Uniroyal Rainsport 3

Show all: Uniroyal tyres, Passenger Car Summer Ultra High Performance tyres
The Uniroyal Rainsport 3 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 31 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 118,521 miles driven.

This tyre replaced the Uniroyal Rainsport 2

93%

91%

Tyre Test Results:

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Reviews

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat croma (215-50-17-W)
I can only compare these to the Avon ZV5 tyres that were on the car before, but I hope this is helpful to someone. I've put that I wouldn't buy these again because on balance I would be going back to the Avons. There's not a huge amount of difference and they're definitely good tyres, but it's the nature of the differences that bothers me.

The Uniroyals are called "rainsport" and have a very cool looking tread pattern, but they're really not very sporty. In comparison with the Avons they feel like they have a lot of lateral "sloppyness" - when you corner hard it feels like the tyres are sticking to the road OK, but the tyre cross-section is now not so rectangular and is more a parallelogram so the back moves out like you've got rear wheel steering. The Fiat Croma is probably not the best example of a car that corners on rails, but this is subtly like cornering in a boat. The tyres are also a little under damped - they "boing" like a space-hopper. If you hit them like a drum, they ring - this is actually really annoying: I thought a bearing was going because there was a droning noise. I've just jacked up the car to check and the bearings are fine, but the tyres "ring" and you get a background drone on most surfaces - particularly around 30-40mph - the pitch stays constant with speed so I'm convinced it's the tyre resonance and not a bearing. I imagine this could be worse on my car than most because of the rear wheel camber angles and the nature of the tread on the outside of the tyre, but it's been bothering me and the Avons didn't do it. Also, if you push the car sideways while stationary, it "squishes" side to side more than the Avons did (at the same tyre pressure).

On the plus side, droning noise apart, these tyres are quieter than the Avons on rough road surfaces (they take small ruts and bumps like cats-eyes particularly well). They are quieter on the motorway and are generally more "comfortable" - presumably a consequence of being that much more pliant.

These ones have got the rubber flange that protects your alloys from kerbing, they're safe and sensible tyres. They may be just what you're looking for. I get almost identical fuel economy and the wear rates look good so far - on target for around 24k miles on the back. I just don't like the way they handle or the droning noise.
tyre reviewed on July 29, 2014
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi (225-45-17-W)
Driving on a combination of roads for 4,000 easy going miles
Driven 6000km in 3 months, absolutely perfect.
Even in highway when road suddenly ended and had to make emergency stop from ~90km/h between lorrys and cones, they had unbelivable grip for that price range. Car just stopped like it was glued to tarmac.
In wet drove throu some big puddle and nothing, car went straight, no aquaplaning or nothing.
Still have 8 - 8,5mm tread left. Like new.
Best tyres for this price. Yes they feel little soft but on the other hand they are pretty quiet and for 225/45R17 tyres they are very comfortable.
tyre reviewed on July 22, 2014
Looking to buy the Uniroyal Rainsport 3? Click here to search for the best price for the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 or any other tyre.

Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9 5 Aero Wagon (225-45-17-W)
Driving on a combination of roads for 20 easy going miles
Just fitted four Uniroyal Rainsport 3's to my 20022 Saab 9-5 HOT aero estate. Previous tyres where Uniroyal Rainsport 2's which I was pleased with but these Rainsport 3's are fantastic and have transformed the car. Whilst writing this I've only just had them fitted and done about 20 miles but I am extremely impressed at how quiet they are. Dry grip and steering response seem fine in the dry hot July weather so I can only report that I am impressed with the grip and braking in the dry. If they perform as well in the rain and the wet, I'll be well pleased and I'll report further. I'll also report again at how well they last but for the moment at least I'm very pleased and very glad I chose them - and they weren't that expensive either!
tyre reviewed on July 16, 2014
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall Vectra (215-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 13,421 spirited miles
Great tires. Amazing in wet and also in dry. But wet it is amazing; You can almost hit a puddle of water at high speed and they will almost act like brakes. No aquaplaning. Highly recommended if you live somewhere where it is raining nonstop. The down side is that after 6 months, they only have 2000-3000km left. I do do a lot of km (Ive done over 21600km in these tires)
tyre reviewed on July 10, 2014
Given 92% (breakdown) while driving a BMW Z3 roadster (225-45-17-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Just fitted this tyre all round - Previously praised Unis rainexpert tyre for sorting out my Mx-5 wet handling & these have vastly improved my Z3 handling feeling a lot more secure - have not tested yet in really bad rain but v happy so far!
tyre reviewed on July 5, 2014
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall corsa sri (195-45-16-)
What an awesome tyre! My previous tires where rainsport 2, and they where good enough,abit numb but ok. These rs3 are in another league of performance! Absolutely stick to the road in the dry, and wet grip is amazing! Can take corners in the rain like you can in the dry..very impressed..can't really judge wear as not had then long..seem to be wearing on the sides...having said that I drive pretty hard.
tyre reviewed on July 1, 2014
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line (235-45-17-)
Excellent in the rain. Very good in the dry. Best tyre for UK road conditions. Looks good too!
tyre reviewed on June 26, 2014
Given 84% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9 3 SE Turbo (215-45-17-W)
Bought RS3 for my wifes Saab 9-3 convertible.
Have always used uniroyals for all my cars and these have stood up to my expectations. Slipping 220 remapped horses through them they grip whether rain or shine.
I find the sidewalls a little soft but overinflating them slightly helps.
All in all cant fault them. Will be making a purchase for my own saab aero shortly.
tyre reviewed on June 23, 2014
Given 88% (breakdown) while driving a Renault megane (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 878 average miles
Best Uniroyal tyre by far, Wet grip 10+
tyre reviewed on June 8, 2014
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 (225-45-17-W)
After having no grip with the cheap tyres I had a crash while drive in wet conditions.
Took care of the damage and swore myself to never save on brakes and tyres again!

After I bought Rainsport 2, I've read that there was a new tyre named "Rainsport 3".
Also hear that Rs2 worn very fast and thought I should try out the new ones.

And what a upgrade it is! In dry and wet even better that the good Rs2!
I have a VW Golf 3 2.0 Cabriolet and sadly no abs brake system but when it rains and I put my foot to the brake paddle the car doesn't even slip! Just amazing grip!

They say that the Continental Sportcontact 5 is a better tyre than the Rs3 but the only thing so far I heart is that the Conti is better in dry but not in the wet.
I think in dry conditions you allready have a good grip but you need the best when conditions are very bad like heavy rain.

I don't know the wear of the new Rs3 but when I know I will update my review.

This is the best Tyres I have tried sofar and for the price you can't go wrong either!
tyre reviewed on June 8, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with lovetyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Width: