Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Tyre review data from 70 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 223,936 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild Summer SUV Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good performance balance, very good results on dry and wet roads, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Low traction on grass, expensive

2016 Sport Auto UHP Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent overall grip in the wet, high resistance to aquaplaning, good balance in the wet and dry, very low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None noted
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 2nd of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good handling and a short stopping distance on wet and dry surfaces, high lateral stability on wet roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69
255/35 R20 97Y XL   C A 69 11.21kgs
245/40 R20 95Y   E A 71 14.50kgs

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2016-03-24 - Is it true that asymmetric 3 has a smaller rim protection than asymmetric 2?

Just as an update to this question, we have been in contact with Goodyear regarding the rim protection on the Asymmetric 3 and the answer should be with us shortly!

2016-03-24 - When can we expect a test with the pilot sport 4, sport contact 6 and the asymmetric 3?

You're unlikely to see the Sport Contact 6 in a test with the Pilot Sport 4 due to the sizes they're made in, the Continental rivals the Pilot Super Sport.
The best test so far this year is the GTU test, however that missed the Michelin.

2016-04-27 - Is it true the side wall height has increased on the 3 vs the 2?

As with all Goodyear tyres, the Asymmetric 3 is within ETRTO (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) guidelines, which does allow for a small variation on side wall height. Whether the size increases or decreases can depend on the size.

2016-04-26 - Will the 3 be N rated for Porsche, Cayman GTS specifically, like the 2?

A reply from Goodyear - We continuously work with OEM partners to develop OE Marked versions of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the tyre is currently approved on the Jaguar XF (J Marked) and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (MO Marked). The tire will only be N rated if we gain an approval on a Porsche platform.

2016-05-06 - is the goodyear F1 AS3 directional

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is an asymmetric tyre, not directional

2016-05-30 - What does 94y and 98y mean and what is the differance

The 94 and 98 are the load ratings for the Asymmetric 3 tyre. 94 means each tyre is rated to carry 670 kgs, and 98 750 kgs. As a rule of thumb, the high load rating tyre will create slightly more noise, have a slightly harder ride, but will offer a more sporty steering feel.

2016-09-03 - I have Swift Sport 1.6 and I would like to replace my tires with either Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. They are similar but I can't decide. Could you help me ?

Both the latest Dunlop and the Goodyear are extremely similar tyres, you'll be happy with either. We would always side with the Goodyear as we feel longer term the availability would be better.

2016-08-27 - I am about to purchase either Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance or this Asymmetric 3. I think the Efficientgrip is the older design yet has the better fuel efficiency and same wet braking distance. I am surprised by this. It is also cheaper by £10 from Blackcircles. Does the labeling stay consistent such that you can compare older tyer designs against new ones. Why would you buy the Asymmetric 3 over the Efficientgrip? I drive a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0l diesel and do about 22000 miles per year.

The label tests do stay constant. Wet braking is only one performance quality of a tyre, and while it's entirely possible the F1 Asymmetric 3 and EG Performance to have the same wet braking grade, the Asymmetric 3 will have a better balance of overall qualities when you account for wet handling, aquaplaning, dry braking, dry handling etc.

2016-09-16 - I have Lotus Elise s2 sport 135. Its never used on track just occassional road use. Following a blow out on a rear Bridgestone pirenza I am considering replacement tyres with the Goodyear eagle F1 Assyimetric 3. What is your opinion

Sadly we've not yet driven on the Asymmetric 3! One thing to watch out for is that replacing just the rear tyres with the Goodyears could give the car a curious rear-steering feel due to the difference in sidewall strengths between the hard Bridgestone tyres, and the softer Goodyears.

2016-10-16 - I've had the Goodyear asym 2's on my old bmw z4 which were a superb drive although did have to change them fairly often. Now I've got a Toyota gt86 and considering the Goodyear asym 3, Michelin pilot sport 4, or the kumho ku39's? Any advice between them?

The F1 A3 and MPS4 are very closely matched. We've not yet driven them back to back, but would say the F1 A3 would have the slight edge in comfort, and the MPS4 the edge in sporty handling.

2017-01-24 - Where are the Goodyear asy 3 tyres made ?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is made in a variety of locations depending on the size and market.

2017-03-18 - Hello, tell me when choosing tires efficientgrip performance and asymmetric 3 for durability what will be better?

Unfortunately no one has done the test to compare wear data. The treadwear rating of each tyre should give you an indication of which will perform better.

2017-06-08 - I am about to renew the front tyres on my 2014 Ford Focus st. The car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Should I stick with those or go for the Asymmetric 3 tyres.

The Asymmetric 3 is the natural replacement for the Asymmetric 2 so it would make sense to upgrade to the new and improved model.

Top Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Review

Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
I previously had the asymmetric 2's whilst my car runs about 280bhp and 450nm of torque and i hardly ever got any wheel spin with them. On the other hand with asymmetric 3's i get a lot more wheel spin so i would definitely not buy them again and I'd stick to tglhe previous ones..
349 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
My choice was between the Goodyear eagle f1 assy 3 and the Mitchelln SP4 . Research proved similarities in performance but i wanted a lower noise db and higher comfort level so i chose the GY Assy 3
I was not disappointed.

I stay within the speed limit 95% of the time but i did test these tyres out on a few bouts of spirited driving . Steering response and road feedback when cornering was excellent , no tyre skipping . Grip in both wet and dry superb . This tyre is quiet , smooth and very comfortble smothering road imperfections and pot holes unbelievably well . Goodyear have done a remarkable job here .

These tyres replaced the EO Pirelli cinturato p7 which came with my car as new and still had 4-5m of tread left . Personally , the Pirelli 's were not to my liking , a very stiff carcass tyre that was uncomfortable with poor grip levels especially in the wet .

Goodyear recommended i drive easy for the first 200 miles to break and bed the tyres . I found the tyres actually took around 400 miles to reach their peak . Front tyres are 225/45 R18" , rears 245/40 R18"".

Well there you have it , i thought it possible to find a tyre that would combine this level of comfort and performance all in one. Goodyear spent 36,000 man hours developing this tyre and in my opinion it really has paid off .

3 - tyre reviewed on September 8, 2017
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Accord CTDi (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Realy nice for daily driving / fast road driving
3 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2017
Given 54% (breakdown) while driving a Opel ASTRA H 1.6 TURBO (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 6,213 average miles
Inspired by advertising and marketing, I bought these tires. Disappointing. The car gained regression and mainly oversteer. In turns I'm afraid to get in. Braking at high speeds is good. Also in the wet the tires respond quite well. But they are certainly not as good as they are trying to convince us. Of course I will not buy them again and I do NOT suggest them.
6 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2017
Given 45% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia vRS (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
I have had these for a month, & want to compare to the Asymmetric 2 which were fitted on my old Skoda Fabia Mk II.

Pros:
+ Absorbs bumps incredibly well, best tyre I have used for this. Great for cars with hard suspensions like mine
+ Good rim protector, better than the Asymmetric 2. I know some have said the reverse, but maybe I have a revised version of the Asymmetric 3
+ Good composed ride on the motorway, quiet as well

Cons:
- Far too numb steering feel compared to the Asymmetric 2. Very floaty, difficult to tell what your tyres are doing. Even my budget tyres I previously had fitted provided better steering feel
- Poor in the wet compared to the Asymmetric 2 which was a lot better. Driving on the motorway in the rain was a bit nervous as I thought the car was going to lose grip when changing lanes
- Already had one slight moment of loss of traction in dry weather
- No improvement in steering precision compared to the Asymmetric 2

Overall: I had high expectations of these as the Asymmetric 2 was the best tyre I ever used. Sadly, the Asymmetric 3 does not live up to its predecessor. I can see what Goodyear have done for these, which was place comfort above performance. These remind me of my Pirelli P Zero Neros which had the same ride quality & I did not like. What I will be doing is looking at getting some Asymmetric 2s from elsewhere as my local tyre garage no longer has them in stock, or go for something from Continental or Michelin.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 12, 2017
Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz E280 (245/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Compared with the F1 Asym 2s, much better wet grip (seldom any slip when pulling out of a T-junction in wet, unlike before). Braking is very reassuring too. Rim protection has done a perfect job in light of some really clumsy kerb strikes. One welcome improvement: if I parked when the Asym 2s were hot, when they cooled, the first 5 minutes of the next drive was accompanied by some vibration through the wheel, not with these though. The main negative is the wear, say over 2mm in 6k miles, but cheaper than an alloy refurb and recovery from a ditch.
2 - tyre reviewed on August 9, 2017

See all 64 customer reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (newest first) >>