Maxxis Premitra HP5

The Maxxis Premitra HP5 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Maxxis PRO R1

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 73% over 75,032 miles driven.

Reports

2019 SUV 4x4 Summer Tyre Test - 5th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Great aquaplaning resistance, good handling on dry and wet roads.
  • Negative - Weak grip on grass and sand.
  • Overall - Exemplary.

2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 17th of 20 tyres

• Positive - Well priced, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Slight understeer in the dry and wet, slow steering response, average mileage.
  • Overall - Conditionally recommended.

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - 20th of 45 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Maxxis Premitra HP5
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Maxxis Premitra HP5. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Maxxis Premitra HP5 Review

Given 70% while driving a Suzuki Swift 1,2 2013 (195/55 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 1,500 average miles
Applied this Maxxis HP5 on my wife's Suzuki Swift for 6 weeks/2500KM. At the first week these HP5 surprised me very much, I can even drift the little Swift at 80Km/hr on corners without braking it and no tyre crying noise. However, after 1500 KM, I found loud ZZZ noise up the highway driving at over 80Km/hr. Other than bad noise comfort, I actually feel the grips on wet/dry are quite above average. Recommended only for racing enthusiastic people who do not mind the noise. Me I cannot stand it cause it really trigger my tinnitus.
134 - tyre reviewed on August 9, 2016

Latest Maxxis Premitra HP5 Reviews

Have you driven on the Maxxis Premitra HP5 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Premitra HP5.

Given 43% while driving a SEAT Leon 2.0 TFSI (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Good grip in the dry, but not great grip in the wet. They are not ditchfinders like some budget tyres in the fact that they won't throw you off the road a the sight of a wet roundabout, but they still spin up easily or make the car understeer when moderately provoked. My other car is fitted with Goodyear Eagle f1 Assymetric 3's which are leagues better.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 1, 2018
Given 60% while driving a Ford Mondeo TDCI (205/55 R16 R) on a combination of roads for 2,500 average miles
Mondeo front tyres bought 30/05/2018 will last approx.3000 miles . Very dissapointing
9 - tyre reviewed on October 30, 2018
Looking for new tyres? Watch this video now!
Given 73% while driving a Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2012 (205/60 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
Maxxis HP5 is good in the wet. I suppose it can be used for 40000~45000km.
It's a high cost/performance tire.

0 - tyre reviewed on October 9, 2018
Given 71% while driving a Vauxhall Vectra (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 9,500 average miles
Bought these at a £60 a corner, which at this size (215/55R16) is a bargain price.
Pros & neutral: The tyres grip very nicely, whether in dry or wet. Handling, while not as good as straight braking, is good and sure. Noise is on par with than any other tyre I remember (and I used mostly premium tyres so far), comfort is fine. Road feedback is fine, as well as progressiveness (for most of their life), and they were quite resistant to aquaplanning. One thing worth mentioning is they bring about a little steering numbness on straight when driving at speed - but that can be an advantage on a motorway, depending how you look at it. I have to say they are better and cheaper than the Avon ZV7s I had before.
Cons: The wear and how they behave at the end of their life.
I've been driving my car, a Vectra diesel, for the last 9 years and from that I know that, with its big lump and torque, it EATS tyres on the front axle like there is no tomorrow. However, after 9500 miles one of the tyres is at the wear mark, which, even taking into account the above, is poor.
The other issue is that upon reaching 2mm thread depth these tyres started losing grip on handling (but not braking) at the slightest sign of dampness. With ease, without warning and any progression, which makes them downright dangerous.
So, to sum it up: good tyres, unexpectedly enjoyable to drive, but wear fast and once 80% worn, they suddenly become terrible, so best if changed early. Whether I would buy again or not depends on whether I could find them at the price I got them last year.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 7, 2018
Given 78% while driving a Saab Automobile 2.0T (210bhp) (215/55 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 20 average miles
David Burford of Saabtech recommended these tyres to me. My Saab 95 had recently passed its MOT, but I got it in my head to change the Michelin Primacy on the rear and Dunlop Sport Bluresponse on the front. I read the reviews on the Maxxis HP5 manufactured by the 9th biggest tyre company in the world, China's Cheng Shin Tyre Company. With reference to whether the wear of the tyre justifies the cost, my review is this: new budget tyres are much better than worn premium tyres. I won't comment on the highly subjective personal ratings, but point out this tyre is A rated for wet grip, C rated for fuel economy, and certified 70db for noise. Saabtech fit the tyre, balanced and disposal of the old tyre for 55 pounds a corner. Well worth it, I'd say.
10 - tyre reviewed on May 27, 2018