Maxxis Premitra HP5

The Maxxis Premitra HP5 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Maxxis PRO R1

Tyre review data from 10 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 41,012 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2018 Ace 235/45 R18 Summer Tyre Test - 6th of 11 tyres

2017 Auto Bild Summer SUV Tyre Test - 6th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good traction on wet roads, low rolling resistance, surprisingly good traction in sand and mud, cheap
  • Negative - Very low traction on wet grass and gravel, inaccurate response to steering, noisy

2018 AutoBild Summer Tyre Overview - 9th of 47 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Maxxis Premitra HP5
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Maxxis Premitra HP5. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Maxxis Premitra HP5 Review

Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Suzuki Swift 1,2 2013 (195/55 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 1,500 average miles
Applied this Maxxis HP5 on my wife's Suzuki Swift for 6 weeks/2500KM. At the first week these HP5 surprised me very much, I can even drift the little Swift at 80Km/hr on corners without braking it and no tyre crying noise. However, after 1500 KM, I found loud ZZZ noise up the highway driving at over 80Km/hr. Other than bad noise comfort, I actually feel the grips on wet/dry are quite above average. Recommended only for racing enthusiastic people who do not mind the noise. Me I cannot stand it cause it really trigger my tinnitus.
96 - tyre reviewed on August 9, 2016

Latest Maxxis Premitra HP5 Reviews

Have you driven on the Maxxis Premitra HP5 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Premitra HP5.

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz C350 RWD (255/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Normally always run continental contact sport 5, but they wear out extremely fast. So decided to go for the hp5 after reading its excellent reviews and ratings for the wet. I always enjoy driving hard in the rain where its safe to do so. (yes i may be a nutter) but i enjoy good grip and traction while doing so. These tyres have mininal slide on full acceleration, can accelerate out of bends too without the car fishtailing but pushed hard enough there is good feedback from the tyre before it wants to fully let go into a drift per say. Very similar to the tyres i have ran before but abit more spongy when throwing the car around. But quality and grip for money, i have ran these tyres down to almost the bead but if driven sensibly i would assume near double the millage that i have done. I will be replacing these tyres with the same set they suit my driving stye and car very well and and cheap isnt the word compared to top tyre manufacturers tyres with almost the same drivability. If you are a spirited driver with a budget these are definitely the tyres to go for
14 - tyre reviewed on January 3, 2018
Trying to pick the BEST tyre possible for your car? Watch this!
Given 63% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo C30 1.8 (205/50 R17 V) on mostly motorways for 6,000 easy going miles
After dubbing a lot between these tyres or Vredestein Ultrac Satin, I chose the Maxxis. Reviews I read were pretty fine, good grip in wet and dry, a little bit higher wear, but a little bit ain't that bad at a price of €62 each, compared to €85 for Vredestein.

Today, after about 10,000kms I thought it was a good idea to check the wear. They've been on the rear axle all the time, so wear shouldn't be too bad. After all, I had Vredestein Sportrac5 before for 46,000km and they're still going strong at the front axle with another 30,000kms done (76,000 in total!). These have to be replaced now, so a good moment to check whether Maxxis is doing well.

Immediately upon checking the wear it seemed my tyre pressure must have been too low. 1.5mm wear at the sides, 0.5 in the middle. But I checked, 2.5bar, as I always had before, and what Volvo advices. I set them to 3bars, but I don't think it will be comfortable..

So.. 1.5mm in 10,000km.. = 6mm in just 40,000km, and they have to be replaced... Just 40,000km on the rear axle.. that's bad. If my former Vredestein would've been on the rear all the time, they might have hit 100,000km.. and the price of Maxxis is certainly not more than half of Vredestein..

Grip in wet and dry is fine. They're pretty noisy, also a bad thing.
I won't buy these tyres again, they wear out far too fast.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 6, 2017
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 SE 2.0 TDI 136 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Put these on the front axle to replace the Michelin Premacy HPs which were brilliant and covered 25000 miles but I wasn't going to pay £110 a corner to replace them. I've driven 10000 miles on these so far and they are wearing well with over 5mm left. They're a bit noisier and don't handle quite as well as the Michelins but they aren't that far behind and at £55 each they're half the price which seems a bargain for a Maxxis tyre
15 - tyre reviewed on May 29, 2017
Given 23% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen 2.0 TDI 4Motion 16V (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
Hello I’m very careful when choosing my tyres as I’ve experienced poor quality tyres before! I’m in the garage trade! I’m a time served mechanic I currently own a VW golf VII 4 motion 2.0TDI running on tyre size - 2055516 91v now I’ve had maxxis hp5 as a recommendation by a tyre expert in the know! so I’ve been running on the hp 5 shows which a labelled at A for wet grip & C for fuel efficiently I was very suspicious to how they have better grades than the Michelin energy saver that originally came off the car yet maxxis is a lot cheaper, now I I’ve currently done 6231 miles and there not far from legal limit with only 2mm to go before hitting the wear indicator leaving the tyre at 1.6mm that in my opinion is false economy, however I do long journeys 50 miles round trip to work and back daily so maybe tyres getting to much heat or rubber compound to soft but then this does not make sense due to the current low temperature so I’m left confused about the wear! stability is great in a straight line in the dry and wet roads in a straight line however I find it’s not the best at higher speed 50-60 in the wet whilst cornering or manuvering and feels a little of balance compare to Michelin energy saves that came off the car, the wet grip to be fair is good for town driving just don’t expect to drive your car hard or any high speed cornering a little too scary for me I would recommend placing tyre purchases very carefully a higher end mid range a tyre with a brand backed by a premium tyre manufacture the end of the day if I’m to purchase a mid range tyre I’m best looking for the right tyre balance, more focus on wet grip and tyre “wear” unfortunately the tyre labels don’t show wear! Why is this! If tyre wear was graded this would change the way we purchase tyres, a balanced tyres make more sense to me! Overall all the maxis hp5 is not a bad tyre although ive had better tyre grip & tyre wear and would rather spend a little more to improve quality of tyre more miles and wet grip stability please maxxis just not quiet got the balance right, there for I’ve balanced my score on price vs quality and believe it’s a fair balance.
10 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2017