Achilles ATR Sport

Show all: Achilles tyres, Passenger Car Summer Ultra High Performance tyres
The Achilles ATR Sport is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars. Below is data from 25 tyre reviews averaging 56% over 200,662 miles driven.

Achilles ATR Sport

61%

48%

Tyre Test Results:

Achilles ATR Sport Reviews

Given 17% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Bravo (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 20,000 spirited miles
**WARNING: DO NOT BUY THESE TYRES**

The worst tyres i've ever had. They were fitted new to the car by the previous owner before he sold the car to me. It was out of goodwill, but now i'm thinking this gentleman wanted to kill me :)

They grip below average in the dry. Progressiveness isn't there: they just let go. Grip gets way less on smoother asphalt. We have very smooth asphalt in general here in Holland. On smooth asphalt they make a sort of
high pitched buzzing noise, they make a grinding noise on older asphalt.'
You can't really feel the position of the front wheels in correlation to the car. I have driven other Bravos, with Conti Sportcontact and Hankook Ventus: They drove very nice.

In the wet they're an absolute deathtrap. The ESP is working overtime. Motorway junctions and roundabouts are outright dangerous. Even going in a straight line is. Starting from a standstill is always a joy.
I'm even annoying other motorists because if have to be very careful and slow, even when conditions are damp. I got into a torrential rainstorm in Belgium and those were some of the most frightening moments in my motoring life.

If you're still reading, you'd probably ask yourself: Why wouldn't this guy just toss them and get better tyres?
I thought i'd keep them for around 10000 miles/15000 KM, to see how they would do. I also thought it to be a waste, because they were brand new.

But there's a problem: they do not wear. I'm quite a sporty/agressive driver and the fronts have 5mm left after 35000KM! Rears have 7mm left.
They're now starting to disintegrate: little chunks are coming off, they also make a terrible noise on the motorway and they vibrate terribly.
I was under the impression that one of the wheel bearings had failed, but no. The tires are now a little over one year old.

If anyone would tell me these are made out of plastic, I would believe them.

I would like to urge everybody to look on for better tires: In the long run they would only cost you more money because you'll probably end up in a ditch. Let me rephrase: They would cost your family money, if you don't have a proper life insurance policy.

For 15 pounds or euros more per tyre, you can buy something like Falken, Hankook or Nexen, which are good value for money. Or better yet, save up for Goodyears, Conti or Michelin.
tyre reviewed on July 26, 2015
Given 41% (breakdown) while driving a Porsche Boxter S (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly country roads for 40,000 spirited miles
I bought a Boxter S with newish Goodyears on the front, and assumed the rears were the same. My mistake as last night I nearly wrote the car off after coming off a slip road, wet surface, rear end went sideways front end straight into barrier, car uncontrollable. Ended up facing the wrong way down a hill.

Checked the tyres today - Achilles on rear! Shit! How could I not have known. Straight into the bin asap. Get rid of these dangerous tyres.

tyre reviewed on May 16, 2015
Looking to buy the Achilles ATR Sport? Click here to search for the best price for the Achilles ATR Sport or any other tyre.

Given 29% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 530d F11 (245-40-19-)
Came with the car. Best thing I did was to take them off and throw them away. If you see someone else with these tyres on their car stay a long distance away from them.
tyre reviewed on April 18, 2015
Given 37% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall Vectra (215-50-17-)
OK - some people have said that these tyres might be ok on a FWD car with limited power. Well basically no, just don't do it. With a mighty 140 bhp and weighting 1.5 tonnes these tyres spin in second whilst rolling in the wet. How can that be, a 1.8 Vectra is no supercar?! Lethal pulling away in the wet, and braking and cornering. They switch to massive understeer with no warning. And they crack along the tread lines. How I have kept using them for 20000 miles i have no idea, an i must change them before i die. If anything the older they are the worse they have gotten.
tyre reviewed on February 10, 2015
Given 41% (breakdown) while driving a Audi TT S (245-35-19-W)
Driving on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
A new set of these was on the car when I purchased it. They are hands down the worst tyres I have ever experienced. Ever.

Dry grip was ok but when pushed they had a tendency to understeer quite badly and without warning. At other times they were simply unpredictable, which is the last thing you want in a tyre.

Wet grip was simply non-existant. Just forget it. How these tyres are legal to put on cars I cannot fathom. They are downright dangerous. As another reviewer pointed out, perhaps these would be acceptable in an FWD with less than 100hp, but don't try them in a performance car. Its like trying to race a marathon in clogs.

They lasted ~500 miles before I pulled them off and replaced them with Bridgestone S001s. A good set of tyres will transform your car - as will a bad set.
tyre reviewed on January 8, 2015
Given 14% (breakdown) while driving a Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo (245-35-19-W)
Utterly Dreadful!!! Dry performance very substandard. Wet performance, non existent. Not sure if I got lemons, and I have read about bad batches but these tyres trully are appalling. I had these on the fronts when I bought the car at about 80-90% tread and Nexen's 6000's on the back and well, I thought the Nexen's were bad. Once they were chewed the Achillies went on the back and after a few thousand k's these are gone to. My car has kicked sidways changing into 4th gear at 100+ km/h in the wet, seriously should these tyres even be legal? All appropriate wheel ailments done and as my ride is stock at the moment (about 360hp),with a lot more hp to come, these things are a death wish. A FWD with less horses under the bonnet you may be ok but if your serious about driveing steer well clear of these suckers. Sorry for the long winded review just felt I had worn others and believe me, in the wet, this review may save your ride and hell, maybe even your life!
tyre reviewed on December 7, 2014
Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Proton Persona 1.6 (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 200 spirited miles
In Malaysia*

Went to a very spirited drive in the mountain roads in this set of cheap sporty tyres.
Mild tyre melting with superbbb grip although my car is just 118hp but 1300kg.
RM165 is damn good price. Even at 195/60R15, 32psi works wonders.
Being the only sport tyre in this size, 100% will buy another set.
tyre reviewed on December 1, 2014
Given 32% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota MK2 MR2 Turbo (225-50-16-W)
Driving on mostly town for 0 average miles
These were fitted to the rear of my 310bhp 1995 MR2 turbo when I bought it at the end of August - I'd intended to change them relatively soon but as many of us do, we put it off..

Wish I hadn't, as I wrote the car off last week thanks to a combination of wet roads, applying too much power and these useless tyres.. Driving in a straight line - put my foot down in second, the back end flicked out, I counter-steered and then of course the back end overtook the front as MR2's are known to do!

Probably fantastic for a little econobox hatchback, but I emplore you - please don't risk your pride and joy sports/performance car by fitting these. The back end even came out a few times in the dry previous to me crashing, completely without warning and driving nowhere near the limits of the car! They're not progressive at all and offer very little in terms of communicating with the driver.

I've bought a set of Yokohama AD08R's now to fit on my MR2, as repairing a car is a hassle I could do without.
tyre reviewed on November 24, 2014
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo (235-40-18-)
Using these tyres for the fronts of my car, really surprised at the level of grip it has. I was using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 previously and I'm glad to have chosen Achilles as replacements, they perform very very close to the level of the Goodyears.
Stable during hard braking, limit is very high and gives ample signal before breaking traction. The most impressive is the wet performance, handled wet/damp winding mountain roads with ease.
Definitely worth the price paid, exceeding expectations.
tyre reviewed on September 14, 2014
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 1.9 TDI (225-30-19-)
Had these on back A4 b6 130 tdi remap

Not had any issues, was advised by garage to get Autogrip, to replace fronts. Autogrip are not good not lasted and already needing changed ahead of the two year older

Achilles on back. Just purchased 4 more ATR sport in slightly bigger size of 235 35 19 at £56.00 each so fingers crossed. Will post update after swapping and running all four. Drive sensibly but occasional mischief has not left me worried or concerned. You wouldn't go for a jog with your timbies on.

Drove in wet and snow (Scotland) never worried. The achilles is a great tyre for the price.
tyre reviewed on September 1, 2014

Want this tyre? TyreReviews has joined forces with cartyres.com to offer unbeatable prices on the best rated tyres. Combine the trust of your local fitting centre with these great prices on the best tyres on the market!
Search by Tyre Size: