Maxxis Premitra HP5

Maxxis Premitra HP5 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 90% while driving a Peugeot 407 4 door sedan 2.0 petrol (205/60 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 45,000 average miles
By the price compare to its performance and durability, I feel this tire sort of underrated at many aspects. I am very satisfied and will place again
8 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2019
Given 24% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk5 (195/65 R17) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Without a doubt the worst tyres I’ve ever had. I usually run Avon’s but when they’ve been in short supply I’ve used unknown budget ones - I recently went from
Budget ones to these maxxis and they were notably much worse. Wet grip fairly problematic , handling poor but worst of all they did less than 10000 miles (9 months ) before running to cords.
Will never ever buy Maxxis again
4 - tyre reviewed on October 20, 2019
Given 76% while driving a Ford S Max (245/45 R18 V) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Not at all bad tyres for the price. Paid £400 for 4 when I was in a pinch, been pleasantly surprised since. Can be pushed and are quite progressive. When they do let go it's nice and controllable. Traction is not so good, let go quite readily in 2nd and sometimes 3rd in the wet (remapped 170 bhp 450nm, 1.7 tonne people carrier - I'm sure on a smaller car they'd be better). Dry handling is good, wet is sure but not amazing. Wet braking however is pretty impressive. All in all a very good tyre the price. Seem to wearing quite well to boot!
2 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2019
Given 27% while driving a Citron DS5 2.0 Hdi (235/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 12 average miles
Great for the first 6,000 miles or so, then it got cold... In anything less than 3 degrees ambient, they grip then slip - Most noticably on full lock. More so than I have ever noticed or seen with others, it's really weird. Almost completely worn at 12,500 miles on the front (front wheel drive), and the single one on the back is about half worn - Even on the back. Most disturbingly they have a lot of cracks in the tread, and the edges of the tread looks ragged and shredded in places. Fortunately it's now summer again so atleast they've gone away from being ditchfinders until I get a chance to replace them.

Always given regular air if they needed it, and not used any nasty chemicals whilst cleaning the wheels. Just not really the mid-range tyre they are advertised as unfortunately.

Paid £78 a corner on offer. Could be worse for a years' use I guess.
5 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2019
Opel (205/55 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 8,700 average miles
in the highway the tyre is perfect but, when you reach a bit damaged surface of the road you feel like you hit a stone. its very stiffnes in high speed.They have very nice hadling in the mid speed (usually they go with 40km, in 60km the car slip 100% and with this tyre i can reach 50km without problem and i can go more) and aggressive cornering. in 14.000 kilometers its about 50% wear at back tyres but i got camper on it.
6 - tyre reviewed on March 22, 2019
Given 43% while driving a SEAT Leon 2.0 TFSI (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Good grip in the dry, but not great grip in the wet. They are not ditchfinders like some budget tyres in the fact that they won't throw you off the road a the sight of a wet roundabout, but they still spin up easily or make the car understeer when moderately provoked. My other car is fitted with Goodyear Eagle f1 Assymetric 3's which are leagues better.
4 - tyre reviewed on December 1, 2018
Given 60% while driving a Ford Mondeo TDCI (205/55 R16 R) on a combination of roads for 2,500 average miles
Mondeo front tyres bought 30/05/2018 will last approx.3000 miles . Very dissapointing
16 - tyre reviewed on October 30, 2018
Given 73% while driving a Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2012 (205/60 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
Maxxis HP5 is good in the wet. I suppose it can be used for 40000~45000km.
It's a high cost/performance tire.

1 - tyre reviewed on October 9, 2018
Given 71% while driving a Vauxhall Vectra (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 9,500 average miles
Bought these at a £60 a corner, which at this size (215/55R16) is a bargain price.
Pros & neutral: The tyres grip very nicely, whether in dry or wet. Handling, while not as good as straight braking, is good and sure. Noise is on par with than any other tyre I remember (and I used mostly premium tyres so far), comfort is fine. Road feedback is fine, as well as progressiveness (for most of their life), and they were quite resistant to aquaplanning. One thing worth mentioning is they bring about a little steering numbness on straight when driving at speed - but that can be an advantage on a motorway, depending how you look at it. I have to say they are better and cheaper than the Avon ZV7s I had before.
Cons: The wear and how they behave at the end of their life.
I've been driving my car, a Vectra diesel, for the last 9 years and from that I know that, with its big lump and torque, it EATS tyres on the front axle like there is no tomorrow. However, after 9500 miles one of the tyres is at the wear mark, which, even taking into account the above, is poor.
The other issue is that upon reaching 2mm thread depth these tyres started losing grip on handling (but not braking) at the slightest sign of dampness. With ease, without warning and any progression, which makes them downright dangerous.
So, to sum it up: good tyres, unexpectedly enjoyable to drive, but wear fast and once 80% worn, they suddenly become terrible, so best if changed early. Whether I would buy again or not depends on whether I could find them at the price I got them last year.
2 - tyre reviewed on June 7, 2018
Given 78% while driving a Saab Automobile 2.0T (210bhp) (215/55 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 20 average miles
David Burford of Saabtech recommended these tyres to me. My Saab 95 had recently passed its MOT, but I got it in my head to change the Michelin Primacy on the rear and Dunlop Sport Bluresponse on the front. I read the reviews on the Maxxis HP5 manufactured by the 9th biggest tyre company in the world, China's Cheng Shin Tyre Company. With reference to whether the wear of the tyre justifies the cost, my review is this: new budget tyres are much better than worn premium tyres. I won't comment on the highly subjective personal ratings, but point out this tyre is A rated for wet grip, C rated for fuel economy, and certified 70db for noise. Saabtech fit the tyre, balanced and disposal of the old tyre for 55 pounds a corner. Well worth it, I'd say.
11 - tyre reviewed on May 27, 2018