Nankang AS1

Nankang AS1 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 84% while driving a Audi A8 (265/40 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Fitted to front axle of S8 and so far used only in dry warm or damp warm conditions but reasonably impressed. S8's handling dynamics are very stable and safe to start with and have not had to test braking distances yet but overall good experience so far with comfort, noise levels and handling.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 5, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Citron 1.0 petrol (165/60 R14 V) on track for 2,000 spirited miles
We use the AS1 as a designated tyre for the Citroen c1 race series, yes you heard correctly , a c1!!
They are put through 24 hr races and I can only say I’m amazed at the grip in both wet and dry conditions, I was always a bit of a brand snob but now will be using nankangs on all my road cars as well!
Didn’t really notice road noise but grip and wear rate is fantastic!
1 - tyre reviewed on January 6, 2019
Given 31% while driving a Mazda Bongo Friendee (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 300 easy going miles
Bought four of these tryes and had wheel and car vibration at 60 mph.
Went back the where I bought the tyres from and they rebalanced the front wheels and it was still no good.
I then after a few weeks of getting my cars suspension checked out all of which were good.
I then went to our local Honda dealer and they checked the tyres again and they found that two tyres were out of round and not balancedable.
In effect no good at all.
Won't by them or recommend them to anyone'...
5 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2017
Given 93% while driving a Rover Mini (215/45 R13) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I drive a classic mini and normally run Yoko A539's but was urgently in need of two tyres to get through a MOT. With budget in mind, I tentatively purchased two AS1's @ £31 a tyre delivered (a little over the cost of 1 Yoko), result! Now I normally drive quite spiritedly ;-) but was initially cautious with these tyres. My first outing was on a 200+ mile club run along many B roads. Starting out, I soon realised these tyres were a lot more capable than I thought. In fact, I would say they are equally as good as the Yoko's. Road feedback is good, there's a little sliding around corners (when I'm really harsh) but it adds to the fun and they've never let go. Wet driving requires a little more attention but none less than the Yoko's ever needed. I'm no longer a brand snob and I am no a brand advocate for the AS1's in a 13". Will buy again! :-)
57 - tyre reviewed on July 15, 2015
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen (175/50 R13) on track for 0 spirited miles
excellent tyre, handeling on dry, and on wet. Most off time used on track. descending fast, but it's worth it. maybe if drive nat so aggressively, then tyre life time, will be longer.
two tyre sets of driven, and buy again
8 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2015
Given 87% while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport (235/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
Got tired (geddit?) of paying close to £200 each for 235/40 R19 tyres that didn't last, so having read reviews put a full set of these on.

Very impressed. Not had any reason to doubt wet or dry grip, one emergency stop on a motorway with them on and they performed flawlessly.

Fairly quiet, comfortable, and have already lasted twice (yes, twice) as long as the Dunlop Sport MAXX that I had before, with plenty of life left.

Can't recommend enough.
16 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2015
Given 78% while driving a Audi Q7 (295/35 R21 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
Very good tyres for the price compared to premium tyres. I originally had Michelin tyres, which were good but cost double the price and replaced all 4 tyres to Nankang AS1. Let's face it I am not going to be rally racing to notice the minor performance or braking benefits. Fuel efficiency made little or no difference compared to the saving of 1 new tyre let alone 2 new tyres. The wear is excellent, I have 3mm tread on all 4 tyres after 1 year 4 months and approx 10000 miles on motorway, tarmac road. Road noise is slightly more but cannot really tell on an SUV 4x4. Wet and Snow grip is not as good as premium tyres, but unless your driving in these conditions are the same as in dry then should not be an issue. Would I buy again yes.
5 - tyre reviewed on December 6, 2014
Given 73% while driving a Infiniti G37 (225/55 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 32,000 average miles
Good grip on dry, but wet grip is not so good. Very inexpensive and last long. A bit noisy when worn.
10 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2014
Given 37% while driving a BMW Z4 (255/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
These tires were the cheapest options for the Z4 with the staggered (225/255 front/rear) size and the dealer where the vehicle was purchased from put them on in 2010 ($90 front, $110 rear). For regular day to day driving they are a decent tire although they are noisy. However, once the smallest amount of rain hits the pavement they are outright DANGEROUS. The slightest throttle input on intersections from a stop gets the back-end out atleast 10-15cm before you can realize and correct. Although they are supposed to be an all season tire, there is no way these tires would take even the smallest amount of snow in southern Ontario. The Z4 is parked in the winter so I have not had a chance to test them out in the snow. It is safe to say that I would not be getting them again, especially since there are many options that are only slightly more expensive. You get what you pay for.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2013
Given 81% while driving a Alfa Romeo 159 (245/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Had a sey of these after needing 4 tyres. Replacements for my Bridgestone Potenza's were £260 per tyre. The AS1's were £93.
Although the bridgestones were a better tyre, they were not £160+ better and I would definately but these again.
3 - tyre reviewed on December 17, 2012