Nokian PowerProof

The Nokian PowerProof is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian zLine

Tyre review data from 7 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 12,670 miles driven.

Reports

2020 Tyre Market Overview Braking Test - 2nd of 49 tyres

2020 UHP, UUHP and Track Day Tyre Test - 3rd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good braking performance, well rounded balance in the dry and wet, very low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Reduced wet grip and aquaplaning resistance, average comfort.
  • Overall - A good mid-range summer tyre with slight weakness in the wet.

2020 AMS 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 7th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good dry handling, short dry braking, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Not very precise handling in the wet, average wet braking, weak aquaplaning resistance, high noise.
  • Overall - Good - A mid-range summer tyre with only slight weaknesses.
215/40 R17 87W   C A 69
255/45 R19 104Y   B A 72
255/35 R20 97Y   C A 72
275/35 R20 102Y   C A 72
245/40 R20 99Y   C A 72
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian PowerProof. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Nokian PowerProof Review

Given 77% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (235/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 300 spirited miles
Fitted them to my Megane 3 rs with 322hp. It is my daily car so I wanted tyres in the UHP range like Michelin PS4. Since I am very positive about the Nokian winter tyres, I wanted to try the Powerproof's as they claim in to be UHP and a PS4 competitor. When I bought them no tests or reviews were placed on the internet.

First of all: this is not as good as the Michelin PS4 and PS4s which I had both the Megane. Not as precise and direct. Also, full throttle in second gear comes with quite some wheel spin. I did not have that with the PS4S's.

It does not give me that confidence as the Michelin's but maybe I have to "read" the tyres better and learn how to push them.

The pro's are more comfort and less noise.

Overall: very good tyre but I don't recommend these if you do a lot of spirited driving or track days. Great for all day though!
54 - tyre reviewed on February 15, 2019

Latest Nokian PowerProof Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian PowerProof tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nokian PowerProof? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nokian PowerProof >>

Given 91% while driving a Mercedes Benz C300 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 4,070 spirited miles
I bought these tires for my 2012 Mercedes C300 4MATIC Sport. It's the first time I buy Nokian Tires as they were highly recommended by the tire shop I deal with. So far, their dry and wet performance has been great and the car's handling is definitely superior to the Continental OEM tires it came with. I'm really happy with them especially with the tread depth indicator (3 to 8 mm) that comes engraved on them. After 6,550 km on them, the 8 mm tread depth indicator disappeared meaning 1 mm wore out. If the wear is linear and I extend it to 4 mm which is when the droplet symbol disappears meaning an increased risk of aquaplaning, then my calculations say that this will happen at the 26,000 km mark; which I think would be too much wear and they wouldn't last long. The full 8 mm would be gone by 52,000 km. Maybe this is normal because they're a soft compound, but I was hoping they'd last a bit more. I will update this review as time goes, but again I am very happy with their performance.
12 - tyre reviewed on April 5, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Skoda Octavia vRS (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
Very good grip on wet and dry. Noise level is low and the comfort great. I recomend these tires.
5 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2020
Want the best tyre for real world driving? Watch this!
Given 88% while driving a Subaru Forester sti (235/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 6,000 spirited miles
When these landed the first thing I noticed was the really wide grooves, 2mm wider than the previous Z-Lines, the only grooves I'd seen anything like this wide were on Michelin PS4's - what was the dry grip going to be like I wondered? Then a bit of poking showed that the sidewalls were definitely more flexible than the previous tyres - :rolleyes: Anyway I needn't have worried about the grip, as the guys in Finland have obviously working hard to improve their rubber. It's superb, dry and wet - I've never managed to unstick them in the slightest, I think you'd need to take them onto a racetrack for that as it would involve speed/manouvres that really aren't meant for public roads, hence the N/A rating for how progressive they are at the limit. The softness of the sidewalls is noticeable though, you get the slightly odd feeling that the tread is welded to the road and the car is moving a bit on top of that. Upping the pressure a few psi helps with this, but doesn't altogether remove it. Steering feel/response is very good, the extra tread grip compared to the previous tyres gives a sharper turn in and more focused road feedback, though this is slightly spoiled by the soft sidewalls. And they're quieter and more comfortable than the Z-lines too, though if you're driving a car like the FSti that's likely a secondary consideration!
Will I buy them again - probably, unless Nokian do what they ought to and make a version with stiffer sidewalls - after all they have the Wetproof for general high powered cars, why not make the Powerproof for those of us who really want to DRIVE?
1 - tyre reviewed on November 8, 2019
Volvo V50 T5 (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 1,200 spirited miles
In my opinion superior to Contintental ContiSportContact 5, Michelin PS3 and Toyo Proxes T1 Sport, on dry roads!

And in the wet / rain, well, these tyres are hands down the best I've ever experienced during my 20 years of driving.

I do warm up my engine and transmission at least 20 minutes, so I haven't felt the need to test them when they're cold. But they don't feel as hard as my other 18" tyres did (mentioned above).

I haven't noticed any fading in grip whatsoever when warm.

Braking, quick narrow corners and accelerating all put a smile on my face every single time. Very progressive grip, very comfortable.

Road noise was initially a bit high, but now 1000 miles later they are super quiet and comfortable. Amazing grip when accelerating hard from tight corners.
In the rain you are the master at the highway. These tires make me confident enoug to go into each corner equally fast on wet roads as I would on dry roads.

My wheels are 8J wide and these are providing excellent curb protection. New thread depth is 8mm. Much better experience than my previous not so grippy, loud, uncomfortable wearing like crazy Continental tyres, which only had 6.8mm when new.
So far the Nokians haven't worn away the 8mm indicator.

Truly a high quality product, and if Mika Häkkinen would review these tyres he would use the word "yes" and nothing else.
15 - tyre reviewed on April 4, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Skoda Octavia (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Combined drive in Macedonia. Wet and dry grip superb. Makes me feel confident. Soft comfortable drive feeling. Far better compared to my previous set of pirelli. Would definitly recomend them. Hope they'll be just as good in wear, since that it's still early to say.
7 - tyre reviewed on March 30, 2019