Nokian W Plus

Progressiveness 75%
Nokian W Plus

The Nokian W Plus is a High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 12 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 101,500 miles driven.

Sorry, the Nokian W Plus hasn't been featured in any tyre tests yet
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Nokian W Plus
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian W Plus. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

165/70 R13 £32.02 - £40.01 (7 prices) Compare Prices >>
185/65 R14 £35.86 - £43.60 (7 prices) Compare Prices >>
185/65 R15 £41.20 - £63.41 (6 prices) Compare Prices >>
195/60 R15 £43.30 - £50.40 (7 prices) Compare Prices >>
195/65 R15 £39.37 - £44.60 (7 prices) Compare Prices >>
205/55 R16 £57.25 - £60.10 (4 prices) Compare Prices >>

Nokian W Plus Reviews

Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Daewoo Lanos (175/70 R13) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
No Comments Left
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on December 13, 2015
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo S40 (195/60 R15) on mostly town for 4,000 easy going miles
Previously had Nokian WR for four winter seasons and they were excellent. Last autumn bought W+ since they were significantly cheaper. Unfortunately, the difference is also significant. In wet conditions traction on W+ is poor, and they just don't give you enough confidence for driving in winter conditions. In snow they were good, but not excellent. (Not that it should matter a lot, tyres were made in Russia - something I noticed after I bought them.)
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on May 5, 2015
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Astra H GTC (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
I've had these tyres for almost a season during which I took a trip to Austria and I gotta say, the tyres performed very well in snow/ice conditions. I didn't pushed them to the limit in the wet, but the overall feedback was ok.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on February 18, 2015
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 32,000 average miles
I've just removed these tyres after using them for the fourth winter in succession - they are a great winter tyre that doesn't fall away in performance when the ambient temperature rises. I've been just as happy this winter with its warm wet weather (and recent dry spell) as in previous winters where freezing temps and snow was more common in the Brecon Beacons. I've now completed over 32k miles in total on them and they still show 4mm of tread - maybe not ideal for another extreme winter but I'll refit them come November for the added security the compound and tread pattern give on greasy leave strewn roads and frosty mornings. My fuel economy is consistently 10% better on these tyres than my normal (wider) summer wheel set so they've probably paid for themselves in fuel savings, never mind the reduced wear on the more expensive summer performance tyres.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on May 6, 2014
Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Cordoba Vario 1.4MPI 60HP (165/70 R13) on mostly town for 3,500 easy going miles
I experience a lot of under steering with this tires. This winter we didn`t have a lot of snow here in Bulgaria. You probably know when it is foggy outside how the roads get wet. On this wet roads those tires are pure garbage.
Last weekend I almost hit a tree while cornering with less than 40 km/h. The temperature was 9 degrees C , so it was not icy.
Would not recommend even to my worst enemy!
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2014
Given 76% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Scenic (185/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 3,000 easy going miles
Since 2009 winter (december) I had Nokian all WRG2s as winter tyres. They performed very very well. As I live near baltic sea, eastern Europe I managed to drive into very different winter conditions: snow, mud, ice, wet, dry cold.. All separate and sometimes combined. Unfortunately one tyre got flat because of damage I made for it in August of 2012. So I got a pair of W+ the last autumn to put on front because. Two WRG2s are made softer than W+ so I left them in the back as those still had 5mm of pattern. From first drives I felt the difference between W+ and G2. As the government rules says that we are ought to drive winter tyres since November 10th I did a lot kms on dry and wet and felt that W+ slips when starting more agressively, on wet it performs well, but it feels irresponsive. You can feel some hysteresis between wheel turn and car movement. This isn't an issue with summer(Michelin energy saver) or G2 tyres. But since December 2012 we had a lot of snow till April 2013 and I drove a lot in outlying roads with a lot snow and a lot of compressed snow. And there W+ performed impressively well. I was very comfortable to drive with them as I felt the traction and stability all the time. As those tyres are made from harder rub than G2 they still have 8mm mark on them (I haven't changed W+ to summer tyres yet. They are still mounted on car). I remember that WRG2s didn't have the 8mm mark after using them the first winter. I assume that wear of W+ will be great.
So, I wouldn't recommend these tyres as winter tyres for moderate or low (wet, dry) winter regions as you could find better performing tyres. But if you have a lot of snow, precipitation and you are not agressive driver you should definately go for W+ as they are cheap and perform very well on snow, as I assume they were designed for. If you prefer to spend more for tyres or you want assurance in every driving condition you should look for WR D3 or WR G2. Those are better. Though wear is worse because of softness.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on April 17, 2013
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 18,000 average miles
Thought I'd add another review since this is my third winter on the Nokian W+ in my Golf - they've now covered a total of 18,000 miles and continue to impress with their ability to just get on with. I rotate tyres back to front every year so the fronts are on the driven wheels for their second time. they still show 6mm+ of tread depth so will easily do this winter and next winter when ont he rear axle. Whilst snow and icy cold conditions haven't been prevelant so far this winter for me, I know I'm prepared. These tyres are still ca £65 each fitted which is the price I paid back in November 2010, so even more of a bargain given the way prices have risen generally.

Would recommend these to anyone with small/medium sized cars who wants a set of winter tyres that get on with the job and can more than cater with the fluctuating winter temperatures of the UK
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on January 16, 2013
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a Lancia Musa (195/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
No Comments Left
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on February 3, 2012
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Megane Sports Tourer (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
This (2011-12) is the second winter this set of Nokians have been fitted to my Megane Sport Tourer dCi Dynamique Tom-Tom. The 195/65-15 Nokian tyres - on steel rims - were put on in place of the normal 205/55-16 Michelin-shod alloys for the winter season in early November expecting the usual harsh winter conditions... and nothing yet!
But last winter (2010-11) both car and tyres excelled in conditions that even had 4X4s and Audi quattro-equipped cars struggling for grip and traction!
Wear has been negligible after approximately 5,000 miles covered in two winters.
Noise levels are lower, and ride comfort is somewhat better than the original tyres... but this may, in part, be due to the deeper sidewalls of the Nokians over the Michelins.
Dry road grip isn't to the very high standards of the Michelins though... the Megane's traction control does occasionally have to kick-in on a particularly twisting hilly section of road on my daily travels.
That apart, I have no problem in recommending the Nokian W+ as a great winter tyre for central European-type winter driving conditions.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on November 23, 2011
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Solid tyre, i have expected more from it. Not excellent on snow when you start agressively.
Find this review useful? | - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2011