Yokohama W Drive

Show all: Yokohama tyres, Passenger Car Winter High Performance tyres
The Yokohama W Drive is a High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 12 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 175,000 miles driven.

Yokohama W Drive

Yokohama W Drive Reviews

Given 76% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 5 Series 2007 (245-40-18-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 8,000 average miles
Overall I am happy with my winter tires, this is the second winter that I've had them on the car and boxing day was the first day I have driven in snow and I am very glad to say they were excellent.

Previously my 5 series would get stuck on level ground in the snow and I struggled to get it moving even with a push, but now there is no stopping it, the new worry is the car behind that probably doesn't have the ability to stop as quick as me.

I run Michelin PS2 in summer and that is the best tyre I have had, so the Yokahama W - drive has a lot to keep up with and if I'm honest the grip level reduction in dry weather was noticeable with the Yoko's. In slightly damp weather my traction control light comes on quite often, but in the same conditions the PS2'S wouldn't lose any traction at all (even at the same temperature).

In cold conditions below 7c I feel more confident with the wDrives, I've lost traction a few times on roundabouts but I was pushing it and they were progressive and I maintained control.

The main reason I got these was the brand name and previous glowing reviews on here and a good price for tyres and alloy package but in hindsight I wish I had gone for the Nokians, Michelin Alpine or Continental TS850s

In total I paid £1500 for the alloys and tyres 245 40 18 run flats.
tyre reviewed on December 28, 2014
Given 31% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 535d msport touring (245-40-18-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Had these on my 535d last year, stored over the summer and back on this winter. In temps ranging from 11c to 0c the car is dangerous. Traction control light on the whole time, and like the driver of the 335d Touring, the rear end has no grip and fishtails like mad (that is until t/c cuts in). Genuinely think that these are the most dangerous tyres I have ever had.
tyre reviewed on December 6, 2014
Looking to buy the Yokohama W Drive? Click here to search for the best price for the Yokohama W Drive or any other tyre.
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A5 3.0 tdi quattro sport (225-45-17-)
Can't praise these tyres enough on my A5 Quattro they wear brilliantly, grip very well even through the last 3 summers aswell as winters. In Scotland's weather they are ideal.
tyre reviewed on September 15, 2014
Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Audi TT S (225-45-17-)
I swapped to these winter tyres in Oct, i havent really pushed my car like i would in the warmer dryer weather, but i equally do not hang around, i feel they are a good all round winter tyre, only issue is greasy dirty roads but then again no tyre can deal with that very well.
I am fairly impressed with the grip in minus temperatures, i have had a few slides on corners but they are predictable and i feel its more than likely me expecting too much in the ice, havent tried them in the snow yet.
tyre reviewed on January 14, 2014
Given 41% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 335d (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 500 average miles
I fitted these tyres, sold to me as "premium" to a 2006 BMW 335d Touring. Expecting slight compromises over my usual Summer tyres, I drove fairly cautiously, especially as Winter tyres need a lot of "scrubbing in." What I got was a set of tyres, costing me over £500 that made my car genuinely dangerous. The traction light was constantly on despite gentle driving and the car fishtailed so badly that we avoided overtaking anything. The tyres are back with Yokohama for analysis but I fear they will just be sent back and I will have wasted a lot of money. I'm sure they work fine in snow and ice but they are dreadful in warmer conditions which we experience commonly in a UK Winter. I will update if Yokohama do offer a refund but I am expecting to have to try and sell these terrible tyres on. I'm an IAM and Police trained driver and have owned the car five years so know it very well.
tyre reviewed on December 14, 2013
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Mazda 6 2.0 D (205-55-16-T)
Driving on track for 34,000 easy going miles
Absolutely great tires! So far I have driven 34000 miles using them in various conditions, from dry cold through wet mud up to heavy snow and black ice. Thread is still enough deep. Wear is okay when pressure is okay or even a bit higher than recommended. Otherwise may worn be out far more quick.
tyre reviewed on November 11, 2012
Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a Kia Motors Sportage (235-65-16-H)
Not pushed these tyres to the limit as I am not generaly a fast driver and my first winter with these fitted was unusually mild but I grip has been excellent. The only tiome they broke traction was on a wet diesel covered roundabout and the car refused to turn. The tyes eventually bit and I carried on without too much drama unlike a previous motorist who had skidded off. Wear is so far good and ride is comfortable and quiet.
tyre reviewed on May 26, 2012
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0l Hatchback (205-50-17-W)
Driving on mostly town for 8,000 average miles
No Comments Left
tyre reviewed on April 25, 2012
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDI (205-55-16-V)
Driving on mostly motorways for 15,000 spirited miles
Excellent all-round tyre for winter. It's not a genuine hardcore winter tyre like Nokian Hakappelita, but I guess it's better than other Nokians. Excellent for driving on asphalt in winter. Even managed to get out from wet ground off the road while my right side was on road with ice. Not pricey. Would buy again.
tyre reviewed on May 19, 2011
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi New Lacer (215-45-18-V)
Very impressed by these tyres, they are good both in wet/snow/ice or dry conditions and in pretty much all seasons. However I would not recommend using them in summer.
tyre reviewed on April 1, 2011

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: