Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3 Reviews (newest first) - Page 2

Given 90% while driving a Toyota Verso S (195/50 R15) on for 0 miles
Only tyre brand that maintains damp grip all the way down to the thread limiter and possibly beyond. Comfort over sporty at my profile.
7 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2018
Given 77% while driving a Ford 05 Mondeo 185 (modded) diesel (195/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Iv had 2 sets of these PS3s now, one set on a Ford Fiesta mk6 1.242 and the other on a Ford Fiesta mk6 1.6tdci. These cars arent fast but fun and great to drive. The PS3s have always been amazing in all dry and wet conditions. The wet grip is amazing and compared to some other brands iv used it almost turns wet roads dry.
8 - tyre reviewed on September 2, 2018
Given 41% while driving a Ford Focus ST250 (235/35 R19 W) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
.. not friendly tyre if you have a sport hothatch. PS4 is 1000 times better.
15 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2018
Given 97% while driving a Ford Focus mk2 (205/55 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 60,000 easy going miles
These were fitted after BR Turanza ER30. Bought for 75€ / tyre in 2014.
Grip on the dry surface was perfect and handling/feedback awesome. I made with this set even 60.000km in 5 Seasons. Ok, the residual tread has finished on markers. However, wear is upon driving style dependent. They are noisy almost same as ER30.
Now I bought Dunlop Sport Maxx RT because successor PS 4 is from my point of view expensive and PS3 was no more available. The first impression comparing with PS3:
- they are not noisy such as PS3, noise reduction is noticable.
- side walls are softer and this have impact on handling (subjective: rear side of car have tensions to swimming if you change direction suddenly. ) Dispite to this feeling, they keep you on track.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 1, 2018
Given 77% while driving a Audi A6 S line, LeMans 2.0 TDi 170 (255/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
Had new Continentals AO before I went for The Pilot Sport 3 but they only lasted about 15,000 miles on the front on my Audi A6 and about 28,000 on the rear. Can confirm that the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 have lasted 25,000 miles on the front and an incredible 47,000 miles on the the rear and still have 1mm left on the rear before I go illegal. Maybe I could of swopped the front for the rear at about 20,000 but didn't. That said I am going onto the Pilot sport 4 and hoping for more longevity as my past experience with Michelin is all about Longevity. Forget all that wet and dry braking stuff, no average driving can fully be accurate on this subjectivity. But hard facts on millage...now thats something we can all accurately report on. I know they could make a tyre that could last for 100,000 miles but where would the profit be in that? Proving Michelin use a compound better and longer lasting than any other.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 7, 2018
Given 86% while driving a Honda 1.8 iVTEC Es (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Tyres came with Honda Civic 2010 1.8 petrol. 225/40/R18 XL Y. I was completely amazed at how tactile these tyres were. They communicated everything that was happening, the steering felt precise and direct. While traveling on motorways the car felt very stable and secure. I couldn't believe how good the tyres were.
Dry grip was brilliant as was handling, grip in wet also very good although being older and wiser I never tried to imitate Ayrton Senna! But equally in the wet the car never slid unless I purposely pushed it and then the tyres let you know in good time when they were starting to lose grip.
However, 8th Gen Civic's do have firm suspension, the one big negative of the tyres was the harsh ride. The tyres would crash loudly over poor road surfaces and didn't cushion the ride at all. Brilliant on good, flat roads, poor on imperfect road surfaces. I had the fronts replaced by Potenzas S001, the ride is still quite harsh, but not quite so severe, maybe 30% improvement, grip levels similar but only half the tactile feedback now.
One caveat to remember is the Civic's ride is known to be firm and rims are size 18 and both tyres reinforced. I would definitely buy Michelin again, and would get the latest PS4, but not while I have the Civic. I plan to replace all tyres with either Continental Premium Contact 6 or Goodyear Asymmetric 3s in the near future. I suspect PS4s probably have good comfort as well as their other test winning attributes, however the main focus on my next purchase will be ride comfort as the roads where I live are pretty poor.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 1, 2018
Given 57% while driving a Mercedes Benz C250 2012 (255/35 R19 W) on mostly town for 1,118 average miles
I'm a Malaysian driver driven on PS 3 for quite awhile. I'm somewhat disappointed on the PS3. It is not made for rough roads especially in the place i live in finding a perfect stretch of road is just though luck. In about a year I've blown 2 sets of tires simply due to potholes and its been costing me a lot of money. On rough unpaved roads the tires get chipped out like crazy due to soft tire compound or sth. In conclusion, PS3 is an amazing tire for speeding on highways but if you live in a place where road quality is just horrible or on unpaved roads just stay away from these tyres.
16 - tyre reviewed on March 24, 2018
Given 97% while driving a Honda Civic 1.8 (225/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Outstanding performance with awesome road grip both in dry and wet conditions. Sharp cornering while max stabilization at high speed, thanks to the stronger side wall. Comfertable with low noise level. Nice fuel economy. Would definitely recommend for an excellent driving experience.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2018
Given 51% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 350 (245/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Mercedes 2009 Model SLK 350, Rear 245/40/17 Front 225/45/17.
Previous tires, Continental Sport 3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.
Positive sides for the Michelin are slightly better comfort and slightly lower noise level compared to previous tire brands.
For everyday normal driving I appreciate the slightly improved comfort, it is noticeable better.
Very little experience in the wet, they do seem to be acceptable but not more than that, the Michelin's do loose grip fast and early in wet corners/turns and I am not convinced in heavy rain, these Michelin's have a somewhat strange and unsafe feeling.
Dry grip is not what I expected, slightly less stable at high speeds, a "heavy" and "clumsy" steering feel and in general these Michelin tires makes my MB feel more like a truck than a sports-car.
The other tire brands, especially the Continentals, had a "light" and "agile" feeling, it is a huge disappointment to push these Michelin tires in any way.
In corners and in sharp turns these Michelin tires are "weird", they loose grip early and it is a slightly shaky/wobbly/tottering feeling at the limits, these Michelin tires do not feel safe at limits.
With the Continentals I felt 100% safe at Maximum speed, 250 km/h, I tried once with the Michelin's and I will never do that again, the Michelin's are a little bit "weird" and don't inspire me to push them.
To rule out any technical problem with the car my garage generously let me try some Continental Sport 5 and it was a rather huge difference, with the Continentals 5 it was 100% stable at high speeds, very grippy in corners/sharp turns, not a sign of wobbling or shaking.
The wear is about the same as the other brands, not very good but acceptable for this type of car.
I used to be a Michelin fan however these tires are a disappointment and I will not buy again, strangely I feel the same with other cars I recently have driven with new Michelin tires, it seems that nowadays other brands are noticeable/significantly better in almost every way, maybe with exception of comfort.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 14, 2018