Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

This tyre has been replaced by the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Tyre review data from 132 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 1,085,374 miles driven.

Reports

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 VS Asymmetric 3 VS Continental PremiumContact 6 - In depth test - 3rd of 3 tyres

• Positive - Shortest dry braking.
  • Negative - The replacement Asymmetric 5 improves this tyre in nearly all areas.

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 5th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good handling in the dry and wet, very safe handling balance.
  • Negative - Relatively long wet braking.
  • Overall - Recommended.

2018 Ace 235/45 R18 Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 11 tyres

255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69
255/35 R20 97Y XL   C A 69 11.21kgs
245/40 R20 95Y   E A 71 14.50kgs

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2016-03-24 - Is it true that asymmetric 3 has a smaller rim protection than asymmetric 2?

Just as an update to this question, we have been in contact with Goodyear regarding the rim protection on the Asymmetric 3 and the answer should be with us shortly!

2016-03-24 - When can we expect a test with the pilot sport 4, sport contact 6 and the asymmetric 3?

You're unlikely to see the Sport Contact 6 in a test with the Pilot Sport 4 due to the sizes they're made in, the Continental rivals the Pilot Super Sport.
The best test so far this year is the GTU test, however that missed the Michelin.

2016-04-27 - Is it true the side wall height has increased on the 3 vs the 2?

As with all Goodyear tyres, the Asymmetric 3 is within ETRTO (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) guidelines, which does allow for a small variation on side wall height. Whether the size increases or decreases can depend on the size.

2016-04-26 - Will the 3 be N rated for Porsche, Cayman GTS specifically, like the 2?

A reply from Goodyear - We continuously work with OEM partners to develop OE Marked versions of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the tyre is currently approved on the Jaguar XF (J Marked) and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (MO Marked). The tire will only be N rated if we gain an approval on a Porsche platform.

2016-05-06 - is the goodyear F1 AS3 directional

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is an asymmetric tyre, not directional

2016-05-30 - What does 94y and 98y mean and what is the differance

The 94 and 98 are the load ratings for the Asymmetric 3 tyre. 94 means each tyre is rated to carry 670 kgs, and 98 750 kgs. As a rule of thumb, the high load rating tyre will create slightly more noise, have a slightly harder ride, but will offer a more sporty steering feel.

2016-09-03 - I have Swift Sport 1.6 and I would like to replace my tires with either Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. They are similar but I can't decide. Could you help me ?

Both the latest Dunlop and the Goodyear are extremely similar tyres, you'll be happy with either. We would always side with the Goodyear as we feel longer term the availability would be better.

2016-08-27 - I am about to purchase either Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance or this Asymmetric 3. I think the Efficientgrip is the older design yet has the better fuel efficiency and same wet braking distance. I am surprised by this. It is also cheaper by £10 from Blackcircles. Does the labeling stay consistent such that you can compare older tyer designs against new ones. Why would you buy the Asymmetric 3 over the Efficientgrip? I drive a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0l diesel and do about 22000 miles per year.

The label tests do stay constant. Wet braking is only one performance quality of a tyre, and while it's entirely possible the F1 Asymmetric 3 and EG Performance to have the same wet braking grade, the Asymmetric 3 will have a better balance of overall qualities when you account for wet handling, aquaplaning, dry braking, dry handling etc.

2016-09-16 - I have Lotus Elise s2 sport 135. Its never used on track just occassional road use. Following a blow out on a rear Bridgestone pirenza I am considering replacement tyres with the Goodyear eagle F1 Assyimetric 3. What is your opinion

Sadly we've not yet driven on the Asymmetric 3! One thing to watch out for is that replacing just the rear tyres with the Goodyears could give the car a curious rear-steering feel due to the difference in sidewall strengths between the hard Bridgestone tyres, and the softer Goodyears.

2016-10-16 - I've had the Goodyear asym 2's on my old bmw z4 which were a superb drive although did have to change them fairly often. Now I've got a Toyota gt86 and considering the Goodyear asym 3, Michelin pilot sport 4, or the kumho ku39's? Any advice between them?

The F1 A3 and MPS4 are very closely matched. We've not yet driven them back to back, but would say the F1 A3 would have the slight edge in comfort, and the MPS4 the edge in sporty handling.

2017-01-24 - Where are the Goodyear asy 3 tyres made ?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is made in a variety of locations depending on the size and market.

2017-03-18 - Hello, tell me when choosing tires efficientgrip performance and asymmetric 3 for durability what will be better?

Unfortunately no one has done the test to compare wear data. The treadwear rating of each tyre should give you an indication of which will perform better.

2017-06-08 - I am about to renew the front tyres on my 2014 Ford Focus st. The car came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. Should I stick with those or go for the Asymmetric 3 tyres.

The Asymmetric 3 is the natural replacement for the Asymmetric 2 so it would make sense to upgrade to the new and improved model.

2018-01-04 - Are these run flat tyres?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 has a runflat option in certain sizes.

2018-03-28 - I have Honda Civic 1.8 8th gen on 225/40/R18 XL. Bridgestone Potenza on front, Michelin PS3 rear. Rears due for replacement soon. I want to improve ride comfort, Thinking of putting Potenzas on rear and new Goodyear Asymmetrical 3 or Pirelli P Zero PS4 on front. Which of these tyres would give best comfort? Is there much difference as far as comfort is concerned between them? Would handling be significantly affected by having stiffer walled Potenzas on the rear, requiring all tyres to be replaced

Personally I would go for the A3, put them on the rear and wear through whatever is left as quickly as possible on the front so I can have 4 matching tyres.

2018-12-27 - Hi I'm from Australia and have a BMW F20 125i M Sport on 18 " Bridgestone Potenza RFT that need replacing- I'm thinking of changing to non-RFT (plus repair kit) due to NVH/ride issues (especially on our roads) 1. My local tyre place suggests non-RF Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3- as first line on the drivers door sill plate reads '225/40 R 18 92 M&S XL' and according to him the G/Ys are only ones rated as 'extra load'. Do you think this is the best tyre to reduce NVH and improve ride (I don't mind the trade-off) 2. Another dealer stated that the XL isn't as important as the '92' load rating which opens the options to range of other tyres e.g. Pirelli P Zeros; Continentals; Michelin PSS. Is this correct, and if so which would you choose if the priority is to reduce NVH and improve ride? Many thanks Andrew

Your dealer is correct, the 92 is the important part, not XL. Many people switch from the runflats to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and speak extremely positive of the improvements they bring.

2019-03-21 - Looking at getting some 215/45/17s for my car. Some websites show XL rated on the 91Y tyres some don't. Are they all XL tyres or are some not?

I believe they are all XL in that load and speed rating, however it's worth double checking you're not looking at OE versions of the tyre.

2019-04-29 - Buying the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (J) XL 245/40R19 replacing Bridgestone Potenza RE05A which replaced Bridgestone Turanza T001. This is in Australia for my Holden Calais VF V Sedan. (1) Is the Goodyear a good replacement? (2) Is Asymmetric 3 the same tyre as Asymmetric 3 (J) XL.

Yes, it's a great replacement. The J version of the tyre is likely the Jaguar OE specific version of the tyre, so try and get one that isn't OE marked.

Top Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Review

Given 63% while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
I previously had the asymmetric 2's whilst my car runs about 280bhp and 450nm of torque and i hardly ever got any wheel spin with them. On the other hand with asymmetric 3's i get a lot more wheel spin so i would definitely not buy them again and I'd stick to tglhe previous ones..
740 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Given 87% while driving a Mercedes Benz CLS 320 (245/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 25,000 spirited miles
Bad points
Tram lines, quite noisy on concrete sections of the M25.

Great points
Predictable, good grip, reasonable feedback. Very good tyre life, at least 25K miles on a heavy, powerful RWD car to 2mm.

These are excellent and are well priced, typically 15-20% less than Michelins.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 17, 2019
Given 85% while driving a BMW 640d (275/30 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
After years of moaning about ROFs, and having spent a great deal of time trying to avoid them, finally took the plunge and put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ROFs on all 4 corners on my BMW 640D (245/35/20 front, 275/30/20 rears). My decision was primarily driven by a lack of choice in non-ROF in the sizes that I required and having been disappointed in the wear and comfort of the ContiSport Contact 6 (non-ROF) as my last set on the rear. Since the Goodyears have been fitted, I am not sure that I have got the same car back! The 6 series is not the best of cars to determine handling and grip, but the Goodyears are a good as anything else I have had on the car. The real difference is the ride, as the tyres just seem to absorb the bumps, where previous tyres have been bone crashing and the rears jumping in the corners (both ROF and non-ROF). If there were any downsides, it was that the fronts cost me the best part of an additional £50 per tyre over the rears (despite shopping around) and that the Asymmetric 5s (which are supposed to be even better according to Tyre Reviews) are not yet available in the sizes I needed.
5 - tyre reviewed on September 6, 2019
Given 79% while driving a Mitsubishi Colt (205/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,100 spirited miles
Very nice handling when the weather is dry and the temperature above 10°C. On wet road it is nice not super, very steady when cornering. Nice braking on wet road. After 5000km in all conditions, even on ice and snow, the tyre performed really well. It surprised me even in the track. I used it only for 10 fast laps, not flat out, the feedback was super! There was no significant overheat at the end of the 10th lap. Compare to TOYO T1R, Assymetric 3 gave me 50% more performance all around.
1 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2019

See all 117 customer reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (newest first) >>