Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Tyre review data from 76 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 269,536 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild Summer SUV Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good performance balance, very good results on dry and wet roads, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Low traction on grass, expensive

2016 Sport Auto UHP Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent overall grip in the wet, high resistance to aquaplaning, good balance in the wet and dry, very low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None noted
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 2nd of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good handling and a short stopping distance on wet and dry surfaces, high lateral stability on wet roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69
255/35 R20 97Y XL   C A 69 11.21kgs
245/40 R20 95Y   E A 71 14.50kgs

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2016-03-24 - Is it true that asymmetric 3 has a smaller rim protection than asymmetric 2?

Just as an update to this question, we have been in contact with Goodyear regarding the rim protection on the Asymmetric 3 and the answer should be with us shortly!

2016-03-24 - When can we expect a test with the pilot sport 4, sport contact 6 and the asymmetric 3?

You're unlikely to see the Sport Contact 6 in a test with the Pilot Sport 4 due to the sizes they're made in, the Continental rivals the Pilot Super Sport.
The best test so far this year is the GTU test, however that missed the Michelin.

2016-04-27 - Is it true the side wall height has increased on the 3 vs the 2?

As with all Goodyear tyres, the Asymmetric 3 is within ETRTO (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) guidelines, which does allow for a small variation on side wall height. Whether the size increases or decreases can depend on the size.

2016-04-26 - Will the 3 be N rated for Porsche, Cayman GTS specifically, like the 2?

A reply from Goodyear - We continuously work with OEM partners to develop OE Marked versions of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the tyre is currently approved on the Jaguar XF (J Marked) and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (MO Marked). The tire will only be N rated if we gain an approval on a Porsche platform.

2016-05-06 - is the goodyear F1 AS3 directional

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is an asymmetric tyre, not directional

2016-05-30 - What does 94y and 98y mean and what is the differance

The 94 and 98 are the load ratings for the Asymmetric 3 tyre. 94 means each tyre is rated to carry 670 kgs, and 98 750 kgs. As a rule of thumb, the high load rating tyre will create slightly more noise, have a slightly harder ride, but will offer a more sporty steering feel.

2016-09-03 - I have Swift Sport 1.6 and I would like to replace my tires with either Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. They are similar but I can't decide. Could you help me ?

Both the latest Dunlop and the Goodyear are extremely similar tyres, you'll be happy with either. We would always side with the Goodyear as we feel longer term the availability would be better.

2016-08-27 - I am about to purchase either Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance or this Asymmetric 3. I think the Efficientgrip is the older design yet has the better fuel efficiency and same wet braking distance. I am surprised by this. It is also cheaper by £10 from Blackcircles. Does the labeling stay consistent such that you can compare older tyer designs against new ones. Why would you buy the Asymmetric 3 over the Efficientgrip? I drive a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0l diesel and do about 22000 miles per year.

The label tests do stay constant. Wet braking is only one performance quality of a tyre, and while it's entirely possible the F1 Asymmetric 3 and EG Performance to have the same wet braking grade, the Asymmetric 3 will have a better balance of overall qualities when you account for wet handling, aquaplaning, dry braking, dry handling etc.

2016-09-16 - I have Lotus Elise s2 sport 135. Its never used on track just occassional road use. Following a blow out on a rear Bridgestone pirenza I am considering replacement tyres with the Goodyear eagle F1 Assyimetric 3. What is your opinion

Sadly we've not yet driven on the Asymmetric 3! One thing to watch out for is that replacing just the rear tyres with the Goodyears could give the car a curious rear-steering feel due to the difference in sidewall strengths between the hard Bridgestone tyres, and the softer Goodyears.

2016-10-16 - I've had the Goodyear asym 2's on my old bmw z4 which were a superb drive although did have to change them fairly often. Now I've got a Toyota gt86 and considering the Goodyear asym 3, Michelin pilot sport 4, or the kumho ku39's? Any advice between them?

The F1 A3 and MPS4 are very closely matched. We've not yet driven them back to back, but would say the F1 A3 would have the slight edge in comfort, and the MPS4 the edge in sporty handling.

2017-01-24 - Where are the Goodyear asy 3 tyres made ?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is made in a variety of locations depending on the size and market.

2017-03-18 - Hello, tell me when choosing tires efficientgrip performance and asymmetric 3 for durability what will be better?

Unfortunately no one has done the test to compare wear data. The treadwear rating of each tyre should give you an indication of which will perform better.

2017-06-08 - I am about to renew the front tyres on my 2014 Ford Focus st. The car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Should I stick with those or go for the Asymmetric 3 tyres.

The Asymmetric 3 is the natural replacement for the Asymmetric 2 so it would make sense to upgrade to the new and improved model.

Top Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Review

Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
I previously had the asymmetric 2's whilst my car runs about 280bhp and 450nm of torque and i hardly ever got any wheel spin with them. On the other hand with asymmetric 3's i get a lot more wheel spin so i would definitely not buy them again and I'd stick to tglhe previous ones..
392 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz C200k (245/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 spirited miles
I have fitted these tyres on my car after having the previous version of the same tyre for 4 years on the same car.
I am located in Athens, Greece.
When the tyres are new, they are simply excellent on dry and wet. They take a few minutes of driving to reach their optimum temperature, but from then on they provide about the same grip level with the Continental SportContact or the Michelin Pilot Sports. They handle better that the Michelins on turns and they are relatively quiet. They are more reliable than the Contis in terms of driving up a curbside once in a while, the Contis and Michelins are notorious for damages due to curbsides, especially when they are warm.
Forget about driving even on a minimum thickness of snow, they are totally wrong for snow or ice.
The problem with the Goodyears is that after a couple of years their rubber gets very hard so they lose their grip on dry and wet.
I believe that driving fast on hot asphalt somehow bakes the rubber and it loses its elasticity. I usually drive this car on country roads and the freeway in the summer, sustained speeds up to 150 km/h at temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius, and this changes their behaviour.
Right now, I cannot push my fingernail inside the tread, it is as hard as a brick, and they loose grip too easily, especially in the city. ESP and ABS are kicking in all the time even though they have more that 5 mm of tread depth left.

I had similar problems with the Assymetric 2, but i thought I'd give Goodyear a second chance. Bad call....

If you are driving in hot climates, I would suggest a different tyre. I myself have no idea which tyre I should replace them with.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 13, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen mk7 Golf GTD (225/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Having bought a VW Golf GTD I was a bit taken aback by the hard ride - I knew it had sport suspension but it was harder than I'd hoped for. On ridding someone else's post I discovered my car was fitted with Bridgestone tyres which have a very hard side wall - a bit like run flats. I decided to go for Goodyears and the difference is astounding, absorbs bumps well and the side walls you can press your finger into. So if you have a sporty car folks I'm not saying for a minute Bridgestone are bad probably a great tyre for throwing your car into corners but if like me you enjoy a comfortable ride in your car buy Good Year all day long - oh and they are far quieter as well something else I noticed today.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 8, 2017
Given 96% (breakdown) while driving a (235/40 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 3,600 average miles
I used to have Pirelli which were fitted on my Scirocco 2014, I bought the car last year so you can tell that they were dry...noisy..I felt every penny on the road...

I started looking for the best Tyre I can buy...I reviewed this website and decided to go for good year...and honestly I was not disappointed... even though I waited the dealer for 3 months to bring the shipment...it's weird that this size is not that available here in KSA...

After fitting them everything changed...the noise... feeling... smoothness of the ride...it became quite, we drive highway here at speed of 130Km/h hence the whole physics of the car changes...but those tires are monsters...

One more thing...the fuel consumption went low...I used to get 9-11 L/100km and after the new tires it's 7-9L/Km which was surprising for me as it also made the engine quite.

Heat and humidity are all year long here no wet conditions whatsoever...so I review is based on current weather.

I recommend this tire with this size.

Thank you all for guiding me before.
2 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2017
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
As i replaced all 4 suspensions (shunts) soon after buying the F1A3, i had to say the real benefits in drive feeling only comes after driving for several thousand miles (or km in exact).

The bed-in period for the tyre itself, anyway, was unbelievably long (~2500km) before i could feel the vast improvement in driveability and comfort, comparing with my dated Pirelli P7 previously.

Once the nursing had been done, the tyres become much more responsive for my relatively dull A4, and tyre noise had become a thing of the past even for those poorly laid concrete carriageway. Wet weather driving is now more confident even at the speed limit during pouring rains, and no more wheel spinning when the wheels are on slippery surfaces under soaking wet conditions.

One things which i dont like is how it looks, especially if you follow the tyre pressure recommended in your owner's manual. Audi recommended ~32psi but i had to fill up to ~38psi (cold) or it simply looks like another flat tyre to me.

Wear is not significant for my 3000km so far.

Ask me if i will buy again, well, depends on if other newer tyres (PS4, CSC6, etc) have my tyre size (225/50-17). If yes, i would most probably have a second thought, not because the F1A3 are bad, but i suspect there are better ones elsewhere.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 23, 2017

See all 70 customer reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (newest first) >>