Nokian W Plus

Show all: Nokian tyres, Passenger Car Winter High Performance tyres
The Nokian W Plus is a High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 11 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 93,500 miles driven.

Nokian W Plus

86%

86%

70%

Nokian W Plus Reviews

Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo S40 (195-60-15-)
Driving on mostly town for 4,000 easy going miles
Previously had Nokian WR for four winter seasons and they were excellent. Last autumn bought W+ since they were significantly cheaper. Unfortunately, the difference is also significant. In wet conditions traction on W+ is poor, and they just don't give you enough confidence for driving in winter conditions. In snow they were good, but not excellent. (Not that it should matter a lot, tyres were made in Russia - something I noticed after I bought them.)
tyre reviewed on May 5, 2015
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Astra H GTC (205-55-16-T)
I've had these tyres for almost a season during which I took a trip to Austria and I gotta say, the tyres performed very well in snow/ice conditions. I didn't pushed them to the limit in the wet, but the overall feedback was ok.
tyre reviewed on February 18, 2015
Looking to buy the Nokian W Plus? Click here to search for the best price for the Nokian W Plus or any other tyre.

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (195-65-15-T)
I've just removed these tyres after using them for the fourth winter in succession - they are a great winter tyre that doesn't fall away in performance when the ambient temperature rises. I've been just as happy this winter with its warm wet weather (and recent dry spell) as in previous winters where freezing temps and snow was more common in the Brecon Beacons. I've now completed over 32k miles in total on them and they still show 4mm of tread - maybe not ideal for another extreme winter but I'll refit them come November for the added security the compound and tread pattern give on greasy leave strewn roads and frosty mornings. My fuel economy is consistently 10% better on these tyres than my normal (wider) summer wheel set so they've probably paid for themselves in fuel savings, never mind the reduced wear on the more expensive summer performance tyres.
tyre reviewed on May 6, 2014
Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Cordoba Vario 1.4MPI 60HP (165-70-13-)
Driving on mostly town for 3,500 easy going miles
I experience a lot of under steering with this tires. This winter we didn`t have a lot of snow here in Bulgaria. You probably know when it is foggy outside how the roads get wet. On this wet roads those tires are pure garbage.
Last weekend I almost hit a tree while cornering with less than 40 km/h. The temperature was 9 degrees C , so it was not icy.
Would not recommend even to my worst enemy!
tyre reviewed on February 11, 2014
Given 76% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Scenic (185-65-15-T)
Driving on a combination of roads for 3,000 easy going miles
Since 2009 winter (december) I had Nokian all WRG2s as winter tyres. They performed very very well. As I live near baltic sea, eastern Europe I managed to drive into very different winter conditions: snow, mud, ice, wet, dry cold.. All separate and sometimes combined. Unfortunately one tyre got flat because of damage I made for it in August of 2012. So I got a pair of W+ the last autumn to put on front because. Two WRG2s are made softer than W+ so I left them in the back as those still had 5mm of pattern. From first drives I felt the difference between W+ and G2. As the government rules says that we are ought to drive winter tyres since November 10th I did a lot kms on dry and wet and felt that W+ slips when starting more agressively, on wet it performs well, but it feels irresponsive. You can feel some hysteresis between wheel turn and car movement. This isn't an issue with summer(Michelin energy saver) or G2 tyres. But since December 2012 we had a lot of snow till April 2013 and I drove a lot in outlying roads with a lot snow and a lot of compressed snow. And there W+ performed impressively well. I was very comfortable to drive with them as I felt the traction and stability all the time. As those tyres are made from harder rub than G2 they still have 8mm mark on them (I haven't changed W+ to summer tyres yet. They are still mounted on car). I remember that WRG2s didn't have the 8mm mark after using them the first winter. I assume that wear of W+ will be great.
So, I wouldn't recommend these tyres as winter tyres for moderate or low (wet, dry) winter regions as you could find better performing tyres. But if you have a lot of snow, precipitation and you are not agressive driver you should definately go for W+ as they are cheap and perform very well on snow, as I assume they were designed for. If you prefer to spend more for tyres or you want assurance in every driving condition you should look for WR D3 or WR G2. Those are better. Though wear is worse because of softness.
tyre reviewed on April 17, 2013
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (195-65-15-T)
Thought I'd add another review since this is my third winter on the Nokian W+ in my Golf - they've now covered a total of 18,000 miles and continue to impress with their ability to just get on with. I rotate tyres back to front every year so the fronts are on the driven wheels for their second time. they still show 6mm+ of tread depth so will easily do this winter and next winter when ont he rear axle. Whilst snow and icy cold conditions haven't been prevelant so far this winter for me, I know I'm prepared. These tyres are still ca £65 each fitted which is the price I paid back in November 2010, so even more of a bargain given the way prices have risen generally.

Would recommend these to anyone with small/medium sized cars who wants a set of winter tyres that get on with the job and can more than cater with the fluctuating winter temperatures of the UK
tyre reviewed on January 16, 2013
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a Lancia Musa (195-50-16-)
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on February 3, 2012
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Megane Sports Tourer (195-65-15-T)
This (2011-12) is the second winter this set of Nokians have been fitted to my Megane Sport Tourer dCi Dynamique Tom-Tom. The 195/65-15 Nokian tyres - on steel rims - were put on in place of the normal 205/55-16 Michelin-shod alloys for the winter season in early November expecting the usual harsh winter conditions... and nothing yet!
But last winter (2010-11) both car and tyres excelled in conditions that even had 4X4s and Audi quattro-equipped cars struggling for grip and traction!
Wear has been negligible after approximately 5,000 miles covered in two winters.
Noise levels are lower, and ride comfort is somewhat better than the original tyres... but this may, in part, be due to the deeper sidewalls of the Nokians over the Michelins.
Dry road grip isn't to the very high standards of the Michelins though... the Megane's traction control does occasionally have to kick-in on a particularly twisting hilly section of road on my daily travels.
That apart, I have no problem in recommending the Nokian W+ as a great winter tyre for central European-type winter driving conditions.
tyre reviewed on November 23, 2011
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205-55-16-T)
Solid tyre, i have expected more from it. Not excellent on snow when you start agressively.
tyre reviewed on October 26, 2011
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (195-65-15-T)
Have had these fitted to steel rims of my Mk6 Golf since November, having now covered almost 7k miles. They've been excellent in most conditions through winter, only the very warmest of winter days (10-11'C) have seen them feeling a little less grippy and a bit soft. I've driven in 8" of snow easily thsi winter, whereas last winter i was almost stranded in an inch with the original 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE050s (brand new at the time). Even whent he snow was compacted and iced over with -15'C tenmperatures the tyres didn't struggle at all, i haven't seen the traction control light once this year, last winter the system actually threw an error as it was working so hard to get me nowhere !
Comfort has been very good, but then moving back to 15" tryes with a high sidewall is bound to improve things over a 17" wheel with an inch less wall height.
Handling has been fine, winter conditions aren't great for sporty driving and these tyres have no claims to be sporty - driven in normal manner they've ahd all the grip thats been required and a fair safety margin left.
Noise - for such a blocky pattern with very deep tread (about 9.5mm when new) they've been remarkably quiet, long curve at speed such as motorway intersections produce a little extra noise, but hardly noticeable (even in a car as quiet as the Golf)
Wear - after 7k miles, the built in tread indicators show exactly 8mm on the front and over 8mm on the rear (first wear indicator is at 8mm). By rotating the tyres the wear would average out at about 1mm every 7k miles, which would give a life (down to 4mm) of around 40k miles in winter use, and a further 14k miles of potential warm weather use to see them wear down to 2mm.
Value for money - absolutely. For £50 a corner you can't go wrong as a winter tyre set, extra security and mobility in winter alone make then a good buy. No idea what they'd wear like in summer temperatures, but even if they wear faster they are still capable of great mileage for the money.
Will i buy again - I will always run winter and summer tyre sets going forward and when these wear out, probably after another 3 winters !, i'll look again at Nokian and compare the prices to the big brands ike Dunlop and continental. No doubt i'll go with Nokian again.
tyre reviewed on February 25, 2011

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: