sport 4 due to the sizes they're made in, the Continental rivals the Pilot Super Sport.
The best test so far this year is the GTU test, however that missed the Michelin.

2016-04-27 - Is it true the side wall height has increased on the 3 vs the 2?

As with all Goodyear tyres, the Asymmetric 3 is within ETRTO (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) guidelines, which does allow for a small variation on side wall height. Whether the size increases or decreases can depend on the size.

2016-04-26 - Will the 3 be N rated for Porsche, Cayman GTS specifically, like the 2?

A reply from Goodyear - We continuously work with OEM partners to develop OE Marked versions of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the tyre is currently approved on the Jaguar XF (J Marked) and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (MO Marked). The tire will only be N rated if we gain an approval on a Porsche platform.

2016-05-06 - is the goodyear F1 AS3 directional

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is an asymmetric tyre, not directional

2016-05-30 - What does 94y and 98y mean and what is the differance

The 94 and 98 are the load ratings for the Asymmetric 3 tyre. 94 means each tyre is rated to carry 670 kgs, and 98 750 kgs. As a rule of thumb, the high load rating tyre will create slightly more noise, have a slightly harder ride, but will offer a more sporty steering feel.

2016-09-03 - I have Swift Sport 1.6 and I would like to replace my tires with either Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. They are similar but I can't decide. Could you help me ?

Both the latest Dunlop and the Goodyear are extremely similar tyres, you'll be happy with either. We would always side with the Goodyear as we feel longer term the availability would be better.

2016-08-27 - I am about to purchase either Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance or this Asymmetric 3. I think the Efficientgrip is the older design yet has the better fuel efficiency and same wet braking distance. I am surprised by this. It is also cheaper by £10 from Blackcircles. Does the labeling stay consistent such that you can compare older tyer designs against new ones. Why would you buy the Asymmetric 3 over the Efficientgrip? I drive a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0l diesel and do about 22000 miles per year.

The label tests do stay constant. Wet braking is only one performance quality of a tyre, and while it's entirely possible the F1 Asymmetric 3 and EG Performance to have the same wet braking grade, the Asymmetric 3 will have a better balance of overall qualities when you account for wet handling, aquaplaning, dry braking, dry handling etc.

2016-09-16 - I have Lotus Elise s2 sport 135. Its never used on track just occassional road use. Following a blow out on a rear Bridgestone pirenza I am considering replacement tyres with the Goodyear eagle F1 Assyimetric 3. What is your opinion

Sadly we've not yet driven on the Asymmetric 3! One thing to watch out for is that replacing just the rear tyres with the Goodyears could give the car a curious rear-steering feel due to the difference in sidewall strengths between the hard Bridgestone tyres, and the softer Goodyears.

2016-10-16 - I've had the Goodyear asym 2's on my old bmw z4 which were a superb drive although did have to change them fairly often. Now I've got a Toyota gt86 and considering the Goodyear asym 3, Michelin pilot sport 4, or the kumho ku39's? Any advice between them?

The F1 A3 and MPS4 are very closely matched. We've not yet driven them back to back, but would say the F1 A3 would have the slight edge in comfort, and the MPS4 the edge in sporty handling.

2017-01-24 - Where are the Goodyear asy 3 tyres made ?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is made in a variety of locations depending on the size and market.

2017-03-18 - Hello, tell me when choosing tires efficientgrip performance and asymmetric 3 for durability what will be better?

Unfortunately no one has done the test to compare wear data. The treadwear rating of each tyre should give you an indication of which will perform better.

2017-06-08 - I am about to renew the front tyres on my 2014 Ford Focus st. The car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Should I stick with those or go for the Asymmetric 3 tyres.

The Asymmetric 3 is the natural replacement for the Asymmetric 2 so it would make sense to upgrade to the new and improved model.

2018-01-04 - Are these run flat tyres?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 has a runflat option in certain sizes.

2018-03-28 - I have Honda Civic 1.8 8th gen on 225/40/R18 XL. Bridgestone Potenza on front, Michelin PS3 rear. Rears due for replacement soon. I want to improve ride comfort, Thinking of putting Potenzas on rear and new Goodyear Asymmetrical 3 or Pirelli P Zero PS4 on front. Which of these tyres would give best comfort? Is there much difference as far as comfort is concerned between them? Would handling be significantly affected by having stiffer walled Potenzas on the rear, requiring all tyres to be replaced

Personally I would go for the A3, put them on the rear and wear through whatever is left as quickly as possible on the front so I can have 4 matching tyres.

2018-12-27 - Hi I'm from Australia and have a BMW F20 125i M Sport on 18 " Bridgestone Potenza RFT that need replacing- I'm thinking of changing to non-RFT (plus repair kit) due to NVH/ride issues (especially on our roads) 1. My local tyre place suggests non-RF Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3- as first line on the drivers door sill plate reads '225/40 R 18 92 M&S XL' and according to him the G/Ys are only ones rated as 'extra load'. Do you think this is the best tyre to reduce NVH and improve ride (I don't mind the trade-off) 2. Another dealer stated that the XL isn't as important as the '92' load rating which opens the options to range of other tyres e.g. Pirelli P Zeros; Continentals; Michelin PSS. Is this correct, and if so which would you choose if the priority is to reduce NVH and improve ride? Many thanks Andrew

Your dealer is correct, the 92 is the important part, not XL. Many people switch from the runflats to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and speak extremely positive of the improvements they bring.

Top Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Review

Given 63% while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
I previously had the asymmetric 2's whilst my car runs about 280bhp and 450nm of torque and i hardly ever got any wheel spin with them. On the other hand with asymmetric 3's i get a lot more wheel spin so i would definitely not buy them again and I'd stick to tglhe previous ones..
667 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Alfa Romeo (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 900 average miles
New tyres for my Giulietta, bought on January 8th. Almost 1.600 km up today. What I have noticed so far, apart from the excellent dry and wet grip, is the fact that I only hear the lovely sound of Alfa Romeo motor and nothing else from the road!!!
2 - tyre reviewed on February 13, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Hyundai i30 SR Premium 1.6 turbo (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 400 average miles
I bought a brand new 2018 Hyundai i30 SR Premium 1.6 turbo with 7-speed DCT transmission. Absolutely fabulous car except for the crap Hankook 225/40R18 tyres which came as standard, so the first thing I did was to do a lot of research to find a better tyre. I already had experience with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres in 245/45R18 on my previous car and even though they were a fabulous tyre, I felt I needed a change. The Asymmetric 3 tyres kept appearing in reviews as being a very good tyre, and so, with much thought, I decided to buy them. At first I was very disappointed with them. They simply didn't seem to suit the car. Their side walls felt too soft during hard cornering, so I started experimenting with tyre pressures. In the meantime, I had travelled about 200kms on them and while the vehicle manufacturer recommended 33psi all around, this pressure in the Asymmetric 3 tyres just didn't appear to be enough, so I started at 38psi and worked down from there. 38psi was too hard, although definitely improved the tyre's performance. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found out two things about these tyres. 1) They take a very long time to settle and bed themselves in - somewhere between 200 and 500kms, believe it or not. 2) The best pressure with a good balance of ride comfort, low noise and dynamic performance was found to be 35 to 36psi, but this "goldilocks" pressure didn't make itself totally obvious until the tyres had totally bedded in. Now though, after doing about 600kms on them I can confidently say that this really is a brilliant tyre. Not quite as quiet as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on some surfaces, and yet quieter than the PS4's on other surfaces. I know, it's really strange, but I'll put up with occasional noise that they make and just enjoy how they have transferred my car for the better. They have definitely increased the fun factor of driving my car. Just take the time to bed them in before you objectively and subjectively judge them. You won't regret it...
3 - tyre reviewed on February 5, 2019
Given 76% while driving a Volkswagen Tiuan R Line (255/40 R19 W) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
The noise over sertian b-roads are too noisy to me. However, mnay drivers have commended thos tyre for the low noise which I don't understand why. I am still looking for a quieter tyre than this one.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 31, 2019

See all 103 customer reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (newest first) >>